Police Arrest Man Who Allegedly Snatched Purse From 93-Year-Old Woman In Sunvalley Mall Parking Lot

May 24, 2018 10:09 am · 60 comments

A 29-year-old Oakland man has been arrested on suspicion of robbery and elder abuse after allegedly stealing purses from two women, including a 93-year-old woman he knocked to the ground last week, Concord police said.

Otto Halafihi turned himself in at a police substation in Patterson in Stanislaus County after Concord police had put out surveillance photos of a suspect in the robberies that were reported around 4 p.m. last Friday in the 1000 block of Sunvalley Boulevard.

The two women, ages 93 and 64, reported having their purses stolen and the 93-year-old had to be hospitalized after being knocked to the ground, according to police.

Police said today that they identified Halafihi as the suspect thanks to tips and leads from the community and detectives learned of his location in Patterson.

He has been transported back to Contra Costa County to be booked into jail.

RELATED STORY: 93-Year-Old Woman Injured During Purse Snatching In Sunvalley Mall Parking Lot, 64-Year-Old Woman Also Robbed Of Purse

Bevscotti May 24, 2018 at 10:13 AM

Good job PD!!

Original G May 24, 2018 at 10:14 AM

Once ya make it onto Claycord, might as well hang it up and surrender.
File another notch on your Mouse Mr. Mayor and Thank You for all you do for our community.

Gitittogether May 24, 2018 at 2:06 PM

👍🏼

Reality says... May 24, 2018 at 10:16 AM

WOW! It gets better…

“I am a friendly and honesty person. I respect my elders and I need help with a place to stay.

POS x2

concord ygancio May 24, 2018 at 10:34 AM

How did you bold part of your post?

Cowellian May 24, 2018 at 11:12 AM

Concord Ygnacio,
It’s basic HTML. Most HTML commands don’t work here, but several do, including bold and italic. Here’s a primer:

Loza May 24, 2018 at 11:27 AM

You can’t make this stuff up! Lol
He’s a pos. Glad he was caught.

Simonpure May 24, 2018 at 12:05 PM

Oh no…now we are gonna get caps in bold from U-Know who 🙂

concord ygancio May 24, 2018 at 12:33 PM

Thanks cowellian!

Anonanonagain May 24, 2018 at 10:40 AM

Even if he turned himself in, he still needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Pushing down an old lady is disgusting!!!

Reality says, with housing costs rising in the bay area we are going to see a lot more desperate people. No excuse but I feel that some people are driven to do things that they would not normally do.

RunnerDope May 24, 2018 at 11:36 AM

Get used to it, as the economic divide gets wider and wider.

SF oh May 24, 2018 at 11:38 AM

I don’t think this was a crime of desperation due to housing costs. Robbing a bank, for example, could be an act of desperation. But how much money would two elderly women likely be carrying? Borrowing the info from Reality Says’ post: “I respect my elders” is an unusual thing to post on a website asking for assistance. This seems to me as some type of sociopathic assault due to some anger towards older people. I hope the two women who were attacked will be okay. And I hope the DA looks into this guy’s background. He could be a loose cannon ready to blow.

foothillsguy May 24, 2018 at 2:27 PM

In regards to the above comments about economic divides blah blah, In 1987 I wanted to love in W.C. but could not afford it so I bought a home in Bay Point fixed it up and moved up. Get used to it, there will always be “economic divides”. Now go out and better yourself.

Anonanonagain May 24, 2018 at 3:44 PM

I was not excusing anyone for their behavior irregardless of their financial situation, I was just stating that their will always be those that are living barely above the poverty line or below that feel desperate. Australia was built on convicts and some of those people were merely stealing a loaf of bread to feed their families and sent to live in a penal colony. How anyone can afford to live in certain parts of the bay area and feed and clothe their families is beyond me. I feel fortunate but I see it all around me. 🙁

The Professor May 25, 2018 at 11:06 AM

This guy saw two easy marks for some quick cash. I guarantee that he never once thought, “Gee, I need some money to pay my mortgage because housing costs are soooooo high”. This scumbag more likely thought, “Yo, beotches got money and I need it for my meth fix”.
Last night’s news also reported that he is the prime suspect for a previous armed robbery. And the only reason he turned himself in was because there was no way he could hide for long with such good pictures of him out in public. This POS is only looking out for himself.

Anon May 24, 2018 at 10:47 AM

Woo-Hoo! So glad this POS is off the streets and unable to harm anyone else. Now it’s time for justice for his victims. Lock em’ up!

Cartman May 24, 2018 at 11:00 AM

BOIL HIM !!!

Biotch May 24, 2018 at 4:43 PM

Castrate, then BOIL him!! 👍

jim graves May 24, 2018 at 11:04 AM

doesnt matter Gov Brown will pardon him and he will be running for mayor of patterson next election. (im exasperted with catch and release obviously)

Lena May 24, 2018 at 11:02 PM

Or, Brown will pardon him and North Hollywood will give him the Keys To The City then declare it to be “Otto Halafihi Day.”

Law Dog May 24, 2018 at 11:21 AM

Great News !

The Animal May 24, 2018 at 11:31 AM

Bring back public hangings…………………………

Nutcreek Frontier May 24, 2018 at 11:32 AM

Am just so happy that this villain was caught! I love how everyone banded together to share his photo, and were in agreement that some crimes just won’t be tolerated. Might make the next thug think twice before mugging our fragile elderly. Nice job Claycord and CPD for keeping this crime in the public’s eye.

palermo May 24, 2018 at 11:34 AM

Doctors will tell you that one fall in an elderly person can cause their death, usually within a year. I hope this guy gets the book thrown at him

Silva May 24, 2018 at 4:05 PM

That unfortuneately is the truth. I’m praying for her full recovery. I really hope she’s at home by now, or very soon, and back to moving all over the place again.

