The Water Cooler – Do You Have A Tattoo? Do You Hate It Or Love It?

August 21, 2018 12:00 pm · 70 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon!

Today’s question:

Do you have a tattoo? Do you love it or hate it?

Talk about it….

AnonZ August 21, 2018 at 12:07 PM

Got my first one for my 50th birthday. Love it!

Pollyanna August 21, 2018 at 12:18 PM

Currently have 2 and I love them. Both are on the smaller scale and not really noticable unless you know where to look. I want more just haven’t done it yet.

Mike August 21, 2018 at 12:27 PM

I have two, and I love them both. Both I got in memoriam of my little sister who passed away at the age of 25 this last October. One was a Walt Whitman Quote (she had the same tattoo, same font on her ) and another was a drawing she made that I had turned in to a design and tattoed on my forearm.

Jana Pappas August 21, 2018 at 12:40 PM

I am sorry for your loss, Mike. This is the only way I would want another tattoo. If it were meaningful.

Couch Tomato August 21, 2018 at 12:30 PM

I don’t have any. Know several people who regret some of theirs. Removal is very expensive/painful. Wish they would develop tattoos that disappear quickly after about 5 years. I would go for one of those.

hmm August 21, 2018 at 1:17 PM

If you get blacklight ink tattoos or lighter colored tattoos they do.

thedude August 22, 2018 at 7:23 AM

thats why they make the paper ones in the quarter machines

Cowellian August 21, 2018 at 12:31 PM

Tattoos are not my thing.

Your mileage may vary.

Frank August 21, 2018 at 12:36 PM

I got mine while in the Army. It’s a skull, smoking a joint and the word Laos 1969. It’s not very good, I had a bit of skin cancer that messed it up some. It’s just a rememberance of my life as a stoner in hell.

Bluebird August 21, 2018 at 2:49 PM

Thanks for your service. Glad you made it back home.

Always Right August 21, 2018 at 12:39 PM

I saw a ton of ugly tattoos when I was at Disneyland this summer.

Got me thinking: how could so many people pay so much money for poor results?

The answer is they never get anything other than positive feedback. To be honest, I would never tell someone they had an ugly tattoo, so I am part of the problem.

Jana Pappas August 21, 2018 at 12:43 PM

I would prefer not to have the tattoo on my lower back that I got in college. It has a bit of meaning, but only because I designed it and justified it that way. I would like to get it removed, actually.

chuckie the troll August 21, 2018 at 12:45 PM

I love that I don’t have a tattoo. No regrets.

DD August 21, 2018 at 12:46 PM

I have 4. I could be in a T-Shirt and shorts and you wouldn’t see any of them. Discretion is the key.

Julie August 21, 2018 at 12:51 PM

I have 5 and am in the process of getting even more and I love every one of them

HappyPappy August 21, 2018 at 1:04 PM

Never had the urge to prove I was different, and independent……………like everybody else!

LuckyLucy August 21, 2018 at 1:38 PM

It has nothing to do with being different or independent. Not sure why you do things in life but its personal pleasure.

LuckyLucy August 21, 2018 at 1:05 PM

Although some are as small as a penny and others as big as my thigh, I have gotten about 20 within the past ten years. Some I regret where I got them and others I absolutely love! I will forever get them and know I won’t regret them when I’m ‘old and wrinkly’

Dawg August 21, 2018 at 1:23 PM

I got one on my upper left arm about 7 or 8 years ago. I don’t hate it, but I’m not in love with it either. I never even think about it and it can only be seen if I wear a sleeveless shirt, otherwise no one can see it.
I thought about it for a couple of years before I did it because I wanted one that’s unique and not generic. I decided on my family coat of arms.

biggus thinkus August 21, 2018 at 1:24 PM

i’m a blank canvas myself, a few of my buddies are too. wife has 4 i believe, maybe 5, all pretty cool and with meaning

Kentucky Derby August 21, 2018 at 1:39 PM

Not for me, but if others want one, that’s their business. Even if I wanted one (or more) I would think how they’d treat me in the retirement home in my 80s or 90s, and I’d find myself heading back to my car. I’d probably go grocery shopping instead.

