Record Number Of California Voters Register For Today’s Midterm Elections

November 6, 2018 8:00 am · 29 comments

More Californians have registered to vote in today’s midterm election than in any election before, Secretary of State Alex Padilla announced this week.

Padilla said 19.6 million Californians were registered to vote as of the registration cutoff day last month.

That’s an increase of nearly 1.9 million voters compared to voter registration numbers for the 2014 gubernatorial election.

“It is nearly unprecedented for California to set a voter registration record in a midterm election,” Padilla said.

The increase means the percentage of registered voters also rose, it’s now at 78 percent of eligible citizens, the highest it’s been since 1950, according to Padilla.

He said higher voter registration likely means higher turnout at the polls – though officials won’t know for sure until ballots are cast.

“Everybody’s paying attention to politics right now, and I think we’re going to see that translate on Tuesday,” Padilla said at a joint news conference with Attorney General Xavier Becerra, held at the Department of
Justice in San Francisco.

It’s possible that if turnout is high, lines may be longer at polling places.

Becerra said his attorneys will be on hand across the state in case voters have any issues.

“If you have the right to vote, go do it with confidence, and understand there’s a team here to protect your right to vote,” Becerra said at the news conference.

While encouraging citizens to go to the polls, both Padilla and Becerra reminded voters of their rights.

If voters get to the polls late in the day, they can still vote as long as they are line before the polls close.

Voters shouldn’t be harassed at the polls and can ask for help with filling out their ballot from anyone except their employers or union officials.

If potential voters missed the voter registration deadline, they can still vote via provisional ballot. And those who need a ballot in a different language should be allowed one.

Additionally, voters can ask elections officials questions if needed and they can request a new ballot if they make a mistake.

Vote by mail ballots can be dropped off at any polling place in the state.

Becerra and Padilla also encouraged voters to report any fraudulent or suspicious activity to elections officials, though Padilla said such fraud is very rare.

“We can’t help but recognize that this is one of the most important, yet politically charged elections that we’ve seen in a long, long time,” Padilla said. “We want to be sure voters are encouraged to cast their ballots. Democracy works best when everyone participates.”

Pyrrhus November 6, 2018 at 9:06 AM

This is good, voter apathy has always been a problem. This midterm will be a referendum against or for Republican policies. Regardless of how things turn out, I am glad people are voting. I just hope we, in California, avoid the voter suppression shenanigans that are happening in states like Georgia and Arizona.

Lou November 6, 2018 at 11:40 AM

Right Pyrrhus, Just like Dem California State Attorney General Xavier Becerra and his decision to slap an intentionally deceptive title on Prop 6 – the Gas Tax Repeal Initiative. Republican Shenanigans L.O.L.

Pyrrhus November 6, 2018 at 1:37 PM

Hey, I’ll take having to do a little extra reading over the absolute corruption that the Republicans are pulling in other states. I guess you’re okay with having your voter registration purged just right before the election. Or having all the nearby polling places closed around you causing 3 hour or longer lines. Or you being unable to vote because your ID has a hyphen but the voter registration doesn’t. Or how about being unable to vote because you are Native American living on a reservation where nobody has a street address.

Yeah, I’ll take a poorly worded Prop over any of those shennanigans any day. In the words of a Dodge City Election Administrator, “LOL”.

chuckie the troll November 6, 2018 at 9:10 AM

How many dead people and illegal aliens will be voting this year? Doesn’t really matter, I suppose, since this state is slowly transitioning into…Venezuela.

Rob November 6, 2018 at 9:29 AM

LOL – talk about beating a dead horse….

You all have been claiming this stuff for a long time and you turn up very little if anything…

But please – keep digging.

Rollo November 6, 2018 at 10:50 AM

You nailed it Rob.

Every year it’s some different fear tactic or smear – and then the investigations show it was either A) untrue, or B) the accuser actually did it themselves.

Mountainside Jay November 6, 2018 at 9:27 AM

Well done voters, go Democrats, drown out the morally bankrupt, self-deluded GOP!

jtkatec November 6, 2018 at 10:01 AM

DON’T CARE WHAT POLITICAL PARTY YOU FEEL YOU BELONG TO, JUST VOTE!

Roz November 6, 2018 at 10:56 AM

Agree!,..It’s time for folks to have their say because they can.

Silva November 6, 2018 at 1:28 PM

Amen to that! And if you’re not going to participate I don’t want to hear any of your whining.🙂

Yo November 6, 2018 at 10:19 AM

VOTE REPUBLICAN. California will become another Venezuela if you dont.

