The Water Cooler – Hulu, Amazon Or Netflix?

January 14, 2019 12:07 pm · 34 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

Which streaming service do you prefer, and why? Hulu, Netflix or Amazon Prime Video? Also, do you ever use Redbox anymore since most movies are now available online?

Talk about it….

Kanopy January 14, 2019 at 12:28 PM

Kanopy! It’s the best kept secret out there. I just recently signed up and love it. It’s free streaming video available through the public library. Just go to their website ccclib.org and click on the link to set up an account with your library card. Lots of classics, indie films, award winning films, educational, foreign, etc.

Captain Bebops January 15, 2019 at 9:18 AM

Thumbs up on the TCL with Roku. I’ve had a 4K one since 2016. It’s very easy to add “channels”. Roku also has it’s own ad supported free TV service.

anon666 January 14, 2019 at 12:33 PM

I have all of those and probably use Hulu the most. I barley used it before going for the subscription with no ads. It’s 100% worth the extra cost to me.

Michael Langley January 14, 2019 at 12:38 PM

We use both Netflix and Amazon equally. We think Amazon has superior original programming, but Netflix has the depth and variety that appeals to us. My daughter sometimes visits with a Redbox selection that she felt was good enough to get immediately, an occurrence that only happens about twice a year. Hulu was a rare choice that we neglect. Prime time programming on television leaves us cold. We enjoy 60 minutes, The Daily Show, sports, and news programs. For most entertainment we stream. We do not use a DVR. If we miss a show, we will be content to wait for a rerun or stream at a later date.

mohairs January 14, 2019 at 1:18 PM

YouTube TV allows any show to be recorded and kept for 9 months in your own library for later viewing. And even the Live TV shows can be stopped / started again when you want and even go back to look at something again if desired. All this technology was new for us so apologies if the technology is already familiar or old for some. 🙂

TOB January 14, 2019 at 1:16 PM

I don’t have a favorite. Prime comes with my membership as does Xfinity Stream with my cable which I enjoy and can afford. I also get Netflix.

Fred January 14, 2019 at 1:20 PM

I’m old so I still use Netflix but for DVD. Best selection of movies, including obscure old stuff. A little slow on the newest movies. Otherwise I use Streampix which is Comcast to catch tv shows I miss.

Silva January 14, 2019 at 3:36 PM

I still like Netflix DVDs too. I like obscure old movies and documentaries and stuff too.

Captain Bebops January 14, 2019 at 1:31 PM

I have Netflix, Hulu but not Amazon Prime because I don’t need to order much from Amazon. There is no OTA (Over The Air) here so Hulu takes care of most of the broadcast network stuff. Hulu also started getting some of the foreign series that Netfilx had and their “originals” such as “The Handmaid’s Tale” is excellent. I pay the extra on Hulu to have it ad free.

As for the Prime shows I can catch up yearly by buying a month of Prime. There are also free movies on VUDU (owned by Walmart), Crackle, and Tubi TV all ad driven but not that many ads. The latter is second only to Netflix in the amount of content available.

Strad January 14, 2019 at 1:31 PM

Haven’t signed up for any yet. Still looking.

LimeRidge Larry January 14, 2019 at 1:52 PM

Youtube TV is the bomb diggity.

Jack's Fan January 14, 2019 at 2:35 PM

All three fairly equally, SlingTV for sports, along with a few others have mentioned already. We do use RedBox for new releases from time-to-time too.

All together I probably pay more for streaming services and broadband than I did with a monthly cable bill, but I sure don’t miss the commercials at all.

Cowellian January 14, 2019 at 2:50 PM

I don’t enjoy going to movie theaters, so we have Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu (plus Acorn for my wife). Hulu has been the biggest disappointment to me. Amazon video was just a bonus to having Prime.

I used to have Comcast Internet and DirecTV, so if one service went out, we had a backup. Now I have UVerse for everything, and if they go out, all I have is the DVR. That’s why I’m not interested in anyone’s Cloud DVR services.

