Source: Taco Bell, Evie’s Hamburgers Told To Leave Encina Grande Shopping Center Due To Restrictions With Whole Foods Lease

October 11, 2018 16:51 pm · 74 comments

Taco Bell and Evie’s Hamburgers have both been told their leases will not be renewed next year, and they must vacate the Encina Grande shopping center on Ygnacio Valley Rd. at Oak Grove in Walnut Creek due to the property manager’s lease agreement with Whole Foods, according to a source close to the shopping center.

This news comes just one day after we first reported that Jade Garden, a Chinese restaurant that’s been in the center since 1989, was told to leave by February of 2019 due to a restriction in the lease with the Amazon-owned supermarket chain that limits the square-footage of restaurants in the center, according to the property manager, Recency Centers.

The UPS store, which is located next to Jade Garden, has also been told to leave. Regency Centers plans to combine the two units in order to make room for their future tenant, AAA.

Sources tell Claycord.com that Evie’s Hamburgers has been told they need to leave by June of 2019, and Taco Bell must vacate by December of 2019.

It’s currently unknown if other restaurants, such as Rocco’s, Applebee’s, Toyo Sushi or Bagel Street Cafe will be affected by Regency Centers’ agreement with Whole Foods.

RELATED STORIES:

image: courtesy of LoopNet.com

Bella October 11, 2018 at 4:57 PM

Looks more like to me that Regency should be looking for a way to break their agreement with Whole Foods. Ever hear of David of Goliath?

Fred October 11, 2018 at 5:01 PM

I’m guessing Whole Foods must pay a lot in rent to demand these sort of concessions.

Wage Slave October 11, 2018 at 6:50 PM

At this point the property management company is the bad guy. Did they not think to ever run any of this past their other tenants when they negotiated the WF lease? Is WF really paying so much rent they can demand all these other tenants leave?

Pyrrhus October 12, 2018 at 8:24 AM

The answer is yes. Why would the property management company agree to the lease if they were going to lose money by losing other tenants? Losing AAA is going to hurt the company a bit, but in a year or two when this has all blown over I wouldn’t be surprised to see AAA ultimately move in.

WC Res October 11, 2018 at 5:02 PM

Keep Taco Bell, get rid of Applebees.

MoJo October 11, 2018 at 5:03 PM

How about Whole Foods leaves the center? Better yet, leave the Country.

Cynical Scot October 11, 2018 at 5:03 PM

Welp… At least you’ll have another Whole P̶a̶y̶c̶h̶e̶c̶k̶ Foods in Walnut Creek… Buuuut whatever. I don’t live in WC. Im a little miffed about Jade Garden though, Being there so long and gold to go, that’s a little much.

Bella October 11, 2018 at 5:05 PM

King Saul thought Goliath was too big to fight–David thought he was too big to miss.

Jkwellin October 11, 2018 at 5:19 PM

it sucks that WHOLE CHECK is literally kicking out the only places in that shopping center that bring in pretty good stream on HS students. I remember going to Evie’s almost every week after school. sad to see them go but thats gentrification for u :/

Sign from Above October 12, 2018 at 7:44 AM

Use to go into Evie’s all the time when I lived around the corner and loved it! My wife and I went in the other night at dinner time and the place was empty. We both had dinner and it was bland to say the least. It doesn’t even have the same feel to it that it use to have. It must have changed hands since I was there last. I personally won’t be back. That being said, I’m against ANY tenant being pushed out because of the WF contract. Never thought WF was a good fit there anyway.

CMro October 12, 2018 at 1:27 PM

Gentrification? This is just a case of corporate America choking out small buisness. Encina Shopping center is already gentrified. The whole damn city is gentrified. Sad to see small family buisnesses go out because the yuppies wont protect diversity and local market. Walnut Creek should stand up to corporations like this to keep itself unique.

kasia2001 October 11, 2018 at 5:27 PM

Replace Whole Food with Sprouts

LINDY B October 11, 2018 at 5:28 PM

This was sad news! Used to live around corner off Oak Grove, and worked at Shadelands – probably came to Jade Garden once a week with kids. We loved it. (And they loved watching the fish.) Even after I moved to Danville I’d stop by occasionally for Wor Won Ton Soup. KPIX said there are protests in front of Whole Foods planned. I’ll check back here on Claycord and hope someone posts dates/times. I’ll join you! This is just SO wrong!

Sign from Above October 12, 2018 at 7:45 AM

I’m in. Please post was scheduled!

Scooter October 11, 2018 at 5:31 PM

Seriously?? As if someone who would eat at Taco Bell will somehow say “Hey, there’s no Taco Bell, so I guess i’ll Go to Whole Foods”? What exactly is the conflict/competition?? Parking? Geesh

KenInConcord October 11, 2018 at 5:33 PM

THERE ARE SO MANY CHOICES!!! Whole Foods/Regency. Its very easy for me to make a left turn instead of a right!!!