Ranchgirl August 21, 2018 at 2:01 PM

I have 6 and love them all.

SF oh August 21, 2018 at 2:09 PM

Yep – love it. Got it a long time ago in San Francisco – genuine Lyle Tuttle.

Silva August 21, 2018 at 2:27 PM

I bet that’s real nice.

Roz August 21, 2018 at 2:14 PM

After all these years (60), I haven’t made up my mind on what or where on my body I would have a tattoo or any. Also ~ maybe, because some times I pass out when getting shots and bloodwork,…LOL!
But I do enjoy looking at others who have tattoos and learning the stories behind them.

Simonpure August 21, 2018 at 3:56 PM

Oh my gosh Roz…don’t laugh. I have needle phobia real bad too. Never passed out but blood pressure sky rockets, break out in sweat and start shaking. Been that way my whole life. It’s actually embarrassing but I just cant help it.
P.S. How you doing on the cigs? Hope very well.

Roz August 21, 2018 at 8:03 PM

WOW! My sister does the same as you!!
I have to go with her during bloodwork to keep her calm.
Yeah, my Hubby’s blood pressure sky rockets just driving by a hospital,…LOL!
Still pretty much at 4 a day,…sometimes more or less.

Silva August 21, 2018 at 2:15 PM

I have three very small tattoos. Each is a 2.5 mm black India ink dot. There’s one is on each side, and one on my middle front. They are registration marks for.radiation therapy, so they could aim the beam at the correct part of my anatomy. I had planned on getting through life without getting inked, but it didn’t turn out that way. I guess I’ll have to live with them.😉

Roz August 21, 2018 at 2:40 PM

Silva ~ Thank You for sharing,…didn’t know about ink dots for registration of radiation therapy.

Hope You are done with therapy and are doing well,….:)

Silva August 21, 2018 at 4:49 PM

Yep. All treatments in the rear view. Early detection was my saving grace. Thanks, Roz. 🙂

Atticus Thraxx August 21, 2018 at 5:38 PM

Smiles!

Clayton Squirrel August 22, 2018 at 8:29 PM

I thought I didn’t have any tattoos, but Silva, you’re right! I also have three dots to help center my body for radiation to my chest! I will have to look to see if I can find them.

Publius August 21, 2018 at 2:21 PM

Have none and don’t want one.

BuuBuusFriend August 21, 2018 at 2:22 PM

Agree with Kentucky Derby – not for me at all but others are welcome to it, certainly it’s a trend that has really caught on. It’s a way of creating and living with art – and if it makes people happy, have at it! Piercing on the other hand has a much easier go of it if one decides they don’t want it any more – take the stud out and that’s it!

Wizard713 August 21, 2018 at 2:33 PM

I don’t, but I’ve bought several for my wife, over the last 10ish years. She’s not big on jewelry and it’s next to impossible to have a tattoo stolen. Mostly flora & fauna. Some are full color and so near photographic quality, it’s spooky. Her artist is stupid good at her craft, too.

Old lady with tatts August 21, 2018 at 2:51 PM

When I wake up and see my outstretched tattooed arms, I feel as magnificent as a painting in art gallery. If someone cant appreciate the beauty in that, then we probably wouldn’t be very good friends. That’s ok. We don’t all have to like the same things.

Chicken Little August 21, 2018 at 2:55 PM

I have had one for about 10 years. I love it because it has a deep personal meaning to me. It’s not important to me how others feel about it.

martinezmike August 21, 2018 at 3:39 PM

Ricardo Montalban had the best Tattoo

Tatoo August 21, 2018 at 9:21 PM

De plane, de plane!!!!!

Darwin August 21, 2018 at 4:11 PM

No idiot marks for me. Tattoos are way to trendy, kind of like Angel flight pants of the 1970s and Members only jackets of the 1980s. The only difference is you can’t take a tattoo off. In my opinion tattoos just cheapen ones appearance. You would be hard pressed to fine some incarcerated that doesn’t have a tattoo. I find them just cheap and lowlife. Not for me.

