The Water Cooler – Who Is The Most Famous Person You’ve Ever Met?

September 14, 2018 12:00 pm · 78 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday in the noon hour.

QUESTION: Who is the most famous person you’ve ever met?

Talk about it….

Lo September 14, 2018 at 12:16 PM

Depends on your age.

Sonny Bono or Prince

But those are the two “most famous” in my book. Lots of other recognizable folks, but Prince tops it for me in my opinion.

TraumaRx September 14, 2018 at 12:18 PM

Donald Trump the greatest President to ever hold office.

Eshaan Chandi September 14, 2018 at 2:57 PM

I can understand that he is our President and he is famous, but a great President….you must be crazy!

D Moore September 14, 2018 at 5:28 PM

Yeah, you must be crazy. Greatest president to ever hold office is an understatement. Except for Reagan.

Patty O'Day September 14, 2018 at 10:39 PM

Jealous

The Professor September 14, 2018 at 12:27 PM

I met Bill Gates at a P.R. party for Microsoft in Portland around 30 years ago. The had a replica soda jerk station. I was ordering a vanilla shake with Frangelico and he wanted to know how it tasted.

I also used to play racquetball with General Schwartzkopf and General Lewis (numbers 1 and 2 in command for Desert Storm) while stationed at Ft. Lewis. General Lewis was an exceptional player.

Got to interview Melvin Belli for public access tv in 1976. He was a total dick to us 6th graders.

Lo September 14, 2018 at 12:33 PM

How WAS the vanilla shake with Frangellico? That sounds potentially tasty!!!

The Professor September 14, 2018 at 1:32 PM

The shake was delish! It was the first time I’d had Frangelico and I became an instant fan.

The Mamba September 14, 2018 at 12:39 PM

Me

JustMe September 14, 2018 at 12:48 PM

I’ve met…

Britney Spears
Sammy Hagar
Sting
Neal Schon
Whoopi Goldberg
Sean Penn
Robin Wright
Thomas Ian Nicholas (from American Pie)
Jack Wagner (from Melrose Place)
Penn and Teller
Pete Rose
Steve Young
Neil Degrasse Tyson
Geoff Edwards (game show host)

ACB128 September 14, 2018 at 1:29 PM

That is awesome you got to meet Britney! I would .love that. I loved her music as a teen (heck even 33 year old my still likes it).

The Professor September 14, 2018 at 1:55 PM

You post jarred some memories.

I was a security guard at the Concord Pavillion for a year back in 1986 and met a bunch of the acts. John Denver was a true gentleman, Wynona Judd was really full of herself (and let her dog pee all over the lawn section). INXS did lines of coke out in the open. I was Whoopi’s private bodyguard for a Robert Palmer show and had to shoo people away from her all night long.

anon September 14, 2018 at 12:53 PM

spiderman on hollywood blvd.

mohairs September 14, 2018 at 1:02 PM

Elizabeth Taylor
Frank Sinatra
Dean Martin
Roy Rodgers
Yule Brenner

Selkie September 15, 2018 at 9:42 AM

I haven’t met anyone famous but my mom also met Yule Brenner, she has a picture of her with him.

Bancroft mom September 14, 2018 at 1:14 PM

Huey Lewis! Was thrilled was in the 80’s

Dorothy September 14, 2018 at 1:17 PM

Went to Disneyland years ago and Minnie, Micky, & Goofy were walking around. I guess that’s all folks. (Oops, wrong cartoon critter…)

ACB128 September 14, 2018 at 1:30 PM

I shared this on another similar post but I had the chance to meet Mark Ruffalo in college at journalism conference. I didn’t know who he was at the time and couldn’t figure out why the girls were so excited. Oops. I went and just hung out in my hotel room.

Simonpure September 14, 2018 at 1:35 PM

Ronald Douglas Montrose, Davey Patterson and Robin Trower.

Anon September 14, 2018 at 1:39 PM

I went to school with the mayor from the grinch he is a claycord native

Glennox125 September 14, 2018 at 1:41 PM

Hunter S Thompson. This was in the late 80’s, and he lamented that young people then seemed to care more about what color Jon Bon Jovi paints his toenails than who would be their president.

Atticus Thraxx September 14, 2018 at 5:14 PM

Of all of these I envy yours most.

