Claycord Online Museum – The Old Tower Records Sign in Concord

June 21, 2018 16:00 pm · 19 comments

Look, it’s the old Tower Records sign on Willow Pass Rd. in Concord.

The building is now home to the Hobby Lobby fabric department.

Before it switched to Hobby Lobby, the building housed Rasputin Records for a few years.

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

NoMoreFreeRide June 21, 2018 at 4:10 PM

Indeed it is

Clayton Black Glove June 21, 2018 at 4:18 PM

Wow, I remember that. I even remember when red lobster was across the street. I was eating when a plane hit Macy’s

chuckie the troll June 21, 2018 at 4:25 PM

Bought vinyl and CD’s there, back in the day.

momo June 21, 2018 at 5:30 PM

Isn’t hobby lobby where good guys was? Same center just different spot

Cody June 21, 2018 at 6:43 PM

I believe they are using both stores

Nunya June 21, 2018 at 5:33 PM

Son: So you used to pay for music?
Dad: Yes son, in the past we had to.
Son: What about the Internet?
Dad: There was no Internet back then.
Son: Wow!

P.S. They had cassettes too!

Bill June 21, 2018 at 7:10 PM

That store had the worst customer service in the history of retail bar none. Lol. Employees working there absolutely hated their job, and it showed. It prided itself on being open until midnight 365 days a year.

What June 21, 2018 at 8:34 PM

Don’t forget the posters and head shop. I still have my how to grow marijuana book I purchased there.

ConcordKate June 21, 2018 at 10:55 PM

Standing in line to buy tickets to Day on the Green – check! Head shop & best place to buy incense – check!

Bob June 22, 2018 at 1:24 AM

Any idea what became of the sign?

Justifiable Languor June 22, 2018 at 7:00 AM

That store had the best selection of music. I found Mondo Hollywood music and KSAN samplers there. Bert Kaempfert, Sacthmo, Mancini. They had everything!

It even had a sound room for Modern Orchestra, Opera and Classical. And sheet music, if i remember correctly.

GregTheElder June 22, 2018 at 8:47 AM

Wasn’t Tower on Contra Costa Blvd at one point?

SDNick June 22, 2018 at 10:02 AM

Not sure about Tower, but Rasputin was on CoCo, moved to the Tower location for a few years, and moved back to its former location on CoCo where it’s still open today.

gkerr@astound.net June 22, 2018 at 12:02 PM

Wasn’t the original tenant was a hardware store like Simon? Tower Records was a smaller store to the left. The store had a large magazine rack with off the beaten path publications like aviation magazines. The clerks looked like alternate lifestyle types and hippies. There was a guitar shop on the other side at one time.

Cowellian June 22, 2018 at 12:50 PM

After Rasputin moved in, they wanted to put up their own sign, but the city wanted them to make changes. So, they kept the original Tower sign, and for a while, they hung a banner over it, but Tower still showed through. Eventually, the banner came down, leaving only the Tower sign.

Steven June 22, 2018 at 4:27 PM

Does anyone remember Warehouse Music on the border of concord and Clayton on Clayton rd? I think it’s a paint store now.

NoMusicNoLife June 23, 2018 at 6:07 PM

Worked there for 5 years in 1990s. Best job I ever had. We were and still are a family to this day. I loved shopping there before I ended up working there and after. Very much miss it but so thankful for the lifelong friendships I made there. Will always hold a special place in my heart.

JustMe June 24, 2018 at 12:48 PM

There was a Warehouse Music store in Clayton that’s now a credit union. Prior to that it was also a Blockbuster Video. Used to shop there all the time.

I was also a frequent customer at the Tower Store for both music and books. Never recall bad customer service, in fact I remember them helping me locate music based on lyrics. Back then, if they didn’t announce the song title on radio, you had NO IDEA who it was. Used to buy singles all the time.

It’s funny because Claycord reported that the sign for Tower was used LONG after Tower closed, by Rasputin Records when they were there. Anyone remember that? Since were going down memory lane, remember the Good Guys being next door?

Dr Jellyfinger June 24, 2018 at 4:18 PM

Wasn’t it called the “Wherehouse”