200K 16 And 17-Year-Olds Have Pre-Registered To Vote In California

October 5, 2018 16:00 pm · 60 comments

As part of National Voter Registration Day, California Secretary of State Alex Padilla announced that 209,577 16- and 17-year-olds have pre-registered to vote.

In 2014, Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill that allowed voter pre-registration beginning at age 16 through VoteCal, California’s statewide voter registration database.

VoteCal was certified in September 2016 and since then more than 104,000 of the 16- and 17-year olds that pre-registered have turned 18. They are eligible to vote in the upcoming November election.

“These young people represent the next generation of active, informed and engaged voters,” Padilla said in a statement.

Of those who pre-registered since September 2016, 47.46 percent registered with No Party Preference, 34.44 percent registered as Democratic, and 9.59 percent registered as Republican.

In April 2017, Sec. Padilla launched online pre-registration through the state’s voter registration portal at RegisterToVote.ca.gov.

He also started an online high school portal to connect California youth with civic engagement opportunities like pre-registration, organizing student mock elections and student poll worker information. That portal is at HighSchool.sos.ca.gov.

Kirkwood October 5, 2018 at 4:23 PM

Eighteen year old’s are still children, now even more than 30 years ago. They should not be deciding how this country should be run any more than running General Motors.

Monica Magee October 5, 2018 at 4:25 PM

Excellent. Good job.

MadMom October 5, 2018 at 4:28 PM

The youth are who’s going to get us out of the old guard. The times they are a changing.

Max October 5, 2018 at 9:36 PM

It doesn’t look good for Ca. Liberal poli
cies are destroying our Golden State

Tsa October 6, 2018 at 11:11 AM

California is already a lost cause and only getting worse by the second…

Susan I. October 5, 2018 at 4:36 PM

That is EXCELLENT!!! It means that the youth of today are engaging in the real world. I don’t care what party they support or policies they weigh in on. They are old enough to fight for our country at 18, they should have a say. WAY TO GO!!!

jon s October 6, 2018 at 12:49 PM

16 and 17 is not old enough to vote,they are all followers and do what everyone elses tells them to do,other 17 year olds that is.This is just another democrat attempt to cheat the system,but only 200k registered and there is millions of teens,so yes,sounds like teens alright

Susan I. October 7, 2018 at 8:17 AM

Jon there are plenty of educators out there that are teaching critical thinking skills. And students today live in a very different world. There are students I have met from all across the spectrum. Children and young adults learn their politics from home and not from an alleged left wing conspiracy.

RANDOM TASK October 5, 2018 at 4:40 PM

yeah wonder what credit they got or incentive to do so …I have never met any child who will do something that is not related to their phone and or they don’t understand

but yeah let them vote now they have already been indoctrinated by their history and business and economics teachers per dem school agendas

history will not be kind to how dems of the Pelosi Feinstein Clinton era have degraded society to grime and corruption of young minds

Anonymous October 6, 2018 at 12:57 AM

I believe they are allowed to register or pre-register at the DMV when they file for their driver’s license. So there’s no incentive, it’s just very easy to register these days. It’s practically as simple as checking a box on the form.

Doh October 5, 2018 at 4:48 PM

18 year olds can go to adult jail and they know it. 16 year olds have been shot in schools. they have a vested interest in the laws that affect them.

donk October 5, 2018 at 4:48 PM

informed? you call them informed? sorry but your biased media is only informing them about what you what them informed about.

Silva October 5, 2018 at 4:56 PM

If we can send them into battle, we can trust them to vote. At least as much as ourselves.

Silva October 5, 2018 at 6:51 PM

I had friends who shipped out to Vietnam and came home dead before they were old enough to vote. I’ve never thrown away a vote since I was old enough to exercise the right, and have never regretted any choice I made, considering the options. They’re woke enough. If they aren’t they just don’t bother.

HappyPappy October 6, 2018 at 1:18 PM

We don’t force anyone into battle, the military is all volunteer. You must be remembering the Draft. Try to keep up.
What have you done to serve your country.

Silva October 6, 2018 at 2:02 PM

I’m not at liberty to say Pappy, sorry. I bet you’d get a reall kick out of it, though, living vicariously following me around on a blog asking silly questions and all.

Susan I. October 7, 2018 at 8:13 AM

HP, if a male student wants to take out student loans or federal grants they need to register with the Selective Service. From their website:

“The following information has been extracted from the Department of Education’s Student Financial Aid Handbook, Volume 1, Chapter 5. Students, parents, and financial aid officers, colleges and universities registrars may find the information helpful in determining a man’s requirements for financial aid in connection to the applicant’s Selective Service registration.
Any male required to register with Selective Service at any time must have done so to receive federal student aid.

