More Than 800 Expected To March For Animal Rights Today At Yerba Buena

May 26, 2018 11:07 am · 16 comments

(by Janis Mara) – Organizers are predicting more than 800 people will take part in this afternoon’s March for Animal Rights at Yerba Buena Gardens in San Francisco.

The march, which will begin at 4:45 p.m. at 769 Mission St. between Third and Fourth streets, is part of a week-long Animal Liberation Conference taking place in Berkeley through May 29. Direct Action Everywhere, a network of animal rights activists, is coordinating the march.

More than 1,000 people have indicated that they will attend on the Animal Liberation March Facebook page.

“This is an inclusive march,” organizers posted on Facebook. “We welcome all people who support the right of animals to live. If you want to see every animal live safe, happy and free, we want you to come stand with us.”

Organizers said the march will be conducted at a moderate pace and all are welcome.

Concord resident May 26, 2018 at 11:22 AM

How many of those walking for animal rights, would also walk against human unborn baby rights…?

Boycott the Circus May 26, 2018 at 11:37 AM

Good Luck!!! And thank you to all who are fighting for animals to have rights!

ZZ May 26, 2018 at 12:24 PM

Going to make hamburgers tonight. Yum!

Chubby May 26, 2018 at 12:57 PM

I just want to say, without addressing the particulars of this event, that it bothers me when people speak of “animal rights”. This is because the term “rights” has specific meaning, incredibly important meaning, and I don’t think it should be conflated with humane treatment, loving accommodation, or even being held in higher esteem, of animals.

Rights cannot be enjoyed without someone to preserve and protect them. The beneficiaries of rights have a duty to ensure the rights of all others who are entitled to them. Most non-human animals are not going to have either the conception, ability, or inclination to ensure the rights of others. This is why dogs, noble creatures as they are, cannot have rights.

We should most definitely have laws which ensure that cruelty to animals is punished and discouraged accordingly, and as someone that eats meat and wears wool, I’m sure I could have an argument with some people about where particular lines are drawn. But in the end, I don’t think it is going to serve the interest of animal welfare to be sloppy with the language. There are plenty of really good arguments for radically improving how humans treat animals without without couching it terms of people’s political freedoms.

Lena May 26, 2018 at 6:14 PM

All liberals crucify the language as a means to an end. It’s what they do. If mankind didn’t “discriminate” on a daily basis, he/she would be walking off of cliffs with abandon and attacking one another every time they sneezed.

I believe we are the protector of the animals on this planet, but I’m also a carnivore. I believe if vegetarians were truly sincere, they wouldn’t be wantonly murdering plants. They are without a doubt some of the most hateful people I have ever met. They are angry and quality protein starved and they take it out on other people.

Nunya May 26, 2018 at 1:03 PM

Huh? Homelessness, mental illness, parents killing their own children. Huh?

Cowellian May 26, 2018 at 1:26 PM

Animals don’t have rights. Humans, on the other hand, have a responsibility to care for the animals.

Shoulda Coulda May 26, 2018 at 2:19 PM

Who is against animals living safe, happy
and free.

Cat May 26, 2018 at 2:31 PM

A big shout out and thank you to all those supporting care for animals

chuckie the troll May 26, 2018 at 3:46 PM

Hasn’t the Animal Liberation Front been designated a domestic terrorist group? Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like to have animals tortured unnecessarily. On the other hand, Saint Louis slow-cooked, smoked on the BBQ is on the menu tonight.

Anonymous May 26, 2018 at 4:39 PM

Mr Chubby said it perfectly.

3rdrail9er May 26, 2018 at 9:09 PM

Bacon

*drops mic*

Mike May 26, 2018 at 10:10 PM

ALF is a terrorist organization… this conference is not an ALF conference…. but I could see how that could be easily misconstrued.
This is a conference mainly for folks who oppose animals in laboratory settings., and inhumane treatment of animals at factory farms.. I am a carnivore but I support improving standards for animal care and use.

Liz May 27, 2018 at 9:43 AM

Thanks Mike!

Abbie R. May 27, 2018 at 11:22 PM

Is it O.K to Wok My Dog?

Simonpure May 29, 2018 at 8:33 AM

Eating meat has nothing to do with it. We are part of the ECO system as well. The animals we eat wouldn’t even be here.