Joe Joe August 21, 2018 at 4:31 PM

Firefighters, doctors, nurses, police officers I know personally have tattoos. So your saying their lowlife?

Darwin August 21, 2018 at 6:07 PM

@ joe joe
Sorry still find them lowlife and cheap.

Chicken Little August 21, 2018 at 6:53 PM

You don’t need idiot marks because you’re readily identifiable without them.

Roz August 21, 2018 at 8:09 PM

Darwin August 21, 2018 at 11:29 PM

@ chicken little
Still fine them lowlife and cheap. Chicken little, Sorry you relate to low life and cheap.

LuckyLucy August 22, 2018 at 3:38 PM

Darwin probably has children and/or grandchildren with tattoos that they hide from him because he’s an angry old man. Can’t wait til he finds out so we can all laugh at the real idiot

Darwin August 22, 2018 at 6:59 PM

@ lucky Lucy
I have a 28 year old daughter that is an MD who has tattoos. Still find them lowlife and cheap. Not an angry old man, just refuse to be politically correct.

LuckyLucy August 22, 2018 at 9:22 PM

@ Darwin ohhh so your daughter is a cheap lowlife like the rest of us! Got it!

Darwin August 22, 2018 at 10:00 PM

@chicken little
Too bad you identify as lowlife and cheap, you should have better self esteem . My words were, “I find them lowlife and cheap.” However, that does not make you lowlife and cheap. 😝

THE ANIMAL August 21, 2018 at 4:12 PM

I have many, all thought out and personal to me. My back piece is my
favorite because it shows my life and experiences.

Clayton Black Glove August 21, 2018 at 4:51 PM

70 or 80 years we have this shell. If it makes someone happy to color thier skin, let it be. My shell is at its ending part of life before it decomposes. I have my soul which is much more

Chicken Little August 21, 2018 at 5:34 PM

Well said. Thank you.

Atticus Thraxx August 21, 2018 at 5:39 PM

Both my arms sleeved to the shoulder. But I was smart and got them done in invisible ink. Cost extra, but it was worth it. 😉

iKrissy August 21, 2018 at 6:02 PM

Ok for old service guys I get that but the seriously all out young moms and dad’s, Do they really want their kids looking like this?
I tell my kids ‘Be A Freak’ don’t get a tat!

Ancient Mariner August 21, 2018 at 6:17 PM

No tattoos, even though a mariner really should have an anchor on his arm to denote his connection to the sea.

Lambie August 21, 2018 at 6:45 PM

I wouldn’t want to wear the same sweater everyday, same goes for a tattoo.
I did get a henna tattoo last Friday, most likely it will only last a week 😉

Anon August 21, 2018 at 7:25 PM

I have too many to count because in some cases it’s hard to say where one stops and another begins. I love them all. Some have meaning and some don’t. Some I just like the design. I’ve have several covered with other designs. Some I’d like covered but have had them so long that it doesn’t matter anymore if they’re there. Your decision to get one is personal and should be without judgment, that goes for people who want them and those that don’t. It’s like having kids… some people want a lot of kids. Some just one. And some none. It’s what works for you.

honda bill August 21, 2018 at 7:59 PM

I have 2 tatoos. the first one is my wifes initials . we both got those done the week we were married up in Tahoe. the second was just done last month., it is a shamrock with a banner in it that has a message to my wife. under that is my nickname I used to call her. my wife passed away in may at 52 years old. I am really glad I got the second one, and black sea tatoos in walnut creek does great work.

Atticus Thraxx August 21, 2018 at 9:23 PM

That one pulled on the ol heart strings bill. Sweet way to keep her memory with you.

Citizen August 21, 2018 at 9:00 PM

I would never have tattoo and will never ever get one!
Reason: I wound get tired of it real quick!! So I know better to leave my skin
alone!!

