The Water Cooler – Late-Night Television – Past & Present

January 15, 2019 12:00 pm · 36 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday around noon.

Today’s question:

Do you watch any late-night talk shows or news programs? If so, which one do you watch, and which one from the past do you miss?

Talk about it….

Simonpure January 15, 2019 at 12:02 PM

Don’t stay up late anymore but Johnny was the man!

WC January 15, 2019 at 1:24 PM

That covers it.

Roz January 15, 2019 at 1:28 PM

Yep, Same Here!…enjoyed Johnny too.
But now, crashing out around 10 pm and up at 4:00 am +/-

Abbie R. January 15, 2019 at 12:04 PM

Do not watch any of them…The Joe Pyne Show in the late 1960’s is the one I miss.

Kentucky Derby January 15, 2019 at 12:08 PM

Currently – no. Past – I miss Johnny Carson and Jay Leno, especially Carson. Watched it almost every night.

Awww... January 15, 2019 at 12:11 PM

I REALLY REALLY miss the original Johnny Carson show! It was funny, entertaining and just plain wonderful!! Always begged my dad to be able to stay up and watch it!
Don’t watch any of the stuff now…not interested!

Dawg January 15, 2019 at 12:20 PM

I stopped watching late night TV when Jay Leno left. The one I miss the most is Johnny Carson.
Carson and Leno had class, they didn’t show any favoritism and made fun of everybody equally without any contempt.

Amigo January 15, 2019 at 12:21 PM

Fernwood Tonight.

Nightmare Patrol January 15, 2019 at 4:44 PM

Hear, hear!! Fernwood Tonight, nothing can beat Bath Gimble and Jerry Hubbard (Martin & Fred) at the end of the day. Carson of course,Tom Snyder, SCTV and Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert. As cheesy as DKRC was I watched some great Bands perform at 0100 on Sunday mornings.

Kentucky Derby January 15, 2019 at 6:36 PM

Don’t forget Midnight Special with Wolfman Jack. Best rock bands – late night TV style.

I'm The Urban Spaceman January 15, 2019 at 11:48 PM

I loved Fernwood nee America Tonight. A lot of improve on-set…William W.D. Bud Prize (Kenneth Mars) was my favorite guest.

Publius January 15, 2019 at 12:25 PM

All the stuff now is just adolescent vulgarity. Kimmel, Fallon, etc. are horrible
Carson was the best along with Leno next

TOB January 15, 2019 at 12:30 PM

Like many who’ve already commented. Johnny Carson! Don’t feel there is a close 2nd in my opinion.

Jo January 15, 2019 at 12:43 PM

Totally agree with all of above comments regarding Johnny Carson. Leno couldn’t even replace him. Carson was respectful to his guests and wasn’t always looking for the quick laugh and talking over his guests. He wasn’t political and took jabs equally at all politicians. He was funny without even trying.

DVC Student January 15, 2019 at 12:51 PM

I watched Johnny Carson, then would watch David Letterman immediately after on NBC. I followed David Letterman to CBS. He was hip & loved that he would throw his pencil over his should as he was going to commercial. I liked when Johnny Carson would do skits & David Letterman would do something outside of the studio.

But then as both got older, they both just did interviews only & it got boring.

Original G January 15, 2019 at 1:01 PM

Late night TV is about promoting latest projects of guests don’t watch.
As for news programs, inclu8ding cable “news”, . . .
news takes a back seat to pushing of political agendas.

As for TV in general never watch it in real time. See NO reason to watch any commercials. Record mostly financial or those dealing with stock market.

Johnny Ringo January 15, 2019 at 1:12 PM

Carson, Leno, even Letterman (till he kowtow’d to then senate candidate Hillary) were great.
Now they don’t deliver comedy monologues anymore. They deliver bitter rants.

DVC Student January 15, 2019 at 1:13 PM

I only liked Jay Leno when he was a guest host for Johnny Carson on Fridays. I didn’t think he was funny once he became the full-time host & that began my experience of not watching lat night talk shows. I would tune into David Letterman but not as much.

Cowellian January 15, 2019 at 1:43 PM

I never used to stay up long enough to watch late night TV. I do stay up late now, but if I’m watching TV it’s something I’ve recorded or something I’m streaming.

