What’s Recyclable Now? Mt. Diablo Resource Recovery Answers Your Question

January 11, 2019 10:00 am · 50 comments

If you’re wondering what you can and can’t recycle, here are a few images of what you are allowed to throw in your recycle bin, courtesy of Mt. Diablo Resource Recovery.

Clean glass is also accepted.

(click on each image for a much larger view)

Mick January 11, 2019 at 10:06 AM

This is confusing. I received an updated list from the Mt. Diablo Resource Recovery, on that they claim they accept #5 & #7 plastics as well. This chart shows #1 & #2 only. Can somebody verify that?

Anonymous January 11, 2019 at 12:39 PM

Yes, they had a card in one of their recent mailings that said plastic #1 – 7 with the exception of #6. They don’t take #6

Barney R January 11, 2019 at 10:12 AM

We throw everything in recycle can except food. Not my concern what is and what isn’t according to the guidelines they can sort it out.
Oh and we don’t wash anything or rinse out. They don’t like it then we won’t recycle at all and throw it all in one regular can with food stuff.

Mark F. January 11, 2019 at 11:13 AM

If you can’t even take the time to split out garbage from Recyclable materials then just throw it in the garbage. The reason recycling is getting harder to get accomplished is because those that take recycling need clean items. If it’s dirty plastic, wash it. If it’s dirty cardboard throw it away. Lazy folks that can’t be bothered to do the right thing make it harder for the rest of us that care about our environment.

T. Payne January 11, 2019 at 12:24 PM

In other words, waste water to clean your trash. 🙂

Anonymous January 11, 2019 at 12:41 PM

I don’t waste water washing it because I just put salad dressing bottles and yogurt containers and the like in my dishwasher. I’m going to be running the dishwasher anyway. So no waste.

Roz January 11, 2019 at 12:57 PM

Hey Anonymous,
Good Tip and Great Idea!!,…I don’t have a dishwasher, but I do wash recycles when I wash dishes.

Barney R January 11, 2019 at 1:13 PM

Mark..
Like hell I’m gonna wash out all my recyclables and clean em up. What’s next sterilize them all also?

Dawg January 11, 2019 at 2:25 PM

I agree with Barney. Seems like everybody wants their customers to do their job for them. We have to unload our own shopping carts and pump our own gas all in the guise of saving money. Now the garbage company wants us to clean and sort our garbage.
What are we paying them for? The garbage company has a large sorting facility and they do the job just fine. The more foolish customers do their job for them, the more they will lay off workers.

Bad sorters January 12, 2019 at 10:31 PM

I agree that everything should go in the recycling unfortunately they don’t because they’re trying to sort out the cleaner stuff because it cost them less. Example they don’t take wire hangers all them clean it clogs up their machines because you’re just not doing a good job of sorting. Paper towel that’s been used go in landfill or I should say it now can go in the newer recycling bin that’s coming out

WC Resident January 11, 2019 at 10:31 AM

The list of what’s recyclable seems to vary by city and also changes every so often. For example, my garbage company is Republic Services which has a contract with Walnut Creek. Unfortunately, they have one of the worse web sites as it’s next to impossible to figure out what the rules of the day are in terms of what’s allowed or not. Even their holiday pickup schedule is a mystery. Last week some web pages said pickup was on the normal day and other pages said it was delayed by a day due to the New Years Day holiday.

Konni January 11, 2019 at 10:34 AM

What about the containers that almond milk or broth come in? Can they be recycled? Thank you.

Rjagnroth January 11, 2019 at 7:11 PM

Broth? Whence cometh this broth of which ye spake?

Concord Guy January 11, 2019 at 10:47 AM

Good, simple clarification.

Onethruseven January 11, 2019 at 10:50 AM

The Winter 2018-2019 latest newsletter from them (MDRR-Concord) states they will take plactic 1,2,3,4,5 and 7. Items 3,4,5 and 7 must be clean. Tell them to make up their minds????????????

Doh January 11, 2019 at 11:12 AM

If only they were consistent. Once the trade war started we were told China was no longer accepting any plastics. So I stopped putting plastics into the bin. Then I read the same thing Mick did. They accept #1, #5 & #7 plastics. Can we get a clarification?

