Data Leak May Have Affected Patients At Muir Medical Group IPA

May 22, 2018 19:00 pm · 8 comments

Muir Medical Group patients who received treatment between November 2013 and February 2017 may have had their personal information shared without their consent, the company reported.

The Walnut Creek-based firm discovered the leak on March 7 after a former employee took information with her before her employment ended, according to the company.

This information included medical information, such as diagnoses, test results, medication and other treatment info. It also included names, social security numbers, addresses and contact details.

Muir IPA is an independent physician’s association representing several doctors in the East Bay. The company is “taking this matter very seriously,” according to a company officials, and all the affected patients
have been notified.

The company is also offering affected individuals free credit card monitoring services and has hired a “leading forensic company” to investigate the data disclosure.

Anyone who is affected by the leak can call (833) 221-9225 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays for more information.

ZZ May 22, 2018 at 8:04 PM

Nothing is secure anywhere…

George May 22, 2018 at 8:55 PM

I hope they arrested the former employee.

Reality says... May 23, 2018 at 6:51 AM

I would call this theft, not a leak. Your biggest vulnerability is always your employee base.

KB May 24, 2018 at 3:59 PM

I agree. I went to John Muir in 2013, and I was also a victim at Washington Mutual in 2007. An employee at the Fairfield branch stole a bunch of peoples’ info and created checks and credit cards with the info. Luckily, it was solved pretty fast bc they just happened to be investigating an unrelated homicide and found everyone’s stolen info scattered across the floor of a house in a nearby city.

Michael May 23, 2018 at 9:39 AM

What is not made clear is whether this was a disclosure for identity theft or some other criminal act. Potentially the data may have been inappropriately shared for medical research.

Mrs. Brown May 23, 2018 at 8:31 PM

I call it theft too…I’m going to tell that to them next time they ask me for money. Return my identity! I mean I don’t want to pay for being misdiagnosed more than once but I do like a damn sucker. For example I had a large inpassable kidney stone and they sent me home with unexplained back pain. 10k later the only favor she did was get my CT out of the way.

Barbie Girl May 23, 2018 at 8:59 PM

My daughter had her Social Security Number stolen from Children’s Hospital a few years back. We didn’t discover it until we went to open a bank account for her years later. They told us the number belonged to Carlos Gonzales. Good thing i had her original Card etc. It took months of paperwork, police reports, court docs to clear it up. Ugh, now we have to deal with John Manure’s Identity Theft. They called but didnt leave a message. I found out thru Claycord. Its bad enough I had “Doctor Pervy” last year. I still haven’t found a replacement doctor afterr they fired him .

Jjshields May 24, 2018 at 4:43 PM

How do you find out which doctors and patients are affected besides doing a credit check? Or will they contact you?