The First Day Of Kindergarten In 1958 At Gregory Gardens Elementary School In Pleasant Hill (VIDEO)

June 20, 2018 14:00 pm · 21 comments

Here’s something you don’t see too often – a video of the first day of kindergarten in 1958 at Gregory Gardens Elementary School in Pleasant Hill.

This video came from TJ Whetstone, who said “This is an 8mm movie my father Richard C. Whetstone shot of me in my first day of kindergarten at Gregory Gardens School in Pleasant Hill. I am the boy getting out of the 1958 VW bus. The lady in the video walking the little girl with the red dress is my grandmother Dorothy. The little girl, Debby Schupp is her daughter, my mother’s half sister. So even though we are the same age, she is my aunt.”

What a great video. Thanks so much to TJ for this fantastic trip back in time.

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

GregTheElder June 20, 2018 at 2:04 PM

I live near PHE. Our house was built in 1951.Sometimes when I’m sitting in the living room, I wonder about all the people who lived here before, and how they were sitting right where I am. Probably watching “I love Lucy” and eating Tuna casserole.

Pookie June 20, 2018 at 2:09 PM

What a great memory to have on video, most people do not have many videos or film from this era, documenting important memorable events such as this.

Darwin June 20, 2018 at 2:10 PM

Thanks for sharing. I went there in the 70s.

Baloo June 20, 2018 at 2:21 PM

Thank you for sharing Mr. Whetstone.

Chester K. Kitty June 20, 2018 at 2:22 PM

Love, love this video! Thanks for sharing! I was in Kindergarten in 1965 at Crawford Village Elementary in Concord.

No I Phones June 20, 2018 at 2:43 PM

Great video. Much simpler times, well behaved children.

Kirkwood June 20, 2018 at 2:54 PM

I still remember the names of my two kindergarten teachers from 1943, Miss Seeger and Miss Pratt who worked together in class.

As a side note, I also remember the smells coming from the cafeterias at every school from then to now, remain identical no matter what is being served that day.

Lena June 21, 2018 at 1:32 PM

Ours was the smell of grease.

Fred June 20, 2018 at 4:32 PM

I had that same yellow-brown checkered strip when I was young.

Larry June 20, 2018 at 6:13 PM

Wow beyond cool to have this video. I was in kindergarten the same year at Hillcrest elem.My teacher was Ms.Tracy she drove a pink 55 or 56 pink Thunderbird the year with a port hole rear window.

Thankful girl June 20, 2018 at 9:21 PM

Kinder gentler world… thank you so much for sharing!

NinjaNurse June 20, 2018 at 9:59 PM

Wow. thanks for sharing. Silly me…I was thinking I had the sound muted. oops. Love the dresses and the girl’s white purse.

Citizen June 20, 2018 at 10:27 PM

Th you for the historical video! .

old-school guy June 21, 2018 at 7:11 AM

I was born in September 1958. Now I know what life was like that year. I like how everyone took some effort to dress well. Can we bring back some of that civility?

prairiegirl June 21, 2018 at 7:44 AM

Thank you so much for starting my day with such a wonderful video! Everyone is so polite and nicely dressed, and the expressions on the kids’ faces are priceless. I would love to know where they are now. Maybe some of those in the video will check in and tell us. 🙂

DD June 21, 2018 at 8:06 AM

Started Kindergarten at Concord Elementary 1965.

Cool cat June 21, 2018 at 8:29 AM

Great memories of days gone by. I especially liked the happy faces from both parents and the children.

How cool to get to go to school in the famous VW bus….. If only the family kept that one – now worth a ton of $$$.

Thanks !

Cool Cat June 21, 2018 at 8:33 AM

Thanks for the 8mm great memories of days gone by! Happy faces from both the children and proud parents on this first big day.

How cool to go to school in the famous VW bus, if only the family kept that one it’s worth a ton of $$$ now! The VW may have come from Lee Bowman Motors in Concord!

Beautiful –

Noj June 21, 2018 at 12:21 PM

These are the kinds of things we love about Claycord and the Mayor.

Thank you and thanks to Mr. Whetstone for sharing. Just great.

Kirkwood June 21, 2018 at 2:19 PM

True. I find Claycord.com’s Online Museum one of the most enjoyable features.

ONIWY June 21, 2018 at 12:43 PM

Everyone does look nice, but one thing to remember is the amount of doing laundry it took to get this done. Hours of ironing every single week. Also, many women slept in curlers or pincurls. Ouch!