Woman Dies In Crash After Large Tree Falls Onto I-680 In Danville

June 11, 2018 11:33 am · 16 comments

(by Dan McMenamin) – A woman died after a tree fell onto northbound Interstate Highway 680 in Danville this morning, a California Highway Patrol spokesman said.

The crash was reported at 8:55 a.m. north of the El Cerro Boulevard off-ramp.

The woman was driving a silver Mercedes-Benz sedan north on the highway when a 50- to 60-foot fell onto the roadway either on top of or directly in front of the vehicle, CHP spokesman Officer Brandon Correia said.

The woman was pronounced dead at the scene. Her name has not yet been released.

The tree is blocking all but the far left lane on the highway and investigators do not yet know why it fell, Correia said.

He said the lane closures will last into at least the early afternoon while crews remove the tree from the roadway.

photo credit: Rafaa Navarro

ML June 11, 2018 at 11:38 AM

This was on the 11am news, the tree that fell was a dead pine tree

Citizen June 11, 2018 at 11:40 AM

I am so sorry for that accidental fatality. Her family and loved ones must be in shock. What a terrible thing to happen on such a pretty calm day. We never know when it is our time to leave the planet. Prayers and hugs.

MommaToTwo June 11, 2018 at 11:49 AM

So sad. Such a shock to her family. RIP.

Theres lots of dead trees all over, what steps are being taken to remove them ??

The Mamba June 11, 2018 at 11:51 AM

That’s terrible, she’s just going to work when minute and gone the next.

Peggy June 11, 2018 at 12:20 PM

Prayers for her family & friends.
This happened to me 11 years ago on Hy 24. A huge tree uprooted right in fromt on me. I hit it and totaled my truck. I survived with a broken back, my life has never been the same.

gg June 11, 2018 at 1:33 PM

I’m so sorry Peggy. Thank God you survived. God bless you.

Silva June 11, 2018 at 5:06 PM

🙁

concord ygnacio June 11, 2018 at 1:08 PM

Not sure if this is allowed, but there is a video of the aftermath on KCBS’s YouTube channel:

missimee June 11, 2018 at 2:04 PM

One Minute & 17 seconds of video and not once did they show the tree!

concord ygnacio June 11, 2018 at 1:29 PM

Another news source is reporting the victim may have suffered a medical event as well before crashing:

“An accident has closed all lanes of northbound I680 north of El Pintado in Alamo and first responders appear to be tending to a motorist who may have suffered a medical event prior to the crash.

Drivers report that a tree is down and all lanes blocked as rescuers work to reach a driver pinned in the wreckage of a silver sedan at that location.”

Willis June 11, 2018 at 2:22 PM

I think this is an aspect of intrastructure maintenance. Sorry for the needless loss.

chuckie the troll June 11, 2018 at 3:22 PM

Yikes! Life is very fragile and can end in a flash. Condolences for her family and friends.

Dorothy June 11, 2018 at 3:35 PM

Sorry that the woman died. This event is sad but is a real accident.

Most crashes that are called “accident” are usually caused by drivers speeding, dui, reckless, on cells, and whatever distraction.

RANDOM TASK June 11, 2018 at 3:58 PM

TREE LOOKS DEAD

maybe a tree inspector can chime in

Rico June 12, 2018 at 1:20 PM

A few of the trees along that stretch were removed recently. They obviously missed this one. I think all those pines on that stretch should go. They were planted on a sandstone cut when freeway was built. I doubt the roots could get deep enough to support a large tree.

Someone June 18, 2018 at 12:15 AM

Well, if the tree was dead, so were the roots. No wonder it fell, it couldn’t support the weight of the tree. The others should be fine if they aren’t dead.