Whooping Cough Reported At Clayton Valley Charter High School In Concord

May 24, 2018 17:59 pm · 39 comments

A student at Clayton Valley Charter High School in Concord has whooping cough, according to Principal Jeff Anderson.

The following message was sent to parents & guardians this afternoon:

“Dear CVCHS Parent or Guardian,

Public schools are required by law to send a notice to families when a student has been diagnosed with certain communicable illnesses.

This notice is a standard caution procedure and should not be cause for alarm. An active isolated case of whooping cough (pertussis) has been identified at our school. The affected individual is under medical care and is NOT attending school. Whooping cough is spread through the air when people cough or sneeze.

Whooping cough is a serous illness that may cause severe choking, coughing, and vomiting among many. Pertussis a particular threat to babies (infants under 12 months), persons with chronic lung diseases such as cystic fibrosis or asthma.

The vaccine usually protects, but sometimes even immunized children can get whooping cough. It is important that you check with your child’s health care provider to be sure his/her immunizations are up to date. There are pertussis vaccines for children, adolescents and adults. Children who are not appropriately immunized may be excluded from school if there is an outbreak.

You should suspect whooping cough if your child has sudden burst of uncontrolled coughing that gets progressively worse, choking, or vomiting starting within the next 4-7 days.

If your child has or develops this kind of cough, contact your child’s health care provider right away and keep your child home from school. Your health care provider may want to take laboratory samples from your child’s nose/throat or prescribe medicine for your whole family to take if your child is ill. Your child should stay home if she/he has symptoms until she/he has completed 5 days of medicine. You will also need to notify the school.

Please contact our school nurse, Sadiya Alilire at (530) 304-3304 or (925) 682-7474 x3105 or the Contra Costa Health Department at (925) 313-6740 with any questions that you may have.
Sincerely,

Jeff Anderson
Principal”

Silva May 24, 2018 at 8:07 PM

Somebody didn’t get vaccinated.

NinjaNurse May 24, 2018 at 9:04 PM

Silva: I agree. These days parents don’t believe in vaccines. Highly doubt this kid was vaccinated. Can’t wait to find out! Was the kid vaccinated? Does anyone know? I will bet you $1 kid probably has no vaccines at all. Vaccines are dangerous you know! But whooping cough is so harmless!

Rico May 25, 2018 at 1:46 AM

Bad assumption. The pertussis vaccine is probably somewhere between 50-67% effective. It’s likely the least effective vaccines that we get. And in many people, the antibodies disappear faster than expected.

We’re not exactly sure how effective it is because Merck is currently in court for fabricating their testing. They were given a monopoly on the vaccine by the CDC if they provided a 95% effective vaccine. No company has ever made a pertussis vaccine that effective (it’s probably impossible just because of the nature of the bug—Good job CDC for setting an unrealistic requirement and then blindly accepting Merck’s statements that they met it. ). Obviously Merck couldn’t do it either, so they faked their data for 10 years in order to keep their monopoly and their billions in sales. (See “United States vs. Merck” if you don’t believe me. This story has not been reported in the mainstream media because they don’t want to be blamed for a drop in vaccine rates, despite the fact that getting a less effective vaccine is still better than no vaccine at all.)

One of the worst outbreaks of pertussis a year or two ago was in a northern county with the highest rate of vaccination in the state. Nearly half the kids who got pertussis had been vaccinated. It’s probably more common that people think because in many older kids and adults, it’s just a stubborn cough without the “whoop” sound, and doctors rarely think to test for it without the “whoop”.

Lesson: Pertussis is still going to pop up regularly. It is still contagious. People who are vaccinated can still catch it if exposed.

Shunka Wakan May 25, 2018 at 7:18 AM

That’s not true. 3 years ago my daughter had Pertussis and she has had every vaccine required. I was told by a nurse that the formula was changed in the early 90s (my daughter was born in 1999), which is why it is not as effective.

Silva May 25, 2018 at 7:21 AM

BTW, my statement does not specify who I think did not get vaccinated. That’s because I have no idea. It is still my belief that someone amongst the herd was not vaccinated.

MovingOutOfCA May 25, 2018 at 1:32 PM

Per the CDC ( look it up) more kids have been infected with whooping cough who are vaccinated.

Vaccines actually weaken the immune system. My youngest ( 14, non vaxed) is by far healthier than his two older siblings who had most of their vaccines ( and they have health issues). This year in the winter months, whooping cough was at his school. HE DIDNT GET IT! The kids that did, had the vaccine.

Herd Immunity does not exist. It’s a pro vax talking point, but holds no water. We do not have enough of the population in the USA that is vaccinated, to actually have herd immunity. Again, look it up.

Cowellian May 25, 2018 at 1:57 PM

MovingOutOfCA,
I did look that up, and here’s what I found:

Q. Can vaccines prevent pertussis?

A: Yes. Vaccines can prevent pertussis, or whooping cough. Before pertussis vaccines became widely available in the 1940s, about 200,000 children got sick with it each year in the United States and about 9,000 died as a result of the infection. Now we see about 10,000 to 40,000 cases reported each year and unfortunately up to 20 deaths.

