Claycord – Talk About Whatever

June 15, 2018 19:10 pm · 69 comments

whatever

Happy Friday to all the wonderful citizens in the City of Claycord.

This is a post with no subject, you can talk about whatever you want. If breaking news happens (such a shooting, earthquake, etc.), or you hear about something newsworthy, feel free to post it here.

Please Note: Users who use multiple names will be deleted. Please choose a name so others can easily chat with you. Users must provide a name in the ‘name field’, please do not use the ‘@’ symbol in the name field.

KAD June 15, 2018 at 7:11 PM

First…..

Antler June 17, 2018 at 9:38 AM

Well, I’ll be a left-footed crow….. you DID it again!!! 😄

Jojo Potato June 17, 2018 at 11:50 AM

“Left footed crow”? Never heard that before. Please explain.

Antler June 18, 2018 at 8:44 AM

It’s in the same bucket as “two-feathered hippopotamus”, “concrete pillowcase”, any other silly combo you like.
C’mon, give it a try! 😄

wave June 15, 2018 at 7:11 PM

Wave first again….

Happy Father’s Day to all fathers out there!!!

Mr.Wonderful June 15, 2018 at 7:15 PM

LAST!!!!

Antler June 15, 2018 at 7:16 PM

It says “0 comments”!
Does that mean I can just walk in here and claim to be first???
But…. but… but … Cowellian can REALLY be first, please.

Cowellian June 15, 2018 at 7:25 PM

Cowellian’s first!

Dorothy June 15, 2018 at 7:33 PM

No book report again but I’m still going through all the Mrs. Pollifax books, just 3 more to go. These are fun reads.

A while back I went to the Lost the Lawn, Get a Garden presentation. Started a section of my lawn with mulch under cardboard. It really hasn’t gotten hot enough for long enough to kill the lawn under it. And the wind keeps trying to carry the cardboard away. Today I pulled up some of the cardboard and put down newspaper over the mulch and then put a thick layer of mulch on top. I know newspaper can do the job that way because several years ago I did something like that in my back yard because of weeds. So my fingers are crossed that it will work again out front.

KAD June 15, 2018 at 8:04 PM

I was last and first. Twofer!!!!!!!!

Cowellian June 15, 2018 at 10:39 PM

Ahem!

Antler June 18, 2018 at 8:46 AM

Is there a referee in the house?

KAD June 19, 2018 at 10:52 PM

Yes, Cowellian is always first.

Hawaii Lover June 15, 2018 at 8:10 PM

I’m saddened to see all the destruction and trauma in the Puna area of the Big Island of Hawaii due to the latest eruption of Kilauea. I’m surprised at the minimal news coverage that we have here on the mainland. They’ve lost between 600-700 homes, it’s been declared a FEMA disaster, many have lost everything, and yet we hear and read very little on the news.

KAD June 15, 2018 at 10:13 PM

I agree. The news media has a short attention span.

Silva June 16, 2018 at 6:52 AM

My grandson and I have been watching lava videos together for several years. This isn’t going unnoticed by us. We suddenly have so much more than ever before, and the beauty of it is astonishing. I too feel terribly sorry for all those who’ve lost everything, and those who can never go back, not to mention the displaced wildlife. Yet it always was a gamble. They were aware of the risk, but hoped it wouldn’t happen in their lifetimes. In hindsight those areas shouldn’t have ever been developed. There’s often a good reason for cheap real estate in absolute paradise.

Kentucky Derby June 16, 2018 at 9:38 AM

I’m saddened by the loss too, but I don’t blame the media. The media reports what they want to report. They’re in the ratings business.

brinke June 15, 2018 at 8:15 PM

This message is to “Dawg” – I’m unsure if you’ll see this post but we wanted to make you an offer. 🙂 I remember a few months ago you mentioned shopping for inexpensive VHS players to keep around for watching VHS tapes. We have three Sony DVD / VHS players (also records on VHS) with their remotes that we would like to give you if you would like them. Please let us know either way if you would in the next week. Thanks!

