The Water Cooler – Too Many Television Channels?

June 21, 2018 12:00 pm · 35 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

Do you think there are too many television channels on cable? Also, if you had to choose three channels to watch for the rest of your life, which ones would you choose?

Talk about it….

Suzanne June 21, 2018 at 12:10 PM

I don’t think there’s too many – I think there’s too many duplicate. At least with comcast. I would keep PBS, Turner Classic Movies & Retro. And HGTV if they would bring back Fixer Upper. And Discover if they would bring back Dirty Jobs.

AnonZ June 21, 2018 at 12:28 PM

Yes. I could get away with:

Channel 2 news with Frank Somerville
History Channel
Travel Channel
TLC
National Geographic Channel
ID Channel

Suzanne June 21, 2018 at 1:01 PM

Frank is great! And Sal.

Foonman June 21, 2018 at 12:32 PM

The number of channels is misleading, as the same channel in HD is given a channel of its own in a lot of cases…..however, we could adjust to about half. As for the other question, One local, one conservative, one liberal news channel so I can ALL the misinformation from both sides…and make my own evaluations.

Foonman June 21, 2018 at 5:47 PM

PS: I don’t like paying for channels I don’t want and in languages I don’t speak.

TOB June 21, 2018 at 12:53 PM

Yes and no. I wish I could pass on foreign channels and/or duplicates of HD and Digital. If I had to live with only 3..

ESPN
Discovery
History

Mr. John June 21, 2018 at 12:59 PM

No, there are not too many, but the cost of Cable is too high relative to the benefit. As more streaming services form we’ll see cable drop in price to stay competitive.

My 3 would be ESPN, NFL and ABC.

Law Dog June 21, 2018 at 1:01 PM

Just one channel Fox News.

Dave June 21, 2018 at 3:59 PM

Hey, at least you’re honest. Most Fox viewers I know claim to get their news from a variety of sources, but whenever I’m in their house, it’s always on Fox News.

Well Folks June 22, 2018 at 8:53 AM

Law Dog – Fox lies like all American news outlets. You want truthful news check out BBC America. No left or right leaning just pure unbiased reporting. I have not watch an American national news outlet in 16 years. BBC America is no BS just truthful fact reporting

Helen June 21, 2018 at 1:12 PM

Bravo
E!
Channel 2 or 4 for news

Ricardoh June 21, 2018 at 1:33 PM

We only watch Netflix and many HD. channels. I would like to take all the channels we don’t watch off of the guide. Got rid of all the HBO type channels.

Pyrrhus June 21, 2018 at 1:50 PM

Cable? What’s that? I finally cut the cord last year. I have netflix, hulu, Amazon Prime, and an IPTV provider. Cost of all that is way below what I used to pay.

There is no such thing as there being too many channels. Choice is always better than no choice. The problem is you pay for channels you don’t want to pay for. However, I guarantee you that if they go to a pay per channel model you will end up paying more than you do now.

Roz June 21, 2018 at 1:56 PM

I agree, there’s too many duplicate.
If I had to pick 3:
Fox News ~ for news / info
CBS ~ for some shows
Food Network ~ I like to cook

Simonpure June 21, 2018 at 2:35 PM

Whats for dinner 🙂

Roz June 21, 2018 at 6:23 PM

Beef Stroganoff, plus Summer Squash from our yard.
Last night we has potatoes from our yard,..Yum!.

Lambie June 21, 2018 at 1:56 PM

There are not too many, but I wish I could filter out the channels I don’t like or have not suscribed to.

I think there is or was a way to setup Favorites, I’ll have to look for that option again.

Yikes! Only 3? Not possible! LOL 😂

WC Resident June 21, 2018 at 4:03 PM

@Lambie – Most TV sets have the ability to define which channels are available. Once you remove a channel then the TV set skips over it when surfing up/down through the channels.

Anontwo June 21, 2018 at 2:05 PM

Wave costs “wave” to much for the quality of the programming that they provide. We watch maybe 10 channels: CBS(KPIX), PBS, Discover, TCM, KTVU(less and less), Animal Planet, My wife watches, the Giants, 49ers, & Warriors, We rarely find anything on pay-for-view worth watching let alone paying for. We never use TV on demand. We bought a “smart” TV and when I figure out how to use Netflix, and Prime, we will use cable even less. The other day I displayed my Grandson’s baseball games from Cooperstown, NY. on Facebook from my laptop to the Smart TV.

Bob June 21, 2018 at 2:17 PM

Way too many foreign language channels and networks that have abandoned their focus (History, TLC, and Discovery for example).

No one cares about 600 lb transgenders or people living in swamps.

OverWhelmed June 21, 2018 at 3:15 PM

Way too many sports channels, news channels and foriegn channels. Out of the 50 or so channels we get, only 5 or 6 are worth watching.

