UPDATE: Concord Police Searching For Stabbing Suspect Near Treat Blvd.

May 25, 2018 21:06 pm · 64 comments

Concord Police are searching for a suspect who reportedly stabbed a person in front of the CVS on Treat Blvd., near Clayton Rd.

A helicopter is assisting with the search.

The suspect is described as a black male in his early 20s. He was wearing a block hooded sweatshirt and carrying a black backpack.

The condition of the victim is unknown at this time.

UPDATE: The suspect has not been located.

UPDATE: The victim was stabbed in the chest.

top photo credit: Greg Westbury

bottom photo credit: Craig Cannon

JayZ May 25, 2018 at 9:09 PM

Police have said they are searching in the Cobblestone area of Canterbury Village for the suspect.

Remain indoors, call 911 if you see the suspect (Black Male, 30’s with a black backpack, possibly looks homeless) DO NOT confront the suspect.

luucyloo May 25, 2018 at 9:14 PM

helicopter still up there..circling for at least a half hour …im right at treat and clayton

Lil ol' me May 25, 2018 at 9:15 PM

! I hope the victim is ok. I hate people! Humans are evil!

Nunya May 26, 2018 at 5:31 AM

Violent racists are evil.

Because even blacks can be racist.

Badge1104 May 26, 2018 at 12:57 PM

Actually it is the black people who are the racists now. Obama opened up old wounds and stirred up new anger, even hate towards whites now. He disappointed me greatly. I had voted for him in hopes of uniting the country, but he really divided us in many ways.

Linda May 27, 2018 at 3:18 PM

I’m sorry but I missed the part of the report that indicated this was racially motivated. Where did you get that idea?

Kgalvin May 25, 2018 at 9:16 PM

The helicopter has been circling for an hour. I hope they capture the criminal soon. Think of the victim.

Anony May 25, 2018 at 9:21 PM

Any further description on the suspect?

Mimi (original) May 25, 2018 at 9:25 PM

CPD cars were All Over my street! Gone now but can still hear the helicopter

Ricardoh May 25, 2018 at 9:28 PM

No comment.

Bob May 25, 2018 at 9:30 PM

Straight outta Concord

soccermom May 25, 2018 at 9:42 PM

I heard on scanner 6ft 1″ 160 lbs black Male wearing white headphones dressed in all black and a black back pack.

Melanie May 25, 2018 at 9:42 PM

I ran into a black guy with a striped sweater with a backpack around 11 am at togos he was being really weird

Richq May 25, 2018 at 9:44 PM

Any update on suspect?

McGruff May 25, 2018 at 9:46 PM

A lot of blackberry bushes and pussywillow in the creek, lots of hiding places. I hope they gave it a once over with a dog.

Antler May 26, 2018 at 8:23 AM

McGruff, that creek route was my first thought as well. It is very overgrown at the moment and is like a highway for vagrants and/or criminals …. easy to get under vegetation canopy and hide from the copter’s searchlights. Maybe a K-9 officer’s handler will comment here on the wisdom of sending a dog into an area in which there might be many non-criminal types sheltering for the night, though???

JayZ May 25, 2018 at 9:47 PM

Police have called off the search, the suspect was not located.

Concord resident May 25, 2018 at 11:18 PM

Does anyone know why the guy stabbed the other person? I seen comments he was stabbed in the chest I wonder if he died

Humandaquin May 26, 2018 at 12:09 AM

I’ve been wondering the same things. What was the circumstance? Was this random? Wish we knew more. Thoughts and prayers for
the victim.

Brig May 28, 2018 at 6:56 PM

According to a CVS employee, a customer exiting the store bumped into a homeless man and a shouting match ensued, which led to the stabbing. She didn’t know if the homeless man was victim or suspect.

Mike May 26, 2018 at 12:04 AM

I was at CVS around 7-8pm.

I saw the suspect. He was on the stairs near the exit of the parking lot next to the wood working place.

Concord Mike May 26, 2018 at 6:12 AM

@Mike,

Please call CPD If you haven’t already and let them know.

Your ability to recognize a picture of the criminal may lead to his capture. 99% chance the perp is a repeat offender, so his mug shot is on file.

Again???? May 26, 2018 at 6:12 AM

First, a shooting 1800 feet from my work, today, then a stabbing 2500 feet from my home??? Good Lord!!!!

Badge1104 May 26, 2018 at 1:05 PM

Isn’t Concord and Pleasant Hill grand!

