Elderly Man Found Dead At Scene Of Two-Alarm Fire In Walnut Creek

June 13, 2018 8:18 am · 7 comments

A person killed in a two-alarm fire at a home in Walnut Creek early this morning has been initially identified as an elderly man, according to Contra Costa Fire Protection District officials.

The man – whose name and age haven’t been released – was among three people who lived at the two-story home at 714 Mandarin Lane in Walnut Creek, according to Contra Costa Fire Protection District Capt. Steve Aubert.

The fire was first reported at 12:45 a.m. today and dispatch said at least one rescue was underway shortly after crews arrived on the scene.

Aubert said the elderly man was found dead by fire crews upon arrival at the residence. The two other residents have been transported to John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek with moderate injuries ranging from
lacerations to smoke inhalation.

Aubert said the cause of the fire is under investigation and the residence suffered enough fire damage to likely be considered a total loss.

No further information was immediately available.

Person June 13, 2018 at 9:16 AM

Tragic beyond words. I live 2 blocks away and woke to the smoke filling my own home.
Praying for the family this morning.
I’m so sorry.

Nic Bardea June 13, 2018 at 10:10 AM

That must have been one heck of a fire. I live up near Treat & Clayton, the smell woke me up about 1am.

gg June 13, 2018 at 11:16 AM

My prayers & condolences to his family. And praying for a quick recovery for the other two residents.

TraumaRx June 13, 2018 at 11:23 AM

A important reminder to have working smoke detectors throughout the house.

Judi Saiz June 13, 2018 at 1:35 PM

So sorry to hear this.
I live right along side the firehouse on Treat Blvd and the sirens woke me up, about 12:45 AM, I knew it was something bad as the sirens seemed like they were coming from all directions.
RIP Sir, prayers for you and your family..

T. Willey June 13, 2018 at 2:55 PM

So sorry to hear this. The smoke smell awakened me at around 12:30 a.m. this morning. I also heard the fire truck, and emergency medical vehicle sirens.

Yvonne June 14, 2018 at 11:47 PM

I went there to observe after what seemed to be an awful lot of trucks and ambulances heading somewhere. When I got to the science I was actually 2 blocks back. There were over 20 fire trucks a fire engine ambulances and 2 cops. Everyone of these vehicles had there lights blaring and there engines running for hours while they worked on that house. Strange not one neighbor was outside their own house. Not a one, but me🤔