Smoke In Contra Costa County Is From Fire In Butte County, Near Chico

November 8, 2018 12:22 pm · 29 comments

The Bay Area Air Quality Management District has issued an air quality advisory for today and Friday because of a large wildfire in Butte County that’s sending smoke into the region.

The advisory was issued this morning following the start of the Camp Fire, a few miles east of the City of Chico, closer to the Town of Paradise, according to the air district.

A Red Flag Warning has been issued by the National Weather Service through Friday because of high winds and low
relative humidity.

{ 29 comments… read them below or add one }

Jody Cooper November 8, 2018 at 11:40 AM

I just saw all the smoke out my office window and rushed to Claycord.com knowing it would tell me where it was coming from. I’ll be praying they put the fire out quickly and that the evacuated residents can come home safely.

Tommy November 8, 2018 at 12:31 PM

Jody – same here. Claycord.com has become my to-go when something is happening locally as proven again today. I first discovered them last year (or was it earlier this year? idk) when the guy was seen walking up the street near the Century Theater in Pleasant Hill with a scary black gun causing a full blown regional police response.

Larry November 8, 2018 at 12:50 PM

Yep Claycord is the best for local up to minute and all daily local news,East Bay Times has become a total joke good thing we have Claycord and their daily efforts keeping us informed.Thanks Claycord!

DrvrdadCA November 8, 2018 at 12:43 PM

There is a fire burning across the river in Suisun that is contributing to the ash & smoke in the air too

LL Cool J November 8, 2018 at 12:50 PM

Smoke in downtown Walnut Creek.

Ms Wobbi November 8, 2018 at 1:10 PM

We actually have ash in the air here in Colony Park! This seems much closer than Butte County.

Riley November 8, 2018 at 7:20 PM

Definitely coming from butte. Just drove from there. The smoke. Ever left.

Mrs. Brown November 8, 2018 at 1:13 PM

Oh ok I thought there was one closer. It’s raining black ash in N. Concord right now. Not as bad as last time.

THE ANIMAL November 8, 2018 at 1:22 PM

I just stepped outside and can smell the smoke. Sky is grey to……………

Barney R November 8, 2018 at 1:25 PM

It’s beautiful here at Lake Tahoe Nevada side.
I’m sure the smoke will get here but it’s no worse than all the fireplaces going in the winter time here.
Smoke don’t bother me at all I live the smell of it.

Silva November 8, 2018 at 1:36 PM

If you’ve ever been downwind of hundreds of buildings and all their contents and it can be completely different from relatively clean wood smoke. I bet it is beautiful there! Lucky you.

Dur November 8, 2018 at 4:58 PM

Somebody get Barney R a clue.

WC Resident November 8, 2018 at 1:32 PM

I saw the orange haze this morning and assumed it was a fire off in north bay area. It’s now far worse with a strong smoke smell and thick ground level smoke. Chico is 120 miles from here.

Google finds https://eldoradoweather.com/current/satellite/usfire/northerncalifornia-vis.html

What’s happening is a smoke band that was pushed to the south of Chico is now being shoved to the west and is over us. As it’s a thin band the smoke should clear up soon though it won’t be 100% clear for a while.

tired of taxes November 8, 2018 at 1:41 PM

started 200 acres as of 7am,
now burning 17,000 acres according to this:

Pat November 8, 2018 at 1:44 PM

Wtf started THIS fire? People are so careless, sometimes. Or was it PG&E again? Whomever the dumbsh*t is please tell me that he/she gets the bill!

Catlady November 8, 2018 at 1:45 PM

The smoke is awful in downtown Walnut Creek right now. It is even permeating our office. I hope everyone in the affected areas stays safe.

Teach November 8, 2018 at 1:49 PM

Can we get word from MDUSD regarding when/ if they will take action. Air quality is terrible right now, and I seem to remember school being cancelled for this reason in the past.

Baloo November 8, 2018 at 3:36 PM

My daughter came home from PHMS today and said some students had to run the mile today. Sigh.

Debbie November 8, 2018 at 1:55 PM

I’m in Walnut Creek and went to pick up lunch and came back with black ash on my face!!
Its bad here

donk November 8, 2018 at 2:09 PM

so you guys finally going to wake up and understand California is under coordinated elite arson attacks?

Astrobeej November 8, 2018 at 3:50 PM

Yeah, ’cause that’s so much easier to swallow than climate change…

Dave Yaroch November 8, 2018 at 2:14 PM

Just saw the report of 2 different fires in Solano county too. One off SR12 and the other off I-80 . Wondering if they have any impact on us too?

Dawg November 8, 2018 at 2:15 PM

I know what a camp fire is, but what is the Camp Fire and why was it started?

Mary Fouts November 8, 2018 at 2:53 PM

CA wildfires are typically named by either the dispatcher who gets the first call, or the engine/first responders that first arrives on scene. The name is based on the geographical location for the start of the blaze.

Per Sac Bee reporting, according to Cal Fire, the fire was named the “Camp Fire” because it started at Camp Creek and Pulga roads near Feather River Canyon today about 7 AM. No mention of a cause of the blaze.

The Sacramento Bee has excellent coverage, photos, and videos if interested in more information. Sounds to be an extremely dangerous fire with 30,000 people ordered to evacuate thus far.

Silva November 8, 2018 at 4:27 PM

I bet it was started by Girl Scouts.

Jason Simone November 8, 2018 at 2:15 PM

MDUSD schools should all obtain a $200 air particulate sensor so they know precise quality in their area and so parents can monitor it if their child has special health needs.

me November 8, 2018 at 6:09 PM

There was ash in the pool at Heather Farms. They eventually closed the pool due to the air quality.

MamaK November 9, 2018 at 7:30 AM

These fires are so horrible. I won’t complain about the smoke, I am just thankful my house isn’t burning down like their homes are. I can barely watch the news any more….it’s either shootings or fires. So depressing really. Feels like our whole state is burned up.

Willis November 9, 2018 at 9:03 AM

My wife is on her way back from picking up her sister, who lost everything… Her apartment, car… All in ashes. She was lucky to escape with the clothes on her back. The town is in ashes, destroyed. She found her sister at a shelter in Oroville. God bless the Navarine Church and the other businesses and folks helping with this.