The Water Cooler – California’s End of Life Option Law

May 24, 2018 12:00 pm · 37 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon.

A California judge recently overturned the state’s End of Life Option Law, which gives a person the right to end their life if they have a terminal illness. Do you agree with the End of Life option law, or disagree with it?

Talk about it….

Rob May 24, 2018 at 12:11 PM

If a person is capable to make the decision the choice should be theirs and if there are medical professionals willing to help implement that choice that’s fine.

Leave government out of it May 24, 2018 at 12:15 PM

If a person wants to die, no matter what the reason, let them do it. It shouldn’t be the government’s job to decide. If a persons life is so unbearable that he or she just doesn’t want to live anymore, let them do it.
Why make a big deal out of something that’s inevitable? We’re all going to die, some sooner than others but the end result is the same….Death.
It’s only the living that care, the dead don’t care and 100 years from now we will all be dead anyway and it won’t matter.

Cowellian May 24, 2018 at 2:20 PM

“Leave government out of it” indeed!
The government should never have passed that law in the first place.

Resident May 25, 2018 at 7:09 AM

Your comment shows your lack of understanding. Ultimately, the decision is left up to the person who is deemed to be terminally ill. “The government” has simply allowed for a doctor to proscribe life ending medicine to a patient that medical experts have determined to not likely have more than 6 months to live. There is nothing more that doctors can do for these people (Doctors cannot cure all diseases and in many cases, they simply prolong suffering), so your idea is to instead make the decision for that person to suffer until their last breathe?

Me May 24, 2018 at 12:23 PM

17 years ago my 87 year old grandfather who had been suffering from COPD and Chronic emphysema from years of working with foam insulation, was on an oxygen leash, decided to put a gun in his mouth and end his suffering. I wish he had had another option.I was shocked when the police told us how common elderly suicide is.

Concordejet May 24, 2018 at 12:28 PM

I disagree with the drug to end his/her life it like having an abortion because pregnant woman wanting to end the baby life and now a drug to end life that way too easy to commit suicide.

It not what God wants and I am sure God would not allow it.

I hope the E. T. L. Drug will not happen.

Cellophane May 24, 2018 at 1:00 PM

Why should you or anyone else have the authority or privilege to determine what’s best for anyone else but yourself?

I respect your beliefs and I would never interfere with any decision you would make for yourself, why would you want to interfere with my EOL decision.

I don’t see the correlation between EOL and abortion.

No government or any organization or individual should have any say when it comes to someone who wants to end their suffering.

Freeman May 24, 2018 at 2:44 PM

It’s not the same argument. Ending your life is your own choice. The argument with abortion is that you are ending another person’s life.

Who’s to say God doesn’t want the individual to end their own life and their own suffering? The laws are man-made. The fact that people are suffering right may actually be in opposition to God’s path. Nobody can claim to know his will…

Original G May 24, 2018 at 6:19 PM

Be they elderly or unborn, what’s the difference in government involvement in abortion and end of life ? ? ?
Abortion saves long term welfare given to “lower class” persons.
Look at history, location of first organization advocating abortion, cities “served” and social class targeted.

Government healthcare in a country across the Atlantic evidently has NO qualms about withholding treatment for those too old or those who live what is deemed an unhealthy lifestyle.

In short, cost of care versus long term benefit.

Give the liberals in this country time and allow them to gain power as they have in CA and in a few decades government will decide when you are no longer a useful member of society.

Homelessness, a form of euthanasia for the elderly ?

It was Mahatma Ghandi who said,
“A nation’s greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members.”

Lambie May 24, 2018 at 6:39 PM

Original G: “Homelessness, a form of euthanasia for the elderly?”

Homelessness isn’t just elderly, it’s elderly, disabled, mentally ill, drug addicts…

I would think elderly and disabled could find a place to stay, but others are often unable to make good decisions for themselves.

Original G May 24, 2018 at 7:53 PM

Lambie …. You are correct. Singled out homeless elderly for emphasis.

As Ghandi said “A nation’s greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members.”

Unfortunately in CA our first responders are forced to Repeatedly deal with mentally ill homeless until they commit a crime serious enough to involve the Courts.

Progressive liberal politicians passed End of Life Option Law in CA merely to keep up with and not be shown up by other liberal states
doing so.

These are same politicians who take 90 minutes to pass a mirror.

Trace back lethal Hepatitis outbreak in San Diego and you will find people in charge worried about how their city’s look good was going to be effected by large numbers of homeless.

