Concord Costco Plans Major Remodel, Garden Center To Be Demolished

July 20, 2018 8:00 am · 55 comments

Concord Costco is in the planning stages of a major remodel.

The store on Monument Blvd. at Detroit Ave. in Concord is planning to demolish the garden center, and construct a 10,000-square-foot building addition to accommodate the expansion and remodeling of the produce, bakery, and food preparation areas.

The company also plans to remodel the photo center, relocate and expand the optical and hearing center, and construct a 3,000-square-foot mezzanine area for administrative offices and employee use.

Plans are still being reviewed by the City of Concord.

Ricardoh July 20, 2018 at 8:05 AM

Since it is already hard to find a parking place how do they intend to solve that problem.

JazzMan July 20, 2018 at 8:31 AM

That is an EXCELLENT question!

Chicken Little July 20, 2018 at 8:38 AM

I’ve never had a problem finding a parking space. But then again, I don’t mind walking a little bit. The people who keep circling the three rows closest to the front door when there are 50 empty spaces in the back of the lot crack me up.

odbusmc July 20, 2018 at 8:43 AM

Its only hard to find parking if you don’t want to walk. There is always parking at the end of the lot towards the bathroom remodel and auto parts store.

Anon July 20, 2018 at 9:02 AM

Never had trouble finding a parking spot. Sometimes you just park a little farther out. Try it! The walk might do you good!!

DS July 20, 2018 at 9:08 AM

It looks like they are re-purposing the open air space that currently is unused on the west side of the building. It was used as a garden center previously. No reduction to parking as far as I can tell.

Ricardoh July 20, 2018 at 9:30 AM

To all of you sportsman walkers out there. So nice to hear your advice. Doesn’t change the fact that parking is tight. Many times I have parked in their loading zone.

Cowellian July 20, 2018 at 9:53 AM

It’s not a matter of not wanting to walk. I was there many times on the weekends when every spot between Monument and Detroit was taken, with frustrated motorists following people as they walked to their cars.

Roz July 20, 2018 at 9:58 AM

It really depends on the time of day/or days that you shop there, for parking. Early, (9am) week days, (9am) Saturday, (10am) Sunday works great. Weekends other wise well, yeah, a bit of a walk. Or a day or two before a Holiday, kiss it good-bye for parking. But also, it really sounds like Costco is just reusing space and not adding on more footage from what is there on the building.

Brig July 20, 2018 at 10:01 AM

@Ricardo, lmao at Sportsman walkers! I didn’t know walking 500 feet was a sport? You are hilarious my friend. If you are disabled get a placard. Otherwise quit complaining about your laziness in public forums, its pathetic!

Parker July 20, 2018 at 12:21 PM

I never have a problem parking at Costco, because I don’t shop there.

Silva July 20, 2018 at 4:58 PM

The bathroom remodel store??

WC Resident July 20, 2018 at 8:47 AM

I am also surprised there is no mention of additional parking.

At one time there was talk of converting the empty field that’s to the southwest into additional parking for Costco. See https://goo.gl/maps/BULuSq9XPNp

There may have also been plans to construct a bridge over Pine Creek which is a flood control channel in that area to allow the large empty field to also be used as parking. Those two lots seems to be the last large undeveloped lots in the area.

Brig July 20, 2018 at 10:02 AM

WC Resident July 20, 2018 at 12:46 PM

@Brig – That’s why I wrote about “no mention of ADDITIONAL parking.”

There’s often a shortage of parking as it is. Costco wants to convert an underused to barely used part of their store into something that will bring in more traffic.

Polish Citizen July 20, 2018 at 9:16 AM

Bring back the polish dogs!

Hill July 20, 2018 at 9:44 AM

Costco has been trying to find a solution for parking. A few years ago they built a parking lot across the street on Detroit. They employ over 400 people and now they park across the street to free up space for members. They are still looking for solutions.

