DMV Director Asks For More Money To Decrease Wait Times, But Resists Audit

August 9, 2018 14:00 pm · 41 comments

Palermo August 9, 2018 at 2:08 PM

Why, what are they trying to hide? More sleeping workers?

Simonpure August 9, 2018 at 2:34 PM

Exactly! When you have 10 windows, 100 people and only three windows open…that’s a problem.

my oh my August 9, 2018 at 2:56 PM

Agree.

If any other business ran like this they would be out of business.

Law Dog August 9, 2018 at 2:10 PM

George August 9, 2018 at 2:17 PM

The director shouldn’t have a say in the audit.

AJM August 9, 2018 at 2:50 PM

I have just returned after spending 5 1/2 hrs at DMV. Got there at 8 am and my number was called at 1 pm. There are I believe 18 windows but usually only quarter of them open at one time. The woman behind the counters keep closing their windows to go on breaks. Absolutely ridiculous. They don’t need more money, they need better workers.

Oh, please August 9, 2018 at 6:24 PM

Well, affirmative action- in action!

Jeff August 9, 2018 at 10:08 PM

I spent 8 1/2 hours at Walnut Creek dmv a couple Friday’s ago. It’s disgraceful

Rob August 9, 2018 at 2:52 PM

I don’t know how this all works with the State Gov’t and DMV…

Sure she can resist an audit – heck – anyone can resist anything…

But in the end – why hasn’t the Elected Officials forced the audit and told her to get with the program or be fired.

whatever August 9, 2018 at 2:58 PM

So the vote to authorize an audit failed because a handful of democrats wouldn’t vote for it. What’s their reasoning for that? I would love to attend a town hall and ask one of those dems directly. How is an audit of a government program ever not a great thing?

Hmmm.. I have my theories.

Moonbeam says he has it under control, which means he’s grabbing handfuls of money to throw at it and hope we forget about waiting 3 months for an appointment you have to wait 3 hours for once you’re there.

Karla August 9, 2018 at 3:06 PM

The DMV has been given money since 2005 to prepare for Real I’D. Since then they furloughed employees, implemented AB60 and Residency requirements. They have done nothing to prepare for this moment. The equipment is crap, a lot more employees needs to be hired and TRAINED. If they would of hired trained and gotten proper equipment starting in 2005 we all wouldn’t be here. Huge government waist in action. An audit is to little to late.

NoMoreFreeRide August 9, 2018 at 3:22 PM

They found the money and extra people to give all the illegals a drivers license.

Oh, please August 9, 2018 at 6:27 PM

Yep- that is called buying votes.

Cellophane August 9, 2018 at 3:08 PM

Sounds to me like they need a new Director and an audit.

Fire the workers who don’t work and give a raise to the people who do work.

My goodness, what a concept.

Ricardoh August 9, 2018 at 3:09 PM

Privatize the DMV. The government never gets it right.

Fred August 9, 2018 at 3:12 PM

How is the wait for those who make appointments?

HonestLandlord August 9, 2018 at 3:30 PM

last time I went to the DMV with an appointment, I was in and out in 30 minutes

B August 9, 2018 at 7:41 PM

I renewed my license with the new Real ID thing at the end of July. I had an appointment and was done in 20 minutes.

Reality says... August 9, 2018 at 3:13 PM

I’ve said it before, most these gov’ment jobs are a form of working welfare hiding under the disguise of a “service” being provided. IMO, ALL government jobs should be subject to annual/bi-annual productivity assessments. The Director doesn’t want an audit…that should be a huge sign something is not right in these offices or general operations. But do we really need an assessment/audit to tell us the problem behind the windows and the mgmt team are the problem?

The Mamba August 9, 2018 at 3:19 PM

Throwing money alone after a problem in government almost never leads to a solution, you need to slow down and make real, significant changes. And that will never happen.

Whatever August 9, 2018 at 3:26 PM

..and the AAA membership to complete many DMV related transactions at the AAA office is probably singlehandedly keeping AAA solvent.

Here we are, already at a tiered system. People who can afford an AAA membership get better treatment than the people that can’t. I’m HAPPY to pay my AAA membership each year, just for that DMV perk alone.

