Crash Kills Driver, Seriously Injures Woman And Three Children

June 20, 2018 9:41 am · 28 comments

A man was pronounced dead at the scene of a traffic collision that also left a woman and three children with serious injuries Tuesday evening in Concord, according to police.

Officers responded to the scene of the crash on Concord Boulevard near Third Street around 6:38 p.m.

A 32-year-old woman was transported to a hospital as well as two 8-year-old children and a 10-month-old baby. They are all expected to survive, however.

Police are still investigating the cause of the collision, but drugs and alcohol are not thought to be factors.

They’re asking anyone who may have witnessed the incident to call Officer Ghaznawi at (925) 603-5931.

Dave June 20, 2018 at 9:53 AM

Very sad.

Suzanne June 20, 2018 at 9:55 AM

Oh how terrible! My heart goes out to them. RIP.

Ricardoh June 20, 2018 at 10:17 AM

How do you come up with a fetal accident on a city street between two cars without on of them speeding or no seat belts?

debdvo June 20, 2018 at 10:49 AM

said T-boned on news last night. Direct impact to victim will do it.

L June 20, 2018 at 10:51 AM

From pictures that were posted on kron4, grey suv drove into drivers side of the other car.
Rip and condolences to man’s family

sgdsg June 20, 2018 at 10:58 AM

Lots of ways. The speed limit in that stretch of road is 35, so ill assume most drivers are going 40. Im not sure what happened, but if the driver was crossing Concord from 3rd and was t boned, even with seat belts and airbags, a fatality wouldnt be a surprise. Sorry for friends and family, and to all the people who were there to try to help, its not easy being part of a situation like that.

Keep all three barrels up June 20, 2018 at 12:45 PM

sgdsg, I have to correct you. Most drivers are driving 45-50.

sgdsg June 21, 2018 at 2:05 AM

Keep all three barrels up… unless you have actual numbers from traffic speed studies from the city or county, I disagree. I drive this street 20x a day (for work) and usually go 35 to 40. Most people drive the same speed or less with the occasional jerk who hauls ass.

Clam Bake June 20, 2018 at 12:24 PM

Having been T-Boned – on passenger side (I was passenger) – with my toddler in seat behind me – safe in car seat – I was very injured. I was a passenger – and real estate agent was driver. He failed to yeald – (at left hand turn (yeald on green)). A young lady ran into us at 30 mph. The real estate agent did not have air bags (for passenger) – so I was head injured, and my low back has never really recovered – I eventually had to have surgery. No I don’t take RX – they won’t give out pain medication – even for those with permanent damage. My daughter was OK – thanks to my properly installing car seat. Please be careful out there.

concord ygnacio June 20, 2018 at 4:14 PM

Clam Bake: how can a car have driver side airbags but not passenger? They must have had them but they were defective??

Aylarja June 20, 2018 at 10:37 PM

concord ygnacio, for cars built in the 1990s, when airbags were becoming standard equipment, it was not uncommon to have a driver’s side airbag only.

Pleasant Hill Dweller June 20, 2018 at 11:10 PM

When airbags were first included in cars, they were only in the steering wheel for the driver.

Simonpure June 21, 2018 at 12:16 PM

Some cars (like mine) have a key switch to turn off the passenger airbags. I don’t know why, just always assumed it was for car seats.

tommy June 20, 2018 at 12:38 PM

i was talking to a resident in one of the houses across from this and he said the driver was heading westward down Concord Blvd and attempting to turn left over double yellow lines into a driveway. Par blinded by sun the SUV turned left into the oncoming eastbound lane causing the deceased driver to swerve right at the last instant T-boning into the SUV’s front right bumper. The SUV was in pretty good shape for what it’s worth although the other car was in a U shape with the direct impact in the driver’s door area. So very sad. Speed may have been a factor, too. I’ve seen too many near fatal accidents in the two-block zone of this accident. It’s an extremely busy stretch with a pedestrian crossing in the middle in in direct line with the setting sun in the afternoons. I wish there was a way to calm the speed and distraction in this area.

Anon June 20, 2018 at 3:30 PM

That has been a bad intersection right into a tight turn with everyone speeding.

Janet June 20, 2018 at 4:22 PM

I totally agree with sdgsg, ppl are driving more then 40-50. If we are driving 40. We r too slow.

R June 20, 2018 at 6:33 PM

Twice today I saw jaywalkers crossing across Concord Blvd. from the Safeway store. Those eastbound cars come off of Sunset going very fast with a sort of half blind curve. The jaywalkers ran right into the curve. I actually gasped. I thought someone might be killed. Concord Blvd. is a horrible, dangerous place during rush hour. Full of aggressive, speeding drivers who use Concord Blvd. as a cut through to get to Bailey Rd. or Kirker Pass. They live in East County. I almost never see a cop on Concord Blvd. during rush hour.

