The Water Cooler – Where Did You Grow Up?

May 15, 2018 12:00 pm · 48 comments

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday in the noon hour.

Where did you grow up (city, state), and if you ended up moving away from your hometown, why did you move?

Talk about it….

Original G May 15, 2018 at 12:05 PM

Clayton.

AnonZ May 15, 2018 at 12:07 PM

Concord. My parents still live in the house I grew up in.

I haven’t moved away but am planning on it as soon as I can. Sick of the crime, traffic, sh*tty people, high cost of living, etc. etc.

Concordejet May 15, 2018 at 12:11 PM

Stuck in Lodi

Couch Tomato May 16, 2018 at 11:47 AM

Again?

Suzanne May 15, 2018 at 12:12 PM

Sacramento until I was about 7 then to Dublin (CA). Dad worked for Aerojet then later LLNL Man, does he have some stories to tell!

Dawg May 15, 2018 at 12:13 PM

Grew up in San Francisco and moved to Concord in the early 80’s to buy a house.

Mimi (original) May 15, 2018 at 12:23 PM

Born in downtown Los Angeles and raised in Westchester, CA (just north of LAX). Left there at 24. Since then I’ve lived in Sunnyvale/Cupertino, Palm Springs, and finally, Concord – for the last 22 years….hoping to move somewhere more affordable for retirement…haven’t decided where yet!

Smart Guy May 15, 2018 at 12:29 PM

I’m still growing and I’ll probably never get completely grown up.

As for location?

Too many to mention. We moved around a lot.

SFSean76 May 15, 2018 at 12:36 PM

Hoffman Estates and Naperville, IL

Ahh, No May 15, 2018 at 1:07 PM

Orland Park, IL south suburb of Chicago. Moved for better quality of life, and contrary to all the people that complain about California I’m happy with the decision.

BH May 15, 2018 at 12:53 PM

Deep River, Ontario…great place to grow up. Snowed like hell, but wonderful memories as a child.

Ellen Teapot May 15, 2018 at 1:27 PM

Born and raised in the suburbs of Tampa, Florida. Moved to California to advance my career and settle down in a community both that’s more accepting *and* mostly won’t be underwater in a few decades.

There are quality-of-life problems here to be sure – we need to house the homeless, fix our roads and transit, and so on. But here it feels like problems we can solve.

Taxed out May 15, 2018 at 6:04 PM

I disagree WE need to house the homeless. The homeless need to house themselves and work hard like everyone else.

Oracle May 15, 2018 at 1:41 PM

I grew up in Walnut Creek where my parents still live (in my childhood home). I moved to PH to live with my now husband.
Walnut Creek was an amazing place to grow up in when I was younger. Now its different though. Lots of fond memories of places that are long since gone.

Concordian May 15, 2018 at 1:42 PM

Born in Washington DC, grew up in Kensington, Md. Moved to Solano Beach in north San Diego County for college years, then moved to Berkeley for career start, then bought home in Concord 26 years ago…just made last mortgage payment yesterday.

Gitittogether May 15, 2018 at 2:56 PM

Fantastic! Not a lot of people stay and pay off a 30 year mortgage anymore.

Justifiable Languor May 15, 2018 at 5:09 PM

Congrats Concordian. Feels good doesn’t it!!

Cowellian May 15, 2018 at 1:48 PM

East Nashville, before it became so hip!

THE ANIMAL May 15, 2018 at 1:54 PM

Born in ”pissburg” in August ’51 , moved to Concord In December ’51.
Concord was a great place to grow up in till the ’80’s , went to s@%$
since then. I plan to move soon to either Oregon or Nevada soon……….

Roz May 15, 2018 at 1:54 PM

Born in Alhambra, CA,…grew up in Martinez/Pleasant Hill, CA,…bought what we could afford in 1979, in Concord, CA.

RunnerDope May 15, 2018 at 1:55 PM

I grew up in Palo Alto, but moved to WC in the ’60s. I thought it would be good to stay with my parents since I was in 7th grade.