Unfortunately, AAA doesn’t do Real IDs. I made an appointment earlier this week for my Real ID, first available is October 15.

Fred P. August 9, 2018 at 3:48 PM

“Resisting” an audit? Then they’re hiding something.

The DMV is “supposed” to work for the residents of California.

Time for an independent auditor to go in there and turn the place upside own.

If they “resist”, then start firing them….. from the top down.

Foonman August 9, 2018 at 4:03 PM

The last thing any American wants to hear is, “Hello I’m from the government and I’m here to help”.
Ronald Reagan

Missfits August 9, 2018 at 4:18 PM

Um yea, of course they are resisting audits. EVERYONE knows when you go to DMV we wait forever while 2 people work and the others commiserate in the back or at others’ desks. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. So..

Tsa August 9, 2018 at 4:47 PM

An operational audit is done to find out what works, what doesn’t and what can be done to improve the processes. This moron is absolutely in the wrong job. Fire him immediately and find someone who cares. This will be a tough task nowadays…

Pony August 9, 2018 at 5:35 PM

They could use an operational audit to help with staffing and ways to improve process. They could use a financial audit to see where all the money is going. I can see them fighting both. The employees would have to step up with would hurt moral and the financial might just show there is a lot of money that can’t be accounted for

Me August 9, 2018 at 5:53 PM

I was at the DMV a couple of months ago and couldn’t believe how slow the employees moved. It was as if they were trained to ignore the mass amount of people waiting. There is absolutely no sense of urgency.

Kelly anne August 9, 2018 at 7:00 PM

More money? For what?

Original G August 9, 2018 at 8:20 PM

DMV needs to be taken out of the hands of unaccountable bureaucrats and privatized, as has been successfully done in other states.

Citizen August 9, 2018 at 8:34 PM

DMV needs to be audited! They need a new Sheriff in their town!
I cannot believe how they are not accountable to us? They have too much authority! Today I passed the Walnut Creek DMV office! It was 100 degrees at about 12:00pm! The line was long and they had to stand in that line with that hot weather!

ZZ August 9, 2018 at 9:05 PM

Oh, don’t worry, uncle Jerry is taking care of it. He’ll impose another tax on us to pay for this. Don’t be so upset.

not right! August 9, 2018 at 9:26 PM

throwing money at the problem is not the problem she is and she needs to be replaced and President Trump needs to step in and revamp the DMV like the Veterans Hospital situation. Hire all new employees they act like they don’t care about coz your just a number.

WC August 9, 2018 at 9:30 PM

Here’s one reason why they don’t want an audit. They don’t wait in line, they have their own little secret DMV office in the Capitol.

HashtagMe August 9, 2018 at 10:56 PM

I made an appointment today for RealID in November. I’ve seen waits at Kaiser that are just as long to get an appointment.

Regular Guy August 9, 2018 at 11:43 PM

Typical government mindset.
Throw money at the problem and avoid any accountability.

Lena August 10, 2018 at 5:31 AM

DMV has a Director? You sure wouldn’t think so if you’d been there lately.

ChuckStir August 10, 2018 at 8:55 AM

People can avoid these long lines by pre planning months in advance for most business at the DMV, make an appointment. Oh, I forgot, that takes a few minutes out of your day. Forget it, just deal with the wait later.

Stove August 10, 2018 at 10:28 AM

The best time to go to DMV is about 15 minutes before they close for the day, then they close the doors, and have to process everyone in the location, after closing time they actually work becuase they want to go home, normally you in anf out in an hour when you come in like this. The employees hate it but its the only way they actually do work in a timely manner. been doing it this way for years.

94521 August 10, 2018 at 1:08 PM

When was the last time you saw all or most or even 1/2 of the windows opened at the same time? Yeah me neither.

Stove August 10, 2018 at 1:50 PM

Last time i saw everyone working was after closing time when they wanted to go home, see my comment above, thats the way to get them to do work.

DL August 11, 2018 at 9:00 PM

Typical California run entity! Ruined by all of the dumb politics… been to my local Reno, NV DMV numerous times in the last year since moving here- 20 minutes in and out every time!