Large Water Main Break On John Muir Rd. & Alhambra Ave. In Martinez

July 11, 2018 22:46 pm · 7 comments

A large water main break has forced the City of Martinez to issue an alert to residents.

The water main break is located at John Muir Rd. and Alhambra Ave.

It’s currently impacting water service in the south end of the city.

City crews are on scene working to repair the problem.

The Martinez Police ask that you please do not call police dispatch to report the incident unless you have an emergency.

MTZ Matt July 11, 2018 at 10:59 PM

Yup. Still getting water but the pressure is very low.

martinezmike July 12, 2018 at 11:21 AM

Oh noo. I may be forced to drink beer

S July 12, 2018 at 12:08 PM

Speaking of Martinez; I heard Beaver Greek BBQ is selling to Slow Hand BBQ.

Rumplestiltskin July 12, 2018 at 2:19 PM

Oh please no!

CCC_N8ive July 12, 2018 at 3:21 PM

Hmmmm…. The strange saga of Martinez BBQ places continues.

I’ve never been to Slow Hand. I was at the previous restaurant at that location, “Smokin’ Okies”, once. Was underwhelmed by it. Can’t really comment on Slow Hand. Any good?

However… What’s the deal with Beaver Creek? It’s never open! I couldn’t tell you if it was any good since I’ve never been able to go there – and I go to Martinez a lot! I went once to the BBQ place (can’t remember the name) that was in that same location before Beaver Creek. It was so-so. Surprisingly, the owner was there that day and he asked me how it was. I could tell he wasn’t really receptive to an honest assessment so I lied and said “Great!”. He closed not too long after that.

Then there was the very, very mysterious Smokehouse10 from a few years ago. It was only open for a few hours in the middle of the day on Monday through Friday. No weekends, no evenings. I got to try this place once. It was pretty good that one time. It would have been nice to check it out again but not being open at any time during the weekend or any evening is just kinda weird.

One thing I’ve noticed about businesses in downtown Martinez – it tends to attract more that its share of eccentric owners with equally eccentric ideas about doing business. A recent case in point: Check out the cigar store/lounge on Main St. It probably wont be open whenever you go by but read the notices on the front door.

There are a few more businesses there that keep me guessing. This is why I simultaneously love and get really frustrated with downtown Martinez.

S July 12, 2018 at 6:20 PM

Real BBQ is an extensive and expensive operation; much more work than a standard diner…. My guess the Martinez lunch crowd wasn’t enough to make the effort worth it…. Running a Q-Joint is exhausting…

Never open??? When they ran out of meat they would close… That’s honest Q!

Never been to Slow Hand either, so we’ll see…………….

CCC_N8ive July 12, 2018 at 9:12 PM

@S

As far as Beaver Creek goes I don’t think it’s a supply thing. Just odd choice of operating hours.

Agree with running a Q joint. It’s largely a labor of love to do properly. But even the the famous places in Texas outside of Austin or San Antonio have reliable hours when the working stiffs can, at least, get a shot at it.