The WC – Taco Bell Voted America’s Best Mexican Restaurant

September 13, 2018 12:29 pm · 73 comments

The “Water Cooler” is a feature on Claycord.com where we ask you a question or provide a topic, and you talk about it!

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon!

Taco Bell was recently voted America’s Best Mexican Restaurant (which, by the way, is 100% correct), but in your opinion, what would you say is America’s best Mexican restaurant? (last year’s winner was Chipotle)

Talk about it….

{ 73 comments… read them below or add one }

Dorothy September 13, 2018 at 12:34 PM

I wouldn’t have voted for Taco Bell. Just who were they asking? And while we are at it, I like Chipotle better but would never vote as best Mexican at any time.

GregTheElder September 13, 2018 at 12:37 PM

Don’t mind a little Taco Smell once in a while but this is ridiculous!

AnonZ September 13, 2018 at 12:38 PM

LMAO Taco Hell is NOT MEXICAN FOOD; it’s not even food, it’s garbage!!

Los Panchos in Pacheco is the best.

Beverly September 15, 2018 at 11:46 AM

I agreee Los Panchos is real Mexican Food. Taco Bell is not.

Nope September 13, 2018 at 12:43 PM

I think this clearly demonstrates just how stupid we, the American people, have become.

ZZ September 13, 2018 at 12:53 PM

That’s really funny!

aDingoAteMyBaby September 13, 2018 at 12:55 PM

Toxic Belch?! Seriously?

DrvrdadCA September 13, 2018 at 12:55 PM

These voters were from Ney York City, just like their salsa.

DrvrdadCA September 13, 2018 at 12:56 PM

These voters were from New York City. Just like their salsa.

Lol September 13, 2018 at 12:57 PM

Please never call taco bell a Mexican restaurant. Its a American restaurant not Mexican.

CLAYCORD.com September 13, 2018 at 1:00 PM

So….what would you say is America’s best Mexican restaurant?

Concerned Citizen September 13, 2018 at 1:45 PM

Taco Sal’s

Eubanks & Menaul
ABQ, NM

Dawg September 13, 2018 at 1:02 PM

Anybody that voted for Taco Bell has never been to Mexico and has never eaten Mexican food.

Dorothy September 13, 2018 at 2:36 PM

Or had a Mexican neighbor who will share with you and teach you how to make real tamales.

Roz September 13, 2018 at 3:23 PM

Yes,…Our neighbor shared with me too!

Foonman September 13, 2018 at 3:47 PM

You are right. I had a steak in Mexico, had to cut it with a chainsaw. Very nice looking restaurant but the food was so-so……

Stove September 13, 2018 at 1:03 PM

This sounds like it was nation wide, so your little local taco shop would never even be close. It would likely be the restaurant with the most locations. Taco Bell sounds right as they are everywhere.

Couch Tomato September 13, 2018 at 1:03 PM

Taco Bell is about as Mexican as Olive Garden is Italian.

AnonZ September 14, 2018 at 4:49 AM

Thanks for the laugh!!

Roz September 13, 2018 at 1:03 PM

Well,….maybe Taco Bell for “Fast Food” Mexican Restaurant, but not “Real” Mexican Restaurant. For real mexican, I like El Molino ( ? on spelling there).
Sometimes I’ve hit up Taco Bell for a quick grab on the go. Of all the Taco Bells in my area (yes, some are better that others), the one on Port Chicago & Olivera, the staff there are pleasant and the ladies making the meal,…they really give a darn and are the best.

First Gen Mexican September 13, 2018 at 4:31 PM

Hands down THE BEST in concord! And yes, your spelling is correct 🙂

Tonic September 13, 2018 at 1:06 PM

??? TACO BELL is a Restaurant ???

Tonic September 13, 2018 at 1:07 PM

??? TACO BELL is a Restaurant ???

old-school guy September 13, 2018 at 1:15 PM

The voters have very low standards. I would have voted for Old Town Mex in San Diego.

Tsa September 13, 2018 at 1:16 PM

That’s what happens when millennials vote, a sign of what’s in store for our country.

Mr. Mac September 13, 2018 at 1:20 PM

A direct result of cannabis legalization 😅🤣😂

Bad Nombre September 13, 2018 at 1:29 PM

Well, seeing as it’s “America’s” I suppose they can call it whatever they like. Sorta like the fortune cookies.

Kinsey Leakey September 13, 2018 at 1:30 PM

These surveys are always stupid…and that’s enough said on that.

ACB128 September 13, 2018 at 1:32 PM

I don’t mind Taco Bell but definitely surprised its considered “the best”. I like El Farro and Chipotle is pretty good.

whome September 13, 2018 at 1:34 PM

Taco Bell is OK, as a fast food chain (open late, etc.). The problem I have personally is they skimp way too much on the Taco cheese! Even paying $0.30 extra or whatever for extra cheese, it’s still just a few pieces.

At least at Del Taco they load their Taco’s up with lots of cheese…

Personally I’d vote for El Aguila Mexican Cuisine on Contra Costa Blvd in PH.

