The Claycord Online Museum – Montgomery Wards and the Old Hwy.24 (before Hwy.242)

July 12, 2018 16:00 pm · 14 comments

photo

This photo is of the old Montgomery Wards shopping center in Pleasant Hill, and if you look closely at the sign on the freeway, you can see it says “24 Concord Pittsburg”. That highway is no longer Hwy.24, it’s now Hwy.242.

Click on the photo for a much larger view.

photo: California Department of Transportation via Mark Harrigan with 680/24 Corridor History group on Facebook.

If you have any old photos or items that you’d like to place in the Claycord Online Museum, just scan or take a photo of them, and send them to the following address: news@claycord.com. It doesn’t matter what it is, even if it’s just an old photo of your house, a scan of an old advertisement or an artifact that you’d like us to see, send it in and we’ll put it online.

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items.

Steven Powers July 12, 2018 at 4:10 PM

How about the old thermometer that was in the lot , remember seeing that as we passed by…

In case you're wondering July 12, 2018 at 4:48 PM

State Route 24 is three miles long and became State Route 242 in 1987.

Mimi (original) July 12, 2018 at 5:04 PM

The transition from Hwy 24 to 242 confused me a bit when I moved here in 1996 because I remembered it as Hwy 24 from visits back in the 70’s and 80’s! Several people I met once I moved here hadn’t been here that long and they all thought I was making it up!!

Buck July 12, 2018 at 5:15 PM

Remember Gramma and Grandad loading me into their 55 chevy and telling me we were going to “Monkey Wards” guess that would be considered offensive now days it wasnt’ in the 50’s and 60’s.

Poodlme July 12, 2018 at 8:29 PM

This Montgomery Wards location was the top store in the East Bay for sales and profit back in the day.

MoJo July 12, 2018 at 6:26 PM

Ah, the good ole days! I see a grand total of 4 cars on the freeway and it’s the middle of the day.

Silva July 12, 2018 at 8:51 PM

🎶Your money goes farther at…. 🎶Montgomery WAAAAARDS!!!🎶

Bay Area Native July 12, 2018 at 9:03 PM

I still miss the domed theater from that complex. The lack of traffic makes me fondly nostalgic.

Chester E. Kitty July 13, 2018 at 7:41 AM

@MoJo … haha… that’s exactly what I was thinking. Actually I was thinking it was probably rush hour. This was the Concord I grew up in … such a great town back then. So many kids in the neighborhoods, great stores, etc.

Badge1104 July 13, 2018 at 7:48 AM

Yesterday, as I sat in unending traffic in That same stretch, I had memories of when all our freeways easy and quick anytime of day. it’s scary this only going to get even much worse!

The Fractionator July 13, 2018 at 8:07 AM

Best popcorn in the world and an old fashion candy counter. When I was a kid use to go with my Dad to “Monkey Wards” to buy tools and hardware and always got a bag of popcorn to go.

Michelle July 13, 2018 at 9:26 AM

I thought I was the only kid who called it Monkey Wards!

Jojo Potato July 13, 2018 at 11:26 AM

I never knew it had any other name until much later in life. I did get dragged there as a kid but I don’t believe I ever bought anything there. I do remember peeking into the bar next to the dome and wondering whose idea of fun was that?

Did I Say That Out Loud July 13, 2018 at 12:54 PM

Gotta say it….I miss the old days. I feel sorry for those who didn’t have the chance to live in the era of less stress, less rudeness, less of a rat race.