Consumer B June 16, 2018 at 3:03 PM

I have TV to go along with the VHS player . It’s not a digital TV, but it’s good for playing VHS and video games and it’s Free.

Jessica June 15, 2018 at 8:31 PM

When I call the city to trip the trees…that are a hazard to the street and the kids on the playground when trucks drive by….as well as just being annoying when pulling in and out of the parking lot….I get a response that makes it would like they will be out soon………ITS BEEN over 3 weeks
Still trees overgrown and unsafe?
Is there a list I have to get one for them to be trimmed regularly?

J. June 15, 2018 at 10:43 PM

Do you get a tracking number by using the Concord Connect app for your Smartphone?

Scoob June 16, 2018 at 7:33 AM

Please don’t litter!

BOOYAH! June 16, 2018 at 9:22 AM

Atticus? I’m dyin’ here!

Atticus. Thraxx June 16, 2018 at 10:24 AM

No list, sorry. Traveling. Be well!

foothillsguy June 16, 2018 at 6:33 PM

That’s no excuse, I need my Saturday morning fix ! I always look forward to your posts.

jtkatec June 18, 2018 at 1:39 PM

Shucks and darn

Jojo Potato June 16, 2018 at 1:32 PM

Did you notice that yesterdays announcers from the world cup match in Sochi are now suddenly in Kaliningrad? Supersonic Soviet transport? No, Fox announcers in LA watching the same TV feed you are. LOL!

Consumer B June 16, 2018 at 3:23 PM

Does it seem to be very windy lately??
I don’t recall it being this windy in past years, what’s going on?

Anon June 16, 2018 at 8:28 PM

ConsumerB,
This is not normal and it seems a lot more windy than 22mph, which the forecast has reported the last two Saturdays.
I’m considering buying a wind generator 🙂

Silva June 17, 2018 at 7:44 AM

I can’t say it hasn’t been like this before, but it doesn’t seem all that normal. I’ve been waiting at 2 or 3 months for a couple of calm days to spread lawn fertilizer, and set up my tent to renew the waterproofing. There have been a couple of calm days (and not together), but It was either too hot for me to be inside a tent or I was busy. I hope I get to it by September. At least the temperatures are nice and cool, and we’re still having a Spring this year. I don’t like it much when we go directly from Winter to Summer, and the tender new sprouts and the flowers fry.

Original G June 16, 2018 at 3:49 PM

What the heck is goin’ on USDA Forest Service aircraft converging on top of Willow Pass

Lisa Boschetti-Mauirno June 16, 2018 at 3:49 PM

My friend found a female dog on Rolling Woods around 1:20 this afternoon on 1/16/2018. If you are missing a dog please call to identify, as she is safe, but wants to be back home with her owners.
Please cal Tami at 925-698-6147

KAD June 16, 2018 at 5:02 PM

I understand there is a brush fire in Concord. Anyone know anything?

Ancient Mariner June 16, 2018 at 5:02 PM

Travel safely, Atticus!

Original G June 16, 2018 at 9:16 PM
Silva June 17, 2018 at 7:55 AM

Very nice stuff there Original G, uplifting. Thank you.

lizzie June 17, 2018 at 12:17 PM

Since this post is about “Whatever” I would like to bring up social media. I thought it was more for the teens and 20 year old’s. I was wrong. Mostly I am talking about facebook. I went out to dinner last night to celebrate the birthday of a friend who was turning 60, at a very nice restaurant in Danville. She rarely put her phone down. She video-taped us arriving, our table setting, the dinner menu, the wine list, the drinks we ordered and so on. The entire evening was posted live on facebook. Really? She wanted to make sure that those friends who could not attend were at least able to share the event with her. Really? She shared with the table some comments that people had posted, all wishing her a HBD and I just don’t understand. What-ever happened to conversation? What-ever happened to making a phone call and hearing that spark in a voice, the excitement? One on one. Not putting everything out there for everyone to see. Is it validation? Is everyone trying to prove something? I have a facebook page and watched the video this morning and yes it was nice to see it. But I was there to see it unfold in person. So, does anyone else have the same view point? Or am I just not a people person or somewhat of a private one?