Age and registration

The student can be registered with Se­lective Service as early as 30 days before his 18th birthday. If the student is too young, Selective Service will hold the registration until the student is within 30 days of his 18th birthday. Students 26 and older can’t be registered.” The following information has been extracted from the Department of Education’s Student Financial Aid Handbook, Volume 1, Chapter 5. Students, parents, and financial aid officers, colleges and universities registrars may find the information helpful in determining a man’s requirements for financial aid in connection to the applicant’s Selective Service registration.”

Age and registration

Draft Board October 7, 2018 at 9:35 AM

So what?
There is no draft in the United States.
The United States military is a 100% volunteer force.

Silva October 7, 2018 at 12:30 PM

Susan I., thank you for your well informed post.

HappyPappy October 7, 2018 at 12:32 PM

Awww shucks…..thanks Silva but I’m already lucky. Sure do appreciate your kind words though.

RunnerDope October 5, 2018 at 4:57 PM

>> They should not be deciding how this country should be run …

Better them than a bunch of old farts with one foot in the grave.
They have more at stake.

Smith October 7, 2018 at 6:54 AM

Show some respect for your elders, ingrate, they fought in wars to protect your right to be who you are.

RunnerDope October 7, 2018 at 12:02 PM

Sorry, but not many of my elders are still around.

Susan I. October 5, 2018 at 5:27 PM

RT… here’s your answer quoted from the above linked website:

“Extra credit or any other incentive must not be offered to students in exchange for them registering to vote or voting in an election.
Ensure students understand that the opportunity to register to vote is optional and may be completed at another time, including by visiting the Secretary of State’s mobile-friendly online voter registration tool at https://registertovote.ca.gov/”

I know you may say so otherwise, but I was happy to see that listed on their front page. It also informs students about residency & citizenship status. I can’t wait to delve deeper and find out more about this program.

HappyPappy October 7, 2018 at 9:34 AM

Susan – I believe you misunderstood the language because nothing in your comment prevents credit from being given to students who register to vote.

Susan I. October 7, 2018 at 9:48 PM

HP…. possible that you are the one in need of critical thinking skills? Incentives would include grades. I’d also like to know, since we vote by secret ballot, how would an educator grade that assignment? This is about PRE-REGISTRATION.. not voting, please see the first sentence of the quoted section regarding incentives.
Thank you.

HappyPappy October 7, 2018 at 11:02 PM

Really Susan? Have you been drinking? The discussion is about students receiving credit for registering to vote, not the act of voting.

Susan I. October 7, 2018 at 11:31 PM

HP… It’s not about registration it is a pre-registration program for students that are 16-17… put down your pipe. My post quoted the actual website regarding both the pre registration & the act of voting.& the prohibition of offering incentives (grades, extra credit, etc) for participation in either activity. The state’s words, not mine.

Oops I forgot you operate in the evidence-free zone.

Concordpearl October 5, 2018 at 5:32 PM

Lol a lot of salty old people here worried that the youth is trying to protect their future..they have never voted before and look where we are now.. their access to information is great and it’s not like older demographics don’t believe “fake news”..

Original G October 5, 2018 at 5:34 PM

“Well isn’t that, Special ! ! ! ”

An how will democrats motivate their newest low information voters into bothering to vote? Vote by smart phone like WV ?

ZZ October 5, 2018 at 6:05 PM

When the high schoolers we’re in a frenzy, protesting guns a few months back, the DEMOCRATS sent people out to the schools and set up a table to get them to pre register as DEMOCRATS. This is about liberals pushing their agenda.

KAD October 5, 2018 at 6:11 PM

I think this is great.

Atticus Thraxx October 5, 2018 at 7:31 PM

Ditto. I can think of more reasons to let them, than prevent them.

Rollo Tomasi October 5, 2018 at 6:52 PM

The fact that they need an incentive to register speaks volumes. When and where I grew up it was considered a civic duty.

Steven Powers October 6, 2018 at 7:55 AM

Well said , I Wonder if they feel that

Larry October 5, 2018 at 6:55 PM

More brain washed votes exactly what Dems want Duh.

Bad Nombre October 5, 2018 at 7:39 PM

We have failed to educate them to be responsible enough to keep and bear arms before age 21, but we trust them with the vote?!

Not me.

Mika October 5, 2018 at 7:56 PM

Don’t get too excited. Most of these kids signed up while in a high school class and probably forgot all about it.

