Free Animal Adoptions At Contra Costa County Shelters Through Friday

September 11, 2018 19:00 pm · 12 comments

All animal adoption fees are being waived this week at Contra Costa Animal Services shelters in Martinez and Pinole to clear shelter space.

The free adoptions will be available from Tuesday through Friday at the shelter at 4800 Imhoff Place in Martinez and at 910 San Pablo Ave. in Pinole, according to the agency.

Although adoption fees will be waived, that does not include the cost of licensing and any refundable deposits for surgery, animal services officials said.

People can visit either shelter to meet the animals there and can also visit www.ccasd.org to see what animals are available for adoption.

Dog /Cat. Person September 12, 2018 at 7:39 AM

Would love to adopt…however just because I love animals doesn’t mean I should be a pet parent. Not everyone will make a good pet parent. I would like to take this opportunity to share my observation of some pet owners who do not make good, or responsible pet owners.
Especially those who think it’s okay to bring their dog in a grocery store or a retail store… first of all it’s not sanitary. I’m not saying leave your dog in the hot car. Just know that dogs don’t belong everywhere people go.
And it’s not cute when your dog barks hysterically at a person, as you’re walking by them on the sidewalk. Or when you leave them in the yard to bark hysterically for long periods of time.
Hopefully, all the new dog owners who will be adopting dogs from the shelter will be responsible and give their new dog behavior classes, (offered at Petsmart, etc.) especially if you have no experience in dog handling.
Cats on the other hand …very different and usually take care of themselves.
Here Kitty Kitty!

Jim September 12, 2018 at 8:19 AM

I’d like to educate you about cats. They do not take care of themselves. They dump in their neighbors yards. I clean up after them all the time. They poop in my shredded bark, in my pea gravel and in my vegetable garden. I’m forever trying to find new ways to keep them out. Please keep your flea infested cat inside.

Justifiable anger September 12, 2018 at 11:42 AM

Amen Jim! I gried everything to keep the cats out of my garden. Peppermint soap, cayenne pepper, sticks, hollering, heheh, I stopped that because it made me look stupid, not the cat owners.

I finally found the way to get rid of them. No more stinking fingers from planting, weeding, caring for the lovely plants. I quit gardening. Let the ground go hard, the weeds return and the lack of watering keeps everything perfect. Of course it behooves the cat owners to figure out why our house looks uncared for now. Another laugh for me.

Concord dog owner September 12, 2018 at 12:21 PM

We don’t necessarily think it’s cute when they bark either, but unfortunately dogs that are rescued from the shelter often come with physical or behavioral problems due to their past (e.g. abuse, abandoned at shelter, lost from home, etc.) and the barking may be a result of these issues. I would hope that most dog owners are working on helping calm their dogs down but change does not happen overnight.

Dog /Cat. Person September 12, 2018 at 2:49 PM

Cats are healthier and happy when kept inside. Again, I’m sorry for the irresponsible cat parents who let their cats roam free, in your neighborhood, as if they are wild, or feral animals.
These cat Parents don’t understand the damage that’s being done and how you are suffering .

Silva September 12, 2018 at 3:46 PM

It’s been my experience that cats are not only healthier and happy when kept inside, but they live at least twice as long. I’ll never have another indoor/outdoor cat. And despite their opinion on the matter, you’re the boss.

Concord Grape September 12, 2018 at 8:49 AM

Dogs have owners, cats have staff

Law Dog September 12, 2018 at 11:38 AM

This world has become Dog Crazy. We need more Cats.

Concordmom September 12, 2018 at 12:56 PM

Sounds like the cats ARE taking care of themselves, they poop wherever they want, and somebody else cleans it up.

Lena September 12, 2018 at 3:16 PM

Here’s a little something for the animal lovers among you. Although, sometimes people put up stuff about their kids that they think is cute (but really isn’t and nobody wants to tell them).

How About Some Positive Comments..?? September 12, 2018 at 8:54 PM

The Folks at the Shelter work hard to find homes for Dogs and Cats that are usually abandoned by Morons. Support them, or Shut up…..

Dog /Cat. Person September 12, 2018 at 9:42 PM

You shut up… and stop trying to pawn these animals off on people who are not qualified to own them.