Mt. Diablo Unified’s Outreach Program Working To Promote Happier Holidays For Homeless And Foster Youth

December 14, 2018 16:00 pm · 12 comments

The Mt. Diablo Unified School District’s HOPE for the Holidays campaign is working to connect sponsors with homeless children and foster youth to help grant ‘wish list’ requests.

Currently, there are over 300 students (TK-12 grade) identified as homeless within MDUSD, and over 130 foster youth.

The campaign runs from now until Dec.17.

Gift cards and tax-deductible donations are also welcome in supporting students during the upcoming holiday season.

Donors can help in the following ways:

• Make a tax-deductible donation by sending a check to “Mt. Diablo HOPE,” 2730 Salvio St., Concord, 94519
  • Make a tax-deductible donation by utilizing Venmo under “MDUSD HOPE”
  • Buy gift cards that enable parents and guardians to select their own items for their children and buy groceries. Department store and grocery store gift cards can be dropped off at the Mt. Diablo Unified School District Office, 1936 Carlotta Drive, Concord, CA, or mailed and dropped off at Mt. Diablo HOPE, 2730 Salvio St., Concord, 94519.  This is our greatest need.
  • Donate new hoodies or sweatshirts for students. Please drop off or send to:
    • Mt. Diablo Unified School District Office, 1936 Carlotta Drive, Concord
    • For online shopping, please send orders to Mt. Diablo HOPE, 2730 Salvio St., Concord

Each donation directly benefits homeless students and foster youth.

Donations of any amount are considered generous and are welcome year-round.

For additional information, please contact MDUSD’s Student Services Department and School & Community Services program at 925.682.8000 extension X3054 or email hope@mdusd.org.

Always Right December 14, 2018 at 5:59 PM

Homeless students? Makes no sense in an economy with 3% unemployment.

If a parent can’t provide housing for their kids then the kids should be living with relatives or in foster care. Parents who drag their kids into homelessness are either incompetent, selfish, or both. No excuses for this kind of child abuse.

JazzMan December 15, 2018 at 9:16 AM

Fact check please! Homeless doesn’t always mean living on the street. Often it means a family or child is living with relatives. They are STILL considered homeless. And not all foster homes are good environments.

Princes December 14, 2018 at 9:53 PM

Please don’t ask for deserts to Safeway in Clayton or lucky store in concord for an event that was for foster youth they’ll tell you no. I will never ever shop at any of this 2 company’s they careless about children from contra costa county

WC Resident December 14, 2018 at 11:44 PM

I doubt local store employees are authorized to give food away to those that show up and ask. Write up a proposal and contact corporate. I’d start with http://safewayfoundation.org/

judith December 15, 2018 at 11:35 AM

I worked for Lucky for many years. Proper way to get donations is requesting in advance from corporate. Most stores request a letter stating you are a non-profit. Stores need to account for food loss, or food donations through the proper channels. Doesn’t matter what organization, school, event you represent. It’s called good business practices.

oh, please December 15, 2018 at 1:14 PM

Not that I am the biggest fan of Safeway, but don’t disparage a business just because you try and do something the wrong way!!!

PinkRanger December 15, 2018 at 10:43 PM

All you need is a donation letter with a tax ID number. I’ve done this plenty of times for my organization. If they can’t give out the product, they usually provide a gift card of $25 for you to purchase the items you need (or at least cover some of the cost). I usually go to multiple locations to and gather what I can. Costco is a good one.

S December 15, 2018 at 9:28 AM

Appears CA has the most homeless students at more than 250,000.

and that’s only those we know about….

judith December 15, 2018 at 11:41 AM

Homeless is a varied and challenging animal. In this case, families. Housing costs are a serious challenge. Homeless families can be working, but financially cannot afford the cost of securing housing. Many factors involved with the homeless. We can’t judge all Homeless, nor can we compare their situation to the chronically homeless drug addict.

MovingOutOfCA December 15, 2018 at 2:01 PM

I have worked with the “ homeless”, 99% want to remain homeless. They are offered numerous resources, and most go denied. I had to quit, because it was so frustrating.

Of coarse there are those who truly find themselves in horrible situations, but again, many would rather wait for HUDD or section 8, even though it can take years, rather then to move to where jobs are more available, and cost of living is cheaper. CA pays out the highest welfare benefits in the nation, and again the majority want those, and don’t want to move to seek job opportunities elsewhere….. I saw this every single day. In one town I worked, they were very open about having no intention to work. Our welfare program is a mess, and provides 100,000’s of thousands of govt. jobs with pensions, so there is no real incentive to change it.

One of the biggest issues, and criminal towards our own poor people is illegal immigration, and anchor babies. I worked in one of the largest CA hospital chains, and daily 1000’s of anchor babies are born. With in two hours of a well baby delivery, we ( social services) go in and sign baby and mother ( all other kids too) up for ALL our welfare services. They are signed up for HUDD or section 8, and given priority to these units. Each city only has so many low income housing units available, and the illegals ( with anchor kids) are being given priority. This is extremely unfair to our poor American citizens.

One of my best friends mother, legally migrated here from Italy, and worked for over 30 years in our country legally. She fell on hard times because of health issues. She went to the local office to get help, especially for food stamps. While waiting, she was very aware that the majority of people in there did not speak English and had numerous kids ( all dressed in designer clothes, and the baby girls had 14k gold jewelry). When she was finally able to talk to a worker, she was DENIED! She had NOTHING, totally broke, but yet as a citizen she was denied. She dropped her face in her hands and began to cry. The worker said, “ I’m so sorry, if you were illegal and had a kid(s), you would walk out of here today with emergency aide. She had been a voting Democrat ever since becoming a US citizen. She walked out of there, and said, “ I’ll never vote for a Democrat again”. They care more about illegals than our own citizens.

There is so much fraud, abuse and waste in our system. I saw it everyday. Even when we could prove fraud, and turned in all the right documentation, nothing was ever done. I never saw one prosecution at the agency I worked at. They do not verify income. They ask for 3 bank statements, ( no verification if there are more). They ask what kind of car you drive ( value matters for eligibility) yet there is no checking on what they claim. Banks use the thumbprint system, as does the DMV., so why aren’t they cross checking information? Because they don’t want to fix this broken system.

#walkaway from the Democrats because they are not putting US citizens first. End easy access welfare, and we will see the jobs filled, and no reason to import low skilled workers from other countries, that end up on all our welfare programs.

Prices December 15, 2018 at 11:47 PM

To WC resident ? For your information I had the proper documentation and I spoke with some rude people.

Princes December 15, 2018 at 11:55 PM

For those of you who don’t know what I presented witch it was a proper documentation and plenty of time in advance and tax ID. I was told no they don’t do donations anymore. I’m gonna contact there corporate office specially Safeway in Clayton because she was rude no matter what.