Miller June 21, 2018 at 3:45 PM

I can watch anything on-demand or live from any location, 4 times cheaper than a cable subscription for a similar package. It doesn’t make financial sense to use Comcast Xfinity anymore. The signal has degraded so much with the X1 box that you’re paying for terrible looking DVR recordings.

Comcast Internet-Only: $55/mo
YouTube TV: $40/mo
HBO Add-on: $11/mo
Netflix: $14/mo
Amazon Prime Video: $8/mo
Hulu: $8/mo
Spotify: $10/mo
Pandora: $4/mo

Less than $100/mo after services that allow family sharing accounts. Even cheaper if you don’t need half the services above.

TOB June 22, 2018 at 10:24 AM

Signal comment is not fact but your personal experience (HUGE DIFFERENCE) whether bad wiring who knows. I have excellent signal far better than UVerse and Wave but again it’s location and wiring. Weather, age, so much goes into what you get. Location and distance impacts.. I have smart TV prime member and have netflix kinda tossed in free with a deal. More than enough programming and great signal for 129.00 internet/Programming. I too can watch from anywhere and do so frequently. No complaints.. Love my X1. Everyone wants my TV when they visit, picture is that amazing! Have to disagree with comment. Not saying you didn’t have this experience but can’t say it applies to all as mentioned many factors can affect signal to your home. Love my X1and TV!

chuckie the troll June 21, 2018 at 4:26 PM

I wouldn’t know. I haven’t watched broadcast/cable since 1992.

What The ?? June 21, 2018 at 4:37 PM

Nope, not too many as there’s still nothing to watch most the time.

3 would be hard, I’d go for:

CNN
HBO
Food Network

Dorothy June 21, 2018 at 4:55 PM

Remember when there were only 3? I do and I think there are too many now. They seem to take turns repeating the same movies and programs.

Shasta Daisy June 21, 2018 at 5:38 PM

Easy question.
I don’t watch TV.

Peay✌🏼📺

Captain Bebops June 21, 2018 at 6:39 PM

Cut the cable in 2013. I have Internet only and no antenna reception (in a valley). For most any network TV (except CBS) I have Hulu which also has some excellent “originals” like “The Handmaid’s Tale”. I also have the Showtime plugin on Hulu (costs less that that way). I have a 4K Roku TV and the Netflix 4K subscription. I sometimes buy a series that is on a “cable” network or wait about a year for it to come to Hulu or Netflix. I’m a horror fan so also have Shudder which has a lot of horror and sci-fi movies and series.

Tim June 21, 2018 at 8:59 PM

What don’t I watch!
Dropped Comcast after they arbitrarily kept raising the “fees” in addition to advertised prices. Guess those fee’s didn’t generate enough money to buy Fox. Comcast is so-yesterday.
Refused to pay “local sports fee’s” for multi-millionaire ball players I don’t watch and “broadcast fee’s”. Broadcast is just a cost of doing business! Comcast should have a lite version if it wants to be competitive.
Favorite channel is Netflix for movies and can stream news from many other sources.

Poster June 21, 2018 at 9:41 PM

Cable cutters unite!!
Do it today. You don’t need it. And where are the choices for internet service providers… Stop the monopoly.

Mimi (original) June 22, 2018 at 8:39 AM

I’m a cable baby. I worked in the cable industry in Southern California for 8 years and since we go everything for free I became addicted! My tv was on whenever I was in the house! My favorite, though, was the very early Weather Channel! It just played music and showed the temperature, the high and the low of the day, and the temps of other locales nearby. I appreciated the original Weather Channel so much more than today’s Weather Channel with all the “in depth” coverage, and history, and “articles” and non-stop talk, talk, talk!! Bring back the music!

Well Folks June 22, 2018 at 8:50 AM

Where I currently live I have the Charter Spectrum “silver” package & pay $84 a month which includes tax & local fees. This is a better package than I had with Wave and was paying $135 a month.

That being said I only watch about 10 channel. Since Charter Spectrum has no cancellation fees I’m going to check out what Sling has to offer as it appears they allow customers to cherry pick

Watcher June 22, 2018 at 3:30 PM

Do you mean like Netflix, Amazon and Hulu? Im not sure I understand the question.

Silva June 22, 2018 at 4:00 PM
Mr White June 23, 2018 at 1:48 PM

How about all educational channels are included in the basic package for free ? All the non English channels in a seprate la raza package, and make the rest ala cart , and the subscriber is allowed to pick and choose which stations are most important to them. Or give the subscriber blocks of 10, 20, 50 channel bundles of their own choosing to purchase.
It’s also bs that I have to pay more to subsidize those who ” can’t afford “ cable, I believe in equality and if you are giving it away, you give it away to everyone, if it’s 100$ a month, then it’s 100$ for everyone.