I won’t do business in a center that treats members of our community this way!

EVIES, JADE GARDEN, that TACO BELL, ARE PART OF OUR COMMUNITY. your brand new mega corporate store isn’t yet. Check back in 20 years and we’ll see how we feel then!!

Town October 11, 2018 at 5:34 PM

You folks need to ask yourself who paid to have this center re-vamped a few years ago.

John Smith October 11, 2018 at 6:56 PM

Each business “had to pay” for their own storefronts to be upgraded to fit in with all the other businesses. Kind of an extortion, (if you don’t pay and upgrade, you leave).

Sign from Above October 12, 2018 at 7:47 AM

Yeah! They paid for their storefront and now they’re being kicked to the curb!

NoMoreFreeRide October 11, 2018 at 5:35 PM

There’s going to be a lot of pissed off teenagers when Taco Bell closes.

Kentucky Derby October 11, 2018 at 5:36 PM

With a little help from google:

“Reducing restaurant square footage was a Regency decision to provide a better experience overall at the center by helping to reduce congestion.”

I would think if the other restaurants exceed the square footage, they would be affected too.

Nunya October 11, 2018 at 5:40 PM

forget whole foods, dump amazon!!!

ConCabCathy October 11, 2018 at 5:41 PM

Ridiculous!!! That has been my go to shopping center for years. I could get everything done before grocery shopping at Safeway. I will travel to Bancroft from now on. Pfft Whole Foods!

RealTalk October 11, 2018 at 7:40 PM

There’s a Safeway right across the street on the other side of Ygnacio

Original G October 11, 2018 at 5:47 PM

Is Whole Foods nothing but a bully ? ? ?
Too bad they FEAR competition.

Based solely on their behaviour at this shopping center and how they treat the little guys will never again set foot in one of their stores.
You might want to consider doing the same.

oldman October 11, 2018 at 5:49 PM

This is war. If they throw out Evie’s, we stop all shopping at that center.

paranoid pablito October 11, 2018 at 5:53 PM

That settles it: I’m going to keep the number of times I’ve visited Whole Foods to zero.

S October 11, 2018 at 6:04 PM

What’s next Rocco’s?

Steve O'Brien October 11, 2018 at 6:06 PM

Whole foods is evil and they hate competition. Sounds like they are strong arming Regency. These businesses were there first. This is BS.

Mom of 5 October 11, 2018 at 6:14 PM

These eateries are where many of the young middle and high school students go after school to grab a bite. I’ve never seen them wreck anything and feel like having the options that they can afford is better than having one over priced food market. I went in once and left. Whole foods is a waste of money and they could put something better in that spot is kicking everyone else out!

The Fearless Spectator October 11, 2018 at 6:34 PM

I don’t care who paid for the renovations and those dangerous little drainage ditches in the parking lot. Poor decisions result in poor business patronage.

Throwing Evie’s Hamburgers out is like kicking a puppy.

Look at the backlash this has created! Encina Grande is about to lose the Grande.

Cat lover October 11, 2018 at 6:35 PM

This is so wrong in so many ways. I would love to see the community come together and stand up for these places lossing their lease. Would love to see Wholes Foods lose this one. I don’t see how anyone can afford to shop at that store. Why ruin a good thing with Jade Garden, Evie’s and Taco Bell.

Jan Manns October 11, 2018 at 6:36 PM

Come on folks. Let’s pursue a compromise. I bet there is a chance Whole Foods will back off from the letter of the contract. My opinion: every business in the shopping center that wants to stay should stay. Let’s make that happen.

Smith October 11, 2018 at 6:39 PM

Looks like the ever advancing high-end snobbery of Walnut Creek has reached the Oak Grove and Ygnacio Valley intersection. I guess you could call it viral. Started with the Bedfords rennovating the old walnut depot into a cultural center, attained a new level when they kicked McDonald’s out of town, and appears to be approaching ne plus ultra with the addition of this second Whole Paycheck.in town.

Resident October 11, 2018 at 6:40 PM

And Rocco’s? The flies and roaches get to stay, I am surprised Rocco’s is still in business. It’s so dirty.

Terri October 11, 2018 at 6:47 PM

Love Jade Garden!!! I hope they can secure another spot somewhere else. Hey they should try Nob Hill shopping center.

