The Water Cooler – Preparing For A Possible Fire

July 12, 2018 12:00 pm · 8 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

Is your home (or property) adjacent to any kind of open space, park, walking trail, vacant lot, cow pasture, etc. Do you take any measures to prevent a potential fire from spreading onto your property, from the open space?

Talk about it….

Silva July 12, 2018 at 12:03 PM

Not anymore. Thanks, Seen0

yep@youbet.com July 12, 2018 at 1:14 PM

Yep. Tall grass is scalped 100 feet from the house.

Roz July 12, 2018 at 1:52 PM

My yard is fine, but the two neighbors to the right,…WOW! Dried weeds up to 4ft. tall in the back yards. City of Concord makes them clean up the front yards, but that’s it.

Simonpure July 12, 2018 at 3:02 PM

Hi Roz…I hate that too. Neighbor to my left is the same way and to the right completely the opposite.

Citizen July 12, 2018 at 1:55 PM

Yes. Grass was cut back about the same as yep you bet.. Rossmoor cut it back after I complained. I hope still that we will be ok. You never know.

The Mamba July 12, 2018 at 3:51 PM

Uh, there’s a park behind me, but it’s pretty much all green grass and dirt, so not really.

Derb July 12, 2018 at 5:19 PM

Yes. Our home (property) is only a fence away from the tall dry grassy hills of open space close to the Concord Pavilion. The tractor guy plowed the fire break about a month ago (late) but the weed wacker guys who wack the dry grass from my fence to the fire break haven’t done thier job yet. My husband called the Public Works Dept. of Concord to ask when this will be done and was told a day or two before the tractor work. Well that hasn’t happened & I’m a bit worried because of the high fire danger. The reason we don’t do it ourselves or hire someone else to do it is because we already pay for this service included in our property tax. I guess it’s time to call The City of Concord again!

Aspirin July 13, 2018 at 1:56 PM

Report properties with tall dry weeds to the City. There is a weed control ordinance.