UPDATE: 60-Year-Old Bicyclist Struck, Killed By Pickup Truck

July 11, 2018 14:00 pm · 33 comments

(by Dan McMenamin) – A 60-year-old man riding a bicycle was struck and killed by a pickup truck in Concord early this morning, according to police.

The collision was reported at 12:05 a.m. by the 57-year-old Antioch man who was driving the truck and hit the bicyclist on San Miguel Road near Systron Drive, police said.

The bicyclist, a Concord resident whose name is not yet being released, was pronounced dead at the scene. The truck driver remained at the scene and is cooperating with the investigation, according to police.

Investigators determined both the vehicle and bicyclist were traveling south on San Miguel Road. The cause remains under investigation but alcohol or drugs are not considered factors, police said.

San Miguel Road was closed in the area for more than three hours so police could collect evidence and conduct the investigation.

Anyone with information about the case is encouraged to call Officer Lawrence at (925) 671-5097.

WC Resident July 11, 2018 at 2:19 PM

RIP. Parts of that road has little to no bike lane. I have a mirror on my bike and when I hear someone coming up from behind I’m always watching to see if they are drifting to the right. Fortunately, nearly always they have noticed me and are drifting to the left.

joann H July 11, 2018 at 3:44 PM

So sorry. Did he have a helmet on??? It is really dangerous for the bikers, since it is easy to not allow enough space for them., Sometimes better to go on the trails and safer.

Margaret Vertin July 11, 2018 at 3:49 PM

That is why bikes should not have to share lanes with cars. Bikes need their own bike path, not a bunch of lame green dots like they did at Concord BART; talk about danger to bicyclists and NOT walk friendly. LAME!

Anon July 11, 2018 at 5:02 PM

Exactly. Roads were designed 50 years ago WITHOUT bicyclists in mind.
Get mad all you want – this is reality.

rich July 11, 2018 at 5:02 PM

There are suggestions on various post of using the Canal Trail. We use to be able to walk/ride from the corner of Systron Drive and San Miguel Road to the Canal trail. The access to the Canal Trail is now blocked by the HOA at the end of Systron Drive. This is the Canal Trail access the builder of the complex was required to construct to complete the project. You wonder how the HOA can block public access to the Canal trail.

Pony July 11, 2018 at 8:58 PM

I have ridden on San Miguel during the day. Scared s***less the whole time. I drive it in my car and it reminds me of the rural roads in KY. My condolences to the family of man killed.

Simonpure July 11, 2018 at 10:29 PM

Most of Miguel has sidewalks. Break the law and ride them in that area.
At midnight not so sure colored bike lanes make much difference. RIP

ZZ July 11, 2018 at 9:10 PM

So sad.

Lena July 12, 2018 at 8:38 AM

Very sad. My condolences to the family. Concord just isn’t a bicycle-friendly city. It is a pass through for drivers getting to freeways and the skills involved in accomplishing a leisurely trip to shop locally and commuting to work are vastly different. I believe most drivers see most surface streets in Concord as an irritation and annoyance to somehow overcome, especially as traffic on those streets has increased. I don’t see that ever changing no matter what protections are put in place for bicyclists simply because of the haphazard way the area has developed. I’ve ridden in a lot of cities, but I won’t ride in Concord because I don’t feel it is safe for bicyclists.

Citizen July 12, 2018 at 9:35 AM

I am so very sorry. I am a cyclist but only use the Iron Horse Trail. I fell off of my bike when a truck came too close over by Briones. Bad idea. There is not enough room on some of the roads especially like poor guy over there by San Miguel Road. You cannot depend on people seeing you also sometimes the road is bumpy and you can loose your balance too. I pray for his family RIP man.

KinseyLeaky July 12, 2018 at 10:07 AM

Roads are for vehicles, bikes need to stay on a sidewalk. Remember when you were a kid and your parents told you to stay out off the street and on the sidewalk. Yea you do remember don’t you.
Share the road my butt…get off the roads.
Get in a car…

Jordan July 15, 2018 at 7:24 PM

It’s so unfortunate that you are so misinformed.

Youareinsane July 15, 2018 at 9:10 PM

Wow keep your insensitive comments to yourself. I know the family personally and your rash and offensive comment should have nothing to do with what happened. Someone DIED jack ass. Show some respect or maybe stay off the internet all together. The fact that you are insinuating that this is the cyclists fault is absurd and insane.

FamilyMember July 15, 2018 at 11:10 PM

Your comment is asinine. A human being died in this unfortunate accident, and as a member of his family I find you to be terribly insensitive. I hope you never have to learn of the unfortunate demise of one of your family members in such a way.

MCA July 16, 2018 at 12:04 AM

A bicycle is legally considered a vehicle. In most cases riding on the sidewalk is ILLEGAL.