Will November 6, 2018 at 10:48 AM

Many parts of the state are already there. SF-style poop maps for the entire state!

Mountainside Jay November 6, 2018 at 11:39 AM

Also might become another Norway…there’s a lot to like there!

DJ November 6, 2018 at 6:10 PM

@Mountainside Jay

I would rather CA becoming like Norway than it is Venezuela. This is what Business Insider had to say about Norway ” For seven consecutive years Norway had been ranked as the most prosperous country on earth by the Legatum Institute, but this year it loses its crown, with a highest ranking of 3rd in the governance sub-index”

Atticus Thraxx November 6, 2018 at 10:43 AM

I voted this morning and was the 78th voter at my polling place so far.
So my results:
I had to swallow a good bit of bile, but ended up voting for John Cox. When it came down to it, I just couldn’t leave it blank and the Ken doll was never an option.
Voted for Kounalakis for Lt. Gov and Padilla for Sec.
DeLeon over Feinstein, Thurmond over Tuck, Mackey over Hansen, and Judi Herman over the same old, same old council names.
No on all the Bond measures, Yes on 10 and R and No 11 & 12 and J.
I love this friggin’ democracy!

Randy November 6, 2018 at 10:43 AM

Youth,minorities and LBGT. Republicans worse nightmare.

Smee November 6, 2018 at 11:21 AM

California’s economy is doing incredibly well…hardly Venezuela. I am one that thinks its a great state, or i would move. Many feel the same, resulting in a net increase of population. This brings a higher cost of living and more people that can’t afford local housing. However you think this should be handled, it’s great citizens understand they need to vote and do thier part to shape the policies the way they feel its best. VOTE!

stukatz November 6, 2018 at 11:33 AM

red wave coming

Bad Nombre November 6, 2018 at 5:32 PM

Purple Haze, man. Purple Haze!

When the red and blue waved collide.

Jojo Potato November 6, 2018 at 11:40 AM

Remember the old days when political ads were not shown on election day? Well I do and I’d like to teturn to that tradition. Just give it s break people? Another Marshall Tuck ad (for example) is not going to change my mind!

Lari November 6, 2018 at 2:39 PM

I went to my polling place this AM, around 8:45, and it was slow. I was the 33rd voter. But who knows if folks go later or have already sent their ballots in.

WC Resident November 6, 2018 at 3:31 PM

A polling place tried to turn me away. I had a mail-in ballot and intended to drop it off in the bin that’s supposed to be at every polling location. They said that so many people had already come that the bin had overflowed. My options were to find another polling location or that I could copy my votes to a provisional ballot.

I told them I’d wait until they had a bin available. That precipitated a scramble. I saw a large overflowing cardboard box of ballot envelopes labelled “overflow ballots” being dumped into a blue bin which I suspect was one of the secure containers ballots are supposed to be stored in. That freed up a blue canvas bag with a slot on the top to be used for mail-in ballots. I and others with mail-in ballot envelopes in hand hoped for the best and dropped envelopes our wishes into the bag.

Nunya November 6, 2018 at 4:31 PM

the best part is that Democrats got three ballots each and Republicans got… wait for it…. NONE!

94517 November 6, 2018 at 6:17 PM

I did my part not to send a blank signed check to Socialist Democrats anymore.

No Excuses November 6, 2018 at 6:29 PM

Approx 1.5million more Registered Voters than there are eligible adults in California. Pray for the election of someone who will clean up the voter registration records BEFORE the next election cycle.

No Excuses November 6, 2018 at 6:50 PM

ABOVE is per Graham Ledger (of Daily Ledger) Twitter :
Illegals voting, Dead people voting, More people registered to vote than eligible adults.
1.5 million fraudulent voter registrations, No voter ID–Walk into any polling place and cast a ballot, even if you’re NO on the voter roll.
California Nightmare #vote.

WC Resident November 6, 2018 at 7:48 PM

That’s fake news unless you back it up with hard data.

Eshaan Chandi November 6, 2018 at 9:38 PM

I hope we all voted NO on Prop 10!

Anon November 6, 2018 at 10:43 PM

That Prop 11 was funded by the Companies who want an Exemption from State labor laws.
So Ambulance / EMT need to respond while on a break, does this mean they get to resume their break once they are finished with the call?

My Company has decided to label us as “first responders” and we’re required to answer our phones during a break, we are able to resume our break after responding to the usual bogus call. However, some days it is so busy that the end of your shift arrives and you took NO BREAK or LUNCH. Total BS!!!