MUST WATCH – Rattlesnake Mad About Being Moved Off Trail At Briones

June 15, 2018 8:00 am · 20 comments

Watch this video. This rattler was just a little upset when Gary moved him off the trail at Briones Regional Park this week.

A good reminder to always be aware of your surroundings.

Thanks to Gary Lawhon for capturing the moment.

Dawg June 15, 2018 at 8:11 AM

The snake wasn’t mad, the snake was scared. How’d you like to get poked around with a stick?

Gary June 15, 2018 at 8:50 AM

Great video 😉

On a serious note, when we find snakes deeper in the parks that are not posing immediate risks to people or pets we leave them be, as should everyone. Since this one was at the entrance, where people, kids, and pets just take off running through the gate, he was moved for public safety.

This was a very calm rattler and didn’t mind being moved. There is a big difference between aggressive snakes and this one in the video. An aggressive snake will coil, not give up ground and aggressively strike at anything and everything, sometimes hurling venom all over the place. Don’t worry, venom will not hurt you if it gets on your skin.

ps. They don’t strike 12 feet, as you can hear someone say in the video 🙂

Be safe out there!

Trucker Bug June 15, 2018 at 8:55 AM

Brace soul. My video would have been a little different. You would have heard a girl screaming and and seen me run away

Bex June 17, 2018 at 7:00 PM

LOL! Mine too!!

Suzanne June 15, 2018 at 8:59 AM

He kept his cool pretty well at first. Hopefully didn’t waste any of his venom when he finally got angry. He needs it to catch prey.

Jo June 15, 2018 at 9:00 AM

Not only did this guy move him off the trail, for some reason, he felt that he had to keep poking and moving him. He could have just walked on by and left it alone. Totally unnecessary.

Gary June 15, 2018 at 10:19 AM

What appears to you as unnecessary may appear as not doing nearly enough to others with children or small pets.

In a perfect world, this snake would have been relocated deeper in the park away from the entrance, away from the day use area where kids play. They are not fragile little bunnies.

Law Dog June 15, 2018 at 9:05 AM

Poor thing was kicking back taken in the sun, I would be mad too.

Jojo Potato June 15, 2018 at 10:07 AM

Yeah, just leave me alone. Go drive your earth destroying vehicle on the road and stay off my trail. I was here first!

tennis reid June 15, 2018 at 10:16 AM

Nice job relocating the rattler. Rather have you gently move it than have others in danger or worse, others beating the snake for being a snake. Rattlers are part of our communities and we all need to better understand how to live with them.

Gary June 15, 2018 at 10:26 AM

Thanks! I hate to interrupt nature doing it’s thing, but because of the dangers where he was located it was in everyone’s best interest for him to move along.

Captain Concord June 15, 2018 at 11:56 AM

Gently tossing some gravel or small stones at them from a distance is quite a bit safer than poking them with a stick; and just as effective.

jtkatec June 15, 2018 at 12:09 PM

Typical rattler. Coming across a gopher snake, they see human and say I’M OUTTA HERE.

Rattler says, Go around me, Human!

Silva June 15, 2018 at 12:21 PM

It’s a very pretty snake. He got why you wanted him out of his glorious sun spot, but he drew the line at the tree.

WC Resident June 15, 2018 at 12:28 PM

At this time of the year rattlesnakes are rarely by themselves and so be extremely careful when looking for and picking up a stick to move a snake like they did in the video. If I can’t find a long stick I’ve found that splashing water at them makes them turn around and leave.

Love mountain June 15, 2018 at 4:51 PM

That was really really unnecessary and dangerous
Leave wild life alone
This is how you get bitten

Concord Guy June 15, 2018 at 8:37 PM

Unnecessary annoyance. My take is that this activity was done for benefit of the video.

Stop look and listen June 16, 2018 at 11:07 PM

Of it weren’t for this story we could be reading about a hiker that got bit by this snake.
With leaves and stick and the sun’s glare a person could end up stepping on a snake because it visible. It’s happened at least one time I know of.
What’s more important a person’s safety of a snakes comfort? Let me think?

WC Resident June 17, 2018 at 10:52 AM

@Love mountain, Concord Guy, etc.

Snakes get moved for their safely. If the snake is out in the boonies then most people will ignore it.

Snake bites are very rare. A snake will usually only bite if it gets cornered and then it’s as a defensive “back off!” move.

Hiker guy June 17, 2018 at 6:14 PM

I’m grateful for this person for taking the video. I’ve been through that entrance over 200 times with my dogs and never considered a rattlesnake could be near there. It will keep me alert and better protect my pets. Thank you!