Claycord – Talk About Whatever

August 17, 2018 19:12 pm · 104 comments

whatever

Happy Friday to all the wonderful citizens in the City of Claycord.

This is a post with no subject, you can talk about whatever you want. If breaking news happens (such a shooting, earthquake, etc.), or you hear about something newsworthy, feel free to post it here.

Please Note: Users who use multiple names will be deleted. Please choose a name so others can easily chat with you. Users must provide a name in the ‘name field’, please do not use the ‘@’ symbol in the name field.

Cowellian August 17, 2018 at 7:12 PM

Cowellian’s First

Dr Jellyfinger August 17, 2018 at 7:26 PM

The Queen of Soul and the King of Rock’n Roll both died on the same day…
That’a a goocher!

Silva August 19, 2018 at 1:49 PM

Crazy cosmic weirdness there….

Shasta Daisy August 17, 2018 at 7:27 PM

Check out SkyViewLite…Free in App Store.
Explore the Universe.

WOW!!!

Peace.

wave August 17, 2018 at 7:31 PM

Have a good weekend everyone….don’t eat at Sun Valley Mall !

Melissa August 17, 2018 at 7:36 PM

Fire outside of Martinez

Melissa August 17, 2018 at 7:40 PM

Fire west of Martinez

Anonymous August 17, 2018 at 7:46 PM

11st…have a lovely weekend everyone!

Cellophane August 17, 2018 at 7:46 PM

Sounds like a vegetation fire on hwy 4 and Alhambra has spread to a structure.

I hope CCFPD gets the fire under control.

Scanner reports water tenders in route.

Anonymous August 17, 2018 at 7:47 PM

1st.._….have a lovely weekend everyone!

SuperTuscan August 17, 2018 at 7:51 PM

First🥇

Cellophane August 17, 2018 at 7:55 PM

Command post set up a John Muir parking lot.

The smoke is blanketing the western sky.

S August 18, 2018 at 8:51 AM

🙂

From where I was,it was the S/E Sky that was filling with smoke. Took some decent pis of the smoke, couldn’t see flame from where I was…

Glad they got it knocked down quickly….

Strad August 17, 2018 at 7:55 PM

1st

Anon August 17, 2018 at 7:58 PM

Oh the irony…
All of these cities are broke and yet just driving around town you see expired registration on vehicles, 2016 stickers (LOL), paper plates on 20 year old vehicles and tinted windshields.

Totally Ridiculous. I pay to register and insure my vehicle while these sad sacks get to enjoy the roads WITHOUT PAYING!!!

Shoulda Coulda August 17, 2018 at 8:25 PM

Anon-
Besides not paying registration fees the paper
plate parasites don’t have to pay bridge tolls.

Lens August 17, 2018 at 8:46 PM

If they get ticketed, they just wait for the amnesty program and claim asylum. It’s the liberal way. Doubt they bother with insurance, either. And, if they hit someone they can just continue driving because, even if there are witnesses, they won’t get a license number. As good as gold. Sanctuary from all those annoying little laws that hold a society together and functioning without total chaos.

Atticus Thraxx August 17, 2018 at 9:03 PM

Want some cheese with that whine?

Lovelace August 17, 2018 at 9:05 PM

I heard The money from registration tickets goes to the state.
Its not profitable for city cops to write the ticket unless there is a moving violation so city cops don’t prioritize this.
I could be wrong . If you read this Mr retired LEO chime in

Lena August 17, 2018 at 9:46 PM

If some of us don’t have to obey the law, none of us should have to obey the law.

Anon August 17, 2018 at 10:37 PM

Atticus,
Please go away, or better yet – go and post your silly cat and tinkerbell videos.:(

Reality Bites August 18, 2018 at 8:48 AM

I’m not an LEO but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express.

This explains where the money goes and the state and courts (county & state) get the vast majority of the money. The base fee is the only portion local government receives and that is split between city and county. I’m still trying to find that percentage.

Chicken Little August 18, 2018 at 1:45 PM

Shoulda Coulda,
Most of those people running around with the paper plates probably didn’t even pay for their cars.

Cellophane August 17, 2018 at 8:10 PM

A fire burning near Highway 4 in Martinez is threatening structures and has prompted the closure of the highway as flames inch closer to traffic. Cal Fire says it is a 3-alarm fire with two parallel flanks burning.