BTW I rinse and sometimes wipe my recyclables but washing seems ludicrous.

China refuses January 12, 2019 at 6:49 AM

Actually the trade war has nothing to do with China refusing to accept our recycling. I have been reading for months now from International news sources that China has been refusing “dirty” recycling products from all over the world.

XTJ January 12, 2019 at 9:17 AM

But just because China isn’t taking our plastics, that doesn’t necessarily mean local recyclers won’t take it. It just means that once local recyclers take it they need to send it somewhere other than China.

Doh January 18, 2019 at 9:02 AM

Their website says nothing. It only allows one to make payments. They are rebuilding it. So I called. The woman didn’t know. She said only #1 & #2. When I pointed out that conflicts with the flyer sent with my bill she pointed me to their facebook page. It also said nothing but did reference this article.

I am putting everything in except #6 because that’s what is stated on http://recyclecleanamerica.com/

Justifiable Languor January 11, 2019 at 11:16 AM

Okay. It was as I first thought. The rules changed last spring/summer.

Roz January 11, 2019 at 11:17 AM

Hummm,…I thought they took glass jars/bottles, but maybe that has changed too. I will have to give them a jiggle about some other items too. From what I gather, China recycles items to be reused and they changed the game. Also, something about if it’s not clean recycle, they won’t take it. But if someone has more info to share, please do! Like maybe a news article to link up to.
TIA

Roz January 11, 2019 at 11:45 AM

O.K.,..adding to my earlier post. Called M.D.R.R., and they said check their website for the new up date on recycles.Yes on glass. NO to plastic bags, even the garbage bags (liners) for kitchen garbage. So, shredded paper needs to go into paper bags. No dirty items, so yeah, wash glass out.
@ Konni,….no to almond milk or broth containers, plus cereal boxes now because of the wax coating. There is a list with photo, like Claycord, but a bit more info.
Good luck with the changes Folks,…I guess some will stop recycling items.

Onethruseven January 11, 2019 at 12:55 PM

Their site says to see this site.

So their own stupid new letter is not correct. I will not go out and purchase paper bags to just get rid of shredded paper, I’ll just dump it in the brown can and let them figure it out.

Roz January 11, 2019 at 1:06 PM

Thanks Onethruseven,….I forgot to mention the link on their website.

Barbosa January 11, 2019 at 11:48 AM

If I have to spend more than 3 seconds thinking about it or if I have to rinse the container clean, then it goes to landfill.

George January 11, 2019 at 12:11 PM

I rinse out all my recyclable containers at the sink so I wonder what the Sanitation District says about the extra processing they have to do?

Concordite January 11, 2019 at 12:11 PM

What?? No more wine bottles? That made up a big portion of our recyclables.

Captain Bebops January 11, 2019 at 12:44 PM

I’m sure they still take glass jars and bottles. The problem with these lists if they often forget to include other items that are acceptable so often incomplete. I had to call one time to confirm that something that should have been on the list but was acceptable.

The US recycling industry seems to have been caught short on this and probably needs to build facilities to replace what China was doing. OTOH, civilization is it’s own worst enemy.

Giddyup January 11, 2019 at 12:41 PM

They originally “sold” us on this recycling thing telling us we’d get paid for our recyclables. Never happened. Now they’re getting picky about what they’ll take. They want us to sort it and wash it for them. I’d say they defaulted on their original promise, so they really have no right to expect anything more.

Anderson January 11, 2019 at 3:03 PM

Exactly. We pay additional taxes on recyclable items as well; I consider that a prepaid recycling fee, so no way will I ever pay to recycle something, including electronics, and no way will I go out of my way to exhaustively clean anything to be recycled.

Bob January 11, 2019 at 9:55 PM

Pretty sure that’s the textbook legal definition of a scam.