The Grant January 14, 2019 at 2:51 PM

I was able to get on the Black Friday deal with Hulu where I pay $0.99 cents / month – totally worth it.

We use Amazon extensively so we are also prime members.

Netflix is also worth the $10/month.

We cut the cord back in 2011

Roz January 14, 2019 at 3:11 PM

I will be watching these post, for we don’t have any streaming services.
We were thinking about getting Hulu and maybe Philo? since it covers most of what we like to view. My hubby and I are not tech savvy, don’t have cell phones (or smartphones).
I tried to learn on YouTube how to set up/plug ins of the Roku we rented, it was all greek to me, just like the darn play station to watch DVD’s. All the darn remotes! It seem like I would have to jump through hoops just watch a T.V. program.
Is there somewhere I can learn all this stuff?
I totally dis-like my cable bill has jumped to high, even thought we got on a new promo. T.V. on, pick a station, I’m there.

Scoob January 14, 2019 at 5:24 PM

Steps:
1. Cancel cable TV
2. Get Wave high speed internet 100 mbps (megabytes per second) minimum (250 mbps is $79 a month, and will meet all your needs)
3. Buy an Apple TV $400 (I prefer 4k version) and hook it up to your TV (with an hdmi cable), including creating an Apple account, and buying a high data flow hdmi cable for 4k (Zeskit Cinema Plus 28AWG on Amazon for $12). Netflix and Amazon prime (and many other awesome services) are available on the Apple TV and are easy to use
3. Subscribe to Amazon Prime ($119 a year) and save money buying stuff on Amazon instead of in stores. The Prime video is part of the package and has amazing content
4. Subscribe to Netflix $12 a month
5. Consider HBO Now Subscription $15 a month
Optional: LG OLED TVs are getting very affordable now and are awesome
Optional: Get Hulu free with your Sprint cell phone account subscription (also an Apple TV app)
*If you are technology clueless, have the neighbor teenager help you hook all this up.

anon666 January 14, 2019 at 5:54 PM

Look into a TV that has Roku integrated into it. I’ve got a couple from TCL (43″ and 49″) that were cheap and I have no complaints about the quality. They’re 4k 2017 models.

When it comes to Netflix or Hulu you just have to set up an account (easiest on the computer) and then log into them with the TV.

If you can navigate through the normal Comcast cable TV stuff you could handle these TVs. I don’t have cable at my house so mine is used exclusively for Netflix, Hulu and Amazon video. Turn the TV on, click the icon for the service you want and you’re good to go.

The remote even has a Netflix and a Hulu button on it. Hit one of them and it will pull up that app.

Roz January 14, 2019 at 6:06 PM

Hey Scoob,
Thanks for the INFO,…my Hubby said it’s helpful.
We have the Wave high speed, and have hdmi cable, so partly on the right path. So we will check out the other stuff,…Thanks!

Dorothy January 14, 2019 at 3:43 PM

I have Netflix but only because the gandkids and great grandkids like movies on it.

Cowellian January 14, 2019 at 4:19 PM

I do like that Netflix has a Kids section, so we are only scrolling through movies and shows that are appropriate,

Lisa lisa January 14, 2019 at 5:45 PM

Hulu is the best!

Kathy England January 14, 2019 at 11:06 PM

I’m so confused!! Would love to cut the cable but I watch a number of Channel 7 programs and my hubby watches a lot of cable. Are we doomed to keep cable TV?

Jen January 15, 2019 at 11:02 AM

Kathy ~ Not doomed! Cut the cord! Either get a smart TV, or roku’s for your TV’s. That is a must. Step 2 research Hulu vs Sling on what programs you like. I use Hulu for my weekly nightly shows, let them add up then I can binge or watch one or whatever, whenever. You could do a combination of these Apps – Netlfix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Sling, etc. I have all 3, no sling. Do not need it for my household. Have not seen a commercial in years!
You will figure it out. I suggest while you are still on contract with cable to start using roku – need that or a smart tv – to be able to add the apps and test it out. Most of these apps will give you a 30 days free trial. Just remember to look up on how to cancel in case you want to.

