World War II Bombers On Display At Buchanan Field In Concord

June 8, 2018 10:00 am · 30 comments

Four very rare World War II bombers are now on display at Buchanan Field Airport in Concord.

The bombers are in town as part of the national WWII Wings of Freedom tour.

To learn more, and to find out how to you can see the planes, or even take a ride on one, visit the following website: www.CollingsFoundation.org

photo credit: Craig Cannon

Law Dog June 8, 2018 at 10:34 AM

Getting a ride on the B 17 today, It will be Great !

Yves Harlowe June 9, 2018 at 7:42 AM

Great! You’ll really enjoy it. My husband and I got a flight on a B-17 several years ago. Memorable! I’ll be getting a flight on the Mustang P-51 today. It’s a bucket list item!

pete June 8, 2018 at 11:37 AM

Sitting at home at my desk right now, listening to one of the big old bombers off in the distance.

I love airplane noise.

Kirkwood June 8, 2018 at 12:23 PM

Nice pics. Glad to see the B-24 was there, it wasn’t with the others when they landed late morning.

A bit of trivia here: TV documentaries of air battles over Germany often show a B-24 as the left wing folds and the plane starts down. The narrative is usually about the large number of planes shot down during these missions. If you watch closely you will see that what actually happened in that sequence is that the plane was hit by a bomb dropped from a companion aircraft above.

S June 8, 2018 at 12:29 PM

The costs to maintain and operate these planes is understandably enormous. Sadly, the cost to take a ride is out of most peoples reach….

Rezidentura June 8, 2018 at 3:07 PM

In 2015, per their tax filing, the Collings Foundation paid their president 262k.

S June 8, 2018 at 5:35 PM

to Rez…; I’ve never been a fan of their non-profit persona, but your info is mis-leading. That amount is for all officers of the organization… there are about 5 or 6 of them… Making it an average of 45,0000. Sure some get more and some less.. but one hauncho does not rake in the 262+ . /// https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/42658294

///

reflects officer”s” at 26… Still, the average person can afford the high fee for a 30 minute ride;; that includes taxi time…….

pete June 8, 2018 at 5:40 PM

The Collings Foundation runs a substantial museum beyond what you see here. No ones making any money selling ride in these planes.

S June 8, 2018 at 6:00 PM

oops… CANNOT Afford……….

WC Resident June 8, 2018 at 12:46 PM

I’m under the flight path for the tours. It makes me realize how hard it was to shoot the things down as they fly low meaning you only see them for a few seconds. It’s also making it next to impossible to take photos of them overhead unless I stay outside for a couple of hours with the camera ready.

ClayDen June 8, 2018 at 1:59 PM

The single engine airplane in the lower left is a Douglas AD Skyraider and is a post-WW II airplane, also known as the Spad. It could carry about the same ordnance load as the B-17, depending on the mission radius. It saw a lot of action in Korea and Viet Nam.

Ev June 8, 2018 at 2:25 PM

Thank You so much for the information today. My husband and 7 year old grandson went to tour and take pictures, my grandson was in awe of these planes, he toured each at least 7 times. Thank You for sharing or they would have missed out on a great summer adventure.

ZZ June 8, 2018 at 3:11 PM

Law Dog, let us know about your experience! Have a great time!

Law Dog June 9, 2018 at 4:04 PM

A smooth loud ride and a great feeling sticking your head out the fuselage at 140 mph. Clears out those cobwebs out real fast. They flew up towards Sears Point, great view of the bridges and the fog coming over the gate. Well worth the money.

Pony June 8, 2018 at 5:57 PM

I was out for a walk around Todos Santos about noon when I heard the sweet sound of a B-24 overhead. Made it even tougher to go back to the office.

Rita June 8, 2018 at 6:13 PM

Will they be on display all weekend?

Dede Tate June 8, 2018 at 7:49 PM

I had the great experience of riding in a B-24 several years back when the Wings of Freedom tour was in Livermore. My mom’s first husband was a B-24 pilot who lost his life on his second bombing run over Germany. I took the ride to honor him. If he had returned home safely from the war, I would never have been born.

KinseyLeaky June 8, 2018 at 8:44 PM

Did the ride in the P51, it was only a couple grand and I do it yearly.

KinseyLeaky June 8, 2018 at 9:08 PM

@S
$400 is not a high fee to take a ride at all. We do it every year and both of us do the P51 outing each year at different locations. Have done the 1 hour a few times as well.
People spend a grand on a stupid iPhone they can surely afford a $400 ride in the bombers.

Yves Harlowe June 9, 2018 at 8:11 AM

I agree. I think it has a lot to do with priorities. I used an iPhone 5 for years, then when it started having problems, I bought an iPhone SE. for $159. No $800 or $1000 phones for me. I have money to spend on other things, like flights on WW II aircraft.

S June 9, 2018 at 2:35 PM

I also believe the cost of an i-phone is a waste. Still, the average person won’t be spending $400+ for a 30 minute plane ride. It’s out of reach… Maybe if it were on PriceLine for 60% off….

🙂

jjshawk June 10, 2018 at 11:16 PM

Considering, these planes cost millions to restore and keep maintained in flight condition. $400 is nothing!

S June 11, 2018 at 8:42 AM

OK, looks like I’m out numbered….. Apparently is is affordable for the average person…. Great conversation though………..

Yves Harlowe June 13, 2018 at 8:48 PM

I’m rather bemused by the comments about the price of a flight on one of these planes is out of reach for them”average person,” whatever the average is. No, not everyone can afford it. I’d love to have a winter home in Palm Springs, but it’s way out,of,reach for me. I was able to afford a flight, and so could quite a few other people. Is that some kind of problem? Income inequality or something, I guess. Because the “average person” can’t afford it, does that mean no one should be allowed to do it? I’m not sure what the point is supposed to be.

Anon June 9, 2018 at 6:34 PM

Out of Curiosity, Why does their route need to be over Benicia all day long?
Is there really nothing else in the area to look at besides Benicia??

Give me a break.
PS: Hopefully the one at 6:30 pm is the last flight of the day.

KAD June 9, 2018 at 6:57 PM

Send them over my way. I would love to hear them.

Sam Robert June 9, 2018 at 10:11 PM

600

Kirkwood June 10, 2018 at 2:42 PM

Rivers, seashores, etc. make interesting views for sightseers. Also it’s away from the airport traffic areas.
City people complain about everything.

Anon June 10, 2018 at 3:27 PM

Hey Kirkwood,
Are they flying over your house ALL DAY?
I checked with a friend, and they aren’t flying over LaMorinda all day either…….the people with the money who are able to get things done.

Nobody wants to hear it.

Yves Harlowe June 11, 2018 at 4:43 PM

I took a flight on the P -51 this past weekend. What a thrill! I’m so happy that these planes are being maintained and flying. They fly over my neighborhood while they are here. Doesn’t bother me at all. It’s only once a year.

The flight on the Mustang was a bucket list item for me and was the experience of a lifetime. Well worth the money!