Keep all three barrels up June 20, 2018 at 7:06 PM

Agree with you R. Concord Blvd. is a freaking racetrack. Only time I ever see motors on Concord B. is way down by KirkerPass. Please can we get some police out there and give out some speeding tickets.

crandall June 21, 2018 at 2:14 PM

BINGO…when motor cops enforce on Concord Blvd, they almost always set up somewhere between Ayers and Denkinger, and they’re on the “northeast” side of Concord Blvd, so they’re snagging people who are heading west into Concord. I’m not saying these people shouldn’t get tickets, but let’s see some enforcement on the OTHER side of the street, and further west on Concord Blvd in the area where this crash occurred.

anon June 21, 2018 at 7:11 AM

“blinded by sun the SUV turned left into the oncoming eastbound lane causing the deceased driver to swerve right at the last instant T-boning into the SUV’s front right bumper”

************ see many without sunglasses every day..they cost $1.00 @ Dollar Tree…to many people have no clue what they are doing

prairiegirl June 21, 2018 at 7:55 AM

This may not have been the case here, but I see drivers running red lights almost every day–lights that have not just changed, but have been red for a long time. We all need to take care in starting when our light turns green, and look both ways twice to be sure no one is coming. The general disregard for the laws is putting us all in danger. PLEASE be cautious, especially when the sun may be blinding you or the other driver!

CalOldBlue June 21, 2018 at 8:17 AM

At 6:38 cars westbound on Concord Blvd would be looking at the setting sun, slightly to the right of the direct line of CB.

Neighborly June 21, 2018 at 12:41 PM

Sassy June 21, 2018 at 10:09 AM

I’ll make this short Concord Blvd is more like a freeway, some days it’s a Race Track… I know I live on Concord Blvd between Bailey & Ayers and it’s like living on the freeway ….. Sad to say but I am surprised there are not more accidents. It use to be a great street but now it’s like Hwy 4!!!
Something needs to be done, there has already been a fatality right at the preschool …. really all I need to say I live it everyday

Warrior for the oxford comma June 21, 2018 at 10:27 AM

I’m glad you know where you live.

Rsk June 21, 2018 at 10:09 AM

I live on concord Blvd & everyone speeds up & down this street 24/7!!!! It’s a raceway & no one slows down even with blinker on turning into my driveway! It’s ridiculous!!! I constantly hear honking & yelling when turning into driveway like I’m causing a problem. It’s insane!!!

crandall June 21, 2018 at 2:04 PM

I’ve complained to the city for YEARS about this very stretch of Concord Blvd but they do not give a ****. All over this dumb city we have “traffic calming” with speed tables/bumps, roundabouts, etc., and flashing signs at crosswalks. Yet here there is a crosswalk on Concord Blvd between 2nd & 3rd, uncontrolled as there are no stoplights, and no warning lights of any kind for pedestrians crossing FIVE lanes of traffic. Throw in those permanent, approx 3′ high flexible white “dividers” which partially obstruct an eastbound driver’s view and the sun which a real *****, and it’s a friggin MIRACLE that to best of my knowledge no pedestrian has been killed. Yet. At the VERY LEAST that crosswalk should have the flashing yellow lights like you see on Cowell at the Canal Trail crosswalk.

To make matters worse, the people eastbound on CB are usually FLYING, especially those coming from that hairpin ‘S’ curve as Sunset merges into CB, idiots like to “slingshot” themselves out of that turn, especially to try and beat any traffic to their left, i.e. vehicles that were already on CB coming from the lights at Port Chicago. Multiple times I have seen traffic stopped for a pedestrian in the crosswalk, but then cars coming from Sunset don’t pay ANY attention to the fact there are vehicles stopped, as in “hey, I wonder why they’re stopped, hey does it have anything to do with that crosswalk???”..nope, one or sometimes two cars will blow right through. And then it’s a real party when those Sunset-to-Concord Blvd drivers want to make a LEFT turn at 2nd or 3rd, again many do not give the slightest ****, THEY are super important and HAVE to make THAT left turn, no way can they go up a street or two then backtrack…HELL NO.

rick June 21, 2018 at 9:41 PM

im surprised no one mentioned all the morons driving with %90 of their attention to their pacifiers (phones). whenever there is an accident report, its mentioned weather drugs or alcohol is involved. obviously accidents have been happening since cars were invented, but look around (if you are not already starring at your pacifier. you would be astonished at the percentage of people paying more attention to “it” then the road