Old-school guy January 11, 2019 at 1:25 PM

The recycle bin at my work reads, not to recycle newspaper (is there still a need), rather, put newspaper in the compost bin. I noticed that the word, recyclable, is printed on my weekly Safeway insert. I wish trash companies would compost.

jose January 11, 2019 at 1:43 PM

If the item has any tri-angle with a number in it, I will put in into the paper or plastic/glass/tin recycle container. For any other metal container it goes also with or without the triangle.
If they want it washed first, tell the water district to give us a discount on our bills.
There are some places now that are telling people to just throw it all in the black container as there is no more market in asia to take our glass and plastic. So it get buried.

Kirkwood January 11, 2019 at 2:19 PM

I don’t see glass of any sort in the above graphic. I know that Con. Disp. used to accept glass jars for recycling but window glass had to go in the trash.
Clear glass has been recyclable since the 50’s. A club that I belonged to back then collected used glass as a fund raiser, and sold it for cash.

Jamess January 11, 2019 at 5:26 PM

Hey Kirkwood.
Read the beginning of the article again. It states, “Clean glass is also accepted”

Double Dzzz January 11, 2019 at 2:22 PM

they make money off our recyclables and they want us to wash and waste more water we are told to conserve. next pge will have us generate electricity with in home pedal bikes. oh and by the way your water bills going up again this summer people. ha ha ha ha

ZZ January 11, 2019 at 3:18 PM

Let them wash the garbage. That’s their job and they’re making money off my garbage.

anon January 11, 2019 at 3:58 PM

What is a pastry container? When I buy donuts or pastries it’s put into a paper bag.

ChampagneKitty January 11, 2019 at 4:57 PM

To those who refuse to rinse their recyclables: Do you want to attract gnats or ants to your kitchen?

Cowellian January 11, 2019 at 6:28 PM

I dunno, I tried rinsing my newspaper and ended up with papier-mâché.

Barney R January 11, 2019 at 6:42 PM

We’ve never rinsed anything going into our kitchen trash can and have never had any critters including ants/gnats after it.
I really honestly don’t give a crap how they want their recyclables, like I said our recycle can gets everything but food stuff.
If they come to me someday and tell me they won’t take my recycle stuff I throw in that can cause it ain’t clean enough then I’ll give their recycle can back to them and throw everything in the landfill can.

My life don’t revolve around the garbage people wants and desires.

ChampagneKitty January 11, 2019 at 8:16 PM

Cowellian, you made me smile!

Cowellian January 11, 2019 at 8:48 PM

Thanks, I try.
😉

Michael January 12, 2019 at 8:52 AM

Food waste goes down garbage disposal. No I don’t rinse any thing out. When its empty it goes outside my house in the recycle bin. Washing garbage……. What a joke

Giddyup January 11, 2019 at 8:26 PM

All they really want us to recycle are crisp, new $100 bills.

Bob January 11, 2019 at 9:59 PM

If it’s recyclable, it’s going in my blue bin.

End of discussion.

Barney R January 11, 2019 at 10:36 PM

Wife and I just discussed this and agreed, from now on no more recycle can pickup for us, it’s the big landfill can and everything goes in there. No more separating or wondering what these people will take in a recycle can anymore.
Geez how simple this will be now…

WC Mom January 12, 2019 at 8:51 AM

I can’t believe how lazy some of these commenters proclaim to be. Maybe they are just trolls and I’m not getting it? It takes like two seconds to rinse out a yogurt container. Or wipe it out with your napkin before you toss it. Our recycling “trash” is right next to the normal trash in our kitchen. No effort to sort it. Your brown waste bin is free to you, and you can have multiple. Get yourself a smaller blue bin and save some money. If people think recycling is complicated (they come pick it up at your house! they give you color coded bins!), then I guess I’ve overestimated the education level in Claycord.

JESSICA January 12, 2019 at 12:00 PM

Claycord is so funny.

So many complaints by Baby Boomers and GenXers about how lazy and irresponsible Millennial and GenZers are. And yet you all can’t figure out a few if-them statements about recycling? Refuse to rinse a can?

It’s not a difficult system, and how lazy do you have to be to not just wash another container in your dishwater?

Giddyup January 13, 2019 at 10:11 AM

You don’t want my garbage? Fine! Take your ugly cans back, stop charging me for them, and I’ll take my garbage elsewhere.