The Water Cooler – One Business You Wish We Had Two Of, and One Business You Wish We Had Fewer Of

June 15, 2018 12:00 pm · 37 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

What is one business you wish we had two of, and one business you wish we had fewer of (in Claycord)?

Talk about it….

Hill June 15, 2018 at 12:15 PM

One of any fast food place, McDonald’s, Burger king , any .
Two Costcos, maybe seconded on Arnold by lows.

Concord Mike June 15, 2018 at 12:28 PM

We need a second Pixie Playland.

We need less
Liquor stores
Smoke shops
Hooka Lounges
Cash for Gold

Wasserman June 15, 2018 at 12:30 PM

How about just one Olive Garden?

TOB June 15, 2018 at 12:54 PM

One more Deli

One less Starbucks

Captain Bebops June 15, 2018 at 12:55 PM

We need more than two or three Internet providers then we might get real competition.

Dawg June 15, 2018 at 12:57 PM

A local Walmart would be nice, since the closest one is in Martinez.
We could use fewer 7-Elevens. On a two mile stretch of Monument Blvd there are four 7-Elevens.

8066 June 15, 2018 at 1:02 PM

We need a Noah’s Bagels in Concord.

Mr. Fixit June 15, 2018 at 1:41 PM

House of Bagels in downtown Concord is better than Noah’s, in my opinion.

S June 15, 2018 at 1:13 PM

Two decent Q-Joints (no the few locals are not great) and Less Starbucks……….

Lovelace June 15, 2018 at 10:26 PM

Have you tried Beaver Creek Smokehouse in Martinez?
I have highly recommend them.

S June 16, 2018 at 7:37 AM

Oh forgot about them, Beaver Creek is ok. I’d say 7 of 10 stars. Another poster mentioned Everett & Jones. Ever since they expanded from their original little shop on San Pablo Avenue, they’ve gone down hill; lost the “personal” touch of BBQ. Other than my back yard, best place in the greater area to me is JR’s in Sacramento. Now I’m hungry!

Kirkwood June 16, 2018 at 4:01 PM

So “Q” means barbecue? It looked like your topic was marijuana. 🙂

S June 17, 2018 at 4:39 AM

Oh no my friend Kirkwood. The only thing people should be smokin’ is a brisket, a few rack-o-ribs, or a nice tri-tip. (Double Smiley Face!)

Justyfiable Languor June 17, 2018 at 7:03 AM

I am so glad I didn’t mention CBD oil. Which is a smokeless, high free medicinal for many things.

Silva June 17, 2018 at 7:29 AM

I didn’t know E&J had expanded. Sadly the original location is shuttered now. We used to live very close by, and I can’t forget the time my blue eyed Germanic first husband came home with the food and commented that the big surly looking lady of few words with the cleaver looked at him like she might easily throw him on the block and chop him up too.

Bob Wiley June 19, 2018 at 7:43 PM

Slow Hand in Pleasant Hill is amazing. They’re opening one in Martinez soon…

Reason June 15, 2018 at 1:50 PM

I would love a real “health food” restaurant. We don’t have anything like that around here. I’d love a Wahoo’s Fish Taco. We don’t need any more fast food places.

GregTheElder June 15, 2018 at 1:51 PM

I don’t think we need four fast food joints at every intersection.

Wouldn’t mind a cannabis club locally so i don’t have to drive all the way to Berkeley for a little buddha.

Gititogether June 15, 2018 at 1:53 PM

MORE…
Since it is forced upon us, we deserve (several) conveniently located can and bottle recycling centers
Another Safeway (or competitor) rebate gas station
LESS…
Strip malls

Citizen June 15, 2018 at 1:56 PM

We need fresh seafood restaurants and markets!
We need a very good steakhouse! (Better than Black Angus)
We need more hardware stores like Ames that was Martinez/Pleasant Hill!
We need more art supply stores!
We need good book stores!
Less fast food restaurants! Less car dealerships! We need a new mall to replace Sunvalley Mall.
Less gas stations!