Cowellian September 14, 2018 at 1:56 PM

President Ford.
I also met Johnny Cash on a flight to Nashville, and he was kind enough to autograph a napkin for my daughter.

Jeffrey September 14, 2018 at 2:05 PM

Prince (at a Blockbuster in FL), Huey Lewis, James Woods, Charlie Sheen, Buddy Rich, Marv Albert, Russell Westbrook and several former basketball players (Keith Askins, Raja Bell, Carlos Arroyo, Michael Jordan, Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf)

ClayDen September 14, 2018 at 2:16 PM

Grover Loening – the first person to receive a degree in aeronautical engineering

Dick Smothers (I competed against him on a sports car rallye, and had lunch with him)

Helio Castroneves and Gil de Ferran at Laguna Seca. We were doing a technical interchange with Penske Racing.

Bob Bondurant at COTA

Anonanon September 14, 2018 at 2:18 PM

The mayor of claycord

Dawg September 14, 2018 at 2:46 PM

I lived next door to Janis Joplin, even drank tequila with her once. Tho most famous and nicest person I’ve ever met was Natalie Wood. I saw her and Robert Wagner coming out of a restaurant in San Francisco’s China Town so I walked up to her and asked, “has anybody ever told you that you look like Natalie Wood?” She laughed and we talked for about 1/2 an hour. She was very friendly and was proud of her Russian heritage and told me how her parents immigrated from Russia and that she was born in San Francisco and grew up in Santa Rosa.
She was a beautiful woman, both, inside and out. I felt sad when I heard about her death.

Claycordian September 14, 2018 at 2:51 PM

Ella Fitzgerald , Muhammad Ali, Dave Winfield, Clint Eastwood.

tim September 14, 2018 at 3:09 PM

Chuck E. Cheese

Law Dog September 14, 2018 at 3:13 PM

God in my prayers.

Movie Fan September 14, 2018 at 3:17 PM

I met MC Hammer during his heyday at a Warriors Game. Got his autograph on my ticket but sadly, I can’t find it anymore.

I saw The Lost World: Jurassic Park opening weekend in NYC with Matthew Broderick, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Michelle Pfeiffer. Didn’t get to meet them… just sat an aisle or two away. SJP sat the whole movie with her shoes off, feet on the edge of her seat, and knees up. I’ve never seen another adult who’s that flexible or who could sit comfortably like that for 2 hours!

KAD September 14, 2018 at 3:35 PM

Nobody that I can think of.

foothillsguy September 14, 2018 at 3:48 PM

Dr. Don Rose from KFRC radio, I won a contest on that station to see Pablo cruise at Lake Tahoe. We flew a prop plane out of Buchanan to see them.

Dr. Jellyfinger September 14, 2018 at 8:45 PM

You lucky guy! Really… that must have been fun! I love Pablo Cruz’s music… Dr. Don was cool too.

KAD September 14, 2018 at 3:48 PM

I just remembered the only famous person I ever met – Richard Brautigan. He was an author and poet. I knew him in the sixties before he became famous. Sadly he committed suicide at his home in Bolinas in 1984.

Cellophane September 14, 2018 at 3:50 PM

Shook hands with Pres. Nixon a couple of times.

In my early life I was in the TV industry so I met all sorts of political candidates and people elected to office.

But my favorite was an interview I did with Charles Kuralt. I spent a few hours with him. A genuinely nice guy.

Pat Summerall and I had a drink once. Another great guy.

Talked with Chuck Barris once, funny guy.

outta here September 14, 2018 at 3:55 PM

Hey Mr. Cellophane-don’t you mean Abe Lincoln?

Outta here September 14, 2018 at 3:53 PM

Eddie Murphy
Bill Murray
Whoopi Goldberg
Mandy Patinkin
Frank Langella
Davy Jones
Joe Namath
Al Pacino

Outta here September 14, 2018 at 3:54 PM

Helen Hayes

Gititogether September 14, 2018 at 3:54 PM

Willie Mays…and his assistant. He and my 8 year old were both wearing flip up sunglasses and baseball hats and he agreed to take a picture with him. Very nice gentleman. His assistant was an exceptionally nice lady as well.