ABC News

Dr. Jellyfinger August 17, 2018 at 8:56 PM

Uh uh! And then along came Jones
Tall, thin Jones
Slow-walkin’ Jones
Slow-talkin’ Jones
Along came long, lean, lanky Jones…..

Atticus Thraxx August 17, 2018 at 9:54 PM

Coasters. Nice pull Jelly.

Cellophane August 17, 2018 at 8:14 PM

ConFire, and supporting agencies, attacking a 30-acre, three-alarm vegetation fire in the vicinity of Alhambra Road on Hwy 4. Expect closures on Hwy 4 and vicinity. Please avoid the area.

Lorelei August 17, 2018 at 8:17 PM

Has anyone been to th observation deck of the Sales Force Tower? If so, how was it and how much? Did you have to wait in a long line, like for the Space Needle? Thanks.

Maria August 17, 2018 at 8:31 PM

Where is a good/cheap place to get a smog check in the clayton/concord area? thanks.

Mary Fouts August 18, 2018 at 3:34 PM

We’ve used Smog Dogs in Pleasant Hill at 1250 Contra Costa Blvd, sits behind Magoos Grill. Star Certified Station if you need it. Prompt test.
Very clean facility with water and snacks for customers, also friendly technicians. Coupon on website for $20 off and you’ll also get coupons in the mail for future smogs. Wouldn’t go anywhere else.

Chicken Little August 18, 2018 at 7:42 PM

Smog Dog is super expensive, even with a coupon. Pacheco Smog is also excellent, and much less expensive.

Phoenyx August 19, 2018 at 1:51 PM

Smog Star Express on Detroit is pretty good.

Annie August 17, 2018 at 8:40 PM

Texaco on corner Monument and Oak Grove

Dawg August 18, 2018 at 12:02 AM

There isn’t a Texaco on the corner of Monument and Oak Grove, the only gas station on that corner is a Union 76.

Annie August 17, 2018 at 8:44 PM

Texaco corner Monument and Oak Grove

Scoob August 17, 2018 at 9:04 PM

Please don’t litter!

Irene August 17, 2018 at 9:18 PM

Apparently we have skunks in our backyard. This morning we let the dogs out around 4:00 am and they came back in frothing at the mouth and stinking. We have lived here for years and never had a problem with them. So we bathed the dogs using peroxide, baking soda and Dawn dish soap. One smells better and the other one who got the worse of it still smells on her face. Now all I need to do is get the smell out of my house. Bought some spray to use on the furniture and carpet from Pet Food Express, airing out the house and placed bowls of vinegar in the rooms. Found a hole under one fence and filled it.

RS August 17, 2018 at 9:47 PM

Call mesquito vector control. They trap and remove skunks for free.
It’s a great service

Anonx August 18, 2018 at 12:44 AM

Their after fallen fruit! Apparently their not very good climbers or jumpers but can fit through a very small hole! Good luck. Your house will smell like burnt wet wood for about 3 months or so. The smell is nothing like what you smell when driving down the road. Very strong urine smell that takes your breath away! Don’t ask me how I know.☹️

Mary Fouts August 18, 2018 at 3:45 PM

Hi Irene. I live in PH, lots of skunks around, including young ones that were born this spring. My dogs typically don’t go out after dark; they’ve been skunked before!. If they absolutely have to do their business, they go on a slip leash. Skunks will be in garden areas, or lawn areas that have grubs. Dogs usually get a full face skunking while chasing the skunk.

Skunks actually play a positive roll, as they eat rats, mice, grubs, insects, and ground wasps and their nests. So I don’t mind having them around to help with the outdoor rat and mice problem.

Try applying some tomato juice or sauce to your dogs’ facial areas, let it sit for 10 or more minutes, then rinse it off. Repeat as needed.
Applying with a plastic condiment/ketchup squirt bottle helps get closer to the eye area. The citric acid will help with the skunk smell.

Lena August 17, 2018 at 9:34 PM

We have always had them in Clayton dating back to 1958. Had them on Concord Blvd, Concord, dating back to 1949. Sweet, adorable little trundlers but, if charged by your dog, watch out!

Justifiable Languor August 18, 2018 at 8:23 AM

We had a regular visitor a year ago. You could smell him as he walked through our yard. We tried filling in his holes, but they are little diggers.

So, we grew fond of him. He dropped by at night, We saw it a few times early in the morning. Stinky. We imagined he was a bit nervous with his perfume.