Pony October 11, 2018 at 7:03 PM

This is a standard lease with Whore Foods. They want no competition within their location. I would say we picket them but liberal won’t picket them and the Illegals won’t march in place of the Republicans

keath woods October 11, 2018 at 7:08 PM

This is getting WAY THE HELL OUT OF LINE

Vandy Posh October 11, 2018 at 7:30 PM

I’ve never eaten at Jade Garden, Evie’s Hamburgers and the Taco Bell at Encina Grande. And guess what I won’t shop at Whole Foods. Bad business decisions by Regency property management.

...---... October 11, 2018 at 7:36 PM

One word ,Conspiracy.

...---... October 11, 2018 at 7:42 PM

One word , Conspiracy.

ZZ October 11, 2018 at 7:59 PM

If Rocco’s and Applebee’s were told to leave too, this would make sense. Whole Foods is all about clean, organic food and they don’t want those disgusting, unhealthy restaurants near their store. Maybe they will be told to leave also, along with Walgreens. I mean Walgreens carries that bad, bad candy and soda.

Sick of it October 11, 2018 at 8:54 PM

Have you ever seen how much water Whole Foods dumps in the rear driveway behind the store. Huge waste of water and a health issue to.

Citizen October 11, 2018 at 8:18 PM

Whole Foods sucks! I am boycotting that bully business. I am outraged and very disappointed by the latest news. I hope there will be litigation against Whole Foods. Just tragic.

Deb October 11, 2018 at 8:54 PM

I’m boycotting Whole Foods. I feel Toyo and Rocco’s are next. Love both those places. So angry at Regency, Amazon, and Whole Foods.

Me October 11, 2018 at 9:07 PM

Amazon didn’t own Whole Foods when this lease was negotiated. It was Regency and Texas-based Whole Foods. Regency seems to bear much of the responsibility. They not only manage this shopping plaza. They manage Clayton Valley Shopping Center, Willows Shopping Center, Ygnacio Plaza, Plaza Escuela and Pleasant Hill Shopping Center in the area.

Frank Faragasso October 11, 2018 at 9:44 PM

This is not a Whole Foods issue this is a property management issue. If the shopping center didn’t like it they wouldn’t have put it in the contract. It’s odd, I have been to Whole Foods three times and it has never been very busy. It’s the other businesses that draw the crowds.

Dr. Jellyfinger October 11, 2018 at 9:48 PM

I love Evie’s…. if they get booted out I won’t be patronizing Hole Foods at all.

Amy October 11, 2018 at 11:33 PM

I like Evies burgers and fries.

Mc October 11, 2018 at 9:52 PM

The center will be empty and there will not be a parking issue. what type of business would rent space in the center once they remove all the restaurants? We know that the center is adding AAA because they have other centers that they own have AAA. So sad because it was all these small businesses that kept the center going for all these years. Can’t really see what other types of businesses will be able to make a living in the center that would be local owned. We have had many in the past card shop, bike store hair places, shoe store.

Pan October 11, 2018 at 10:25 PM

None of this makes any sense. Who even uses a AAA storefront; is it 1989? Not to mention the fact that Whole Foods food is disgusting. Their salad bar is basic AF, their proteins are offensively overcooked, nearly everything they make is filled with msg, yeast extract, or starches, their ordering screens have been broken since week 2, and their made to order service takes longer than a lunch hour. I never thought I would be glad that the Orchards was built but at least now I can avoid the entire Encina Grande development entirely.

Peppermint Patty October 11, 2018 at 10:32 PM

I’m so bummed that Evie’s is being kicked out. The owners are so wonderful. I enjoy having breakfast there. Such a disappointment. I have never, and will never set foot in Whole Foods. What can we do to change this, if anything?

Sara October 11, 2018 at 10:33 PM

Hoping that something can be done to keep Evie’s.

whatever October 11, 2018 at 11:49 PM

AAA is handy to have around if you’re a member, it’s like paying to go to the front of the line at the DMV. People with some extra money can pay to not have to wait for a few months at the socialized DMV with the unwashed masses to handle a basic DMV transaction.

As for Rocco’s, I don’t think Rocco will go down without a fight. He’s no shrinking violet, he knows people.

The Dude is still abiding... October 12, 2018 at 12:02 AM

Hwrr is what is happening, greed, Regency believes that since W”T”F is now there, other businesses will pay more rent per sqft. So they get the older businesses out that have had it pretty good with long leases and great rents…..

Jeff October 12, 2018 at 1:46 AM

Whole Foods has also requested that all residents in a one mile circle of the store must become Amazon Prime Members, or they too must vacate their homes and move to Antioch.

sand_girl October 12, 2018 at 6:32 AM

This is so sad. Will anyone on Walnut Creek willing to help relocate these businesses. Regnacy Centers and Whole “Greed” Foods need to be boycotted. As a community we need to come together and make this more public. Didn’t anyone notice the other Whole Foods in Walnut Creek has no restaurants in there shopping center? I ask people not to shop there! SAFEWAY!!!!!