Roz September 14, 2018 at 4:04 PM

Don’t know how famous is famous, but I meet Mike Dirnt of Green Day in 1996. Real nice guy and funny. Beautiful sweet wife too.
It was at a friend’s house (B-Day Party) who grew up with Mike.

Sue September 14, 2018 at 4:05 PM

Louis Armstrong

THE ANIMAL September 14, 2018 at 4:23 PM

Charlie Callis
Casey Stangel
Sammy Davis Jr.
Sonny Barger
Johnny Mathis
Carlos Santana

Law Dog September 14, 2018 at 4:42 PM

George Barris, the King of Kustums.

Jojo Potato September 14, 2018 at 4:46 PM

Edward Teller (father of the H bomb). Came to give us a talk at high school science class. Scary guy!

Mimi (original) September 14, 2018 at 4:50 PM

Back in the day I worked at Joseph Magnin’s in Century City so I met Karen Valentine, Richard Chamberlin, Bette Midler, Tom Cruise, and a few others who’s names elude me right now. Then I moved to Palm Springs and worked for the Wyndham Hotel and met Sonny Bono (a real jerk!), Milli and Vanilli, George Michael, and Bob Hope.

FlyingSpaghettiMonsterCatcher September 14, 2018 at 5:00 PM

I almost sold a car to Arj Barker. He’s big in Australia.

prairiegirl September 14, 2018 at 5:11 PM

Chuck Yeager (1st to break the sound barrier)
Edward Teller (invented the hydrogen bomb)
Jharel Cotton (A’s pitcher)
L. Q. Jones (character actor in many westerns)

Half full September 14, 2018 at 5:40 PM

Foster Brooks

Citizen September 14, 2018 at 5:44 PM

My cousin Jacie was the lead backup singer for Neil Sedaka. I met him and spent time with him three times. Once at the Circle Star Theater, Concord Pavilion and Las Vegas. He was a lot of fun, in fact his entire group was very entertaining. He lives in many places but his main place is Upstate New York, Long Island.

Kirkwood September 14, 2018 at 6:06 PM

I was stationed at Beale AFB near Marysville in the early ‘60s. A movie company came in to shoot a film called “A Gathering of Eagles”. The pic starred Rock Hudson, Rod Tayler and female lead Mary Peach. I never got close enough to speak to them. Rock Hudson, who was about 6’2” wore elevator shoes and Rod Taylor wore at least 4” lifts. I was an extra and appear in the final cut. More interesting to me was the modified B-25 camera plane piloted by Paul Mantz. On fly days he arrived in his P-51 and flew home after shooting. HE was MY hero.

Hope Johnson September 14, 2018 at 6:16 PM

Most internationally known – Bono of U2 back in the early 1990’s
Locally – Jerry Brown
One of my faves – The bass player on the original 1965 “Linus and Lucy” song (Charlie Brown theme)

Buddy September 14, 2018 at 6:22 PM

Eva Anderson, miss Sweden 1980. She was an exchange student at my HS in NY

randy September 14, 2018 at 6:36 PM

Biff

Dr. Jellyfinger September 14, 2018 at 8:36 PM

Ronald Reagan saved my life when I was a child… but I didn’t really meet him.

I cooked breakfast for F.Lee Bailey when I was 18… but I didn’t really meet him..

I shared an Elevator with Zell Miller at an NRA convention in Reno where he was the key speaker, I actually met him! I wish there were more Dem’s like the late Mr. Miller

Tim September 14, 2018 at 9:04 PM

Ben Vereen ( Cicken George ). Dropped off Richard Simmons off at LA airport and had to tell Ben what a joy he was on a cruise. Danced with all the gals in my single group after he did his show. Nice guy.

mike September 14, 2018 at 9:41 PM

Sen. John McCain (nascar phoenix)
Sen. John Kyle (nascar phoenix)
Sheriff Joe Arpaio (nascar phoenix)
Hugh Hefner (several times) at and away from the mansion
Holly Madison
Bridget Marquardt
Kendra Wilkinson
Caya Hefner (Keith’s widow)
Dr 90210 Robert Rey
Natasha Yi
Tila Tequila
Cassie
Pitbull
The Scorpions
several others I can’t remember now…..