ACB128 September 13, 2018 at 3:06 PM

El Aguila is awesome!

Wally Whitworth September 13, 2018 at 1:34 PM

The Red Iguana in salt lake city. Best mole sauce I’ve ever tasted and the entrees are as good as they get.

hmm September 13, 2018 at 1:41 PM

The real Freebirds down in Goleta not the knockoff we have up here locally.

Fred September 13, 2018 at 1:43 PM

If you want a greasy taco then yea Taco Bell. If you want burrito stuffed with white rice then Chipotle. Just about any taco truck can do better then either of these places.

Kentucky Derby September 13, 2018 at 1:58 PM

I think Taco Bell was voted #1 because of their prices. They’re dirt cheap. I love Mexican food but I eat sparingly. I like my Mexican food “barrio style.” If everyone is speaking Spanish but me, that’s where I’m getting the “real deal.”: East Oakland, Mission District, East LA, etc. In the words of Led Zeppelin, “Bring it on Home.”

Kirkwood September 13, 2018 at 1:58 PM

I was surprised when I saw the headline a few days ago. I assumed T.B. was judged by comparison to other Mexican style fast food chains based upon numbers of walk-ins or dollar volume. I didn’t read the story, so don’t know the judging criteria.

CalOldBlue September 13, 2018 at 2:08 PM

The article which triggered this is some combination of stupid and misleading. It is based on a Harris poll asking people about national brands of ‘Mexican food’; so right off the bat you can ignore any local restaurant, or even local chains. So no, this is not “America’s Best Mexican Restaurant”. The poll was positioned thus in another publication: “The Harris Poll EquiTrend Study measures the overall health of a brand by asking consumers questions based on three variables — familiarity, quality and future consideration. The results are aggregated into a one-number score.” So this is nothing more than a recognition of how well-known a brand is. Only one variable even gets close to the food itself; quality. If you haven’t heard of the brand, it loses on familiarity and future consideration (why would you go someplace you’ve never heard of?). NOT EVEN CLOSE to a poll of “Best Mexican Restaurant”.

Frambley1 September 13, 2018 at 3:46 PM

Thanks for the explanation. This is a great example of how articles for the masses about studies of any sort don’t get translated well from the source material. This happens alot with articles based on nutritional studies and all sorts of papers from scientific journals. It is basically a useless summary who’s headline will get alot of clicks and mentions on drive time radio shows and then on late night talk shows.

If this kind of stuff is actually interesting to you, like if you want to know what Americans like to eat, you need to at least go to the secondary publication that summarized the paper, and in some cases right to the source material.

Simonpure September 13, 2018 at 2:21 PM

I just threw up in my mouth a little…

AnonZ September 14, 2018 at 4:51 AM

Right?!!!

Chicken Little September 13, 2018 at 2:47 PM

I’m guessing the poll was conducted in front of a marijuana dispensary.

Simonpure September 13, 2018 at 3:07 PM

Hilarious!!!

HappyPappy September 13, 2018 at 2:53 PM

This is someone’s idea of a prank, you’ve all been played.

ClayDen September 13, 2018 at 3:31 PM

Did we just pass through a time warp to April 1st???????????

BTW, there’s a great “semi-permanent” taco truck near the north shore of Oahu………

Nellie September 13, 2018 at 3:47 PM

kids & teens voted

However the Mexican restaurants around the area are pretty bad.
Voted for best of the worst

Cellophane September 13, 2018 at 3:48 PM

I’d voter for Taco Johns.

A small chain in the flyover states.

That’s the best fast food mex joint I’ve had.

I

mohairs September 13, 2018 at 4:18 PM

Don’t know what the best is since we rarely eat out. But I would think Taco Bell is about the only Mexican restaurant chain that’s probably located in all 50 states so it must have easily won. 🙂

First Gen Mexican September 13, 2018 at 4:28 PM

Okay lets face it, this is the most ridiculous thing! Taco Bell isn’t the best but they’re basing this off of popular “Mexican” restaurants. If there was a real Mexican restaurant that had my Abuelita making tortillas by hand and it was worldwide, that would be voted the best. But they’re basing it off of franchises like Taco Bell and Chipotle so its a load of crap. I would like to know what were the other options?

Led September 13, 2018 at 4:34 PM

This is a ridiculous contest. If you want good Mexican food the last thing you try is a national chain. It’s like asking what the best fast-food French cuisine is – there just isn’t anything (or anything good) in that category.

Let’s try some others:

Who is the world’s best basketball player (who plays on the Sacramento Kings)?

What is the best Mozzarella cheese (cheese sticks only)?

Or better yet, it’s like trying to ask seriously who the world’s best wrestler is, but restricting answers to WWE performers.

Justifiable Languor September 14, 2018 at 8:08 AM

I think you’ve go it!

I was shocked. Sensibility overtook me when I read it had to be a brand that was nationally recognized. This was a fun read though.

