Man Spots Four Snakes In One Day On Ygnacio Valley Rd., Other Streets

May 15, 2018 10:00 am · 26 comments

Snakes, snakes and more snakes! Lately, we’ve been getting an unusually high amount of snake sightings in neighborhoods and on roadways.

Here’s another, and another, and another, and another.

I’m writing to you in hopes of informing the community on my recent rattlesnake sightings.

I was born and raised in the east bay and now live in Walnut Creek. In my 31 years here, I have not seen Rattlesnakes outside of state parks or open areas. After getting home from work this evening, I spotted a baby Rattlesnake in the street directly in front of my house that appeared to have been ran over by a car. I was a little shaken up as I have a young child and pets.

After a long talk with my daughter about snake safety, it was off to dinner. Still a little uneasy from the sighting, I was on the look out. What I saw next was almost a scene from a horror movie. 3 snakes in the street gutter on west bound Ygnacio Valley Rd. at Marchbanks. The closest snake in the photo doesn’t appear to be rattler but the other 2 appear to be.

As I said earlier, I have never seen a snake outside of a state park or open area, and have seen 4 in the same day. This seems unusual to me, but maybe I didn’t pay the attention in the past. Either way, please inform your children of the dangers of rattle snakes.

Thanks for the email. Be safe.

Lela May 15, 2018 at 10:04 AM

They all appear to be dead.

Suzanne May 15, 2018 at 10:19 AM

Were they all dead? One in the photo looks to be alive. I wonder if someone dumped them after killing them?

It is snake season and I think with the cooler recent temps, they are coming out onto the streets hoping to warm up.

Silva May 15, 2018 at 10:44 AM

Alrighty then! Thanks. Make noise (noisy shoes and/or walk heavily) and be on the lookout what you’re approaching and where you’re putting your feet or wheels. One is dead, probably run over while crossing the street. The other two look okay from here.

Ricardoh May 15, 2018 at 11:09 AM

Should make the Diablo Hills golfers feel better. Little rattlers are worse than big ones and harder to see in the grass. You can always golf wearing stove pipes around your ankles. If you go out of bounds don’t pick up your ball use your club to knock the ball back in bounds.

Dltravers May 15, 2018 at 11:25 AM

The Chinese use snakes to help predict earthquakes. THEY say that erratic snake behavior is a good indicator of an impending earthquake.

Bishop Estates May 15, 2018 at 12:06 PM

and we had one yesterday….. interesting

Suzanne May 15, 2018 at 12:16 PM

There was an earthquake near Oakland last night. But I’m pretty sure by erratic, they didn’t mean dead! hah!

Oracle May 15, 2018 at 11:40 AM

No thank you. I am all good with pet snakes etc but if I saw that I would be pretty grossed out.

Dawg May 15, 2018 at 12:10 PM

Don’t touch them even if they are dead, dead snakes can still bite you and inject venom. Reptiles have a lower metabolism, so their internal organs stay alive longer and they are still able to bite even if their head has been severed.

Homer May 15, 2018 at 12:15 PM

I live off Marchbanks and can confirm that all 3 snakes were dead since I spotted them first thing on Sunday. Strange they are all dead and in the same area. I suspect someone dumped them…

Charlie May 15, 2018 at 12:26 PM

Sounds like it. Thank you for posting.

WC resident May 15, 2018 at 12:24 PM

The two snakes that can be seen clearly are gopher snakes which are harmless to people. I have seen king snakes in this area catch, kill, and eat rattlesnakes. I suspect a gopher snake would do the same and so it’s good news that they are in the area. The third snake is off in the distance and I would suspect it’s also a gopher snake.

Gopher snakes can mimic rattlesnakes. When disturbed, they will coil up, shake their tail, and strike if you get too close. A rattlesnake has a much wider triangle shaped head.

It seems odd that the snakes are in the gutter like that. Did someone dump them there? I’m wondering if someone is poisoning rodents in that area. I’m not sure what a snake’s behavior is when it then catches and eats a poisoned rodent and if they would then be inclined to go to the gutter before dying.

Had those snakes been in front of my house I would move them into my back yard. If they are dead then they can go in the compost pile.

Suzanne May 15, 2018 at 1:02 PM

That makes sense. I suppose if they had eaten rat poison from eating a rat they would head for water (due to the desiccant). Maybe there was water in the gutter at the time, or they smelled it. Sad, poor snakies!

I pet a gopher snake while on a trail once (yes, I knew it was a gopher snake and not a rattler). He was stretched out straight warming up in the sun. When I pet him he shook his tail which was resting in some dry leaves and it made a rattling sound. I swear I jumped backwards about 10 feet! Good times!

Silva May 16, 2018 at 12:04 PM

I knew birds die from eating poisoned rodents all the time. Never heard about snakes. That could be because Herpetology conservationist organizations haven’t got my email yet. It must be happening though.

Mimi (original) May 15, 2018 at 12:25 PM

Oh dear GAWD!! When pulling some very tall weeds a few weeks ago discovered a small snake’s skin in the weeks. Surprisingly I didn’t scream out loud but I was Much more cautious as I continued weeding!

anon May 15, 2018 at 12:37 PM

Sunday a.m. I was driving up Ygnacio Valley and I saw one of these snakes along the curb near the sulfur springs below St John Vianney church. At the time, I wasn’t sure if it was really a snake, but now I know it was.

iKrissy May 15, 2018 at 12:59 PM

I saved a gopher snake heading on to Bailey Road at Laura Drive, full grown adult last Saturday morning. I scooted him/her with my foot to direct towards the creek bed under the bridge. It was not aggressive or agitated by my helping him. These are great snakes!

Hill May 15, 2018 at 1:02 PM

So here’s a question. When people rent goats to clear fields, do the goats ever get but and die?

Suzanne May 15, 2018 at 1:28 PM

I’m sure they do. Collateral damage. But animals have better senses than humans. They can detect a snake easier so they don’t get “but”. 😉

Silva May 16, 2018 at 11:57 AM

I bet snakes and other smaller critters aren’t often caught unawares by those goatherds.

L May 15, 2018 at 1:16 PM

We’re these two in top picture on ygnacio near golf course/open field, I saw them on Sunday and was surprised …..

LostBoysMom May 15, 2018 at 4:03 PM

Are you sure they weren’t corn snakes? LOL

Get Off My Lawn May 15, 2018 at 4:42 PM

If Exodus is any indication next up we’ll have frogs and gnats.

chuckie the troll May 16, 2018 at 8:42 AM

Why did the snake cross the road?…

Kirkwood May 16, 2018 at 10:15 AM

To prove to the possum it CAN be done.

The Professor May 16, 2018 at 10:31 AM

I am never afraid of hiking near poisonous snakes because I always walk with my pet mongoose.