Multi-Vehicle Collision Blocking Northbound I-680 In Walnut Creek

July 15, 2018 22:54 pm · 15 comments

A 10-vehicle collision is blocking multiple lanes on northbound I-680 near Treat Blvd. in Walnut Creek.

The crash happened at 10:45 on Sunday evening.

At least two people are injured, according to the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District.

Expect major delays in the area for several hours.

TraumaRx July 15, 2018 at 11:09 PM

Stop texting and driving. And always wear you safety belt.

missimee July 15, 2018 at 11:16 PM

Again?! Didn’t something similar also happen earlier Sunday Morning??? Hope all involved are not seriously injured.

TraumaRx July 15, 2018 at 11:39 PM

Happens everyday. Teenage drivers or the elderly not paying attention.

tammy July 15, 2018 at 11:49 PM

Again i did something

Ann N July 15, 2018 at 11:27 PM

My family and I passed this and only saw 5 cars involved. Hope everyone is alright 🙁

Ryan July 16, 2018 at 12:03 AM

Just drove past it.

There was the original crash that involved at least 4 cars that blocked at least 3 lanes of traffic. It was right before the Contra Costa Boulevard bridge.

There was a second crash that happened involving a white sedan and a full-size truck. This one was just under the Oak Park Boulevard bridge. I bet the white sedan driver wasn’t paying attention to the stopped traffic ahead and plowed into the full size truck. Both airbags were deployed in the white sedan, which had major front end damage. There were no EMTs when i passed by the second accident.

AnonZ July 16, 2018 at 6:13 AM

“The crash happened at 10:45 on Sunday evening.”

So maybe the time on the other crash was mis-reported? Sounds like one and the same crash.

Ryan July 16, 2018 at 8:31 AM

There was a crash at 3:43 am Sunday morning that closed all lanes of 680.

Less than 24 hours later, another crash happened, at 10:45 pm Sunday night, that also affected lanes of traffic.

Coggins Square July 16, 2018 at 6:24 AM

Probably caused by speeding. Speeding is a huge pandemic in this region.

KFPH July 16, 2018 at 6:44 AM

We had our back door open and heard this crash. I distinctly heard one tire squeal and five booms right afterwards (it was loud!) Not a minute and a half later, we heard the call on the scanner.
I know there were injuries, and I hope not to seriously.

Nellie July 16, 2018 at 12:26 PM

now they are having side shows on the 680 freeway?

Molly July 16, 2018 at 2:45 PM

I was right in front of the white sedan. They were on their phone and plowed into the truck right in front of them. I’m guessing they were on their phone. I can’t get the image out of my mind. They ht
It the truck so hard. Does anyone know if everyone involved is ok?
Get off your phones people!!!! This all could have been avoided

Debbie July 17, 2018 at 11:01 AM

Molly

If you in front of white sedan why weren’t you hit?

Debbie July 17, 2018 at 11:05 AM

If you were in front of white sedan, why weren’t you hit? My son was driving truck that was hit.

Ellen Teapot July 16, 2018 at 7:41 PM

Another tragic example of the costs of our cars-first, cars-only transportation planning regime. We need rail transit from Martinez to Pleasanton as a fast, safe alternative to driving on the freeway.