I’ll post about it over in Talk About Politics

“A nation’s greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members.”

me May 24, 2018 at 12:32 PM

Lets see how many times I have to type this before you allow it. 17 years ago my grandfather put a gun in his mouth and ended his life because of after 20 years of living with COPD from years of working in the insulation industry he was tired of suffocating on land. He was tied to an oxygen leash that didn’t allow him to leave his house. Had he had another option, he wouldn’t have had to resort to this.

AnonZ May 24, 2018 at 12:40 PM

Totally agree. People with a terminal illness should be able to decide what to do about the rest of their days.

Angry Squash May 24, 2018 at 12:44 PM

Agree with it. I think most people like me who have had the heartbreak of watching a loved one die from a terminal illness agree with it too. The way the existing law is written, there are a lot of controls: there is a waiting period, there have to be more than one physician agreeing with the diagnosis, etc. It allows people to keep their dignity and save themselves tremendous suffering that they know will happen (like with aggressive brain and pancreatic or liver cancers). If you have seen a loved one die from one of these illnesses, you would want them to be able to go out while they were still “themselves”.

Cellophane May 24, 2018 at 12:50 PM

I agree with the end of life option.

Everyone can decide for themselves if this is a good option for them or not.

I don’t want to suffer endlessly my final days and I don’t want my family to suffer either.

When there is no longer any options and the quality of life has diminished to a certain point, I don’t want to burden others, give me the needle.

Simonpure May 24, 2018 at 12:53 PM

Most insurance policies do not pay out for a suicide. Would this be any different.

Lambie May 24, 2018 at 4:11 PM

No, it is not the same, It is not listed as suicide. Insurance wouldn’t know.

Simonpure May 24, 2018 at 6:29 PM

Thanks

Roz May 24, 2018 at 1:17 PM

If You haven’t seen someone close to You dying from a terminal illness, You might change your mind. Some of You just might walk away from it, to not see it, but the person You walked away from,…. can’t walk away from it. Suffering in pain, is not quality of life, it’s just suffering in pain.

Simonpure May 24, 2018 at 2:38 PM

Hi Roz…I’m pretty sure you meant “If you have seen”. I watched my father suffer for a while and it was absolutely terrible. Now quit that smokin girl 🙂

Roz May 24, 2018 at 6:55 PM

Thank You Simonpure,…You knew what meant to say.
So you too, understand what it’s like,…your Father was blessed to have you there for him.
Again, Thank You for the support! 🙂

Foonman May 24, 2018 at 1:18 PM

As an older person, I agree with the “Right to die with dignity”. At my age, I have witnessed good friends pass with no “rights”. Its very hard to make the decision, however It is up to the individual and their personal beliefs. I have mine. It is up to the person and their doctor………..

well.......... May 24, 2018 at 1:47 PM

It’s not OUR decision when we will die, it’s GOD’S (however, we can intrude and do the suicide thing if we insist on being in control)
However, it IS OUR decision where we will go after we die.

Mimi (original) May 24, 2018 at 1:55 PM

After watching my father, then my step-father die slow deaths due to their individual cancers, I totally support a persons right to choose the way they die, and when. When our pets are sick or injured to such a degree that the pain will never be resolved we put them out of their misery. Why are our loved ones less important to be spared from pain than our pets?

Roz May 24, 2018 at 6:58 PM

Very well said

ChampagneKitty May 24, 2018 at 2:33 PM

I was trilled when California won the right to death with dignity, and was disappointed to hear that a judge overturned it. I hope that it is put back into effect. I have been a right-to-die supporter for many years,

My Decision May 24, 2018 at 3:03 PM

What is considered a terminal illness ??? My mother-in-law was suffering from a disease she had for 30 years. It was not considered terminal, however, watching her suffer from the pain was heartbreaking ! Thank God her heart gave out so she could finally rest in peace painfree. My husband and I learned from this and want the right to end our lives when we are ready, NOT when the government decides !

Ricardo May 24, 2018 at 3:06 PM

Having investigated many “suicides” it often requires a major effort to make certain it was not a homicide. Many suicides are messy to clean up and extremely traumatic to loved ones who are placed in the position of finder of the remains. Often the remains are not found for an extended period of time. I respect your religious right to claim your God would not agree with you killing yourself, but don’t try to force your opinion on those who disagree and then splatter themselves all over a motel room or must be pulled, decaying out of the bay. Allow those who wish to die, the dignity of a legal, quiet shot in the arm and a peaceful death. The option must be made available.