Again???? May 26, 2018 at 9:18 PM

GIJoe May 26, 2018 at 7:05 AM

Mental health is the biggest crisis in the US right now… The left blames the weapons while us rational folk realize it’s the people and until we have some type of plan to deal with those people things like this will keep happening.

What The ?? May 26, 2018 at 8:24 AM

So we just need to get rid of people got it. Problem solved!!

Randy May 26, 2018 at 8:37 AM

You can’t fix crazy.

Nunya May 26, 2018 at 8:40 AM

Liberals are the biggest problem in this country now. Along with the mentally ill, they are unable to act rationally due to their insane believe in the narrative from the left. They believe there is no such thing as a argument and that any disagreement with their believes must result in a verbal and likely physical attack against those who do not blindly agree with them. Of course all that does sound like mental illness, so maybe like you said it is just that.

Sue May 26, 2018 at 7:30 AM

The man was acting crazy and just stabbed him they did not no the guy he went into emergancy surgery he came out ok but is in criticL condition his name is james

Humandaquin May 26, 2018 at 10:50 AM

Thank you for this update. I am a regular late-night shopper there. I’m not leaving my house anymore!

Antler May 26, 2018 at 8:26 AM

ZZ May 26, 2018 at 8:44 AM

I read the witness said he and his boss were leaving CVS, walking towards the car. His boss was attacked and stabbed in the neck. Neither knew the attacker.

There are too many mentally ill and drugged up people roaming the streets. Nothing is being done because they have the right to live the way they want. The law abiding, descent citizen just has to live with it.

chuckie the troll May 26, 2018 at 9:26 AM

While mental illness might not be a crime, refusing treatment should be. I’m pretty tired of the cost and damage caused by people who are on the loose and out of control.

Randy May 26, 2018 at 9:47 AM

We used to have mental institutions for these type of people.

Bishop May 26, 2018 at 9:45 AM

If this man is capable of stabbing my friend friend, what’s next?

Law Dog May 26, 2018 at 9:58 AM

Catch him and Boil Him

ZZ May 26, 2018 at 10:29 AM
Rich May 26, 2018 at 10:34 AM

Are there any cameras in the shopping center? Why not?

Citizen May 26, 2018 at 11:11 AM

Too much crime. Too much violence. Too many drugs. Too much racism
We live in a bad world.

Original G May 26, 2018 at 12:03 PM

We live in a state in which politicians running it became embarrassed by the number of criminals their give away nanny state policies had attracted.

So they made it harder to charge criminals with Felony crimes PLUS they forced their state prison overcrowding down onto California’s 58 Counties with passage of AB-109 in 2011.

The crime crisis we are enduring is the creation of progressive liberal democrats.

Anon May 26, 2018 at 11:37 AM

Most likely his initiation into a gang if he was hanging out at the scene prior. No info on if the victim is alive, his skin color, name, nothing. Pretty bad reporting for a small city.

Mike May 26, 2018 at 4:04 PM

No. I saw the suspect before. Just some homeless skinny possibly tweaker or mentally ill guy

Neighbor May 26, 2018 at 12:47 PM

Last time I was at CVS they had a security guard out front.. Wonder if they were on duty?

Secondly, Nunya…what a dumb thing to say. If you haven’t noticed the “conservative right” are in charge of the country at the moment.. and the violence has increased.. not diminished.

Chicken Little May 26, 2018 at 5:49 PM

Neighbor,
The right might be running the country, but the left is still very much responsible for what goes on in California.

Dr Jellyfinger May 26, 2018 at 5:52 PM

@ Neighbor ~ Where do you live? No matter…. but here in the USA crime is declining!

Now maybe you’re just another low info Liberal talking out your backside.. … but if you start paying attention you will see the “Conservative Right” not only supports law enforcement, it does not consider MS-13 gangsters to be unfortunate “immigrants” (ask Nancy PelOOsi) and also does not support giving convicts the right to vote…. as the Democrats do.

R May 26, 2018 at 1:33 PM

The media reports that the victim was a 50 year old man who didn’t know his assailant. The assailant took off on foot and got away. The victim is in critical condition.

SF oh May 26, 2018 at 4:34 PM

I always find it odd when I hear that police using cars, helicopters, etc… cannot catch a guy on foot. They had a physical description of the guy —- how could he get away?

By Bye Bay May 26, 2018 at 2:23 PM

Guarantee you he is a repeat offender they just keep letting out of Jail. We need to make our law makers accountable!

Citizen May 26, 2018 at 7:33 PM

Fault finding never solved a thing! We are in deep trouble because this violence is continuing and will keep getting worse! Now let’s stop blaming our politicians and work on the problems!

