Concord Police Release Results Of Recent Willow Pass Rd. DUI Checkpoint

June 21, 2018 10:00 am · 31 comments

The Concord Police Department Traffic Unit conducted a DUI Checkpoint on June 15, at Willow Pass Rd. near Farm Bureau Rd. between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 3:00 a.m.

Results of the checkpoint are as follows:

• 421 Vehicles Screened
  • 0 DUI-Alcohol suspects arrested
  • 0 DUI-Drug impaired suspects arrested
  • 0 Arrested on other Criminal Charges

The checkpoint was funded by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, reminding everyone to ‘Report Drunk Driver – Call 9-1-1’.

Um..yeah... June 21, 2018 at 10:11 AM

So it did absolutely nothing? Gotcha.

Anonymous June 21, 2018 at 10:25 AM

DUIs happen at all times of the day.CPD should consider doing some during the day and on weekends. Other folks have and it’s been productive.

Rob June 21, 2018 at 10:31 AM

Ok – so yes, glad that not a single person was drunk driving – or at least didn’t happen to be driving on that one specific road in that 5-hour span of time…

But, is this really the best use of taxpayer dollars for law enforcement?

Delaying 421 sober drivers….

They announce these things ahead of time so any person who typically drives drunk can just plan out their drunk driving route to avoid this singular road at the aforementioned time span.

jan June 21, 2018 at 11:19 AM

You can’t actually believe that drunk drivers plan their route ahead of time!

donk June 21, 2018 at 11:59 AM

yes jan… you can

SameoldStuff June 21, 2018 at 10:38 AM

So 421 American’s had their 4th Amendment rights violated for no good reason.

“The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.”

I know, I know.

Do Sobriety Checkpoints Violate The 4th Amendment?

The Michigan State Supreme Court found that sobriety checkpoints violated the Fourth Amendment. However, in a split decision, the United States Supreme Court ruled that properly conducted checkpoints are legal, and reversed the Michigan Court’s decision.

The Supreme Court acknowledges that DUI roadblocks violate a fundamental constitutional right. However, Chief Justice Rehnquist argued in a majority opinion that sobriety checkpoints are justified because the state’s interest in reducing drunk driving outweighs the minor infringement on an individual’s rights.

Still violates the 4th.

Elwood June 21, 2018 at 12:56 PM

SCOTUS isn’t final because it’s right.

It’s right because it’s final.

Rollo Tomasi June 22, 2018 at 11:19 AM

I have my second amendment rights violated all the time for no good reason. I hope this causes you just as much outrage.

concord grape June 21, 2018 at 10:49 AM

If in fact they do announce ahead of time, what is the sense of having these checkpoints? Complete waste of time and money

Bob June 21, 2018 at 2:23 PM

They do that to get around the 4th Amendment.

Don’t want to be screened? Don’t go that way at that time.

LibertyIsLeaving June 21, 2018 at 11:10 AM

Amendment IV
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Anon June 21, 2018 at 11:21 AM

They write the grants because this is outstanding easy overtime.

Vandy June 21, 2018 at 11:28 AM

I applaud the CPD for conducting this checkpoint. I was stopped and checked. It took 15 seconds. The location was perfect for screening drivers headed east and trying to avoid freeways. I think that it was too close to Farm Bureau, though. A drunk driver on Willow Pass could see the checkpoint and turn away on Farm Bureau. It would be better to place it closer to Clayton Way next time.

Lo June 21, 2018 at 12:35 PM

They usually have cops on the side streets who watch for the “sudden left turns” onto them.

KinseyLeaky June 21, 2018 at 12:56 PM

Took 15 seconds?
I could have weapons, drugs and guns hidden in my car so they sure aren’t checking anything very well at all in 15 seconds. It takes longer than that to get your license, registration and proof of insurance out or did they not even ask for that.
15 second check point stop…no wonder they didn’t issue 1 violation!

