Vegetation Fire Extinguished At Newhall Park In Concord

June 13, 2018 22:51 pm · 8 comments

A vegetation fire was extinguished just after 5 p.m. at Newhall Park in Concord on Wednesday.

The blaze was reported inside the park near the Melody Dr. entrance.

No injuries were reported, and no homes were damaged.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Thanks to Karen for the photo.

Marci June 14, 2018 at 4:39 AM

So glad thst no one was injured and no home were damaged.. Hope that they find the cause of the fire soon. Thanks to all the brave fire fighters who put out the fire before it got really bad and for putting their life in line..

Anon June 14, 2018 at 6:10 AM

Why do they even have to investigate cause of the fire is the multiple homeless camps in our parks. You can’t even take a walk or hike in our parks without coming across used needles. I worry about the kids playing sports in the parks.

NorwichFan June 14, 2018 at 8:40 AM

Yes, Newhall Park has been come home to too many homeless and transients.

Teacher June 14, 2018 at 11:33 AM

I live over there and I want to thank the fire fighters for putting out the fire as quickly as they did so that none of my neighbors lost their homes. Hopefully we will find out the cause of the fire.

biggus thinkus June 14, 2018 at 2:05 PM

cause of fire: idiots.
found it less than funny when i took the family to the lantern light festival and for $5 you could buy a paper balloon that you’d light a fuel source underneath for lift. plenty of them going into the sky. i got confused, we do live in an arid environment correct? we did have massive wildfires last year, right?
what happens when they fall (lit) onto a roof or small pile of debris?

Shirley Wilson June 14, 2018 at 4:10 PM

I live just over the fence from the walking path of Newhall Park. The fire dept. was here immediately and had the fire out and under control very fast. Our apt. complex super was banging on doors and telling residents to stay inside and keep windows and doors closed. What saved the flames from coming over was the walking path which served as a fire break. Yes homeless do live here and it might have been started there, but it is summer time, the grass has grown tall, we had lots of spring rain and now it is hot and dry out. And school is out, so it could have been kids playing with fire, or a careless smoker leaving a lit cigarette off the path. Whatever caused it I am glad everyone is safe and I thank the Concord fire district for getting here and putting it out in hurry.

Rich June 14, 2018 at 5:29 PM

Last week my wife and were walking along the trail by there and commented that the tall grass was usually cut before now. The grass along the creek trail from Mel’s the Markham park is also usually cut by now.

Tiffany June 16, 2018 at 12:53 AM

I was just in that area and came across a delightful homeless couple and their dog, they lived right over in that area and I can assure you that they don’t use drugs or needles, and surely it wasn’t them who started that fire. Why are you people always quick to blame those less fortunate for everything wrong. Don’t put them down try lifting them up because they are always knocked down by everyone, they are humans also.