Consumer B May 26, 2018 at 9:31 PM

A stabbing outside CVS…this frightens me. Prayers for the victim.
Question: Does Concord Police Dept. (who are the finest police department) have enough street patrolling cars for each district. And do you know your neighborhood “Beat Cop”?

Jeff May 29, 2018 at 9:55 AM

Sorry, while Concord PD is very very good, “the finest” is the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department………………….108RS.

Dam May 26, 2018 at 9:54 PM

Too many of these criminals roaming the streets without serving proper jail sentences

Evergreen May 26, 2018 at 11:48 PM

Why do you think the guy is mentally ill? Just because you stab someone doesn’t make you mentally ill. A lot of people come from over the hill into Concord and commit crimes. I never allow my children to come with me when I do errands for that reason. True, there are a lot of unstable people around Treat Blvd & Clayton Road. I live less than a mile from there, and I refuse to shop in that area just because of the crime and unstable people I see everyday.

SF oh May 27, 2018 at 9:40 AM

I agree. Sometimes , the term mentally ill is casually thrown around too often. I think we would all agree that there’s definitely something wrong with a guy who could walk up to someone and stick a knife in them. But, the term “mentally ill” seems to be becoming the universal excuse for every bad behavior. Yet not much is done to address actual mental illness. Our politicians need to look at the laws concerning people who are unable to control their own lives due to mental illness. Instead, they blame the weapon – or the situation. If a person is suffering from mental illness, their family or an advocate should be able to have that person committed – for their safety as well as public safety. We also need to enforce the laws so that criminals are punished. Millions of dollars are spent on homeless issues and crime issues with little positive outcome. The current mayor of San Francisco recently stated that he is allocating several thousands of dollars to clean the city streets each day. I read about it on SFGate and I was surprised to see that most commenters did not approve of the plan. Instead, commenters said that the mayor needs to fix the cause of the filthy streets – not just keep spending money to sweep up the mess. There are mentally ill people out there, and there are violent criminals out there too. Our politicians just throw money at the results of mental illness and crime but they are not truly addressing it. They are just continually sweeping up the mess after the fact. And, often, sweeping the mess under the rug.

Mike May 27, 2018 at 5:12 PM

I saw the suspect.
He was obviously homeless, yet didn’t look like a tweaker.

What kind of rational person (without a mental issue) stabs random strangers in a parking lot?

Joe May 27, 2018 at 9:44 AM

Spotted suspect yesterday, around 2PM standing in shade at plaza where Mr. Pickles sandwich shop is located. Approx. 6’1, at least 200 lbs, an unhealthy 200 pounds. He gave me a very aggressive, angry look. Was wearing a dirty black polo T Shirt, had a small afro, and even had a solid black backpack on. I called dispatch and parked at other end of parking lot. He slipped away before units arrived- be on lookout.

Silva May 27, 2018 at 11:10 AM

Thanks for your safely executed effort to help get this guy off the streets. I’m curious as to what were you guessing his age range to be?

Consumer B May 27, 2018 at 12:04 PM

May I add that WE BUY GOLD businesses located throughout Concord attracts many undesirable individuals. They maybe legit businesses, like a pawn shop, but…it’s a good way for criminals to get fast cash for stolen jewelry. Question; How many normal average everyday people do you know that wants to sell their gold jewelry for cash? They attract people who need quick cash for what… alcohol drugs maybe. Get rid of them.

Joe May 27, 2018 at 12:36 PM

Anywhere between 28-33 years old, Silva. Thanks, I appreciate that, but I’m still upset he slipped away.

Igetminefromtheman May 27, 2018 at 3:19 PM

This is very unsettling i had just worked for this guy on Wednesday. I appreciate that the commentors have been as kind as you can expect. To help those who are a little confused the suspect did not declare whether liberal or conservative policies were influencing his actions. This was not late night it was just after 8 pm. He did notbranddish. He stabbed him once. He walked away did not run. I am not a psycologist, I do play one on TV. Not to sure what mental illness is covered by being calm focused and intentful. Its scary to say the least. I do know 90% of you. Will feel if the police make an arrest.

Julie May 27, 2018 at 7:21 PM

Praying the victim heals quickly..I’ve heard he’s a great guy and I hope Connie that the s-o-b is caught!!

Jeff May 29, 2018 at 10:05 AM

108RS is 10-8

Jessica May 30, 2018 at 9:50 AM

There’s this young black male they stays At Inshape he wears a black hoodie, black pants and black shoes , his homeless and sits in Message chair upstairs of In-Shape concord on Clayton, he also carry’s a pack back with him