The Claycord Online Museum – An Old Postcard of Downtown Concord

July 11, 2018 16:00 pm · 35 comments

old_postcard

Check this out!

This postcard, which is from the 1980s, shows Downtown Concord (before the Brenden Theatre) and before many other noticeable buildings.

If you click on the postcard, you’ll get a MUCH larger view.

In the middle of the postcard, try to spot the blue roof, that’s the old International House of Pancakes, which used to be where the Brenden Theatre currently sits.

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items.

Sacto Rob July 23, 2013 at 2:02 PM

The late 1900’s. Like 1908 or 1909? Because it looks more like the late 20th Century to me.

Capt. Obvious July 23, 2013 at 2:09 PM

>Sacto Rob
If you have plans at 6:45 and you are running late, do you ever suggest quarter to seven instead?

MattfromConcord July 11, 2018 at 10:03 PM

What about
25 or 6 to 4 ????
That’s too easy I’m the morning for me.

CLAYCORD.com July 23, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Thanks, Capt. Obvious!

well.. July 23, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Funny joke sacto rob!

Sacto Rob July 23, 2013 at 2:25 PM

>Capt. Obvious
Are you suggesting having dinner at a quarter to seven INSTEAD of 6:45? Because that’s the same thing, not one thing instead of something else. As is the case with the 1920’s the 1930’s, 1990’s, etc., the 1900’s refers to a decade, not an a entire century. Accuracy is a harsh mistress.

Badge1104 July 11, 2018 at 6:57 PM

No, not really: if you were to say “in the 1800’s”, that can mean anytime in the, same with in the ‘1900s’.

Dog Meat July 23, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I think the late 1900s would be the 1980s or the 1990s. I don’t view it as the decade I view it as the century. Who cares anyway, you know what claycord meant. It is obvious it isn’t 1908 so quit being an idiot.

mojoduck July 23, 2013 at 3:07 PM

We new what he meant by late 1900s so ge over it!

Jim July 23, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Looks to be mid 1980’s as they had even broken ground on Brendan and it’openeing in what 1988 or 89…and look little Mexico isn’t yet…LOL

SAR July 23, 2013 at 3:30 PM

‘Auto Row’ on Market Street is under construction…

Capt. Obvious July 23, 2013 at 3:38 PM

this post card must be old… the Masonic Temple is still located on Concord Ave.

Chester E. Kitty July 23, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I remember the old IHOP!!! Looked like a ski chalet from Switzerland.

EmDubya July 23, 2013 at 3:46 PM

And I see Bud’s Saw Shop (later Bay Area Carbide) owned by my friend’s dad, the gas station owned by my childhood neighbor, and the nice lawn that caused my dentist to relocate, and I zoomed in really close and spotted an early homeless camp by the overpass.

I think I also spotted a less regulated and more prosperous population as well. 🙂

Chris KAp July 23, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I would say around 1985-1989? Or whenever the old Concord ice and fuel was torn down to make room for a car dealership. Does anyone know when that was?

nytemuvr July 23, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Ohhhhhh…no Spirit Poles….(sarcasm)

Chris KAp July 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I miss the Spirit poles. Gave you something to talk about when you were in traffic. Get your mind off traffic and on how pissed you were the city wasted all that money……

Retardo Montalbon July 23, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I worked at IHOP in the latter part of the 20th century……..I can see the big blue roof right across from the dealership which is mostly covered by that big building.

Beacon July 23, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I wonder if they’ll ever build the 2nd tower on the corner of Grant and Clayton.

THE BLACK KNIGHT July 11, 2018 at 7:23 PM

Beacon,

Tower II will not be built, but unfortunately there are current plans to build an apartment complex on that site and on the property across the street where the apartment building will take up the entire square block except for the part of the property where the parking garage is located.

Retardo Montalbon July 23, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Kristina July 23, 2013 at 6:19 PM

As long as they don’t post any of my old Concord High photos from the 70’s….I’ve put on a few.

Z Man July 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I can see no Auto Row.
Concord Pavilion is somehow sold out.
Looks like Walgreens may not have been there????
BART parking lot is SUPER under utilized… maybe this was a weekend.
Baker’s Square was on Willow Pass…. and they had good Berry Pies.
ABBA Storage does not appear to be alongside freeway as well.
Frys is not built up either, nor is the building it sits in, from what I can see.
Wait, looking again, there is an Igloo Playmate at the Concord Pavilion…. that definitely will never be seen there again on the lawn!
There appears to be an IHOP where Agave Grill and Brendan are today.
Also, Emil Villas was in Park and shop, and they had good biscuits and Gravy

nytemuvr July 23, 2013 at 10:39 PM

@Kristina #19
I have ’68 to ’72 CHS yearbooks, you’re probably in one of them. Are we suppose to look the same?

nytemuvr July 24, 2013 at 12:24 AM

@Chris KAp #15
How come none of those poles got hit like the fire hydrants lately?…..or was one ever hit?

FlyingSpaghettiMonsterCatcher July 11, 2018 at 4:51 PM

I started working at that IHOP in Feb of 1988………….if you squint super hard you can see my 1969 Buick Le Sabre (Which I bought from a guy who, I believe, still works at Lehmer’s)

Silva July 11, 2018 at 6:04 PM

What big street is that through the upper half?

THE BLACK KNIGHT July 11, 2018 at 7:26 PM

Silva,

I think you might be looking at SR-242, if you’re talking about the roadway from the left to the right on the upper section of the postcard.

Silva July 11, 2018 at 8:11 PM

Thank you THE BLACK KNIGHT, and the big one crossing it?

THE BLACK KNIGHT July 11, 2018 at 9:06 PM

Silva,

That roadway is Concord Avenue. At the very top of the postcard it’s going over the creek and there are some hangers at Buchanan Field to the right of the roadway.

Pony July 11, 2018 at 8:53 PM

Funny, BoA had that whole plaza complex. Now floors 2-5 of the Tower are Wells Fargo and the four story building across the street on Grant is all Wells. No one would have thought that would happen in the late 1980’s

The Professor July 11, 2018 at 9:30 PM

Who would ever buy a postcard of Concord?
Who would ever get excited by receiving a postcard of Concord?

Dr Jellyfinger July 11, 2018 at 11:03 PM

You’ve never lived in Mudpuddle Mississippi have you?

mohairs July 12, 2018 at 12:07 AM

The pine trees around the BofA tech center’s parking garage were recently planted when this photo was taken so after 1986. Those same trees are taller than the garage structure now.

Gititogether July 12, 2018 at 1:11 PM

An IHOP surrounded by trees and plenty of free, convenient parking…can it be brought back?