The Water Cooler – School’s Out For Summer – Are You Happy Or Sad?

June 8, 2018 12:00 pm · 31 comments

The “Water Cooler” is a feature on Claycord.com where we ask you a question or provide a topic, and you talk about it! The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

Today’s question:

School’s out for summer! Do you like it more when the kids are at home, or in school?

Talk about it….

Stove June 8, 2018 at 12:05 PM

Sad, too many youngings out and about now.

OSOB June 8, 2018 at 12:36 PM

Git outta my yard ya punks.

Simonpure June 8, 2018 at 12:13 PM

Always seems to be more petty crime and more auto accidents.

Mike June 8, 2018 at 12:27 PM

I am absolutely thrilled. I’m looking forward to going into Starbucks at Concord and Landana without there being 48 obnoxious high school students inside and outside, being loud, throwing their garbage all over, playing their music and being disruptive.

2BITS June 8, 2018 at 2:55 PM

Glad you are thrilled Mike. Now one of those 48 obnoxious high school students is at my house. Being loud, throwing garbage all over and playing music. Gonna send him back to Starbucks.

MVP June 8, 2018 at 4:15 PM

HaHa! Good one 2BITS

Marianne June 8, 2018 at 4:50 PM

That was funny, patience is a good thing. They’ll be back in school before you know it. And at Starbucks.

Mike June 8, 2018 at 10:05 PM

Has nothing to do with patience! …..I don’t mind high school kids, but when they are loud , rude, disruptive, and leave their garbage all over, it is an issue.

Suzanne June 8, 2018 at 12:27 PM

Happy because traffic should be a little lighter. Sad cause the varmints will be running loose at all hours.

Me June 8, 2018 at 3:18 PM

Agree. Traffic will be much better, but I can do without the under-supervised kids wreaking throughout town.

Dawg June 8, 2018 at 12:43 PM

Sad, Why? Because I don’t trust little kids when they are playing near my home. They have caused too much damage, especially when they are kicking a ball around, balls have hit my house and my car on several occasions. I also have decorative rocks in the front yard and the kids like to throw them into the street.
It’s not the fault of the kids, kids are kids and do stupid things. It’s the rotten parents that turn therm them loose so they can run amok yelling and screaming disturbing their neighbors.

Suzanne June 8, 2018 at 1:15 PM

Dawg I should have you explain things to my neighbor. She seems to think her kids and dog are exempt. We’ve had damage to our front yard from basket balls and kids trampling through our yard. And her dog bit me in the arse when it got loose. Not even an apology from her. Of course, the police and animal control paid her a little visit. But I digress…

The Mamba June 8, 2018 at 1:16 PM

Thanks for letting me know, my car will probably be broken into this week.

Gititogether June 8, 2018 at 1:21 PM

I was a kidlet once. And I remember the supreme joy of the last week of school. All the dreams to be fulfilled. And then summer itself, wow! Twould be mighty hypocritical to not let kids experience the same joy.

Nutcreek Frontier June 8, 2018 at 1:23 PM

Happy, a more relaxed time with my child. We can just enjoy each other’s company; so much grade pressure and obligations during the school year. Also, blissfully quiet at the middle school across the street!

biggus thinkus June 8, 2018 at 1:56 PM

wife is already tense and freaking out, kid is demanding money and the chance to do all sorts of things i dont have the capital for, and i’m in the dog house because i cant satisfy either of them financially.

Silva June 8, 2018 at 2:31 PM

Welcome to a large club.

Just saying June 8, 2018 at 3:05 PM

That’s too bad. Sometimes you have to tell your children no and there’s lots of things to do that are free, but all you need to pay for is gas. Pack a lunch and there you go. Someday your children will have jobs and they need to learn about money.

The Mamba June 8, 2018 at 3:31 PM

Oof, not a fun situation, well time flies – it’ll be fall soon!

Lambie June 8, 2018 at 5:24 PM

“Demanding money”? At my house, they can demand all they want, but they’re not going to get it.

My kids have to earn it 😉

Barbie Girl June 8, 2018 at 1:57 PM

LOVE IT. I love my babies….Now we can go paint at Lafayette Reservoir, go to Mel’s and play “What’s New Pussycat?” On the jukebox 10 times in a row., play tennis, golf and go on vacation. ……..

Silva June 8, 2018 at 2:47 PM

I’m hoping to see and spend more time with the grandkids, so I am happy. I’m happy for all the kids who have more freedom to enjoy and explore life, whether it’s with friends and family enjoying fun things together or working summer jobs and gaining a sense of independence and some money they made all on their own. I wish there were more local good cheap (or free) clean fun, like there used to be for us though.

fca June 8, 2018 at 2:55 PM

Love it, less traffic

Catlady June 8, 2018 at 3:32 PM

I am happy that there will be less traffic, but sad that I will be paying more in daycare fees.

Concordville June 8, 2018 at 4:00 PM

Was always happy for the first month not to have the hurried mornings, etc. Then everyone starts getting bored and on each other’s nerves! But I actually think boredom forces kids to be creative if you don’t rush in to try to solve their boredom.

concord ygnacio June 8, 2018 at 5:00 PM

I was in downtown Pleasant Hill yesterday around 12:30eating lunch and there were a ton of middle schoolers and high schoolers running around unsupervised. I was in shock. It was like a madhouse. And it was hard to find parking. What ever happened to parenting?

Lambie June 8, 2018 at 5:26 PM

Love the lighter traffic 🙂

Mika June 8, 2018 at 7:53 PM

@ Concord Ygnacio–fyi yesterday was the last day of school. Sequoia elementary and middle scholl are right next to downtown. Why would they need to be supervised? Chill!

Ancient Mariner June 8, 2018 at 9:18 PM

The commute will be better.

cartmanesqued June 8, 2018 at 11:34 PM

Sad. Children should be Boiled. WC Fields preferred his children that way too.

WC June 9, 2018 at 9:51 AM

I love it.

I can get get of my driveway in the morning and afternoon without having to wait for the mommy parade of cars (Do kids walk or ride their bikes to school anymore?)

I am also glad little league is over. I can actually park in front of my house in the afternoon and on Saturday. No more rude parents taking over the neighborhood because they’re too lazy to park at the school and walk farther.