And:

Q: Do pertussis vaccines protect from serious disease?

A: If you get pertussis after getting pertussis vaccines, you are less likely to have a serious infection. Typically, your cough won’t last as many days and coughing fits, whooping, and vomiting after coughing fits won’t occur as often. When vaccinated children get pertussis, fewer have apnea (life-threatening pauses in breathing), cyanosis (blue/purplish skin coloration due to lack of oxygen), and vomiting.

Look it up: cdc.gov/pertussis/about/faqs

NinjaNurse May 24, 2018 at 9:06 PM

anon: It is highly unlikely whooping cough will happen if you’re vaccinated. The administration doesn’t want to hurt the parent’s feelings….just in case the kid wasn’t vaccinated…which is probably the case.

NinjaNurse May 24, 2018 at 9:09 PM

Vaccines are dangerous you know! It is highly unlikely the kid was vaccinated. Whooping cough remains deadly…but those vaccines are so bad! Anon: I think the administration is trying to protect the parents feelings, just in case they didn’t vaccinate the child. That “sometimes” is probably a very SMALL PERCENTAGE.

Brig May 24, 2018 at 9:18 PM

Idiot’s, you can get whooping cough even if you are vaccinated.

Dr Jellyfinger May 24, 2018 at 10:24 PM

How ironic…. you spelled “Idiots” incorrectly by adding the apostrophe before “s” which indicates a possessive noun, when just omitting the apostrophe would have indicated you were referring to multiple “idiots” as you obviously intended.

When insulting another person’s intelligence you should always use spellcheck to avoid this kind of thing….. or people will think yer dum.

Rico May 25, 2018 at 1:49 AM

Autocorrect adds in apostrophes in many words I type that end in an ‘s’. I catch most of them, but sometimes I miss one. Just because I don’t catch one doesn’t make me an idiot.

Cowellian May 25, 2018 at 8:12 AM

If your auto-correct uses apostrophes to create plurals, you need to turn off your auto-correct. And spellcheck will let you say “your a moron,” but you’re the moron if you do.

Captain Apostrophe May 25, 2018 at 9:30 AM

Watching Claycordians argue about a single misplaced apostrophe is like watching… no, actually I think THAT is the metaphor. Next time I see two people having a stupid argument I will say, “it’s like watching Claycordians argue over an apostrophe.” And yes I know it is a simile, not a metaphor. That was an editorial choice. I deliberately used the wrong word to convey the idea more effectively and efficiently given the norms of current local vernacular. I have generously loaded my post with other Easter eggs – syntax and grammatical errors both large and small. Can you spot them?

Dr Jellyfinger May 25, 2018 at 10:54 AM

It’s the finished product that counts. If you choose to ignore the modern technology that keeps it all in order that is your problem because there will always be anal people like me ready to call you out. I would not have bothered except that you were insulting others as “idiots” when you made the punctuation error. Own it.

It’s Me May 24, 2018 at 9:21 PM

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid.

NinjaNurse May 24, 2018 at 9:28 PM

Brig: wow. Idiots? I am glad you are so smart…using an apostrophe when you don’t need one. “Idiot’s would be idiots.” Did you take English in high school?

Rico May 25, 2018 at 1:51 AM

Wow. Your comments make you seem surprisingly harsh and judgemental, especially for a nurse. Aren’t nurses supposed to have some compassion? Haven’t you ever discovered later than autocorrect added an apostrophe in a word that you didn’t type or intend?

Anon May 24, 2018 at 10:10 PM

My kid is up-to-date with vaccines and got it 2 years ago. We made a drs appt and they didn’t think my kid had it but tested for it anyway. Came back positive. Nothing is 100%.

Silva May 24, 2018 at 10:12 PM

I will bet the farm somebody didn’t get vaccinated

Silva May 25, 2018 at 7:10 AM

This was posted as a response, not a stand alone comment.

Concord Mom May 24, 2018 at 11:20 PM

Is it just me or is this school constantly in the news? I’m just saying.

Former CV Parent May 24, 2018 at 11:21 PM

It’s very possible that the child was vaccinated. In the 1990’s a switch was made to a newer formula of the vaccine that has fewer side effects. Unfortunately, it turns out that its effectiveness fades over time, more quickly than the old formula. If someone who has been vaccinated does come down with whooping cough, it will probably be a less severe case than if he had not been vaccinated.

Rico May 25, 2018 at 1:47 AM

“Highly unlikely” is false when it comes to the pertussis vaccine. It’s the least effective vaccine we get.

Rico May 25, 2018 at 1:59 AM

Stop joining an online mob ready to lynch parents when a kid gets a disease for which there’s a vaccine! Vaccines are good, but not perfect, and the pertussis vaccine is the least effective. It’s much more difficult to create an effective vaccine for a bacteria than for a virus. In addition, the vaccine wears off more quickly than desired. A whole lot of kids have gotten pertussis who were fully vaccinated as recommended.