TIFOKCIS May 15, 2018 at 2:02 PM

Lived in Concord since I was 3 years old. Yes Concord has always had its ‘elements’ but like THE ANIMAL stated and its true. Concord started going down the tubes in the 80’s. Didn’t MTV go cRAP in the 80’s.

But hey, we do have a Golden Corral and the fine specimens attracted to fake food.

Kirkwood May 15, 2018 at 3:31 PM

Born in Orinda and moved to rural El Sobrante after the war. Kids had a whole lot more freedom to roam than today. Moved to Concord in 1950. Back then the city limit was at the cemetery and all of Ygnacio Valley was orchards..
Something no one notices now is the pervasive urban noise. Back in the 40’s we could hear the steam locomotives in the Richmond rail yards from our hilltop house in El Sobrante..

Silva May 15, 2018 at 4:57 PM

It is so true what you about all the noise, Kirkwood. Was Canyon pool in El Sobrante opened before you moved away? I learned to swim there in the 50s.

Kirkwood May 16, 2018 at 10:03 AM

Never heard of that, or any pool in El Sobrante! Marsh Creek Country Club had several names over the years. We had our Junior or Senior picnic there in ’56 or ’57, I think it was Marsh Creek Lodge. Family went to Mitchell Canyon park/pool and Castle Rock.

Lela May 16, 2018 at 4:57 PM

There was a Russelman Park out Marsh Creek Road in the 50s-60s for swimming. There was also another swimming park out Marsh Creek Road we went to in the 50s, but I can’t remember the name. A Castle Rock Park at the end of Oak Grove had swimming too, if I’m not mistaken, about the same time. I think our Senior Picnic was at Castle Rock. It’s still there but I don’t know if you can still swim there.

Silva May 16, 2018 at 5:46 PM

Marsh Creek Lodge sounds familiar too. If it had an upper and lower swimming pool that’s the one I (vaguely) remember. The upper pool had salt water in it. Not sure why. I think they had a golf course, and I know there were horses. We could still pick out their driveway and bridge over Marsh Creek in the 60s and 70s, and some of the 80s.

Last time I was at Castle Rock 2 or 3 years ago there was a small pool open.

BillyBlatt May 15, 2018 at 4:07 PM

Moved to Concord in 1980 at the age of 9………went to Silverwood, Pine Hollow and then CVHS………..moved to Tracy in 1993, then to Modesto to buy a house in 2001

Silva May 15, 2018 at 4:40 PM

Born in the mid 1950s, my mom’s fishing poles were liberated out of the trunk of her car outside her cute cottage in Richmond at 21st and Barrett, and we moved to an apartment in El Cerrito when I was a year old. Sometimes on weekends she drove us out to the Marsh Creek Country Club in around 57 – 59 to picnic, hike around and swim. I was too young for the horses.😔 Boy was it all different then! Rural, rural, and more rural. We moved to Lafayette in 1960, then to Claycord in 1971, and I left for West Oakland in 78 when I was grown. It was a good time to be here.

Peter May 15, 2018 at 5:12 PM

Born in Carmel,raised in Orinda

Justifiable Languor May 15, 2018 at 5:14 PM

Grew up in SoCal. Moved to WC in the 60’s. Lived in the area until I bought a home in Claycord. CoCo has gone through a lot of changes, but the weather is still great and it’s still beautiful in many areas. Access to so many activities is fabulous!

Concord 1970 May 15, 2018 at 5:25 PM

Born and raised in concord
Moved to pleasant hill in 1991
Bought house still here!!!
Both parents raised in pleasant hill
When they married bought home off claycord..
True Claycordian here!!

Mrs. Z May 15, 2018 at 5:36 PM

San Ramon. My parents bought a house there in 1968 for 22k. It backed up to the train tracks, now the Iron Horse trail, with the creek just over the rr tracks. Sigh. I can’t afford to live there now but still work there.

Jack May 15, 2018 at 5:48 PM

Grew up between Concord and Antioch.. starting a family now and want to raise my kids elsewhere.. Bay Area is not the same place it used to be before silicone valley blew up and change the landscape

Celtgrl May 15, 2018 at 5:54 PM

I was born in Oakland, lived in Berkeley until my Mom decided Concord would be a better place for me to attend Jr. High and High school so we moved to Concord when I was 12 in 1977. Have lived here and raised my family in the Clayton area. I still miss the cooler weather of Berkeley, I’ve never gotten use to the Hot Summers of Concord.