Taco Bell? The impertinence! Which isn’t to say I have never enjoyed it.

Vandy September 13, 2018 at 4:49 PM

I stopped eating Taco Bell when it was revealed to me that they use Silicon Dioxide (=sand, glass, quartz) as a filler in their “meat” aka “ground beef” This is hypothetically inert. It can’t be digested and simply passes through the digestive tract. Yet I cannot get it out of my head that I am consuming glass. Way to go America. That sure is great.

Future Catlady September 13, 2018 at 4:52 PM

Mexican woman here….Taco Bell????? What the ……..!

Atticus Thraxx September 13, 2018 at 5:01 PM

I’m not sure white people should ever be asked to judge Mexican food. Having said that though, as fast food goes, you could do worse. I do like the Grilled Stuft Burrito. And it crazy cheap food.

Disgusted September 13, 2018 at 5:43 PM

Don’t you get tired of categorizing citizens by the color of their skin? We are all human.

Atticus Thraxx September 13, 2018 at 6:45 PM

Relax Francis , some of my best friends are white people.

Pony September 13, 2018 at 5:18 PM

Taco Bell supplants Chipotle. Just shows Americans have no idea what real Mexican food is. Most don’t know the difference between mole sauce and a mole. That said, when I am near one, I do love me some Taco Johns

Gititogether September 13, 2018 at 5:36 PM

Yep…the best….and California borne to boot.

TJ September 13, 2018 at 5:39 PM

NEW MECCA in Pittsburg is hands down the best authentic Mexican food in the area… so good! Also is EL FARO still down on Monument Blvd? Awesome burritos there for the last 30 yrs or so 😉

Pacman September 13, 2018 at 6:01 PM

Sooo… Just so I’m up to speed.

The place that killed people (at multiple locations) because of dirty green onions beat the other place that killed people (at multiple locations) because of dirty lettuce.

That really is a tough choice. Ordering a pizza now.

C G September 13, 2018 at 7:46 PM

Cinco de Mayo on Concord Boulevard

Consumer B September 13, 2018 at 7:54 PM

W H A T
Only in corporate America, where the processed food arrives to the Fake Mexican restaurants in a semi.
Consider ourselves lucky to live in an area where we can experience authentic delicious, true Mexican food .

Selkie September 13, 2018 at 7:57 PM

What?!!!

Dr. Jellyfinger September 13, 2018 at 9:51 PM

At what elementary school did they take this survey?

Oh! and I gotta pick a favorite?
Well…. locally I really love Los Panchos in Danville.

I haven’t been to Mexico since ’96 and the ritzy resort restaurants weren’t what I’d call “real Mexican food” either… but when I was a kid my Grandma (from Mexico) and her Sisters and a couple of my Aunts and my Mom would make us dinners that were friggin delicious! They’d sit around patting out real tortillas and the whole house would fill with wonderful aromas… .Dinner at Grandma’s….. Nom!

Jess September 13, 2018 at 10:38 PM

Whoa.. that’s just whoa. I guess the Demolition Man scene will become reality! haha! Okay, but honestly, the whole country isn’t going to know about the small ma and pop shops with the best burrito in existence. We can keep it our secret so we won’t have to wait for a table!

Willis September 13, 2018 at 10:44 PM

I may be a gringo, but… Taco Bell?

Annon2 September 13, 2018 at 10:53 PM

WC Taco Bell??? Wasn’t that the one the Health Dept closed for Dirty Dinning? TB voted better than Chipotle, now that is a ringing endorsement.

jjshawk September 14, 2018 at 12:04 AM

Taco Bell, not the worst food in the world, hardly qualifies as Mexican food.
Los Gallos and Los Portales,….always has great food. Its the real stuff, tastes a little different each time, but that’s part of the goodness.

Moon Dog September 14, 2018 at 2:11 AM

#1 New Mecca in Pittsburg
#2 Los Pancho’s in Pacheco
#3 El Farro in Concord

The Know September 14, 2018 at 5:54 AM

The Crack being smoked…El POLLO Loco chicken carbons destroy taco hell. This is awful and very untrue, calling taco bell anything more than an emergency food. Gross. You can’t even get shrimp. Tripping. Bandwagon

The Fractionator September 14, 2018 at 8:58 AM

Taco Bell, “The Best Mexican Food,” has to be FAKE NEWS, right!

The Mamba September 14, 2018 at 9:04 AM

Of course Taco Bell won, we are now living in the early Idiocracy stage of America. Remember that we are extremely blessed with Mexican food choices here in the Bay Area and California in general, there’s large swathes of America where Taco Bell is probably the only Mexican they have exposure to.

Silva September 14, 2018 at 9:26 AM

That’s hilarious. I wouldn’t eat it if I was starving. My husband sometimes wants something from there. I wait in the car. Yuck.

just sayin September 14, 2018 at 11:23 AM

Yeah but all the same stupid people keep voting yes on tax increases. Every time a new tax increase passes I cannot believe that there are so many stupid ignorant people in this state.