JazzMan June 15, 2018 at 5:51 PM

Agree we need fresh seafood, bookstores. Black Angus closed, so, yeah we need a good steakhouse.

Silva June 15, 2018 at 2:07 PM

Fewer: 1)Cash for Gold places 2)Starbucks.

Another: 1)Peet’s Coffee & Tea

Stove June 15, 2018 at 2:35 PM

We need less Starbucks and section-8/low income housing.
We need more high quality non-chain restaurants.

Campdakota June 15, 2018 at 2:59 PM

Less chain type businesses. More independent entities such as bakeries, restaurants, butchers, grocers, boutiques, hobby stores, restoration/salvage places… take out pasta place, pie shop, a real ice cream parlor!

RANDOM TASK June 15, 2018 at 2:59 PM

in the spirit of the question I defer to

I wish we had 2 politicians that actually cared and did their jobs to better society and not destroy it as the party dictate

a far as fewer business ….I wish we had fewer political paper weights whos job is to be minions and do the senators bidding to decapitate this state

to finish we need 2 dmv’s one for people who know what they are doing

the rest can use diamond blvd dmv

we need to lose anyone who votes for more taxes ….until all the taxes we are paying are shown by politicians as to where the money is going and tell us why it is not done and why they refuse to do it and why school money is being stolen to support illegals …..answer the questions de slacker or read my lips no new taxes ….don’t tread on us …..we are tired and old or just poor either way I don’t want to be on welfare bucket or train or scam or support it

Lo June 15, 2018 at 3:53 PM

Need:
An Everett and Jones BBQ
A Dave and Buster’s would be great

Need fewer:
Starbucks

Selkie June 15, 2018 at 5:55 PM

I agree, less starbucks, but I would be ok with a family owned coffee/tea shop, something unique.

escapehatch June 15, 2018 at 5:00 PM

Fewer Propositions on the ballot. No matter how good they sound, there is always a hidden paragraph that gives an unfair advantage to whoever is paying for it.

More courteous checks that take a genuine interest in helping you.

Selkie June 15, 2018 at 5:52 PM

We need one more Blick’s art supply store (closest is berkeley) and one less Buttercup restaurant; poor food quality, bad customer service and way overpriced.

Consumer B June 16, 2018 at 3:12 PM

Buttercup Restaurant is a bit on the pricey side. I like that they have a bar. They should think about having a KARAOKE night at Buttercup. Utilize the unused outside part of the restaurant.

Chubby June 15, 2018 at 6:01 PM

I’d trade one more Indian restaurant for one less real estate agent always coming around and trying to be my friend but strangely trying to convince me to leave the area. It’s a strange sales pitch – “this is such a wonderful neighborhood and your house is adorable! You should sell and look for somewhere else to live!”

Ricardo June 15, 2018 at 8:51 PM

Arby’s & reasonable fresh fish place

Caskydiver June 16, 2018 at 9:26 AM

Less fast food places and more shooting ranges.

Coggins Square June 16, 2018 at 9:39 AM

I wish we could have Wawa convenience stores in this area. For those who are not aware, Wawa is a convenience store chain in the Mid Atlantic region of the Eastern United States, with stores in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia. Since Florida has so many Mid Atlantic transplants, they have also set up shop in Florida, and perhaps with a fair number of Md Atlantic transplants in the Bay Area and California they could set up shop here.

I wish there could be fewer 711s in the area. We have too many of them, and their stores are disgusting, and have poor service.

Living downtown June 16, 2018 at 8:42 PM

We need two Aldi grocery stores and fewer fast food restaurants.

Jeff June 16, 2018 at 9:22 PM

Another concord Costco, less Cvs.

Sharon June 17, 2018 at 11:03 PM

Wish we had an Islands restaurant up here.