Vandy June 21, 2018 at 3:49 PM

The officer just asked if I had been drinking. He did not ask for my license nor try to search my car.

Rollo Tomasi June 22, 2018 at 11:17 AM

Might want to brush up on your knowledge of the scope and limitations of these checkpoints. For one, Vandy wasn’t asked for those things because he/she wasn’t stopped for a violation.

Kentucky Derby June 21, 2018 at 11:33 AM

The whole idea of sobriety checkpoints is not to arrest people but deter people from committing DUI. I’m in favor of DUI checkpoints and saturation patrols for obvious reasons. I don’t care to have family and friends killed by a drunk driver – and I want drunk drivers off the road.

As far as a waste of taxpayer dollars. Everything these days is a waste of taxpayer dollars – and once again – I want drunks off the road.

DUI checkpoints can be frustrating, but for those of us who care about others (and not just ourselves) it’s worth it.

That one drunk (at any checkpoint) could be the person who kills your spouse or child. Food for thought at the funeral… that you hopefully won’t be attending.

donk June 21, 2018 at 11:58 AM

lol ok I love the CPD but come on guys 0 for 2 lately with checkpoints… Concord has a ton of good people now if you haven’t noticed. stop this checkpoint nonsense for now

Fred P. June 21, 2018 at 12:44 PM

Wonder why the “experts” in Constitutional Law are just hiding here behind their keyboards?

Elwood June 21, 2018 at 1:00 PM

See my reply to SameOldStuff.

KinseyLeaky June 21, 2018 at 12:52 PM

Excellent job!
Wait…actually why would it be an excellent job, not one ticket, arrest or vehicle towed, so the same results accomplished with no checkpoint.
So the point with this checkpoint and one weeks ago it was a bust (pun intended).
Yes many will say it is still a good job CPD but I don’t see it as that at all.

Anonymous June 21, 2018 at 1:45 PM

Elwood is again correct. I listen to people , particularly sovereigns ,declare things illegal. These are issues the Supreme Court has ruled on, which the sovereigns just ignore.

Note to sovereigns: just because something offends your delicate sensibilities doesn’t make it illegal.

Original G June 21, 2018 at 2:54 PM

Appears there were adequate bail out routes to avoid being stopped.
Wondering how many DUI arrests there are per month per capita, adjusted for city’s population, for Concord PD and Clayton PD ? ?

Kentucky Derby June 21, 2018 at 3:36 PM

DUI checkpoints aren’t supposed to be a “good deal” to the taxpayers any more than homeowners or auto insurance is supposed to be a “good deal” to the insured. Only very logical people will understand the equation.

Anon June 21, 2018 at 4:31 PM

So they’re concerned about public safety?

Here’s a thought…….go after cell phone users.
How many crashes are cell phone related??

Oh that’s right…..Nobody knows because they DO NOT KEEP RECORDS OF THOSE!!!

How Embarrassing.

KinseyLeaky June 21, 2018 at 5:29 PM

It’s not against any law to turn to avoid a checkpoint. Some cop wants to chase me down for doing that can be my guest as it will be fun to mess with him about me being harassed for avoiding a traffic jam. I’ve done it before many times and have never been chased down.

Ggee June 21, 2018 at 5:46 PM

Well, aren’t you the hero. Too bad you can’t see the bigger picture. Dealing with the public can be deadly at times. You’re one of the reasons I’d never become a cop. You’re probably not even old enough to drink anyway.

Marianne June 21, 2018 at 5:50 PM

I’ve said many times, how many checkpoints do you need to yield results. It’s really lack of results or folks turning off from the checkpoints.

Robert Akins June 22, 2018 at 7:42 AM

Sounds like they posted up at a spot where drunks can easily spot them and had numerous turn offs to choose from to avoid the check spot!

Uber June 22, 2018 at 1:05 PM

You can all thank Uber and Lyft for the decrease in people drinking and driving. The High cost of DUI did not do much.