Lena August 18, 2018 at 3:24 PM

They are very cute to watch. Especially if you get a couple of playful youngsters along with a mom. Even the older ones are very entertaining, but they do tend to be one of the more elusive visitors. This time of year I believe they may be scavenging and looking fir water.

KAD August 17, 2018 at 10:11 PM

I have never seen one but I have smelled them outside the house so I know they are around.

Lena August 18, 2018 at 3:30 PM

They were certainly gifted with a most unusual way to defend themselves.

Silva August 18, 2018 at 8:36 AM

I feel like the cat who ate the canary. Due to my exemplary self-discipline I have the past 2 weeks of Atticus Thraxx’s marvelous compilations to be entertained with! Woo hoo!!! Set.

Annie August 18, 2018 at 8:47 AM

Thanks, for correction it is a Union station. Don’t know what I was thinking I go there. They’re fast too.

Antler August 19, 2018 at 8:03 AM

And they have a Full Serve lane!
But Sebastian (my favorite since Carlos left) no longer works there. [My guess is that a higher-paying station sometimes lures away the most skilled and most personable mechanics.]

Silva August 19, 2018 at 4:20 PM

Yay! Antler, are they worth going back to again? We talked about it when they were under new management 2 or 3 (??) years ago, and my car hasn’t had a massage since then. I’d thought I’d try Clayton Auto Service at 4746 Clayton Road before it’s too late, but I haven’t yet.

Paranoid pablito August 18, 2018 at 8:57 AM

Is anyone else finding it necessary to give a honk on the horn to the inconsiderate driver in front of them clearly on their cell phone in order to make the green light? Daily now? Like, all the time? Or is it just me?

Chicken Little August 18, 2018 at 1:42 PM

Oddly enough, I’ve had to do that three times in the last two days. But I can’t even remember the last time I had to before that.

Lambie August 18, 2018 at 9:48 PM

There were 3 cars across in front of me today. The light turned green and none of them moved, so I beeped. Pathetic.

Bob August 18, 2018 at 9:56 PM

More days than not. Very often it’s the same guy at multiple lights.

BuuBuusFriend August 22, 2018 at 12:51 PM

Is no-one being ticketed for cell phone use when driving? Is that not a thing anymore? Or just so prevalent the scoff-laws are having at it?

Atticus Thraxx August 18, 2018 at 8:57 AM

Made me smile. You get a bonus link:
Trick or teat: https://i.imgur.com/Jc36g1P.gifv

Ricardoh August 18, 2018 at 10:14 AM

Much much better than your political opinions.

foothillsguy August 18, 2018 at 12:02 PM

Only one this week ?

Atticus Thraxx August 18, 2018 at 11:06 PM

If it’s any consolation Richardoh, I’m sure I’d find your politics equally repellent had I paid attention.

Kinsey Leakey August 18, 2018 at 9:22 AM

We don’t put up with skunks, I see them on our property I shoot em (and you gotta shoot em carefully with a head shot instant death so they don’t spray), bag em up and dump em.
Once when our dog killed one of them getting sprayed in the process I decided to join in and wait for the rest of them to come out from under the deck and 4 more taken care of.
Have since sealed up the property lines to the back area and they haven’t returned. Had a few neighbors asking for my services to rid their skunk problems as well.
They are cute, but even cuter dead.

Atticus Thraxx August 18, 2018 at 9:29 AM

Whoever is responsible for these scheduled Dumpster days in Dana Estates, thank you. Great program. Smart move.

Mary Fous August 18, 2018 at 9:29 PM

Good idea, but people must take personal responsibility, and not rely on others to do it for them. Not sure if you are talking about debris box or dumpster rentals. Big difference. Neither is free, so the money is coming from somewhere to pay for them. My husband and I recently rented a 20 cu yard debris box (16 feet long, 7 feet wide, 5 feet high) to clean out our garage/attic, side shed, and side yard. We filled ‘er up in 3 days, just the 2 of us working. Cost for the delivery, rental, and pickup was $486.00 or so. Disposal fees will be $100 plus. Got rid of many heavy items, including very heavy old table tools that didn’t work. Those would not have been able to have been place into a dumpster.

If the Dana Estates trash removal are truly dumpsters, they will be smaller, and only have a top opening, not a barn gate opening to get larger pieces in.

