PG&E Reminds Residents To Call 811 Before You Dig

August 10, 2018 16:00 pm · 9 comments

National 8-1-1 Day is Saturday, Aug. 11.

Put safety first by calling 8-1-1 before starting any digging project to have all underground lines marked.

811 can help avoid disruption to service, damage to the lines and even injury.

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Dorothy August 10, 2018 at 4:14 PM

If you are lucky you will eventually be give a number to call here in NoCal. I called 811 with a digging question earlier this year and SoCal answered. They gave me a number to NoCal. That number gave me another one. Never did get my question answered. All I wanted to know was how far down or how far away from a PG&E ground master box could I dig for a fence. Since I still don’t know, the fence will go where I can make it fit.

Anon August 10, 2018 at 7:41 PM

I wouldn’t risk it. If you hire laborers from Home Depot and they damage a line – you’re responsible.

Don’t call and ask questions there’s a million scenarios, Call to get your Utilities located & marked.

KAD August 10, 2018 at 4:31 PM

There is an online system where you can fill out a form. Last time I called, they told me to put white paint around the area where I was going to dig. I used flour.

Atticus Thraxx August 10, 2018 at 6:31 PM

Why they telling me? They’ve blown up alot more people than I have.

Roz August 10, 2018 at 7:38 PM

HA!

Lena August 10, 2018 at 6:56 PM

I called them once and they gave me instructions to mark the area where I wanted to plant with white paint, and gave me a time frame for when they would come out and mark it he lines. Asked if I would be using a backhoe. They were out the next day or so. They sent out Sewer, PGE, and Water who marked their lines with flags which ran diagonally across the area I wanted to plant. As a result, I had to change the locations of some stuff and reconsider planting it too densly in the event it had to be dug up later for some reason. I never did find out how deep I could go, but I stayed as far as I could from their lines. All in all it was helpful because I had planned something much different that would have created problems for me later.

Roz August 10, 2018 at 7:42 PM

We had it all checked out years ago, and there is no worriers where all the lines run. Better safe than sorry.

Tsa August 10, 2018 at 7:57 PM

But why? I thought Californians just do whatever whenever…

Marianne August 11, 2018 at 1:39 PM

Yep. Call before you dig, learned this the hard way when planting my garden.