The Water Cooler – Who Wins The Food Court Battle? Costco Or Sam’s Club?

July 10, 2018 12:00 pm · 29 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

Who has the best food court? Costco or Sam’s Club? (side note: Costco is getting rid of their polish hot dog.

Talk about it….

Dorothy July 10, 2018 at 12:06 PM

Costco. Seldom even try Sam’s. But since I seldom have lunch at either, maybe I shouldn’t judge.

Kirkwood July 10, 2018 at 12:25 PM

At Sam’s you don’t have to enter the store to buy but there are few places to sit and eat., at Costco it’s the opposite.
Taste wise I think the are about the same.

anon July 10, 2018 at 1:00 PM

At Sam’s you do have to enter the store & there are almost as many seats as Costco. The $1.50 hot dog/drink is a loss leader & the dogs are Costco & not Kosher anymore.

Hmm July 10, 2018 at 1:15 PM

Even though you have to enter the store you do not need a membership to eat at the food court or the pharmacy at Costco. Heck most Costcos have the food court outside for this reason.

I haven’t tested it but apparently you can buy alcohol without a membership too due to some obscure law.

Kirkwood July 10, 2018 at 2:08 PM

Admittedly it’s been a few years since I’ve eaten a big box dog, at Sam’s I walked into the vestibule past a half dozen small tables surrounded by people standing in lines. At the Antioch Costco I never attempted to enter the “out” door to access the food court but with my card I probably could have.

Roz July 10, 2018 at 4:16 PM

@ Hmm,…I am a Costco member, and YES,…I was told the same thing about you don’t have to be a member to purchase alcoholic drinks. FYI,…we don’t eat at Costco food court since my Hubby likes to go to El Molino.

About_booze July 10, 2018 at 6:44 PM

California has elected to have fewer restrictions on buying alcohol. Club membership is such a restriction. Kansas has a “local option” law where counties and municipalities can require their own restrictions. In the county where my relatives live, if you want to by “liquor by the drink” you MUST be a member of the bar or “club” where that liquor is served. This makes it inconvenient and adds more expense to drinking, yet does little to curb alcohol consumption.

Hottie July 10, 2018 at 1:10 PM

Huh? You can use the food court and pharmacies at both without being a member. Sam’s has plenty of room to sit and eat when I’ve been there.

Scrooge July 10, 2018 at 1:35 PM

Whichever has the fewest people to fight with getting through the stores.

SmileWC July 10, 2018 at 2:22 PM

I like Sam’s pizza deal – pizza (I like all-meat) plus 2 liter soda and a 5 garlic cheese breads for 13.99. And there’s plenty of close-in parking.

martinezmike July 10, 2018 at 2:36 PM

What about Sun Valley? They had the first food court I can remember. It’s back now. More choices and more money.

Jen July 11, 2018 at 8:48 AM

Sun Valley took out Sbarro – so sad! That would be my only choice or home cooking is always better!

The Mamba July 10, 2018 at 2:41 PM

Never set foot in a Sam’s Club, so I have no frame of reference.

HashtagMe July 10, 2018 at 2:44 PM

Costco discontinued their chocolate so probably Sam’s.

Fred July 10, 2018 at 3:02 PM

I’ll pass on the cheap hot dogs. Personally I like the food at Ikea, especially since it takes me a few hours to go thru that place. Bass Pro has some nice chow too.

Local Lady July 10, 2018 at 3:48 PM

I like Sam’s dining area better, but Costco’s pizza slices are the best. On the other hand, the soda fountain at Sam’s has a better selection and they also serve Icies.

Atticus Thraxx July 10, 2018 at 4:50 PM

I always wondered who ate at those places. I wonder no more. God Bless each of you. 😉

sideline July 11, 2018 at 7:36 AM

lol

Lena July 10, 2018 at 5:51 PM

Yuk! Never eaten at either one and likely never will.

anon July 11, 2018 at 8:02 AM

Millions do it every year without issue—you have no clue

Pony July 10, 2018 at 6:07 PM

In the 2000’s I would go to Sams because they were across the street from Airport Plaza where I worked. Haven’t been there since they remodeled. Food was you get what you pay for quality. Never been to the Costco here. Was at one in Seattle and the food was you get what you pay for quality.

jbelkin July 10, 2018 at 6:22 PM

At Sam’s, you can get Coke or Pepsi (plus products) while Cistco is Pepsi products only now – though there’s a Coke machine where you can buy a Coke for $1 or a bittle of water for $.50. While the hot dog are the same, The quality of food is better at Costco – more variety – plus a bunch of ice cream/frozen yougurt/desert choices … pizza is better at Costco but at the low prices of both, it’s not like there’s much to complain about. BTW, you can shop at Costco without a membership by using the prepaid costco card so if you buy very little, have someone pick up a prepaid card for you and you can save even more.

Rukidding July 10, 2018 at 8:24 PM

The true winner is kaopectate

Rob July 11, 2018 at 12:21 AM

Rob July 11, 2018 at 12:21 AM

Sams Club. Just having no lines wins my vote. Costco Concord is just a cattle call, and good luck on the parking, especially on weekends. If they would open up a Costco in WC, Lafayette or P. Hill would ease traffic a lot in Concord.

What July 11, 2018 at 4:15 AM

Sams, you get a bigger drink cup and as pointed out before, your choice of coke or pepsi products. Costco Antioch you need to be a member to purchase from the food court.

Mimi (original) July 11, 2018 at 10:01 AM

Costco, hands down!!

Me too July 11, 2018 at 2:56 PM

Costco is changing their menu to accommodate the changing trend in food consumption. Healthier choices. So, one day wife is absolutely pissed since the chop also fell on the BBQ beef sandwich she really liked. And of the healthy choices she tried, she didn’t much care for them.

And I prefer Sam’s pizza choices over Costco’s. Quality is about the same. In fact, I must say Costco/Sam’s pizzas are much better than most delivery pizzas I’ve had.

ConcordDad July 11, 2018 at 8:44 PM

I love Costco, even though I’ve never left without spending at minimum 200 bucks. I wouldn’t step foot in Sams Club, Wall-Mart is the demise of American and all it stands for. Nothing good comes from that company!