MPD: Man Arrested For Assault With A Deadly Weapon After Climbing On Train Trestle, Throwing Railroad Spikes At Officers And Vehicles

July 20, 2018 15:03 pm · 19 comments

Martinez Police Dispatch received a call this morning about a person jumping in and out of traffic with a boulder in his hands trying to hit vehicles on Muir Station Rd. Officers arrived on scene and located the subject pacing back and forth on the train trestle 100 feet above Alhambra Way near Muir Station Rd.

Officers attempted to coax the subject down from the trestle, but he began throwing railroad spikes and large rocks from the railway at officers and passing vehicles before the roadway could be shut down, according to police. At least one vehicle was severely damaged, but nobody was injured. The subject then began throwing large rocks at nearby homes while walking west along the tracks, police said.

During this time, the railway had to be shut down to all trains in the area.

After repeated attempts to get the subject to come down off the tracks, and as the subject was continuing to throw rocks and balancing along the outer top edge of the trestle’s guard rail, a decision was made to request Central County SWAT. Crisis negotiators and tactical team members arrived shortly after and took over the scene.

After negotiating for approximately two and a half hours, the subject agreed to come off the trestle and was safely taken into custody, police said. During the negotiation, it was determined the subject had been involved in an earlier hit and run collision in the City of Martinez.

The subject in this incident was identified by police as 30-year-old Martinez resident Christopher Busby. Busby was booked into the Martinez Detention Facility for multiple counts of assault with a deadly weapon, felony vandalism and obstructing an officer.

Busby’s bail was $225,000 at the time of booking.

Simonpure July 20, 2018 at 3:32 PM

Mental heath is such an issue these days.

George July 20, 2018 at 4:06 PM

Too many drugs will get you there fast.

Cher July 20, 2018 at 3:56 PM

UH….. BUSBY???? You mean one of the richest families in Martinez? Wow.
I DID see a guy crossing over 680 on that trestle a couple days ago. He looked homeless or something but it occurred to me how stupid. I know people who have died because they cant get out of the way of a train when you are on a trestle. Dead man walking at that point…

AJR July 20, 2018 at 5:10 PM

Richest or shi**est? I recall a family of heroin addicted thefts. cant save em all…

Cher July 20, 2018 at 3:57 PM

what??

Daniel July 20, 2018 at 10:20 PM

And your so much better with your perfect life . I’m a living testament that people can change you don’t have a right to just jump in and talk crap life’s hard people make bad choices . Things are hard nowadays in today’s society. If your so interested in the community then get out there and help people .

Kinsey Leaky July 20, 2018 at 4:32 PM

We were caught up in the stopped traffic. I don’t think the cops liked us yelling jump loudly as I stood by my truck watching this moron.
Can’t believe 2.5 hours for that talk down.
JUMP!

Anon July 20, 2018 at 6:17 PM

Really shocked that you didn’t buzz them in your low flying helicopter 🙁

Atticus Thraxx July 20, 2018 at 5:31 PM

Nice job Central County SWAT Crisis negotiators. Whoever the heck that is.

WC Resident July 20, 2018 at 6:49 PM

Where did the railroad spikes come from? I know the trestle was built in 1899 but would have hoped the spikes were up there securely holding the tracks in place.

Silva July 21, 2018 at 6:39 AM

They wiggle out with the massive vibration of passing trains.

Daniel nebout July 20, 2018 at 10:36 PM

I’d like to say that. This person is a good person. I’d like to say that I might not know the entire circumstances. But I will tell you that if you have such an interestt and the time to put on here . Please put the effort into our community in social services. Resource centers and reaching out to people .rather then make the vibe negative. Everybody can have a bad day some people make worse decisions . But let’s bring it up!

Simonpure July 20, 2018 at 11:14 PM

I hope I did with my first comment. Much help needed for the unfortunate. Some self inflected, some drugs, some age, some depression…on and on. But yes Daniel. Lets bring it up. Nobody see’s what’s under the rug right.

Darwin July 21, 2018 at 6:47 AM

Daniel Nebout & simonpure,
You two have a typical Ultra liberal California attitude. You are trying to spin this into making this guy a poor victim. He was throwing rocks and spikes and placed the community and police at risk. There is little to no accountability anymore! And before you jump all over me with this liberal attitude this guy has had services. He needs to be held accountable for his poor descisions.

And yes mental health issues can be self inflicted through drug use, I have seen it more than I like to admit. I have no sympathy anymore!!!

Abbie R. July 20, 2018 at 11:34 PM

JUMP!…I never did approve of Clint Eastwood’s or Mel Gibson’s solution to this daily problem.

Dr.quattro July 21, 2018 at 12:08 AM

Jump…. seriously. Survival of the fittest, and I’m sure this guy can’t fly. Chances are this isn’t a circumstance of a singular bad choice. Most law abiding citizen’s don’t have a “bad day” and go off the handle like this criminal. He was likely borderline psychotic and under the influence of illicit narcotics.

I do commend the police and SWAT for not shooting him. Contrary to popular belief, they strive for peaceful resolution.

Bad things happen to bad people.

Bob July 21, 2018 at 1:53 AM

1. If they let the trains through, the problem would solve itself.

2. Is this the same Busby that has a motorsport shop downtown?

Daniel July 21, 2018 at 8:43 AM

I’m not liberal. I’ve just lived it. So I know how the weight feels.
All I’m talking about is the crappy comments like jump . I understand your point of view about putting the public at risk.

*unkown* July 21, 2018 at 7:28 PM

For your info bad things happen to good and bad ppl u shouldnt judge ppl even if their decisions r bad it doesnt mean that that person is bad ppl go through hard things i lost my uncle and at that time i felt terrible too he probably has been through worse than u and doesnt know how to deal with it he probably didnt mean to hurt or injure anyone in which he did not he probably just wanted attention or help he is going to think about what happened that day and will be thankful to ppl who can relate or understand and for those who say jump move on with ur own lives and stop taking out what happened to u on other ppl