Tracy B October 12, 2018 at 7:28 AM

Not a big fan of Whole Foods. They are even more over priced then their competitors Trader Joes and Sprouts. I dont really shop at any of the 3. I like the current options at this shopping center. Parking is NOT great and the additional of AAA will make that even worse during their business hours because of the LONG wait times.

Spruce Tree October 12, 2018 at 7:36 AM

Okay, so I work in this shopping center (thankfully, not at one of the places that needs to vacate). I love Whole Foods- mostly the employees that I know from there. But to be honest, Whole Foods has really screwed over this shopping center. I just don’t understand why they would have allowed Whole Foods into Encina if it was going to result in this (yeah the landlord wants the $$$$. But…. Really? Come on) Hear me out: I don’t really care about Taco Bell (sorry, it needed to be said), but attacking small businesses like Evie’s and Jade Garden is just really disappointing. Well, I guess this is reality… and it sucks.

Neighbor October 12, 2018 at 10:09 AM

I don’t go to taco bell either, but it’s a great place for the teens to hang out and I’m guessing it’s a franchise most likely owned by a local family as well. Just a guess…but I’d be curious to know if that’s the case. If it is we may be more likely to fight for them as well.

Sign from Above October 12, 2018 at 7:53 AM

Replace Whole Foods with an Olive Garden!

Sorry! Someone had to say it!

B October 12, 2018 at 8:16 AM

I can’t see how Bagel Street Cafe will avoid being kicked out if the rest are and I would miss that for sure. Many choices of restaurants brings in business, it doesn’t take it away. If they kick long standing restaurants out, there won’t be anyone visiting this shopping center at all.

Mick October 12, 2018 at 8:19 AM

If this is a common practice by huge corps. perhaps Safeway should demand to close all the eateries across the street, at the new shopping plaza… so should NobHill on the other side of the street. Who cares about small businesses, long live corp. dicta. Congratulations to Regency for bending over before those.

Roseanna October 12, 2018 at 9:24 AM

That is a horrible thing to do to established businesses. Most of them have been there for over 10 years. WF is pushing out the little guy, sounds like Walmart.

Frank Barker October 12, 2018 at 10:17 AM

Thats Really Rude of Whole Foods just thinking about themselves and a slap in the face to customers who eat at those Restraunts.

Kirkwood October 12, 2018 at 10:57 AM

Like it or not, rude is the American way. Just ask people in Europe or Asia.

Rod October 12, 2018 at 11:16 AM

Wow. I remember when that grocery store was a Lucky’s, Evie’s was a Nation’s and that Chinese restaurant…was there. Too bad gentrification has hit YV. A Taco Bell would have been nice back then. There was a Baskin Robbins but that’s not the same.

Julie October 12, 2018 at 11:27 AM

In 48 yrs I’ve seen a lot of changes at Encina, some good, some not so good. I dearly miss my little Safeway & several of the stores that have long gone. I agree that Whole Foods was a, to quote Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman, “A Big Mistake! Huge!!” But more than likely it’s here to stay. It’s such a shame to see these businesses being bullied out of their lively hoods. I know that UPS plans to go to the Orchard Shopping Center, with a new owner, I hope the others will have that option as well. I see at the bottom of this that there is an update showing that AAA backed out of their plan to move to Encina! Really Regency? AAA? That’s as bad as putting in a Whole Foods!!!

ME October 12, 2018 at 11:30 AM

I tried twice to shop at Whole Foods and didn’t really feel the need to get anything there. I’ll never shop there. I do use that shopping center a lot though. Admittedly I don’t frequent the restaurants there but I will now before they close just to support them.

Rocco Biale October 12, 2018 at 12:29 PM

Looks like Jade Garden just signed a new lease with Regency, earlier today

Cowellian October 12, 2018 at 12:42 PM

If true, that is very good news. I am constantly amazed at what the Claycord community can accomplish.

ClaytonBabs October 12, 2018 at 7:13 PM

^*^^ Rocco to the rescue 😉

Michael pruitt October 12, 2018 at 8:25 PM

After reading ALL the comments about this story, I can not believe that not one person brought up the fact that there will be a lot of people out of work. Many of them have families they are trying to support. But I guess its more important that a place you “used” to go to is closing.

Igetminefromtheman October 15, 2018 at 5:47 PM

Apparently whole foods pays enough rent to cover the entire shopping centers rent. Probably not. That makes sense since all the veranda businesses seem to be owned by a company rather than a local small business. Hard to believe any of those business’s hurt whole paycheck other than reducing the amount available to purchase the same food at food max labelled organic and sprayed with 128 pesticides.