The Water Cooler – Neighborhood Watch

June 18, 2018 12:00 pm · 27 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday in the noon hour.

Do you keep an eye on your neighbor’s house? Also, if you ever see anything suspicious, would you or have you ever called the police?

Talk about it….

Simonpure June 18, 2018 at 12:06 PM

Sure do. Have a great view of most of my neighbors. Have only called law enforcement one time on someone dumping a stolen vehicle. Other reports have been made on-line for minor annoyances.

NoMoreFreeRide June 18, 2018 at 12:11 PM

Always!

Kentucky Derby June 18, 2018 at 12:17 PM

Absolutely. We all keep an eye on each other. I’m not one to call the police (never really had a reason to) but if I did, I would call.

Anon June 18, 2018 at 12:18 PM

Yes, we all have to keep an eye out since we have a “Ghost ship” house in the neighborhood ~ some loser has turned every room in their house into rentals which attracts riff-raff and losers.
Of course the City refuses to do anything due to the fact that the Mayor and everyone on the City Council own rentals and they do not want there to be any oversights on the rentals.
Totally the wild west……and homeowners are all paying the price.

Curious June 19, 2018 at 8:43 AM

Which neighborhood are you speaking of

Phil June 18, 2018 at 12:21 PM

We have a watch program. We attended a police training session and have the neighborhood registered. WQe have the official sign. We set up a texting and telephone tree so we can notify each other of vacations, absences, package arrivals, open doors, etc. Qe work together to keep our neighborhood safe.

Dorothy June 18, 2018 at 12:29 PM

Yes and yes. And the neighbors do the same,sometime even going house to house to tell about something.

Barbie Girl June 18, 2018 at 12:36 PM

Just call me Mrs Kravitz.

S June 19, 2018 at 8:00 AM

Careful, you’re aging yourself 🙂

RatherNot June 18, 2018 at 12:37 PM

Depends what neighbor we’re talking about, the ones on my right, yes! Awesome neighbor. The ones on the left F NO, I hope someone would, they straight A$$h*@l$$!!

Kirkwood June 18, 2018 at 12:44 PM

Yes, in fact just this morning I mentioned to my neighbor that a pet sitter will be looking in on my cat while I’m out of state. Neighbor also keeps a key.

Alarm CCTV Edge June 18, 2018 at 12:50 PM

Our street pitched in on a video surveillance system that I installed several years ago and thankfully we have only had to use it a few times. It’s a good practice to error on the side of caution, and have a neighborhood call down list if you see suspicious activity at a house. If it’s REALLY suspicious then call local authorities first.

Cellophane June 18, 2018 at 1:03 PM

Yup to all.

Nutcreek Frontier June 18, 2018 at 1:18 PM

All the time, we have setup a neighborhood watch. Also, living near a middle school, we have to call MDUSD security all the time, people love to break into schools, drink there, set off fireworks there, you name it.

Roz June 18, 2018 at 1:44 PM

There’s a group of us neighbors who keep an eye on our area of the hood.
Plus we have a small group of Seniors (80 yrs.+) in the hood, everyone looks after. We also call each other or in to police, if need be.

Clayton Squirrel June 18, 2018 at 2:38 PM

Yes and yes! We all know each other too. Our neighborhood has several yearly get togethers which helps us bond and catch up with each other as well. My husband is a Mrs. Kravitz and even goes out the front door if he hears voices after dark. Poor swim team coaches had no chance of secret deliveries on our porch at night.

Elwood June 18, 2018 at 2:38 PM

Yes and yes

Palermo June 18, 2018 at 3:56 PM

Always

Bob June 18, 2018 at 6:33 PM

Always make eye contact with unfamiliar people I pass by in my hood.

Not aggressive, not accusatory, just let them know you see them.

Consumer B June 18, 2018 at 6:46 PM

Funny , I have a neighbor who is always in everyone’s business. Then when something happened in the neighborhood, he was not no where to be found.

Best to be kind to your neighbors because they know where you live

Steph June 18, 2018 at 7:24 PM

One of my neighbors (retired) used to sit in front of his condo unit watching everything that went on-we called him our sheriff. I’m home most days now and do watch the comings and goings. Haven’t had a lot of crime in our area, but I did call the police the other day. Some woman was sitting on the bench in front of my neighbor’s unit moaning loudly like she was in pain. I wasn’t about to approach her as I didn’t know if it was drugs or what. (she wasn’t someone who lives here) As I watched and waited for the police, she doubled over many times and eventually fell on her head onto the pavement. She refused to get up off the ground when the cops asked her to and they eventually called an ambulance. Don’t know what happened to her, but hopefully she got some help.

ScanMan June 18, 2018 at 7:42 PM

My wife and I have called police numerous times. PHPD always come out quickly. A few years ago we heard a lady yell from down the street. I stepped outside and a male teen goes running by with a purse. I took off after him. He threw the purse down and kept running. I chased him for about 5 blocks but he stayed about 50 ft in front of me. I’m 6’4″ and 240lbs, not built for speed. I was yelling purse snatcher and pointing the whole time. Bystanders were helpful. He was almost run over twice as we zigzagged across the street. He finally fell on the sidewalk exhausted and stayed down as the police were rolling up. I told the police I had him in my sight from the time he threw the purse down to when they got there. He was the one who grabbed the purse. They thanked me and gave me a ride home. He was a 15 year old from Vallejo that said he needed bus fare to get back home. What a Jerk!

PH Fan June 18, 2018 at 8:05 PM

Yes and always watching.

AnonZ June 19, 2018 at 6:01 AM

I don’t have many front facing windows, but heck yeah, I do pay attention.

I did confront someone who was stealing off my neighbor’s porch. Got pics, license plate and called police.

R June 19, 2018 at 8:26 AM

I’ve called the police when I’ve seen a stranger climbing over a neighborhood fence. They took so long to arrive, I had to go before they got here. I’ve called when really shady solicitors knock on the door and can’t give a straight answer as to who they are soliciting for. The police never came. Several neighbors called when we had a party house on our street. Teenage boys who had a mother who left them alone while she slept with her boyfriend in Antioch were a chronic problem. We were told it was low priority. The police sometimes took 2 or 3 hours to show up. Don’t get me started on Code Enforcement. The same rental where the teenage boys lived has turned into an illegal car repair shop. Code Enforcement does nothing.

Sweet June 19, 2018 at 9:02 AM

Yes I do. Trade keys and alarm codes with neighbors. Very wonderful neighbors. I reported a suspicious RV on my street and blew a police stake-out. Oh well. Very aware of who belongs and who doesn’t.

Redstorm16 June 19, 2018 at 11:30 AM

I think the CPD is tired of me calling BUT….we are slowly clearing out the drinkers and druggies that park on the street next to our house. Sierra Road down towards Fox has the culvert on one side and people park there ALL the time making drug deals, drinking (and leaving a mess) and doing drugs…and some other sketchy rated X stuff. Usually by the time the CPD can get there..the cars have moved on. I sure wish a regular patrol would come by more often. In our neighborhood we look out for everyone. We all know each other and several of us notify the others if we are going to be gone.