ConcordRez October 5, 2018 at 9:07 PM

I work as a substitute teacher and write that website under my name on the board. I am heartened when kids sign on to it right away, asking me good questions. To the person who said that they’ll forget they pre-registered–they’ll get the booklets in the mail when they are eligible to vote, just as the rest of us.

jon s October 5, 2018 at 11:23 PM

Democrats are almost always children

Smith October 7, 2018 at 6:57 AM

You are so right. It’s before the reality of who is paying for things sets it.

jon s October 5, 2018 at 11:26 PM

Hilter also rallied the gullible youth around him

Susan I. October 7, 2018 at 9:51 PM

And held rallies along with controlling propaganda that refuted evidence based journalism.

Citizen October 6, 2018 at 3:21 AM

This is wonderful news. Our hope. Young folks: please vote in all elections after you educate yourselves about the candidates and the propositions. We live in scary times with this current administration.

jon s October 6, 2018 at 12:51 PM

if you think its scary now,you will be scared the rest of your life cause the democrats have ruined any chance of them every being significant in any way again except for being extremely annoying and self defeating.

Justifiable anger October 6, 2018 at 9:49 AM

Children are quite gullible. Even though I wouldn’t want to deprive them of their power stage, I hold their teachers suspect.

There is a vast difference between Civics and Political Science. I bet some of our dear readers still confuse the two.

Bill Cutting October 6, 2018 at 10:53 AM

Well there you go folks they blatantly tell you that they indoctrinate your children to vote left plain as day! They literally push leftist ideology on your children and look at the people saying this is a great idea most likely Democrats. How Wonderful to use soft power and think it’s so great that little kids are pretty much pushed into voting for a party they know nothing about CA schools are what ranked last or 2nd to last in the whole country?

The Fearless Spectator October 6, 2018 at 12:11 PM

In theory this is a good idea. Hopefully education and common sense prevail, and young people take this seriously.

I take it they will use an app to register?

Will the extra credit be in the form of Minecraft coins?

jon s October 6, 2018 at 1:01 PM

They will offer the teens vouchers for free cigarettes

Smith October 7, 2018 at 7:03 AM

In theory. When I was that age, if we didn’t like the candidates we wrote in Mickey Mouse, or Elvis. I can’t imagine anything has reslly changed much.

Smith October 7, 2018 at 7:05 AM

Juuls.

ConcordMike October 6, 2018 at 2:11 PM

Eighteen year olds are mostly followers. Easily influenced, notvthat there aren’t a lot of older folks the same.

Itsme October 6, 2018 at 8:54 PM

jon s…….16 and 17 year olds CANNOT VOTE!

long time resident October 6, 2018 at 8:57 PM

The same people that insist the teenage brain isn’t fully developed are the ones encouraging them to vote. If their brains aren’t fully developed why do we want them voting?

FBR October 7, 2018 at 4:41 AM

Fine, but I say Military, Law Enforcement, Firefighters votes count for two each since they put their lives on the line every day.

Smith October 7, 2018 at 6:49 AM

That’s nice. They should not, however, be allowed to vote on anything that will end up raising Property Taxes. At that age, all those measures on the ballot sounded like good ideas to me. I didn’t know who’d be paying for them, but I voted “Yes” on all of them.

In fact, noone but property owners should be allowed to vote on things that end up on their Property Taxes. Anything else is taxation without (fair) representation. Property owners are basically outnumbered. People who aren’t property owners never get the bill on all these Bond Measures they gleefully pass with a”Yes” vote. The enormity of the consequences are evident when you consider that the elderly are most likely to be the ones negatively effected by this system during those years when they are least likely to be able to afford it.

Susan I. October 7, 2018 at 8:23 AM

Nice try but democracy doesn’t work that way.

The Fearless Spectator October 7, 2018 at 8:45 AM

I remember my Grandfather making this same point; and he died in 1977!

Smith October 7, 2018 at 12:06 PM

Fortunately, the aged are still represented by huge numbers of Baby Boomers, the largest generation to date, who will continue to control things for the foreseeable future. Liberals … cry your eyes out. Those with a grasp on reality know we’re a Republic, not a Democracy.

WC Resident October 7, 2018 at 10:22 AM

@Smith – We used to have the system you propose. Only white male landowners could vote. There are two Wikipedia articles that document the change from what we had in 1789 up to today’s system and for the most part, explain why the changes were made to give more classes or groups people the right to vote. At present, the two main classes of U.S. citizens that can’t vote are people under age 18 and those convicted of a felony.
* Timeline of voting rights in the United States
* Voting rights in the United States
I recommend reviewing both of those thoroughly before proposing restrictions on the right to vote.

16 and 17 year olds understand cause and affect. They are more impulsive and may over-focus on an immediate goal. The parents role is to slow things down and then they can see the larger picture. They can understand that if they voted “yes” to every property tax increase that their parents, and ultimately, themselves will be paying for those measures, even if they are renting.