ScottG September 14, 2018 at 9:54 PM

POST DELETED
Please Note: Users who use multiple names will be deleted. Please choose a name so others can easily chat with you

Carrie September 14, 2018 at 10:43 PM

The Ramones. Went to their concert in 88’ stayed at their hotel that night and hung out at the pool with them. Johnny Ramone even bought me and a friend a strawberry shake in the diner. We sat there and asked him about his life in NYC. It was so surreal.

Victoria September 14, 2018 at 11:18 PM

I met John Travolta at Coit Tower around 1980. He was very nice and soft spoken.

I'm The Urban Spaceman September 15, 2018 at 12:34 AM

Emmylou Haris, Lyle Lovett, Dr. Dean, Melvin Belli,

Led September 15, 2018 at 1:06 AM

Johnny Crawford (played Mark in “The Rifleman” as a kid and then had a musical career). Charming old dude.

Steph September 15, 2018 at 8:54 AM

Blake Shelton
Garth Brooks
(too many country artists to name them all)
Danny Glover
James Caan
Beau Bridges
Norman Reedus
Roseanne Barr (at a book signing-long before the full crazy set in)

Jo Ann Jo Ann September 15, 2018 at 11:27 AM

I didn’t talk to him just stood in awe. Steven Speillburg was in Martinez scouting a location and looking at our beautiful old court houses.

Anon September 15, 2018 at 11:35 AM

Shawn Michaels
Scott Hall
Curt Hennig
Nick Bokwinkel
Sherry Martel
Marty Jannety
The Barbarian
Playboy Buddy Rose
And a bunch of others at the AWA after party 1985 or 86 when they had an event in Oakland at the Kaiser Convention Center.
The hotel suite they had, I remember the bathtub being filled up with ice and booze. Of course they were all friends, which shattered my illusions 🙂

Dr Jellyfinger September 15, 2018 at 9:01 PM

Who…. the Robot or the Captain?

Silva September 15, 2018 at 11:59 AM

Captain Satellite and Rupert the Robot at a birthday party. He was a bit short tempered that day.

S September 15, 2018 at 2:54 PM

Opps, you’re aging yourself… Less and less people remember the Captain; it was a local show, so hard to find people of “that” age from around here. ok, time to age myself: do you remember Mayor Art as well?

Silva September 15, 2018 at 4:09 PM

Hi City Councillllll!!

HII RING-A-DIIIIING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S September 16, 2018 at 11:25 AM

🙂

anonamiss September 15, 2018 at 3:30 PM

Many years ago I worked at the Sonoma Mission Inn. We would have numerous celebrities coming to the hotel and spa. I met Sir John Mills, Bobcat Goldtwaith, Robin Williams, I cut Judge Ruth Ginsberg’s hair and had to give Johnnie Cochran a scalp massage. There were so many celebrities that would go to SMI it was a bygone era. 🙂

TJ September 15, 2018 at 4:50 PM

Robin Williams…. was in Tibron near his homeboy in 20011 and introduced myself – I knew I would never get a chance to meet anyone that famous! He was EXTREMELY friendly but I was surprised at how quiet and reserved he was…. we talked about life, being a celebrity, etc for about 20 minutes. Was very sad when he committed suicide a few years later.

Whoe Jim September 16, 2018 at 9:35 PM

I used to to work at the Mark Hopkins Hotel as a young man and talked to Anson Williams (Pottsie) on the TV show Happy Days, he was respectful. I also poured coffee for Cyril Magnin, Chief executive of Joseph Magnin Dept stores.
He brought his dog Tipi in the coffee shop for breakfast. In those days,dogs weren’t allowed in any places such as these, albeit he had an entire floor for himself. Karl Maldon of streets of SF would also grab a cup. Singer/Dancer Joel Gray would come in for breakfast. He performed across the st,at the Fairmount Hotel. But my favorite of all was saying hello to Robin Williams who was jogging near the Cliff House in SF, when I was taking my Mom to Lunch…..

rose scott September 17, 2018 at 10:11 AM

I was able to get Dr. Seuss signature on my book edition of Green Eggs and Ham and to this day I still have this Greem Eggs and Ham children’s story book with his signature “Dr. Seuss” This was back in Nov. 18, 1988 in Walnut Creek at the Crown Books store during a book signing my daughter was with me at the time she was only 4 years old then.

Lo September 17, 2018 at 2:48 PM