Kathy England January 14, 2019 at 11:11 PM

I’m so confused! I watch a lot of Channel 7 programs and my hubby likes certain cable programs. Any recommendations to cut the cable? We do have Amazon Prime and Netflix. Thanks!

watchingthisthread January 15, 2019 at 8:16 AM

We’ve got six months left before I cut ties with Comcast. For those with T-Mobile, we get Netflix for free, so make sure you stop paying out of your own wallet and have T-Mobile cover that bill for you. Other providers pay for other services too, so research and save money.
We have Amazon Prime, Netflix and I’m considering Hulu, ugh, so much more to research.
Thanks for those that have posted their usage and experience.
Mayor, now please cover Nest vs Ring, etc. 🙂
Thanks

Cowellian January 15, 2019 at 8:35 AM

Funny how this question comes up just as Netflix is raising its prices.
The cheap plan is going from $7.99 to $8.99.
The two-stream HD plan is going from $10.99 to $12.99.
And the four-stream 4K plan is going from $13.99 to $15.99.

Captain Bebops January 15, 2019 at 9:15 AM

Just read this morning that Netflix is raising rates again. I’ve been saying they’re spending a lot of money on shows that people don’t watch. You could tell this by the way they have been canceling series after two seasons and now even one season. Seeing how Paramount rolled into Martinez like a military unit to shoot a few scenes for “13 Reasons Why” I could see where all the money goes and Hollywood loves Netflix.

I tend to watch the shows they pick up from foreign sources often done on meager budgets but rich in storytelling. American shows are often over produced and formulaic, plagued by “notes” from studio executives with no talent for the arts.

CM January 15, 2019 at 9:23 AM

I have all three and watch all three. I find Hulu’s interface annoying so if I can watch the same show on Prime, I do that.

Wave just scrambled all its tv channels, including KQED and KQED+. I hate Wave. If I didn’t have my email there, I would kick them to the curb in a second. Not sure if the others are any better.

Cowellian January 15, 2019 at 10:01 AM

We liked Astound, but we never used their email addresses. The last time I had an email address from an internet service provider (ISP) was with Slip.net, way back in the dial-up days. I’ve had many different ISPs since then, but I haven’t been tied to any of them. In addition to my own domains, I also have free Yahoo and Gmail accounts.

Get yourself a new email account, start using it immediately, and ask all your contacts to switch to it. Then, when you do need to change your ISP, it won’t have any impact on your email.

Lo January 15, 2019 at 10:09 AM

I have and use all 3. All 3 have originals that I have come to love, what I watch that isn’t “original” to one or the other has little rhyme or reason to be honest. I’m eclectic and my mood varies from cartoon to horror.

Silva January 15, 2019 at 12:24 PM

How do you know what you want to watch with Roku before that very moment? I couldn’t find any kind of programming menu or any indication of what the channels are even showing as you surf through. If there are commercials on you have to wait there for the programming to come back. Sometimes that’s several commercials later. It makes surfing a mite slow. At least that’s how I remember it when I tried it. The TV watcher here wouldn’t be able to deal.

Captain Bebops January 15, 2019 at 4:38 PM

Streaming is a different concept than broadcast or live TV. You generally know what you want to watch and who has it so you go there and start the show when you want, no appointment needed. OTOH, you can also go to the streaming channel and look through content available and find stuff you’re interested in watching and play it when you want. You can try a lot of these out with a browser.

Silva January 15, 2019 at 8:26 PM

Ah, so that’s streaming! Thank you, Captain Bebops.

cut the cord January 15, 2019 at 5:37 PM

I use Hulu live TV for local channels, sports etc. see channel line up at hulu.com $43 month no commercial deal on demand stuff.
I use netflix and like the original content $15 mo.
I have amazon but do not like the user interface, but i buy a lot of stuff on amazon so its $120 yr or $10
wave for 250 with double data ON a promo so that is $32 month when wave raises price i go down and complain and they put me on another promo usually so that’s cool…… and no cable all i miss is the channel surfing but i am getting used to it.