Kelli May 24, 2018 at 11:36 AM

Great Job to the Police and Thank You to all that help get this POS behind bars!! He should not get out for a long time!! My prayers and love go out to the two ladies involved and injured!!!

Notyouraveragemom. May 24, 2018 at 11:39 AM

👏👏👏👏👏👏🙌

Notyouraverage May 24, 2018 at 11:41 AM

Good job!

martinezmike May 24, 2018 at 11:48 AM

Throwing the book at him will do no good. Todays book is a comic book. I would not be surprised if he’s already back on the streets.

Stove May 24, 2018 at 11:48 AM

Cut off his right hand, he wont be doing it again then!!!! We need to bring this punishment back to thieves and burglars, IT WOULD DETER CRIME 100%, since our politicians don’t care and are useless.

Watching May 24, 2018 at 7:41 PM

Agreed

honeybun May 24, 2018 at 12:12 PM

what a dirtball.

Anonymous May 24, 2018 at 12:12 PM

Yes, a fall can lead to end of life in a senior citizen of advanced age. Hip fractures or breaks surely can. This guy should also be charged with all her medical bills. I hope he gets some serious jail time.

This attack was scary, as my first though was mall parking lot out behind Sears, not good. But this was AT THE FRONT DOOR of the bank! Right there in the handicap parking. One would think you can’t get a closer, safer, spot than that.

Get Off My Lawn May 24, 2018 at 12:51 PM

My grandmother died at 93, a few weeks after a fall where she broke her arm. This POS may well cause this 93 year old to wither or die due to the injuries he inflicted, not to mention the emotional distress.

Hope he does indeed get the book thrown at him. And let’s keep the victims in our prayers. Hope they both recover fully.

2 Cents May 24, 2018 at 12:57 PM

People shoot you for looking at them sideways. This guy throws elderly women down for 4 dollars in their purse. 16 year old in Jeep runs over and kills Police woman. Kid in Texas shoots girl in the face for not wanting to date him, plus kills 9 others.
I’m sorry but the President is right!! As he said about MS13, Their Animals!!

Doh May 24, 2018 at 2:28 PM

He is not from Latin America. He’s a Pacific Islander. I’m not defending MS-13 members but this guy isn’t. .

Silva May 24, 2018 at 4:09 PM

No. Not right. Animals do not behave like this.

Foonman May 24, 2018 at 1:22 PM

If it was his mother or grandmother that turned in the info on him, I would be pleased……

Right Here Right Now May 24, 2018 at 1:29 PM

Let’s not jump to conclusions. The perp was reported to have gauges and I don’t see them on this guy. Let the prosecutor do the job and we’ll see if they got the right dude.

Simonpure May 24, 2018 at 1:52 PM

Too funny. The guy turned himself in.

Pico May 24, 2018 at 2:28 PM

HE TURNED HIMSELF IN

NoMoreFreeRide May 24, 2018 at 2:43 PM

Brilliant!

Sign from Above May 24, 2018 at 3:06 PM

@ Right Here………I sure hope you’re being sarcastic!! As Simonpure says, he turned himself in. Innocent people usually don’t do that! Just saying!

Right Here Right Now May 24, 2018 at 7:14 PM

Turning yourself in does not equal admission of guilt. Doesn’t anyone on this site know how the criminal system works???

SF oh May 24, 2018 at 8:00 PM

He has a tattoo visible on his right arm in the surveillance photos. Hopefully, the cops noticed that and checked for the tattoo on this guy.

Bob May 24, 2018 at 2:23 PM

It would be helpful know the type of camera used in his capture–most camera shots are not worth much–this one was outstanding-what kind of camera was it?

Thanks

WC Resident May 24, 2018 at 4:18 PM

The guy made the mistake of wandering into a bank branch, wandering out, and then mugging people. The photos are from the bank cameras.

Concord Mike May 24, 2018 at 2:35 PM

Another criminal caught quickly thanks to recording cameras.

Concord needs to make room in the budget for cameras at all city entrances and exits.

Criminals know which cities have good technology and which are last century.

ggg May 25, 2018 at 10:09 AM

I agree with Concord Mike, as usual.

Same May 24, 2018 at 2:43 PM

Dang. I thought for sure they would have to drag him away from a buffet line.

Aspirin May 24, 2018 at 5:22 PM

Prison inmates have ways to deal with inmates who beat up old ladies.

G. May 25, 2018 at 8:36 AM

Yeah, like a pat on the back and a proposed strategy on how not to get caught next time.

susanne May 24, 2018 at 5:34 PM

He better pray that the 93 year old survives the hip replacement surgery needed as a result of his dumb ass. I hope she is able to survive. My thoughts and prayers go out to her and her family. There is absolutely no justification, excuse, rationalization for his disgusting actions.

335 May 24, 2018 at 6:06 PM

Great! Now he wouldn’t be able to do this crap again.

Lambie May 24, 2018 at 7:14 PM

I think it is a different guy, but looks similar. That would explain why he turned himself in.

Silva May 24, 2018 at 7:46 PM

I just took a better look at him. This guy isn’t the same one in the photos.

Sign from Above May 25, 2018 at 8:26 AM

Again……He turned himself in after running to Patterson!

chuckie the troll May 24, 2018 at 7:55 PM

If this guy is invited to a Pinata Party as the ‘guest of honor’, I suggest a heavy duty rope and aluminum bats. And you’ll need 4 or 5 strong people to change his elevation.

IS this guy just acting, or is he stuck on stupid?

PH Granny May 24, 2018 at 8:48 PM

Evil.

Big Rob May 25, 2018 at 12:07 PM

As big as he is, he should have been on the grid iron knocking down linebackers instead of being on the streets knocking down old ladys!!