Lambie May 24, 2018 at 4:33 PM

It is not a shot, there are many pills the person would need to self-administer.

I urge anyone with a terminal illness which may or may not include symptoms, such as pain, dyspepsia, etc. to use Palliative Care or Hospice services.

Many wait too long before using these services. Palliative care can provide case and symptom management. Hospice has additional services available to the patient, as well as the family. Some patients even graduate from hospice, since they receive extra care and symptom management, if needed.

If a patient wants to use the EOL Option Act, information can be provided, but not managed by hospice.

Lambie May 24, 2018 at 4:36 PM

What is hospice care?

The focus of hospice care is to ensure the comfort of every patient during their final stages of life. This is achieved by relieving pain, managing other complex symptoms and offering consistent emotional, spiritual and practical support. Hospice makes it possible for patients to retain control over their medical and personal choices. Our staff provides care in the comfort, privacy and familiarity of home.

Hospice is for individuals with a prognosis of 6 months or less (if their illness follows an expected course) and who wish their care to focus on palliation (comfort measures) rather than cure of their illness or condition. Hospice care uses a compassionate, comprehensive team approach to address each patient’s needs and personal choices, as well as provide support for family members and loved ones.

Dorothy May 24, 2018 at 4:39 PM

I want the right to not die in agony! I also want to not jump through the hoops that have been set up to make sure you are in agony, will die within 6 months, and want to end the agony sooner.

Lambie May 24, 2018 at 4:39 PM

What is Palliative Care?

Palliative Care focuses on the relief of symptoms and suffering related to a life-limiting, chronic illness. People with advanced illnesses have specialized needs and often fall between traditional home health services and hospice care. Palliative Care gives these individuals much needed assistance in navigating the complicated health care system and offers the option of staying at home rather than going into the hospital.

Palliative Care works within a team-based model to coordinate care with your other health service providers. We will work with you to develop a plan for care that involves all of your doctors and services, while ensuring that your needs and wishes are being met.

Silva May 24, 2018 at 7:42 PM

I’ve always liked the idea of a choice. Choices are a good indicator of freedom. I’ve seen people close to me die, and I’m guessing the majority probably would’ve done it just as they did, even if they had the choice of doing it differently. I bet a couple of others would’ve preferred to skip the brutal agony. I was glad when California voted for dying people to decide when they’d had enough. A friend’s mom who was to die in my friend’s home she shared with her husband while she and her husband cared for her went through the process and obtained the permission and prescription required to get the medication if she needed it. It turned out she never needed it till the last few hours. She was almost there when it became unbearable, her intense time of suffering was short, but she was very glad she knew SHE would make the decision when it would be time to go. As others have said, it’s tough to find or find out a loved one committed suicide unexpectedly. I once knew a man who took an astonishingly beautiful drive one gorgeous fine day, and drove his cancer riddled self over a steep cliff. That was very hard on everyone who cared about him. There are many ways to do the deed. I don’t think we should force anyone to go through more extended agony than they are willing to.

Ancient Mariner May 24, 2018 at 8:53 PM

It might be just an option today, but sometimes laws are subject to “mission creep” over a long period. I can imagine an old person in the future being talked into it when they really don’t want to. Years after that, there might be financial penalties in the inheritance if you don’t go through with it. Then later it might become mandatory.

Resident May 25, 2018 at 7:37 AM

The end of life option legislation makes sense. To me it seems that those that don’t support it either don’t understand it (they haven’t actually read it), or their opposition is based on their religious views (which should have no bearing on state law).
It is ultimately 100% the terminally ill person’s decision, as it should be. There are heinous terminal diseases that the medical community has not figured out how to cure. For those that have been unlucky enough to be diagnosed with these types of diseases, this legislation can provide some piece of mind. A terminally ill person is not deciding to take their own life (the disease has already made that decision for them), they are simply taking control of the dying process. Perhaps you won’t understand, until you’ve watched someone gasping for each breathe they take for several days, asking for help to end their suffering. Your opinion of the terminally ill person’s decisions is irrelevant.
It’s called an option for a reason. The fearmongers who claim the government is making the decision are delusional. The legislation gives these terminally ill people suffering at the end of their life an option; the choice is theirs to make.

ChampagneKitty May 25, 2018 at 11:02 AM

Very well said; thank you.

Hippy2L8 May 29, 2018 at 9:42 PM

We “put down” or pets and even wild animals, to keep them from suffering..
Why wouldn’t we do the same for each other? ?