AlwaysBePositive August 21, 2018 at 10:40 PM

2, love ’em because they are meaningful to me

Justifiable Languor August 22, 2018 at 7:59 AM

I worked with a woman that had porcelain skin. Three years later she drops by work in street clothes, in a backless top. When she turned around I saw this HUGE tatoo covering her back. So I had to ask, ***, do you know there is a tattoo on your back? She giggled and told me the story.

KIM August 22, 2018 at 10:57 AM

Have 8 – after 26 years don’t think about them

JustMe August 22, 2018 at 11:06 AM

Everyone I know seems to have one, but it’s not something I would be interesting in having

Kevin August 22, 2018 at 1:27 PM

Have always been interested in the idea of getting one, can’t seem to get a design nailed down. I had an idea when I was younger, never pulled the trigger and am glad. Still super interested, if I could find something meaningful/appealing.

Redstorm August 22, 2018 at 1:38 PM

I have 7…5 original and 2 more that were added into the originals. I got my first one when I was 50. Up until then, I never had anything important I wanted on my skin permanently. Each one holds a special meaning. I am a professional business owner and do not consider myself or my tattooed hubby “low life or cheap”. I am proud of the work. I honestly think they look better than other types of “work” people have done to themselves. Funny…I love tattoos but the thought of having plastic surgery scares me to death.

Twstlok August 22, 2018 at 5:25 PM

Well, I started out as a kid really disliking tats. When I was 15, my big sister (The original G.I. Jane) was home on leave. She and her husband (Blackhawk pilot who was shot down and killed and is sorely missed) got me drunk on Amaretto and took me out and got me a tat of Tweety Bird lifting weights. That was my fav cartoon character and I was big into weight lifting. They got it on my hip. The next morning, when I realized it wasn’t a nightmare, I was furious with them. As soon as I saw all the attention it got me with the girls in high school (1985) I all of a sudden LOVED it and would drop my drawers for anyone who requested to see it.
Fast forward many years and I got my initials on my arm. Met my awesome wife, who actually fell in love with a “tatted up” LOW LIFE police officer, and we got matching bands. Hers is on her ankle. I thought I was done as I never thought I would get anything “big” but then I was shot in the chest at work one night and a friend said “You need to go see Mush in Tahoe, tattoo artist of the movie stars…”
I then got a very large piece on my back that he helped me design in remembrance of that dark night that effected me and my whole family and my outlook on life. That was in 1994 and it still looks as incredibly bad ass and detailed as the day and night I got it. Took almost 7 hours and was extremely painful which just added to how much it means to me.
I have since added our 3 daughters’ names and my wife added our son’s name to her ankle. Just today I was discussing the tat my dad, another low life retired cop, is going to get get to commemorate his 80th bday this year.
I have loved reading Claycord for years and today was the first time I really felt the desire to chime in. Not everyone with tats are a low life. Many of my college professors had ink even back then! And not all who don’t have are prudes. It takes all different types to keep this big rock spinning. Thanks

Justifiable Languor August 23, 2018 at 7:26 AM

Enjoyed your story Twstlok. It does take all kinds. Oh, and thanks for sticking up for the “straight up”. Prudes are people too. Hahaha.

M August 22, 2018 at 9:54 PM

They’re means they are.
There can mean “over there”
Their is a possessive form like, “it’s their dog”.
Who am I speaking to? You know who you are.
😉

Duck August 23, 2018 at 12:05 AM

I have a total of 56 on my arms, legs, chest, neck, and back but my favorite are the two my little sis gave me when I was in the 9th grade.
I was a big Charles Manson fan when I was younger and my little sis was pretty handy with a shank and a razor blade. One day walking home from the bus stop we stopped and grabbed a few handfuls of red lava rock and crushed into a fine powder and added water to make an ink. Then my little sis carved and inked up a red swastika onto my forehead and a pair of red puckered lips on my backside with the words ” I Have Been ” right below the lips. I don’t regret any of them and I knew they would gain popularity once again.