Concord Police Release Results Of Friday Night DUI Checkpoint

May 15, 2018 17:00 pm · 46 comments

The Concord Police Department Traffic Unit conducted a DUI Checkpoint on May 11, 2018, at Clayton Rd. and Ayers Rd. between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 3:00 a.m.

Results of the checkpoint are as follows:

• 572 Vehicles Screened
  • 0 DUI-Alcohol suspects arrested
  • 0 DUI-Drug impaired suspects arrested
  • 0 Arrested on other Criminal Charges

Concord Police will be conducting additional DUI Checkpoints and DUI saturation patrols in the future in our ongoing commitment to lowering deaths and injuries upon our streets and highways.

The checkpoint was funded by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, reminding everyone to ‘Report Drunk Driver – Call 9-1-1’.

photo: Claycord file photo

NoMoreFreeRide May 15, 2018 at 5:05 PM

Has to be the worst place for a DUI checkpoint. Monument and Concord Ave.

Reality says... May 15, 2018 at 6:11 PM

Slappy May 15, 2018 at 10:19 PM

Agreed! May 16, 2018 at 3:01 PM

ManBearPig May 15, 2018 at 5:26 PM

Stick to the saturation patrol method since you catch more of em that way plus look for other violations.

JDH May 16, 2018 at 8:59 AM

Freedom of speech May 15, 2018 at 5:32 PM

How about checking for no front plates, expired license and registration, no insurance and stupidity

That Guy May 15, 2018 at 7:43 PM

Yeah, let me drill holes in the bumpers on my cars so I can run ugly ass plates on them. Not going to happen, I’ll take a ticket before I do that.

Calibaby May 15, 2018 at 10:27 PM

My SUV has no place for me to install myself. Dealer sold it that way and they want me to pay them $300 for a license plate holder. Screw that and 5 years later still using no front plate. It’s required by law and the dealership should make sure all vehicles have front license plate holder when sold if you want me to use. My front plate is in the front window and will stay that way. Lesson learned and i will always pay attention to that now when I buy a car.

That Guy May 15, 2018 at 11:12 PM

@ Calibaby

Having the plate in your front window is the same as having no plate at all. Have it mounted on the front of the car or leave it at home.

Dawg May 15, 2018 at 11:57 PM

A front plate on a Corvette? Surely you jest. Most cops appreciate nice cars and look the other way.

3rdrailian May 16, 2018 at 8:32 AM

I got dinged for no front plate on my CX-5 while parked in SF.

the threat is real…

sideline May 15, 2018 at 5:40 PM

lol, not the best place to do a DUI check point.

Reality says... May 15, 2018 at 6:11 PM

572 for 0 returns…x how many officers? Waste of my money people.

Pony May 15, 2018 at 6:25 PM

Looks like a waste of money. I’d say the bad guys are going around the checkpoints

Craig Cannon May 15, 2018 at 6:34 PM

I went through that one at about 12AM. It was notable the many cars making left turns just prior. It was visible well before a commitment could be made. I imagine all those who had been indulging probably turned to avoid it…

ManBearPig May 15, 2018 at 6:59 PM

There’s case law that requires them to do certain things, things which seem contrary to the point of enforcement.

Bob Wiley May 15, 2018 at 6:55 PM

Excellent choice to waste the taxpayer money. Almost as good as the “patch jobs” that caltrans does on every roadway. Don’t patrol the streets like you’re supposed to. Don’t protect and serve the citizens. Don’t do it the correct way. Do it the easy cheap way. Results are overrated.

Dorothy May 15, 2018 at 7:10 PM

Aren’t the location and time of check points broadcast way ahead of time? I like Freedom of speech’s ideas too. Make the check points useful for something since it caught 0 anything.

JazzMan May 15, 2018 at 7:14 PM

Good job CPD! Keeping the public in line, and violaters off the street.

ANON May 15, 2018 at 7:23 PM

I know a lot of cops who laugh at this — no tickets for:
572 Vehicles Screened
are you kidding ???
all were legal???
I drive this city 7 days a week & see 30-50 things I could write a ticket for without the vehicle moving

Pffff May 15, 2018 at 7:25 PM

Where’s the Gang of Stoned People Driving impaired because its legal Now?

