Spare The Air Alert Issued For Second Straight Day In The Bay Area Due To Wildfire Smoke

August 9, 2018 8:00 am · 20 comments

For the second straight day and the sixth time this year, a Spare the Air alert has been declared for today in the Bay Area because of ongoing air pollution issues related to wildfire smoke and smog from vehicles.

The Bay Area Air Quality Management District issued the alert because of unhealthy levels of smoke and smog, otherwise known as ozone, that can cause breathing issues and other health problems.

The air district encourages people on Spare the Air days to only exercise outdoors in the early morning hours when ozone levels are lower, and to stay inside if possible with windows and doors closed until pollution
levels subside.

Increased onshore winds are expected to improve air quality conditions starting Friday and through the weekend, according to the air district.

Smoke has drifted into the Bay Area from wildfires further north, including the Mendocino Complex Fire that has burned more than 300,000 acres, making it the largest fire in California history.

People can find out when a Spare the Air alert is in effect by registering for email alerts at www.sparetheair.org, calling (800) HELP-AIR, downloading the Spare the Air smartphone app or connecting with Spare the Air on social media.

The Mamba August 9, 2018 at 8:04 AM

I think I made this happen, I was driving home yesterday and noting the smoke and thought to myself, “I wonder why we aren’t hearing more from Captain Obvious and the Spare the Air gang about not lighting wildfires?” This has to be as bad as last year, when everyone was rushing out and buying respirators, but seems to be much less hype.

BAAQMD Hater August 9, 2018 at 9:49 AM

Broadbent you aren’t the boss of me. I will burn whatever I want. Planning on burning some green wood and tires in the backyard this afternoon.

Paranoid pablito August 9, 2018 at 10:09 AM

This is like banning urinating in the sea because it contributes to rising ocean levels.

PogueMehone August 9, 2018 at 10:39 AM

Surprised that they’re even bothering, considering that there’s no chance of getting extra revenue for PG&E for this one.

TJ August 9, 2018 at 10:51 AM

WOW – just a bunch of negativity on here these days from these posters….. everything that gets posted on this site elicits negative replies from some of you. Is it really necessary? Unbelievable.

Glad I’m not you…what a miserable way to live.

Kenny August 9, 2018 at 2:51 PM

I was just thinking the same thing. Seems to have gotten considerably worse over the years.

BAAQMD Hater August 10, 2018 at 2:32 PM

Kenny,

If you think this is bad you shoudl have been here in the early days. There was no censoring. It was crazy, but in all ahonesty fun in a way.

It finally got to be too much of a problem and the mayor had to take action and hit the brakes a bit.

Lena August 10, 2018 at 3:42 PM

TJ, It’s pretty much the height of negativity to point out to someone that they are being negative.

concord grape August 9, 2018 at 11:14 AM

TJ, AGREE 100%

anon August 9, 2018 at 11:51 AM

I agree too! What a way to go about life!

Kirkwood August 10, 2018 at 12:42 PM

I think that some of it is just testosterone leakage.

WC August 9, 2018 at 11:44 AM

California Wildfires Emitted a Year’s Worth of Car Pollution in Less Than a Week. Jerry Brown, who is having a spazz attack about the EPA lowering mileage standards, vetoed a bipartisan wildfire management bill in 2016. But don’t you dare use your fireplace on Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year’s Eve.

1st Amendment Chris August 9, 2018 at 2:41 PM

I think that people should be able to speak their minds whether it be positive or negative. Sorry it hurts your poor little feelings…. grow up!!! I am 30 years old and have never been so disappointed in the way some of the people in this country act now a days….

Kinsey Leaky August 9, 2018 at 10:20 PM

High 5 to Chris…
BTW they are called snowflakes and they have a crying room with coloring books and hot cocoa.

Hanne Jeppesen August 9, 2018 at 11:01 PM

TJ never mentioned anything about preventing you from speaking your mind, nor did he or she say anything about hurt feelings. You are reading meaning into the comments, which are not there. Might have to do with your negative attitude. All TJ comments said was she has a more positive outlook on people and comments, I happen to agree with her, it is always better to see the glass half full rather than half empty,

You are free to speak your mind as you see fit, who is stopping you?

Hanne Jeppesen August 9, 2018 at 10:51 PM

TJ didn’t say anything about not speaking their minds, nor did she say it hurt her feelings. 1st amendment Chris you got that wrong you are presuming thinks she or he did not mentioned. She just said she has a more positive outlook on situations and people. I agree with her, it is always better to see the glass half full, rather than half empty. Does not mean you cannot speak your mind, neither I nor TJ are suggesting that you keep quiet.

Hanne Jeppesen August 9, 2018 at 10:56 PM

1 st amendment Chris, TJ never mentioned anything about hurt feelings or preventing someone from commenting. She merely said she has a more positive outlook on things and people. I happen to agree with her or he, it is always better to see the glass half full, rather than half empty. I think your negative attitude make you assume too much. No one is stopping you from commenting or speaking your mind, no matter how negative.

Lena August 10, 2018 at 4:49 AM

Hanne Jepperson, You only need to push the “Submit” button once … especially when you’re mad.

Rollo Tomasi August 10, 2018 at 7:49 AM

After posting it three times I’m guessing everyone understands your position.

JG27 AD August 10, 2018 at 6:58 AM

Driving across the country this past week and I can tell you that the smoke is visible up to and in the Rockies. We didn’t see a blue sky until we got to Kansas !!!

AD