If the CDC wanted to reduce the cases of pertussis, they’d recommend testing for the vaccine antibodies every few years to make sure they haven’t worn off. But that’s too expensive. Cheaper to let a few hundred people get pertussis than spend another billion dollars a year on testing and booster shots.

Most outbreaks of pertussis in CA originate with someone who brought it in from another country. The outbreaks are contained by working hard to notify anyone who might be exposed and then telling those who are sick to stay home and not spread it, along with getting appropriate treatment. It’s cured with antibiotics.

Ninjanurse May 25, 2018 at 9:13 AM

Rico: and calling people idiots isn’t harsh? I hope claycord fonds out soon if this child was vaccinated or not. Will be interesting to know.

Rico May 25, 2018 at 10:36 PM

I have never called anyone on this site an idiot. Perhaps you’re thinking of someone else.

Rico May 25, 2018 at 10:39 PM

If you’re complaining that I didn’t call the originator of the “Idiot’s” comment harsh, I have to ask if you think your own harshness is excused because somebody else was harsh. This is the root of the incivility and divisiveness in this country… people harshly complaining that someone they disagree with is being harsh. There are lots of idiots out there. But we all expect better of nurses.

Sheri navarro May 25, 2018 at 3:19 AM

I have recently retired from Mt.Diablo School Dist. The kids cannot be at school without being up to date on all there shots .they used to let you sign a paper saying you do not believe in the shots , but not anymore.my grandson goes to this school, I certainly hope he hasnt been around this student, as you still are able to catch it

Adc May 25, 2018 at 7:42 AM

The efficacy of the DPT is only good for about 4 to 5 years. Even if they get the booster, it may have worn off.

For those pointing fingers, when was your last DPT immunization?

Citizen k May 25, 2018 at 7:48 AM

Recently were students in San Ramon affected then over in Martinez. Now looks like it’s making it’s rounds!

NinjaNurse May 25, 2018 at 9:10 AM

I don’t have compassion for people who don’t vaccinate their kids.

Rico: I remember Antioch had a bunch of kids come down with pertussis and it was because some kids were not vaccinated. So it doesn’t always come from someone who brought it here from another country.
Lena: yep you are right I posted similar posts because it looked as though my posts weren’t going through. Honest mistake. I bet you are perfect. I have a great job not involving bedpans. Thanks for your concern.

Rico May 25, 2018 at 10:55 PM

Pertussis doesn’t spontaneously generate or lurk in the environment. Someone brings it in from somewhere else, and I’m sure there are many instances where it comes from a domestic case. But there are also many outbreaks involving people who travelled to another country and brought it back, or a foreign visitor brought it in. Many of the outbreaks in LA County in the last few years were traced to people who’d recently been to Mexico. The Disneyland measles outbreak was traced to the Philippines. An outbreak in Minnesota started with an unvaccinated young adult who went to India and came back sick. (Seems reckless and naive to me to go to a place like India with zero vaccinations.)

It isn’t fair to make harsh assumptions about parents when their kids get sick, as if it’s always their fault. Perhaps wait until we have more information rather than encouraging the lynch mob.

I fear that your assumptions and bias will affect how you treat your patients, given that you have “no compassion” for the unvaccinated. Do you also have “no compassion” for drug addicts, alcoholics, diabetics, heart disease patients, lung cancer sufferers, the overweight, and others whose health issues are essentially their own fault? If so, you belong in a different field.

Instead of hating people who fear vaccines, be angry at the CDC for being less than honest about the flimsy vaccine safety data and the resistance to admitting problems with some vaccines. If we had better safety data and genuine full disclosure about the risks, I believe there’d be far less fear of vaccines.

Kentucky Derby May 25, 2018 at 9:56 AM

I don’t know what the ratio is for threads that end up like this – but this is one of those threads.

NinjaNurse May 25, 2018 at 11:40 AM

Lena, let me know when you see a child dying from whooping cough like I have. Your attitude is far from friendly. Are you an anti-vaccer?
My screen name really shouldn’t bother you like it does. Focus on the issue here: there could be a serious outbreak of whooping cough. I can’t wait to find out if the child was vaccinated.

The Mother May 25, 2018 at 12:03 PM

The child was indeed vaccinated. We’ve reported all we know to the CDC. Hope no one else is impacted. Thank you for your compassion and understanding.

Ninjanurse May 25, 2018 at 1:39 PM

I am glad to hear the child was vaccinated. Sorry to hear child still got pertussis. I apologize for assuming child was not vaccinated. I hope your child recovers quickly!

Ninjanurse May 25, 2018 at 10:06 PM

Cowellian: thank you so much for the CDC information on pertussis vaccines. Facts don’t lie.

Ninjanurse May 26, 2018 at 7:02 AM

Rico: why don’t you read the excellent post from Cowellian about vaccines from the CDC. I am only discussing vaccinations on this post. But since you brought up other health concerns and diseases: I definitely don’t put an alcoholic in the same category as a cancer patient. You don’t know me. I am done here.