Alejandro Pico May 16, 2018 at 8:04 AM

Oh snap. Get em on camera

frenchdawg May 16, 2018 at 8:52 PM

Was thinking the same thing seems like a lot of paranoia about stoned drivers wreaking havoc on our roads

ANON May 15, 2018 at 7:35 PM

ULTRA BAD PLANNING:

ROOKIE MOVE CPD- WASTE OF OUR TAX MONEY

Law Dog May 15, 2018 at 7:44 PM

Sounds like they need to change things up to catch the bad guys.

WC resident May 15, 2018 at 7:50 PM

Zero offenders spotted seems like good news. It would be nice had officers also been stationed in the area around the checkpoint to check for violations much like how saturation patrols are handled.

Citizen May 15, 2018 at 7:55 PM

Better find a better place!

DONK May 15, 2018 at 8:19 PM

it looked rather sad. worst location ever.

dltravers May 15, 2018 at 8:27 PM

We would be better off if they were serving warrants on high risk criminals in the community. No better way to reduce crime than getting those high risk repeat offenders off the streets.

Deez Cups May 15, 2018 at 8:57 PM

The real ones went down concord ave

Ladyceee May 15, 2018 at 9:24 PM

I was one of the 572 cars stopped, I could tell about two lights prior what was going on, a huge number of cars were turning to avoid the check point. How about having officers waiting before to stop those detouring?????? Just a thought. PS I counted at least 20 officers there! Excessive much?

Jessdigs May 16, 2018 at 5:18 AM

It is illegal to stop the people that legally turn to avoid the checkpoint. There are some (corrupt) police departments that do this, but it is not legal to do so. They have to give you a legal opportunity to turn before you are committed. This could just be a sign that people know better than drinking and driving. My co workers and me went out drinking Friday night after work. We drove from work to my house, ubered to Todos Santos, had a great time, and ubered home.

Runaround Blue May 16, 2018 at 7:13 AM

It’s not against any law to turn off to avoid a checkpoint.

George May 15, 2018 at 10:14 PM

What is the real point here? Show numbers and get extra money from the state?

Miller May 15, 2018 at 10:16 PM

Departments that want to catch DUI drivers run saturation patrols, not checkpoints. This was for finding offenses to split the tow/impound fees without probable cause.

Are we missing the statistic about how many cars were towed and impounded without an arrest?

BagsFlyFree May 15, 2018 at 11:11 PM

Saturation patrols are the only way. With live maps, social media, and Waze around, these checkpoints are becoming less effective. Spend the same money and have the bonus of catching crimes in progress with 10-15 more police on the roads.

BFF Out!

Jack's Fan May 15, 2018 at 11:13 PM

When I was living in Los Angeles they would have motorcycle patrols hanging back a few blocks and would stop anybody who made an abrupt u-turn or hard left before the checkpoint.

Original G May 16, 2018 at 12:46 AM

In short a waste of Grant monies.

KenInConcord May 16, 2018 at 3:19 AM

I’ve been thru check points at this same location in the past. This is a OFFICER OVERTIME PARTY! Seriously one motor unit on Monument Blvd would have produced more citations than five of these useless events.

Alejandro Pico May 16, 2018 at 8:06 AM

The last one was on monument and was zero too.

Over here! May 16, 2018 at 4:44 AM

Patrolling Sun Valley area would have yielded better results, they’re hanging out at the three sports bars the City approved adjacent to a residential area.

Smart Guy May 16, 2018 at 7:13 AM

This tells me that 572 drivers are responsible and accountable.

How can that be a bad thing?

BroncoDonco May 16, 2018 at 7:44 AM

LMAO, what are they trying to do? Make this area look good? SMH, waste of money, I know a lot of areas where they would have been better results and perpetrators caught. P.S. the officers are doing their job, yet it is the police department that should be a concern.

USA May 16, 2018 at 8:45 AM

#FAIL

Reminds me of a quote from Smokey and the Bandit.

“You sumbiches could’t close an umbrella”

Checkpoint 101 – don’t provide easy turnouts and have an element of surprise

Bill Cutting May 16, 2018 at 3:38 PM

You should do what the Walnut Creek police do they drive by all the bars scope out whose cars are there then they wait down the street for said cars …bust them…. (oooo making waves) and then deny entrapment in court. It’s the perfect way to bilk money out of citizens selling something legally and then bust you for using it…. I think the real question is do you Get a DUI if you’re in a driverless car in the future if you had a few too many sitting back as the computer drives you home?