Justifiable Languor July 20, 2018 at 10:11 AM

If the parking lot is full, i just drive right through and come back later. The store would be too crowded if I took one of the 10 remaining parking spots.

Anon July 20, 2018 at 10:20 AM

Who cares.
I judge a place by the type of customers it attracts – if you want to be cut in front of, cut off or almost hit – just drive near Costco!
Must be all of those GMO in the “food” Costco sells.
Costco is Not Sustainable.

ParkingSpot July 20, 2018 at 10:36 PM

If you want to have a nervous breakdown, just drive into a Costco parking lot. The worst drivers block the entire lane as they wait for the car ahead to vacate their parking spot.
You must allow enough space for the car’s behind you to be able to go around, while you wait for the parking space.
Wouldn’t it be nice if Costco had a parking lot attendant to help and assist with parking.

Stewb July 20, 2018 at 10:24 AM

I’ve never had a hard time parking there.

AnonZ July 20, 2018 at 10:58 AM

My question is about parking as well. Right now, it’s easy enough, but it seems like what they are planning to build is going to take up quite a bit of space. The garden area was not that big.

Anon July 20, 2018 at 11:09 AM

The existing garden area is 10,000 sq feet, so that isn’t going to effect parking. Likewise, the area where the carts are stored is roughly 3,00 sq feet. No parking is effected.

ConcordGuy July 20, 2018 at 11:25 AM

Parking is Costco isn’t anyone’s problem but Costco’s. The city really should get out of the business of regulating parking.

Lena July 20, 2018 at 11:32 AM

They can spray me with Chanel No. 5 when I enter, I still wouldn’t be caught dead in Costco. Walmart, Gricery Outlet and Target quality and you don’t have to paya yearly fee. Costco is the biggest joke ever played on consumers. Their toilet paper clogs my plumbing, by the way.

Shoulda Coulda July 20, 2018 at 12:42 PM

Lena –
If you wouldn’t be caught dead in Costco how
could their toilet paper clog your plumbing?
Do you have someone else buy it for you?

Cowellian July 20, 2018 at 12:45 PM

Sure, blame the toilet paper.
🙂

anonymous July 20, 2018 at 3:29 PM

@Lena
That’s some serious mud you’re throwing!!

Lena July 20, 2018 at 6:27 PM

One Christmas, I returned a gift and they gave me the money in a Costco gift card. I thought I’d stock up on toilet paper, but they didn’t’ have what I normally buy which is Scott’s single ply. So, I bought their cushy soft, double-ply stuff. Really nice to use and the big package I bought lasted me a little over a year. During that year, however, I had to call Roto Rooter three times to come out and remove it from my drain lines. Went back to Scott’s and have had no further problems.

Silva July 21, 2018 at 1:28 PM

I’m dying here!!🤣🤣🤣

Really... July 20, 2018 at 1:00 PM

No more garden area, no more Christmas trees to be returned LOL

Tsa July 20, 2018 at 1:38 PM

First thing Costco should do is to relocate it away from Concord’s ghetto area. There are many much better places than where it currently is located.

anonymous July 20, 2018 at 3:31 PM

So where should they re-locate, Einstein?

Greenflash July 20, 2018 at 1:39 PM

When are people going to learn the difference between effect and affect? Don’t blame it on auto correct.

Lena July 20, 2018 at 9:32 PM

Greenflash, would you care to be more specific?

Anon July 21, 2018 at 11:12 AM

“The movie had great special EFFECTS”.

“150 homes were AFFECTED by the power outage”.

Kirkwood July 20, 2018 at 4:02 PM

For those living in or near Clayton, you can travel over the hill to the Antioch Costco in about the same time it takes to go to the Concord location. The Antioch store is less crowded, with shorter lines, and. easy parking. Also, you don’t have to parallel park for gas. Nearby, there is an uncrowded Home Depot and a Winco foods.

concord ygnacio July 20, 2018 at 5:32 PM

You do have to parallel park at all Costcos if you pull up to the first pump, in front of a car at the end pump.

