CHP: Suspected DUI Driver Arrested After Going 109-MPH On Hwy.24

August 16, 2018 10:00 am · 41 comments

A man was arrested for DUI after the CHP caught him going 109-mph on Hwy.24 in Contra Costa County late last night.

The suspect’s name wasn’t released.

Stove August 16, 2018 at 10:07 AM

I hope he also got a charge of wreckless driving as well for going over 100mph.

Silva August 16, 2018 at 10:50 AM

I don’t see where it says he had a wreck, so probably not.

Cowellian August 16, 2018 at 10:52 AM

Thank goodness he was wreckless!
Can you imagine the damage if he’d wrecked doing 109?

Brave Sir Robin August 16, 2018 at 11:54 AM

Why would you be charged for not having a wreck? lol

George August 16, 2018 at 1:32 PM

He should also get charged for reckless driving because he was well over the 30 miles an hour above the speed limit.

Concord resident August 16, 2018 at 6:13 PM

Who’s on first?

Muppet August 17, 2018 at 9:05 AM

@concordresident LOL I love it

The Professor August 16, 2018 at 10:10 AM

He should have driven faster…

Alvin August 16, 2018 at 10:15 AM

What the hell?! Thank God he didn’t kill anyone. Great job CHP!

BoboHead August 16, 2018 at 10:16 AM

At that point, you know you’re going to jail. Might as well have asked for a selfie with the radar gun! That would have been a keeper.

alvin August 16, 2018 at 10:19 AM

Wow! Thank God he didn’t kill anyone. Could’ve been a statistic just like the two this past weekend.

G. August 16, 2018 at 3:24 PM

No, those are called people. And they had names.

RunnerDope August 16, 2018 at 10:21 AM

Trying to get home quick before he gets caught. Makes sense.

WC August 16, 2018 at 10:30 AM

Glad they caught him before he killed someone.

PO'd August 16, 2018 at 10:35 AM

Drunk +109 MPH=Throw the book at him. Of course,after losing his license,he’ll still be driving.
Gotta have your head on a swivel if you expect to survive on the Bay Area freeways.

Doh August 16, 2018 at 10:42 AM

Too many people think all there is to know about driving is gas, brakes and steering. For instance one of the letters among a bunch of letters and numbers indicates the highest speed your tire is rated. Last time I checked it mine was a Q indicating 99 MPH was the maximum speed that tire is rated to do safely. Go over that speed and the tire could fail; i.e. fall apart.

There is also the suspension, steering components, road conditions. driver training, etc. The kid is lucky to be alive.

Dawg August 16, 2018 at 12:54 PM

The tires on my Corvette are rated ZR which means they are rated for speeds above 189 mph, which is ridiculous because even though the car can go faster doesn’t mean I intend to drive it that fast.
When I had to buy new tires for the car I found out the law required the ZR rating and they couldn’t legally install a lower rated tire.

Doh August 16, 2018 at 6:40 PM

Perhaps we could get a professional race car driver or Hollywood stunt co-coordinator to write an essay for young drivers to read before they drive. It would inform them of the extra safety equipment in their cars and the excruciating planning that takes place before a car chase is filmed.

If I could I’d produce it as a movie to hold their attention.

Concerned Citizen August 16, 2018 at 10:47 AM

One down…a multitude to go…

ON DA August 16, 2018 at 11:35 AM

**hole !!!

Total wreck less buffoon wait until my Judge finds out

ON DA August 16, 2018 at 11:37 AM

You think you’re immune to prosecution guiding your little toy ZIP HEAD !!

Jeff August 16, 2018 at 12:22 PM

I’ve driven faster on the freeway.

Kinsey Leakey August 16, 2018 at 12:27 PM

He hasn’t been convicted of anything yet.
I’ve seen quite a few people where DUI arrest didn’t pan out to anything more than a fine with no jail time or even suspension of DL..
Most walk within an hour even in the middle of the night, but some do get the book thrown at em, but only a 3rd time or more offender and sometimes not even then.
I know one person that’s had 4 DUI arrests, ankle monitor and a breath analyzer hooked to ignition yet still driving never once having DL yanked or ANY jail time.
The DUI arrest doesn’t mean a Dang thing half the time.

Neighbor August 17, 2018 at 3:47 PM

It will mean a lot to his insurance company. Alot.

king Donk August 16, 2018 at 2:34 PM

hang your head in shame boy!!!

One who knows August 16, 2018 at 3:10 PM

Wow – that radar gun tagged that speeder at 12,292 feet out. That’s over two miles!

Ripley August 16, 2018 at 7:06 PM

That’s Lidar way more accurate then radar I believe.

Speedracer August 16, 2018 at 4:04 PM

I regularly drive this speed while texting and usually eating. If you’re scared please attend church. Church

Pedal to the metal August 16, 2018 at 4:21 PM

He should also play the lottery as it is his lucky day.

Atticus Thraxx August 16, 2018 at 4:54 PM

Dang, that’s cooking along. I seem to remember some kid or kids getting cited for 150mph+ on those organ donor bikes a few years ago. Can’t find it now. Did find this though:

(b) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed
greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction
punishable, as follows:
(1) Upon a first conviction of a violation of this subdivision, by
a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The court may
also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle
for a period not to exceed 30 days pursuant to Section 13200.5.
(2) Upon a conviction under this subdivision of an offense that
occurred within three years of a prior offense resulting in a
conviction of an offense under this subdivision, by a fine of not to
exceed seven hundred fifty dollars ($750). The person’s privilege to
operate a motor vehicle shall be suspended by the Department of
Motor Vehicles pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 13355.
(3) Upon a conviction under this subdivision of an offense that
occurred within five years of two or more prior offenses resulting in
convictions of offenses under this subdivision, by a fine of not to
exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000). The person’s privilege to
operate a motor vehicle shall be suspended by the Department of Motor

Jeff August 17, 2018 at 12:17 PM

I’ve driven faster than 100 on the freeway many times…..of course my vehicle was painted black and white.

MY2cents August 19, 2018 at 8:01 AM

FYI… You don’t have to wreck for it to be considered wreckless driving…

Dr. Jellyfinger August 19, 2018 at 9:19 AM

I think the point here is “wreckless” vs “reckless”….
as in complete disregard for safety or as in did not actually wreck the vehicle (crash).

Cowellian August 19, 2018 at 10:17 AM

If you wreck it, it’s not wreckless!

Cartman August 16, 2018 at 6:03 PM

BOIL HIM !!!

Dr. Jellyfinger August 16, 2018 at 6:56 PM

I’d have to be under the influence to drive that fast.

Original G August 16, 2018 at 7:13 PM

Saw bumper sticker last week,
But officer the Russians influenced my speedometer

Cole Trickle August 16, 2018 at 11:23 PM

Obviously not fast enough.

just1dering August 17, 2018 at 10:34 AM

Coming out of the tunnel heading east is into Orinda is quite a down slope. I’ve caught myself doing 90 and was in no hurry. So 109 drunk is easy to imagine,not safe, but easy to see he could go that fast w/o knowing.
He should be taken off the streets for DUI alone.

Cowellian August 20, 2018 at 12:04 PM

I just read a story about a guy in North Carolina who took a video of himself driving his Hellcat Challenger at 198 mph. He probably would have gotten away with it, except he then posted the video on Youtube and someone alerted the cops.

Silva August 20, 2018 at 12:21 PM

Well, there you go! Kudos to the people who got him of the streets a while… hopefully.