Concord Resident Finds Thief Inside Apartment During Morning Burglary On Clayton Rd., Two Cameras Stolen

September 11, 2018 10:09 am · 34 comments

A Concord resident awoke to find a thief standing inside his apartment in the 5300 block of Clayton Rd. this morning around 6 a.m.

The suspect, described as an unknown race male, was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and jeans. He was last seen running on Clayton Rd. toward Ygnacio Valley Rd.

The thief was able to flee with two cameras.

“The Olympus M-1 was an early camera, and only about 5,000 of them were made before the name had to be changed to the OM-1. The K1000 is a run-of-the-mill camera that had a great deal of sentimental value because it was my first camera,” according to the victim.

“I’m hoping that someone can find these on Craigslist or at a pawn shop and help me out,” the victim added.

Anyone with information can email tips to news@claycord.com or call the Concord Police Department at 925-671-3220.

Kentucky Derby September 11, 2018 at 10:20 AM

How scary.

Wow September 11, 2018 at 10:36 AM

Wow! That’s so scary. Sorry to hear and I hope your able to get the cameras back. Just wondering but how did this person get in?

David Hancock September 11, 2018 at 11:10 AM

Through my side window.

HonestLandlord September 11, 2018 at 11:42 AM

You should have shot him square in the chest… One less criminal, and you’d still have your cameras… all while operating within legal bounds.

No Thanks September 12, 2018 at 8:47 AM

I agree with HonestLandlord – except I would suggest a double-tap

Mimi (original) September 11, 2018 at 10:51 AM

Oh dear! I hope you’re able to recover your property! My first camera was the K-1000 as well. Sturdy little workhorse!

Jojo Potato September 11, 2018 at 10:56 AM

Hey, an Asahi Pentax. Those weren’t sold in the US as far as I know. I got mine from my cousin who had been in Japan while in the navy (US). Great camera, mine died after living in west Africa and getting full of mold. I understand the sentimental attachment. Weird things to take though.

Fred September 11, 2018 at 10:57 AM

I have an old Olympus film camera I tried to sell. Didn’t get any takers, so I offered it for free. Still no takers. So now it’s on the shelf as decoration with an old Brownie and an old Kodak Tourist camera. The only value is for decoration.

Kinsey Leakey September 11, 2018 at 11:30 AM

Lucky the intruder only took your cameras and not your life.
So I guess the occupants gun wasn’t within easy reach to persuade the intruder to drop to the floor, before he was actually dropped to the floor.

Chicken Little September 11, 2018 at 11:49 AM

The M1911 is a common pistol that probably would have been used to perforate that intruder if I had woken up and found him in my house.

E September 11, 2018 at 12:45 PM

Check eBay as well and see if the serial numbers match

Roz September 11, 2018 at 12:46 PM

I feel for David’s loss and hope he gets the cameras back.
I have a 1978 Minolta XG-7, my first camera. Needs repair, but I love it.
Lucky, hopefully to be unhurt.

Anonymous September 11, 2018 at 2:04 PM

My first camera was a 1978 Minolta XG 7 as well.
My guess is the cameras were laying out in plain sight and were the first things that he grabbed. Then he was noticed and didn’t have time to grab anything else and just ran with them. If he can sell them for a nickel that’s $0.05 more towards his next high and that is all these thieves are looking for. Is their next high and how to get it.

Silva September 11, 2018 at 5:54 PM

I think I bought my Minolta XG7 in 1983. It was my favorite camera, but the mirrors froze up, and I don’t want to try to fix it myself.

Bill Cutting September 11, 2018 at 12:54 PM

I agree this is why you keep a pistol close by at home! A lot more of this is going to happen with overpopulation and the high cost of living here. Anyone know the laws on shooting an intruder?

Conc le Bonk September 11, 2018 at 1:31 PM

Yes! Always be ready to gun down another human being to … protect your vintage camera collection?

Race of suspect is obviously, “Hipster”.

Chicken Little September 11, 2018 at 2:52 PM

Bill,
At the risk of oversimplification, someone who forcibly enters your home without your permission is presumed to intend bodily harm and you have no duty to retreat before using any force necessary, up to and including deadly force.

Gun Owner September 12, 2018 at 5:14 AM

Good question. As a young stay-at-home mother with a spouse that leaves early in the morning, this is the reason I have a gun within safe distance. Entering my home would be ones last.

RANDOM TASK September 11, 2018 at 1:42 PM

Sorry dude that blows ….but in this state it’s legal to steal from you

I do not agree but we are under dem rule here and they insist we give to the criminals so they will be less inclined to do it again …..right …oh I mean left
Don’t want to upset the Reich in this state

Original G September 11, 2018 at 2:56 PM

An IF caught what’s the worst term of incarceration that would be possible and given soft on crime CA what would be an actual realistic outcome ? ? ?

When criminals are no longer afraid of consequences resulting from commission of the crime, NO ONE is Safe.

Castle Doctrine September 11, 2018 at 2:57 PM

California Self Defense: The Castle Doctrine
California is not a stand your ground state, but does recognize the “castle doctrine,” which applies to one’s home, place of business, or other real property. Similarly, an individual using deadly force to protect his or her property has no duty to retreat. But castle doctrine rights end when an individual is no longer on his or her real property. As a general rule of thumb, any force used against an intruder must be proportionate to the harm reasonably feared.