Concord mom July 20, 2018 at 9:47 PM

Sorry the Antioch store is kind of ghetto. Concord has nicer things, better selection, service and better quality on some items. I am sticking with my Concord store. Better samples in Concord too!

Newellian July 20, 2018 at 4:19 PM

This is good news! We recently visited the brand new Costco near Medford, Oregon. It is huge, and very logically laid out. They also have lots of products not found at the Costco in Concord. When we talked to the checker and told her we usually shop at the Concord Costco, she smiled and told us that the Concord Costco is one of the highest grossing Costco stores nationwide. Concord really needs more retail space!

concord ygnacio July 20, 2018 at 5:34 PM

At Costcos in Oregon, there are only 2-4 gas pumps open at 6 in the morning. There is a long wait even though few cars are there.

Atticus Thraxx July 20, 2018 at 5:19 PM

No parky, no shoppy. Don’t care what you do inside, I’ll never see it.

Original G July 20, 2018 at 5:39 PM

Going to Costco, well, Ya gotts ta time it.
Never go within 4 days before a holiday.
Never go on a weekend.

anonymous2u July 20, 2018 at 6:19 PM

Just wish they’d build another one in the area, and no, I’m no real estate Einstein/genius so I wouldn’t know where they should build another one around here. There are members from PH, Mtz, Concord, Clayton, WC, maybe even from Lamorinda — that’s 8 cities who shop in 1 location!

Mel July 20, 2018 at 6:45 PM

Bunch of complainers. Never had a problem parking. Ever. And I go on the weekends some time between opening and 1, with 2 small kids.

Red Sanford July 20, 2018 at 8:34 PM

I only have a problem with the minivan full of a family of 12 get out and graze the free food at the end of the aisles and you can’t get your cart pass the freeloaders. Only to see them later in the parking lot and see they purchased nothing at all.
Otherwise pick your time wisely to shop avoid holiday and weekends.

Hill July 20, 2018 at 9:46 PM

That’s what they would like also, Costco tried to get some of the land where the old chevron building was, now the empty Verda shopping center. Also looked at Arnold in Martinez but don’t remember the issues there.

Well Folks July 21, 2018 at 9:50 AM

Hill – the original Costco for the area was on Arnold in Mtz. They wanted to expand and add gas pumps but the owner of the strip where Cue & Brew and others businesses are would not sell. That is when the built the Monument locations.
The old Costco is now the always crowded WalMart

Silva July 21, 2018 at 12:10 PM

Yep, Well Folks. That was where we joined Costco, where the Walmart is now. We came shopping from West Oakland then for several years, till they built the Richmond store, then nno more.

Timmymac July 20, 2018 at 10:42 PM

My works there, part time we have great insurance, that’s all

Dogdog_dad July 21, 2018 at 9:00 AM

Who is “My”?

HashtagMe July 21, 2018 at 12:16 AM

I park in the outer areas bc it’s hard to back out of close in spots bc people walk right behind you even as you are moving. There is less of that in the lower 40. Mom’s with little kids are the worst. I have fun inside trying to get ppl to make eye contact; I guess they think that if they don’t make eye contact then they can be rude and play bully with their shopping cart. I wish they would bring back the chocolate froyo.

ON DA July 21, 2018 at 12:56 PM

I can understand closing the garden centers and photo labs. They should seek another site for some of these planned improvements because it is already a bit busy as is. The surrounding businesses may have problems keeping up as well,

As part of an enjoyable shopping experience it is nice to be able to get out the store. Couldn’t they simply offer driver ed. classes to those that still cannot safely operate a motor vehicle?

Christine July 21, 2018 at 1:59 PM

I loved the garden area !!! 😞

christmas mom July 23, 2018 at 8:18 AM

soooo..no more christmas trees at concord costco?