Original G June 17, 2018 at 1:49 PM

Count yourself fortunate to have the ability to take a step back, to observe and to reflect.

In years past “crazy” people were easy to spot, ambling down isles of the supermarket talking loudly to themselves. These days we dismiss it, chalking it up to blue tooth and poor manners.

In this age of instant communication thoughtfulness, reflection, planning and order in my opinion have taken a back seat in lives of the addicted. Evidently some are incapable of making a simple list, taking numerous calls or texts are now required to complete the simple act of grocery shopping.

Am old fashioned perhaps for I could care less what someone else’s breakfast consisted of or the amusement park ride they are currently on.

Am firm believer in bumper sticker,
Social media, ability to be stupid at the speed of light

Justyfiable Languor June 17, 2018 at 5:09 PM

50+ years ago it was considered rude to call during dinner time. Certainly no one would have an extended conversation during a family meal.

I would reconsider my time spent with this person. Sounds like she ruined a nice meal at great cost.

lizzie June 17, 2018 at 4:22 PM

To Original G–
Thank You so much for your response! I agree with you 100%!!!!

lizzie June 17, 2018 at 5:58 PM

Justyfiable–She did and I am so sorry for that. But it is her loss.

Original G June 17, 2018 at 6:08 PM

Fissure 8 of Kīlauea on Hawaii’s Big Island has become rather popular for viewing. Most however think of lava as slow moving especially after first network coverage was put out. It can actually move along at a pretty good clip.

Celebrate June 17, 2018 at 10:48 PM

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY to all of the dads out there!! I hope y’all had a great day. 🙂

WC Resident June 17, 2018 at 11:45 PM

Considering lava flows – Mount Lassen and Shasta are stratovolcanoes where the magma comes up through a single pipe for a long time. The volcano gets higher and higher.

Another style of volcano is the shield volcano where the magma comes out through many fissures in a wide area. They end up building large mounds and lava fields and not a single peaked mountain. The Hawaiian islands are shield volcanoes with Mauna Loa also being the world’s largest volcano though it’s 100 times smaller than Olympus Mons on Mars.

The Medicine Lake volcano in northeastern California is a large shield volcano. Within the Medicine Lake lava field is Lava Beds National Monument. It’s an interesting place to visit as in that area there was an eruption of thick goopy lava that cooled into a crust followed by a thinner lava flow that ran more like water. The result was underground lava tubes that you can walk through.

Antler June 18, 2018 at 8:56 AM

Thanks for overview! I’m thinking that I just read that the volcano in Yellowstone is the largest in the world…. just that it’s inactive right now.
Will go do some Googlesearch….

Antler June 18, 2018 at 4:02 PM

National Geographic says that the most massive volcano on Earth is named Tamu Massif; it’s the oldest and largest of many giants of the Shatsky Rise in the northwestern Pacific Ocean….
“It dwarfs Mauna Loa, which indeed is the largest ACTIVE volcano (2,000 sq. miles) on Earth.”
It also talks about the supervolcano underneath Yellowstone National Park. Their conclusion is that if that volcano ever has a MASSIVE eruption again, the ash from it will blanket the United States, damaging buildings, smothering crops, and even shutting down power plants. Orrrrrrrrrr….. it might never erupt again at all, they say.

Jojo Potato June 19, 2018 at 10:45 PM

The lava beds in Modoc county were also the site of the most recent Indian war in the US. 1872-73. Also notable for the only US Army general killed by the native americans during those troubled times. (Custer’s permanent rank was Lieutenant colonel ).

Kirkwood June 18, 2018 at 4:00 PM

There is a fast food restaurant going up in Pittsburg on Park Blvd/Loveridge Rd which is the frontage road that leads to Home Depot & Winco. No sign yet indicating what it might be but it’s beginning to look like a Sonic.
I know it’s outside Claycord but that name has been referenced here before.