Dr. Jellyfinger September 11, 2018 at 8:59 PM

And if the dead intruder has a knife clutched in his hand when the cops arrive, it makes it so much easier….

RANDOM TASK September 11, 2018 at 4:00 PM

ON a side note

A woman convicted of helping a former street preacher kidnap Elizabeth Smart in 2002 will be freed from prison more than five years earlier than expected, a surprise decision that Smart called “incomprehensible” on Tuesday.

yeah this state takes care of criminals ….citizens are used as fodder

Silva September 11, 2018 at 5:58 PM

That’s Utah.

anonamiss September 11, 2018 at 5:00 PM

Sorry to hear that some slimeball ripped off this man’s personal property. The gutless wonder that sneaked through a window at 6 am was brazen but a lowlife nonetheless. I wonder if it is someone that knew of his camera collection?? I’d start there first. Hope that he gets them back.

Change September 11, 2018 at 5:23 PM

Funny how the trolls try to make every story political

Pacman September 11, 2018 at 6:18 PM

I actually agree that everything seems to veer towards politics…and that’s unfortunate.

Regrettably we live in a state where our current politicians spend more time on reducing crime to slaps on the wrist to reduce prison overcrowding. Even the general populous bought into the false narrative of Proposition 47 and AB 109.

We pay for convicted criminals to earn college degrees and get taxpayer-funded sex changes. We eliminated bail for people arrested for “non-violent” crime (and that list would curl your hair), and our state leadership wants to give convicted felons the right to vote.

None of this has to be about politics, but our state and our supposed leadership has “decriminalized” so many things in the last 20 years that good people are being negatively affected by bad government and quite frankly because of politics.

As a moderate, I’ve kind of hit my saturation point on bad government on a myriad of topics. That is why virtually every topic sinks into a discussion of politics. This is not the land of opportunity I grew up in and we have no one else to blame other than politicians that changed it.

Oh, and as a former owner of an Olympus OM-2 that I worked all summer to buy in the 80’s just to have it stolen (along with a model train set and other monetarily worthless items), I genuinely feel the pain. Street value is next to nothing on these items, but sentimental value is priceless.

Person September 11, 2018 at 9:27 PM

Sorry this happened to you, how awful.

I have guns and a male german shepherd in my house, anyone who enters my house univited is mince meat! What do you have in the way of protection?

WC Resident September 12, 2018 at 9:27 AM

Fortunately, I seem to be surrounded by Internet tough guys and so don’t need a gun nor a dog.

@David Hancock – sign up for craigslist and while signed in go to https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/pha?query=Olympus+M-1 and then click “save search”. Do the same for https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/pha?query=Pentax+K1000

You can also use the “include nearby areas” thing in the left sidebar. You can include most of California if you enable enough checkboxes. Thieves are driving in from the Sacramento and central valley area and so I’d keep an eye on more than just the SF bay area.

From the alerts page enable the check boxes on the left. You will then get an e-mail or text the instant anyone posts about either camera for sale. There are currently no M-1s for sale anywhere in California but many people have K1000s.

Nokeem September 12, 2018 at 9:34 AM

Get an alarm and sadly say goodbye to your stolen items. Don’t meet anyone selling your camera in Craigslist anywhere but a police station – inside. Get your security souped up now bc chances are good they come back in 30 days after you replaced (if you can afford to) your stolen items, not to mention what perp saw but couldn’t get to bc he/she was interrupted.

Nokeem September 12, 2018 at 9:41 AM

PS boobytrap your good things and set up decoys. You need to buy yourself the 10 minute police response time for an alarm. To make matters worse you need to post signs to warn scumbags that entry into your home will result in severe bodily injury and/or death. The roaches may get in but they can’t get out is my motto. I got robbed all my treasures stolen and couldn’t replace them all but it’s not going to happen again on their terms, on mine. We are on our own. The vermin who are brazenly robbing homes – when you are home so is your wallet – aren’t getting prosecuted so you have to protect yourself while warning them that you will.

Bill Cutting September 12, 2018 at 2:28 PM

Wc res so you prefer we all be unarmed? How’s that working out for Chicago residents? Another liberal go figure and living in their insulated protective bubble in Walnut Creek how about you go set up shop in Oakland Pal… be sure to tell your neighbors you’re not a Internet tough guy and that you don’t need firearms

BoboHead September 12, 2018 at 3:22 PM

I started reading these comments and got through a few without reading a gun comment. I was fairly confident that the first 20 comments would all be about guns and was happy to see otherwise.
It was short lived of course because all the super-tough people with guns got their comments in. I’ve always wondered about gun-toting tough people, do you sleep with your gun? Is it right next to you all night? What about if you get up at 2am to use the bathroom, do you bring it? Or how about 6am, when you get up to have breakfast? It must be hard for you, being so scared all the time…

Atticus Thraxx September 12, 2018 at 5:38 PM

Most of them are lying Bobo. And they ain’t getting up at 6:00 a.m.