Jack's Fan May 15, 2018 at 6:00 PM

Grew up in Capitola, amazing place to be a kid. Never thought I would live anywhere else, but I left for Santa Monica, then back to WC/Concord/Clayton for work and to raise a family. Still love Capitola and Santa Cruz, but it is too congested and overpriced for what it is now. Happy just to visit family down there on weekends.

Scoob May 15, 2018 at 6:07 PM

Another Concord native here. My Mom is still in the house I grew up in. I too am considering a move to the Pacific Northwest. When you watch your town go from rural, to suburban, to urban in your lifetime, the change makes you want to move somewhere like your town used to be.

Captain Bebops May 15, 2018 at 6:11 PM

Grew up in a small town in Eastern Washington but the family often visited relatives in the SF Bay Area each summer. I went to college in Seattle (UW) and spent most of the 1970s there. In the 1980s I got stuck back home teaching and playing music. Bought a computer and taught myself programming (with some help from some friends who were pros). That led me to working with companies in the Bay Area and finally moving here.

Lela May 15, 2018 at 6:57 PM

A lifelong California resident, I was born in San Francisco and lived in Northern California until age three when we moved to Los Angeles for three years. In 1949 my parents moved back to the Bay Area, Concord to be specific, and bought a walnut orchard. My parents farmed walnuts there on two acres until 1958 when they bought a house in Clayton. I moved back to Clayton after having lived in Oakland, Berkeley, Lafayette, Walnut Creek and Sacramento while a student and during the time I was working.

East bay Native May 15, 2018 at 8:26 PM

Born in Oakland and raised in Antioch and Walnut Creek. I’ve been here all my life and love the scenery and climate that the bay area offers. Unfortunately due to the politics, the empathetic stance this state has on crime, and the never ending, numbing amount of traffic, Washington, Idaho or Massachusetts sound inviting.

Jess May 15, 2018 at 11:06 PM

I grew up in Oakland. Moved here because the apartments were larger for the price. Then bought a house here cause I wanted to stay in this area.

Sandy May 15, 2018 at 11:19 PM

Concord… Moved here in 4th grade 1964. Have watched Concord GROW into a large city. My sis and I would ride our horses to the Library, tie them to a tree and go into library. We rode everywhere in town as kids, Now No way. Traffic is crazy plus Traffic lights every corner almost.
I love Concord, will stay until I die

DD May 16, 2018 at 6:27 AM

Born and raised in Concord. Was a great place to live in the 60’s and 70’s but took a nosedive fast. Live in Solano County now but drive through the old neighborhood when I’m in the area but find the bars on the windows depressing.

Karin Learned May 16, 2018 at 8:32 AM

Born in East Berlin, Germany. Immigrated to Paris France then to Toronto and Vancouver Canada respectively. We moved to the San Francisco/Bay Area in the early 60’s and I have been here ever since. The reason we moved to CA in particular….the weather.

Jim May 16, 2018 at 9:40 AM

My parents moved to Concord in 1964 when I was 2. Attended Holbrook, Sun Terrace, Woodside. We moved to Walnut Creek in about 73. Attended Foothill and Northgate. I moved back in 1981. My kids attended Silverwood, Pine Hollow and Clayton Valley.
My dad was a Concord police officer for many years. Most of the crime is still in the same areas it was in the 60’s. For all of the goody two shoes urban planners out there, crime concentrates around “affordable” housing and transit centers.
I will always have a spot in my heart for Concord. I think it’s pretty nice, even with the growing pains that time brings to all things.

Judas May 16, 2018 at 9:55 AM

The spice mines of Kessel.

Randy May 16, 2018 at 11:06 AM

Concord.

Went to Williams Elementary School.

Pony May 16, 2018 at 6:27 PM

You are assuming I have grown up.
Born Chattanooga Tennessee, went to grade school in Lima Ohio then moved to Fargo North Dakota