Original G June 18, 2018 at 5:26 PM

Oh, I though it was going to be another gas station.

Shasta Daisy June 18, 2018 at 9:05 PM

😮 did anyone else just see that fireball???

✌🏼

Dr Jellyfinger June 18, 2018 at 10:00 PM

I just did a shot of Fireball….

Shasta Daisy June 19, 2018 at 7:53 AM
Help? June 19, 2018 at 2:38 PM

I’m looking for a local, reasonably priced jewelry (necklaces) repair service. I’m also hoping for suggestions on Private Dental insurance – for myself only. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

KAD June 19, 2018 at 8:28 PM

I see Safeway is looking to get into the packed food packages that you cook at home. It is called Plated. Anyone try it yet?

Shasta Daisy June 19, 2018 at 9:32 PM

I read about that too.
I enjoy cooking and wouldn’t ever think about using a meal kit. Half the fun is shopping for all the ingredients, prepping and cooking…then enjoying it 😊, with a glass of wine 🍷, of course.

Peace ✌🏼🍽

Tanya June 20, 2018 at 11:08 AM

Animal control is issuing tickets to dog owners….at paso nogal park….if you go hiking there with your dog…on the trails behind the fenced in dog park….and have dog off leash they will ticket you.

I received a ticket this past Saturday at 10am….I have been hiking there for the past 5years and this is the first time I have ever even seen animal control police officers at the park.

Please note…they don’t park there vehicles anywhere near the park so that you don’t know they are there…also I have heard from other people that they have been coming every day since last Saturday

I am fully aware of the local leash laws……but these trails offer a chance for dogs to really run and explore,

The actual fenced in dog park can become very over crowded with dogs and a lot of dog fights occur as a result of that.
Everyone knows that dogs learn from other dogs about behavior and my dog was picking up some bad behavioral habits in the dog park.
So now we just hike on the trails behind the dog park.
But not anymore since she has to be no farther than 6 feet away from me at all times….my knees don’t allow me to run on the trails….so she hardly getting enough exercise for 4 year old dog.

Jo June 21, 2018 at 7:06 AM

Tanya, if you are aware of the leash laws, why aren’t you using them? Are they for everyone else except you? What if your dog met up with another dog and got into a fight or met up with a rattlesnake before you could get to it? You sound like so many dog owners who feel that the rules shouldn’t apply to you.

jtkatec June 21, 2018 at 3:08 PM

Oh, I do hope you never roll through a stop sign? Or drive 10 mph over the speed limit…..

Shasta Daisy June 21, 2018 at 8:33 AM

Happy Summer Solstice!
My favorite season.

Peace.

jtkatec June 21, 2018 at 3:04 PM

I hope Atticus is back from traveling. It is Friday tomorrow and I do love to see his links. (That’ sounds awful)

KAD June 21, 2018 at 5:49 PM

What do you think of the new Internet taxes? Here we pay “use” taxes for Internet buys.

Atticus Thraxx June 22, 2018 at 10:59 AM

Still road-dogging it. List back next week.Have a great weekend everyone! 😀

Silva June 22, 2018 at 6:31 PM

I hope you got to go someplace nice, Atticus Thraxx.

mohairs June 22, 2018 at 11:26 AM

Atticus Thraxx… must make you feel good to see how much you’re missed and how appreciative everyone is for all the work you go to every week!! 🙂

Atticus Thraxx June 22, 2018 at 4:36 PM

Awww shucks….Making me blush mohair. If my meager contributions to Claycord brightens anyone’s day, it’s the Mayor we should credit. 😎

KAD June 22, 2018 at 5:12 PM

Last.

Silva June 22, 2018 at 6:32 PM

Last!

Shasta Daisy June 22, 2018 at 6:32 PM

At last, I can take a deep breath.
It’s been a very long week.

✌🏼