People complain about trash and having stuff to take to the dump.
There are lots of ways to have trash picked up, including debris box rentals, or calling junk removal businesses. In my neighborhood, I see junk piles, including those piled in non working pickup trucks. Sad for Pleasant Hill.

Atticus Thraxx August 18, 2018 at 11:03 PM

Not sure I needed a lecture on personal responsibility, clearly you did. As to what is and what isn’t a Dumpster, that distinction isn’t relevant to me. As far as payment, judging by the amount of the taxes I pay it’s the least they could do. And since the least they can do seems to be the mission statement I thought I’d show a little gratitude. We clear?

KAD August 18, 2018 at 11:24 PM

Mary Fous – Not everyone has the money to do what you and your husband did.

Anon-2-U August 21, 2018 at 9:09 AM

They had one at Newhall Park last summer/fall, and we’re in the surrounding neighborhood, and had NO IDEA, as it wasn’t posted on Claycord, nor were flyers dispensed in the area. Could have been useful to get rid of some things no longer needed around here.

Silva August 18, 2018 at 4:50 PM

Anything burning around Silverwood? It sure is smokey! GAK

Fact Checker August 18, 2018 at 10:34 PM

Silva, it’s just the smoke from the fires up north. Today was a Spare the Air day. Sunday will be, too.

Silva August 19, 2018 at 6:39 AM

Fact Checker, yesterday looking across the street was like looking at the mountain has been for a couple of weeks. Thank you.

Silva August 19, 2018 at 1:36 PM

Whoa, what mountain?

jtkatec August 18, 2018 at 6:32 PM

Atticus???
Atticus?
Where’s my links? You can’t imagine how I live for Friday and your links…..

Atticus Thraxx August 18, 2018 at 10:50 PM

You’ll have to speak to the Mayor, I did my part. I may have violated the standards he has set here on this board.

KAD August 19, 2018 at 12:11 AM

Let’s hope this gets cleared up soon. We are all waiting. It brings us joy.

Silva August 19, 2018 at 6:32 AM

I was wondering if someone’s knickers became twisted beyond restoration or their diaphanous faith had fractured and burst.

Atticus Thraxx August 19, 2018 at 11:42 AM

Thanks guys. I’ve been under some…let’s just say stress lately and have not always conducted myself appropriately as a guest here. And I’m exactly that, a guest. When I’m provoked real or imagined my instinct is to attack. I know better as an adult but sometimes slip. I will be more circumspect in the future. Until I’m not. 🙂

Silva August 19, 2018 at 3:13 PM

🙏

WC Resident August 19, 2018 at 5:35 PM

@Atticus Thraxx – It’s possible your post was caught by the spam filter. A while back one of my posts did not show up. I e-mailed news at claycord.com and learned it had landed in a purgatory as there were too many links or something like that. The masters of Claycord’s dungeon were able to fish it out and to approve the thing.

It’s also possible the masters have taken the weekend off, or can’t see their screens due to the smoke, as very few posts are getting through today.

Justyfiable Languor August 20, 2018 at 8:16 AM

WC Resident: Some one actually responded to you? Hmmmmm.

Atticus Thraxx August 20, 2018 at 9:57 AM

Sry, forgot to respond WC. It posted briefly and was taken down. Pretty sure I know why. My fault.

Silva August 19, 2018 at 4:27 PM

Unnamed pet rat (A0920709) ADOPTABLE NEUTERED MALE CHAMPAGNE RAT! I’ve never heard of anyone neutering a rat before. Someone should name him. It couldn’t hurt.

KAD August 19, 2018 at 6:30 PM

Maybe a good name would be Blondie. Did you read the description? May need training? Training for what? How do you train a rat? I had a pet rat (not my choice – kids). Joey was his name and he loved me so much. The problem with pet rats is they do not live long enough.

Silva August 19, 2018 at 7:32 PM

Special training or medical care!?!?! They do live short lives. Blondie’s is about 1/2 done I think. They once had a rat at the Pet Club who was a wet nurse for wee baby rats and mice. She could easily have 15 temporary charges and she knew all of them from the moment they were introduced. She knew when she’d been distracted with a treat and one was removed from her care, and would go looking all around the cage for it. I don’t supposed she was trained, just a natural mom.

Atticus Thraxx August 19, 2018 at 8:43 PM

I remember reading about training rats to find landmines in Cambodia. Worked better then dogs or humans. At least according to that article.