Kirkwood January 15, 2019 at 1:59 PM

I can’t stand the language and bitterness of anybody but Fallon. At least he trys to entertain. I couldn’t stay up for TV while in the working world. After retirement, the bedroom TV goes off at midnight but I’m usually asleep by then.

Hope A Johnson January 15, 2019 at 2:09 PM

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver – only on once a week but never miss it.

NoMoreFreeRide January 15, 2019 at 3:44 PM

Late night TV died when Johnny Carson retired!

ClayDen January 15, 2019 at 3:52 PM

Carson was the best, but Leno was a close second. I watch a few minutes of Fallon about once a month, but he’s too much of a “fan boy” to watch very much of. The others are much worse, so I don’t watch them. There are other things to do, including much better TV to watch.

Clayton Squirrel January 15, 2019 at 4:43 PM

Many of the current late show hosts are multi-talented and can produce some pretty great clips that many watch on YouTube the next day. James Corden had a fantastic car karaoke episode with Paul McCartney that was later turned into a 30 minute special that my elderly mother-in-law also enjoyed. I think they have good hearts and are more kind and relatable than the hosts of the past. Stephen Colbert is my favorite but John Oliver and Seth Meyers produce eye opening segments that are very informative. Jimmy Kimmel is a good guy. Most of them do a lot of charity work. Yes, my daughter bought me “Whose Boat is this Boat?” for Christmas as part of the campaign that raised over a million dollars for hurricane victims.

RANDOM TASK January 15, 2019 at 4:57 PM

Well Fallon was ok when it first started now it’s just a dem propaganda machine that bashes trump and depicts the other party as bad
It’s like Germany 1935 all over again
Tv and media all following a party agenda and slamming anyone who disagrees
Sad really even kids cartoons are now envoking dem agendas
The reality is a socialist agenda just takes away freedom
It denounced everything else and does not allow you to choose it just shoved it in your face and demands you comply

The dems are pushing hard for socialism and I hope everyone is prepared to pay for everyone else and lose all your freedoms

SeeK January 15, 2019 at 5:33 PM

Johnny Carson was great…I was very young when I watched him. And David Letterman a close second.

Now I record and watch later: 1. Stephen Colbert, 2. Jimmy Kimmel, 3. Seth Meyer, 4. jimmy Fallon and would rate them in that order. I don’t watch the entire show, just the first 15-20 minutes of each. Stephen Colbert is amazingly clever. His jokes and delivery are always spot on.

mcb January 15, 2019 at 5:45 PM

come on folks. creature features. bob wilkins. chn. 2.

Dr. Jellyfinger January 15, 2019 at 8:22 PM

Night Flight…. Mystery Science Theater 2000

Dawg January 15, 2019 at 10:07 PM

Remember when the price slasher was a hackin and a hewin with Jay Brown on the Spartan Dodge late nite movies? It was on channel 36 when they used Carol Doda as the perfect 36.

Rollo Tomasi January 15, 2019 at 6:57 PM

Carson and Letterman. Haven’t watched any since Letterman retired. They all use politics as too much of a crutch and it’s always one sided. Now if I’m up that late I’m watching sports that I’ve recorded.

Double Dzzz January 15, 2019 at 7:00 PM

most of these late night shows are a 1 sided president hating shows that spew fake crap that bring down our country,s office. you late night idiots can still be funny without being hate promoters. sicking I think . as for all of you who like all the bashing, you can move to Canada or Mexico. or show support our country!

FlyingSpaghettiMonsterCatcher January 15, 2019 at 11:01 PM
Silva January 17, 2019 at 8:08 AM

O M G !!!!!😊😁😂🤣 That was good.

Justifiable Languor January 16, 2019 at 5:34 AM

No one watched Dick Cavette? Johnny Carson, too. I still employ Ed McMahons’ chortle on occasion. No one has mentioned Elvira or Carol Doda. They were icons only, I guess. But notable in a weird way.

Dr. Jellyfinger January 17, 2019 at 9:37 AM

Elvira & Carol Doda?
Heck yes! I remember all four of them.

Dr. Jellyfinger January 17, 2019 at 9:44 AM

What about the very first original “Tonight Starring Steve Allen” ?

The grand master who started it all….