Adam July 16, 2018 at 6:25 AM

Seriously. This guy probably hunts bicyclists. Bikes are illegal on sidewalks. And, someone well loved died. I hope there is a hell so people like him have a horrible time there for eternity.

Astonished July 17, 2018 at 4:51 AM

Unbelievable. With a handle like @KinseyLeaky, could one expect rational thought as well as empathy, for bike riders and especially the deceased. FFS.

Róme Everett July 17, 2018 at 3:14 PM

@KinsyLeaky, its people with your mindset, that add to road fatalities year-in, year-out. Your comment tells me a few things about you … the most obvious of which, I’ll not mention. However, and this is a fact – unless there’s been a change – and a California State Vehicular Law: ”once a cyclist is moving at a speed of 15 mph, they are no longer allowed on a city sidewalk, for they are then, considered as a moving vehicle” (like a car). There was a time, when I actually carried around the pamphlet which outlined this very statute, in case I was involved in an altercation with a motorist (as yourself) … as well as for any law enforcement on hand dealing with the accident. Here’s another fact for you … there was a time, when most people in the USA rode bikes. Abeit many years ago … it was through the efforts of cyclists nationwide that road conditions in the USA, were vastly improved upon, and not vice-versa. Eventually, bicycles did take a back seat to motor vehicles … but that doesn’t mean they should not be allowed to use/share the paved surfaces as well. In closing, I knew the person that was killed by the vehicle (since 1986) … and he will be missed by many. I wonder if the same, will be said of you ???

Joseph July 17, 2018 at 5:15 PM

This is the Mentality of Car drivers that gets bike riders Killed , You have no more rights to the roadway then a Bike , remember that when you kill someone and you go to jail

Gail July 18, 2018 at 8:04 AM

wow cold hearten Kinsey – That was my friend that was killed by the car .. road are for people traveling cars have to yield to pedestrians and bikers on the right of them. Not run them down and kill them! This is a sad thing not a place for a political agenda!

BH July 12, 2018 at 2:14 PM

Truck drivers need to wake up and look out for riders….always those morons who are intimidating other people on the road.

Bikers have the right of way too, people.

Fred P. July 12, 2018 at 2:23 PM

@Kinsey – the California Vehicle Code speaks about bicycles… see the summary at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_law_in_California.

Oh, please July 13, 2018 at 6:09 PM

Fred- just because something is a law, does not mean it is smart.

Cowellian July 13, 2018 at 6:48 PM

Because the State of California, its cities and counties, and its residents, all feel entitled to ignore laws they don’t like.

Ricardo July 15, 2018 at 11:30 PM

He was my good friend and he is missed by so many. He had so much more to live and more to give to the world. An artist, a father and a friend. Be safe out there and take care of each other.

Jr. July 16, 2018 at 1:16 AM

Wheels was a bicycle messenger for many years.Hes lived in Concord for years,on top of that.This isn’t a rookie,out on a lark,he was seasoned,knowledgeable and experienced in all manner of biking.Something doesn’t sound right that a vehicle minding it’s own business could have come close enough to hit him without some really Bizaar mitigating circumstances.He was as well known as the mayor,to those in the area,party dog,member of the Renaissance Fair.This is more than just a passing accedent,to those who knew him.

Terrrie Frye July 16, 2018 at 4:08 PM

I can’t handle it.

Irish Girl Here July 16, 2018 at 1:26 AM

He will be missed by many people I know.

Ann Clark July 16, 2018 at 6:44 AM

We are heartbroken. He was our beloved friend of many years, and he was loved by so many people across the Bay Area and beyond. Our thoughts are with his family as they grieve this awful tragedy. Memory eternal.

Alexander B. Robb July 16, 2018 at 7:44 AM

I was a friend of the deceased and have known him for almost 30 years. He was a kind, wise and peaceful soul with a big heart and a thousand friends. He was an avid cyclist as am I. We understand the risks and at times we accept the consequences. I feel terrible for the driver, as I imagine his life is never going to be the same. Although the loss of a loved one is a terrible thing, I believe the guilt of having taken that life will haunt this poor man forever. Please slow down and look, drive safe and tell everyone you know to give bicyclists at least 3 ft.. Sometimes this means waiting until the oncoming Lane is clear, you may cross over the double yellow line if needed to give us some space. Remember everyone on a bike is someone’s son or father or husband or brother. Rest in Peace my friend, I will see you further on down the road

Stephen Smith July 16, 2018 at 9:18 AM

JOHN was a good friend and wonderful employee RIP my dear friend

Tommy July 17, 2018 at 2:03 AM

Wheels..my God Wheels

Neal Ross Attinson July 17, 2018 at 8:06 AM

I too am a friend of the decedent, as well as an ex-roommate. We shall not look upon his like again.