Rich August 19, 2018 at 4:43 PM

Why is the Clayton Valley Charter High School using a bank that’s not in the Diablo Valley instead they are using Hanmi Bank…

Atticus Thraxx August 19, 2018 at 8:45 PM

I keep forgetting Anthony Bourdain is dead and getting bummed out.

Silva August 20, 2018 at 7:58 AM

Sadness is the worst. I hope you have a good day, Atticus Thraxx.

Atticus Thraxx August 20, 2018 at 9:47 AM

Thanks. You too dear Silva!

Kentucky Derby August 20, 2018 at 2:52 PM

A friend of mine is overly analytical. His wife doesn’t know what to do. I don’t know what to tell her. I did tell her I’m very supportive of all my friends, and it’s healthier to let people be themselves. She agreed.

Justifiable Languor August 20, 2018 at 4:29 PM

Poor thing. Is it a list or just too many facts crammed into a sentence. My rule is, humor is a good coping mechanism. Also, any diatribe over a couple of minutes is a lecture. Not that any of that will help.

Kentucky Derby August 20, 2018 at 5:21 PM

She does conquer it with humor. So do I. I grew up with him, so I’m used to it. The good news is he’s well aware of it, and he’s thankful that people accept him for who he is. We all have our flaws. Have a good day…

Frustrated August 21, 2018 at 9:13 PM

We have not had water at our house since this morning. Workers have been on our street all day and are still here. We live on Torino Ct near Treat and Navaronne

Original G August 21, 2018 at 9:30 PM

Picked up a few Bird-X Yard Gard Ultrasonic Repeller units to keep tomatoes from becoming a salad bar for critters. Use them with included power supply on continuous setting for best results. Keeping raccoons and skunks away.
Nice side benefit, neighbor’s small yappy mutt is quieter.

Stop look and listen August 23, 2018 at 11:25 AM

Thanx for tip. Neighbors say their dog has a bark collar, maybe this will help.

Atticus Thraxx August 22, 2018 at 6:44 PM

Man, all this cold weather. Anything less than 80 degs and I’m shivering. How does that happen.

woody August 23, 2018 at 8:45 AM

Where did the “search” go?

Hope Johnson August 23, 2018 at 10:17 AM

Yesterday a Concord police officer told several of us there was a murder at the Terminal Shopping Center last night. Anyone hear anything about this?

CLAYCORD.com August 23, 2018 at 10:31 AM

A body was found behind the center on Main Ave. It’s unknown if the person was murdered.

Stop look and listen August 23, 2018 at 11:32 AM

Last night about 11:30 one of those loud blast things with light was set off. It was around ygnacio, same area where one was set of a couple of years ago. And everyone that heard it from past sloats to state streets thought it was set off on their street. Cops went around looking. Did they find anything? Surprised no one commented on this.

CLAYCORD.com August 23, 2018 at 11:34 AM

We did get a few emails. It appears to have been fireworks/m-1000s.

Kirkwood August 23, 2018 at 12:00 PM

I also heard a boom some distance away, about that time and another a couple of minutes later. I am near Concord Blvd and Kirker Pass.

Atticus Thraxx August 23, 2018 at 8:34 PM

You got your Atetha, you got your Gladys Knight, and your Roberta Flack and the undeniable Whitney Houston. Icons one and all. But drop me on a island with only one soul singing sister’s music and I go Dionne Warwick. Her voice is so powerful yet smooth like a great scotch and pitch perfect no matter the complexity of the song. Here’s a 1964 shoot on a Paris rooftop with her doing ‘Walk on By’
God touched.

Silva August 24, 2018 at 6:47 AM

Amen!

Jojo Potato August 24, 2018 at 11:51 AM

Follow up on last weeks turkey story. This morning the mom turkey was out front and when she got up four babies were revealed. They were all later spotted pecking away in the yard. I wonder what the mom thinks. One week from 10 to 4. Pretty tough odds, but maybe that’s more normal for that species. I’ll keep watching.

Lena August 24, 2018 at 2:45 PM

We had Quail that were prolific for many years. One year I counted twenty-two youngsters tumbling along behind the female. But, they had to be because when all was said and done only three or four survived the cats in the neighborhood. I guess they have moved on now. I haven’t seen them since new people moved in next door with a very proficient mouser who also likes birds.

Justifiable Languor August 24, 2018 at 5:09 PM

Murderers!

That said. Quail make me laugh. Their little legs move so fast.

KAD August 24, 2018 at 6:06 PM